What’s up with Fresno?

Comments

• JimmyV said:
    It's not an attack on the Fresno which we all do know is the American Paris. 
     :D 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,814
    edited April 2022
    I think it goes beyond Fresno to be honest.  If you look at the entire May leg, has there ever been a run of shows with this many really good seats available?

You can go on TM right and grab an excellent face value ticket for any of the shows in May

I really think it’s more related to the 7 weeks of notice coupled with an increasingly difficult financial state for many people as opposed to Fresno just being a bad decision 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • I wish we had these problems on the east coast! Seriously, if there was any possibility, I would jump on a plane and fly across the country just for this show. But, responsibilities don't allow that to happen. I hope everyone going has a great time!
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    I think it goes beyond Fresno to be honest.  If you look at the entire May leg, has there ever been a run of shows with this many really good seats available?

You can go on TM right and grab an excellent face value ticket for any of the shows in May

I really think it’s more related to the 7 weeks of notice coupled with an increasingly difficult financial state for many people as opposed to Fresno just being a bad decision 
    I agree about the short notice. The most significant reason I haven't attended many Pearl Jam shows lately. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    With the unpredictability of future Covid waves short notice might become the norm.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124

This is a big factor. May was never really an option for me because work is so booked up. I looked at LA but already have other tickets that Saturday night. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Posts: 2,209
    edited April 2022

Sounds like the 9 most special shows ever are coming.  The Special Leg.
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • I think it goes beyond Fresno to be honest.  If you look at the entire May leg, has there ever been a run of shows with this many really good seats available?

Excellent point. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I have a friend that moved to Fresno. She is 15 min from the arena. Fresno natives are not your typical PJ demographic. And to get to Fresno from SF is a pain in the ass, it was like a 3-3.5 hr drive. The same as driving NYC to Baltimore. But to go to Fresno. There is really no reason to go to Fresno as a tourist. It’s a farming town.

Even though my friend lives there, I’m not going to the Fresno show. Too much of a pain in the ass to get there. It’s in the middle of nowhere.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I have a friend that moved to Fresno. She is 15 min from the arena. Fresno natives are not your typical PJ demographic. And to get to Fresno from SF is a pain in the ass, it was like a 3-3.5 hr drive. The same as driving NYC to Baltimore. But to go to Fresno. There is really no reason to go to Fresno as a tourist. It’s a farming town.

Even though my friend lives there, I’m not going to the Fresno show. Too much of a pain in the ass to get there. It’s in the middle of nowhere.
    Man, I wish had these problems. If a show is within a 3-3.5 hr drive from me, I'm 100% going. When OKC showed up on the list for 2020, I was ecstatic: 3:25 from my house? Woohoo!! Even St. Louis (5+ hours) is a no-brainer for me. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    I have a friend that moved to Fresno. She is 15 min from the arena. Fresno natives are not your typical PJ demographic. And to get to Fresno from SF is a pain in the ass, it was like a 3-3.5 hr drive. The same as driving NYC to Baltimore. But to go to Fresno. There is really no reason to go to Fresno as a tourist. It’s a farming town.

No reason to go to Baltimore either.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    I wish we had these problems on the east coast! Seriously, if there was any possibility, I would jump on a plane and fly across the country just for this show. But, responsibilities don't allow that to happen. I hope everyone going has a great time!

Yeah, for all my bitching I’d love to spend 3-4 days in LA and catch those two shows, but it’s not easy decision. Any flight after 8am from NY is going to be north of $600 plus the risk of having flight canceled. Leave a day early just to protect against a canceled flight? LA is perfect for NYers because a mid morning flight arrives around noon so plenty of time to fly out same day, but trusting the airlines with the cost of 2 or 4 tickets plus 3-4 nites at a hotel. I give a lot of credit to fans to shrug off these decisions and do it, but it’s still almost $2k if all goes well. So $1200 msg is cheaper, but only one show…

Hmmm….anyone want to carpool to Ottawa from NYC region Labor Day weekend? ;)
    Part of the reason PJ shows have sold so well is that they do not tour often.  Scarcity builds demand.  Well, they played 3 shows in SoCal in October. Now with so many shows in california where there are a lot of options for people to spend their time, it is not surprising there are slower sales.  

Northeast would not have this problem though.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895

No reason to go to Baltimore either.
    😂
  • I wish we had these problems on the east coast! Seriously, if there was any possibility, I would jump on a plane and fly across the country just for this show. But, responsibilities don't allow that to happen. I hope everyone going has a great time!

Yeah, for all my bitching I’d love to spend 3-4 days in LA and catch those two shows, but it’s not easy decision. Any flight after 8am from NY is going to be north of $600 plus the risk of having flight canceled. Leave a day early just to protect against a canceled flight? LA is perfect for NYers because a mid morning flight arrives around noon so plenty of time to fly out same day, but trusting the airlines with the cost of 2 or 4 tickets plus 3-4 nites at a hotel. I give a lot of credit to fans to shrug off these decisions and do it, but it’s still almost $2k if all goes well. So $1200 msg is cheaper, but only one show…

Hmmm….anyone want to carpool to Ottawa from NYC region Labor Day weekend? ;)
    Right there with you. I'm flying out at the asscrack of dawn for the LA shows and (separately) for the Fresno show. I've tried to leave myself as much leeway as possible (my flight on 5/6 arrives in LA before 9:00 a.m.), but I'm obviously going to be very grumpy if an air-travel clusterfuck makes me miss a show. So, I'm not exactly shrugging off the risk.....just accepting that it is now part of the cost for me to see PJ. Not ideal, but hey, I'll have the Save Mart Center basically to myself if my flight arrives on time. 
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 460
    edited April 2022
    vedpunk said:
    I really hope the poor ticket sales in Fresno and Sacramento causes the band to rethink their stance on playing shows in Texas.  They could be reaching a lot more fans and generating a ton more $ for themselves and their entire crew.  Wasted opportunity once again.  There must have been a very good financial and maybe logistical reason for playing those cities in addition to the other Cali cities.  
    It’s very frustrating.  I live in houston.  No shows since 2003 (woodlands).  Toyota center would be a perfect spot.  Great arena downtown and 2 major airports within 20 miles of arena.  And, it’s the 4th largest city in US.  
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 830
    I did an RV trip to the area last May....

