What’s up with Fresno?

Comments

• As one of the 12 people there, I hope I can get my requests played.  
    If there's only 12 of us, we should just reach a consensus setlist. Everyone gets one veto. 
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Posts: 312
    JimmyV said:
    Jason7192 said:
    amlee said:
    It's going to be crazy and I think maybe the most unique show of the tour. Fresno, for those who haven't been on the West Coast is VERY isolated in the state...geographically and I'd say culturally. I lived up and down CA for over a decade and never even came close to going there. Also consider that the Save-Mart Center is 16k capacity but they have blocked out all the seats to the side of and behind the stage...so maybe they're actually selling, what...12-13k? Now look at how many tickets have been sold...

If someone is willing to manually count them (LOL), I think maybe it's a few thousand people in that building as of now...should be wild! :)

I got bored & counted. Lol. As of this morning, there are just shy of 6600 seats sold plus whatever is in GA. 
    And of those tickets sold, how many are held by people who upgraded their seats and are now trying to dump their originals?
    A little over 100 of those are F2F tickets, so it's not a significant population, but they're included in the 6600 total since the seat was initially sold. I did not include anything behind the stage because I counted just the sold seats & those were never up for sale.
  • Jason7192 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Jason7192 said:
    amlee said:
    It's going to be crazy and I think maybe the most unique show of the tour. Fresno, for those who haven't been on the West