- Be aware that Yosemite on the weekend can be insanely busy. I heard they might be requiring reservations just to get into the park. 

- I was at King's Canyon/Sequoia and it went from worrying about sunburn to worrying about frost bite in about 12 hours. Still an impressive place if you are doing a day trip.
  • dr122931 said:
    vedpunk said:
    I really hope the poor ticket sales in Fresno and Sacramento causes the band to rethink their stance on playing shows in Texas.  They could be reaching a lot more fans and generating a ton more $ for themselves and their entire crew.  Wasted opportunity once again.  There must have been a very good financial and maybe logistical reason for playing those cities in addition to the other Cali cities.  
    It’s very frustrating.  I live in houston.  No shows since 2003 (woodlands).  Toyota center would be a perfect spot.  Great arena downtown and 2 major airports within 20 miles of arena.  And, it’s the 4th largest city in US.  
    Use one of those two airports to fly to Fresno or Sacramento! ;)
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    Another thought for a day. Used to have a family cabin in Shaver Lake, about 50 minutes away from Fresno. It’s usually beautiful and could spend a few days there. 
    Although fires from a few years ago and recent droughts may have taken a toll. But still less than an hour drive.
  • kaw753 said:
    I did an RV trip to the area last May....

- Be aware that Yosemite on the weekend can be insanely busy. I heard they might be requiring reservations just to get into the park. 

- I was at King's Canyon/Sequoia and it went from worrying about sunburn to worrying about frost bite in about 12 hours. Still an impressive place if you are doing a day trip.
    Reservations are required beginning May 20th. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762

Good point about 7 Weeks notice.

Also, the routing of the Tour doesn't help, for myself anyway(with the tickets I had from 2020).  If Tour started in NorCal and worked it's way down Cal into Glendale , with it ending in Vegas would've been a big help. (or vice-versa). I may have added BOTH Fresno and Sac, but with the way the Tour is routed now(through no one's fault) I'll be driving twice as many miles and twice the amount of time on the road as compared to 2020 with the tickets I got in 2020.  

With that said I'm tempted(with GREAT seats still to be had) to go to Fresno, but it's now down to do I want to spend money on 3 additional nights for Hotel stay and cost of another ticket? 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020

Man, I wish had these problems. If a show is within a 3-3.5 hr drive from me, I'm 100% going. When OKC showed up on the list for 2020, I was ecstatic: 3:25 from my house? Woohoo!! Even St. Louis (5+ hours) is a no-brainer for me. 
    Yeah, 3.5 hour drive is a no brainer. That's a drive to CT for me. 6 hours to NYC is also a no brainer. I've done Philly a couple times but that's pushing it a bit. 
  • I have a friend that moved to Fresno. She is 15 min from the arena. Fresno natives are not your typical PJ demographic. And to get to Fresno from SF is a pain in the ass, it was like a 3-3.5 hr drive. The same as driving NYC to Baltimore. But to go to Fresno. There is really no reason to go to Fresno as a tourist. It’s a farming town.

Yeah, 3.5 hour drive is a no brainer. That's a drive to CT for me. 6 hours to NYC is also a no brainer. I've done Philly a couple times but that's pushing it a bit. 
    That's Denver for me: I'll do the drive, but it's a bear. I'll still probably end up going in September, though, for the last show of the tour. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    6 of my 25 shows have been 3 hours or less from my house. 3 of my 11 EV shows. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTX said:
    6 of my 25 shows have been 3 hours or less from my house. 3 of my 11 EV shows. 
    Jealous. PJ hasn't played within 3 hours of my current town since 2010.....2 years before I moved here. 
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 460
    dr122931 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Use one of those two airports to fly to Fresno or Sacramento! ;)
    I’m using one of them to go to the Oakland shows!   
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    Some people seem to think that Pearl Jam is playing Fresno and Sacramento instead of some other city or cities in the northeast or south.  I don't think there was any likelihood that Pearl Jam was going to shift from Oakland to the other side of the country, given the logistics involved and given that eastern dates were scheduled later in the year.  Instead, they added dates to extend the western leg.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    ^^ This, for sure.
    BF25394 said:
    Some people seem to think that Pearl Jam is playing Fresno and Sacramento instead of some other city or cities in the northeast or south.  I don't think there was any likelihood that Pearl Jam was going to shift from Oakland to the other side of the country, given the logistics involved and given that eastern dates were scheduled later in the year.  Instead, they added dates to extend the western leg.
    Not at all.  Salt Lake City, two Vegas, Portland, Seattle, etc….plenty of places to play.

They probably expected to sell well and got a little over confident.  Still time though.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    BF25394 said:
    Not at all.  Salt Lake City, two Vegas, Portland, Seattle, etc….plenty of places to play.

They probably expected to sell well and got a little over confident.  Still time though.
    Once again I’d point out that the band doesn’t take the ticket sales risk.  That’s on the promoter who pays the band an amount regardless of ticket sales.  I don’t know enough to know if the amount gets bumped up or down based on sales but at least in some cases it’s a flat appearance fee and Ed and the boys get their cash regardless.  Perhaps someone in Fres/Sac made an offer they couldn’t refuse but I don’t think PJ will be any worse off than if they played Portland/Seattle let’s say.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023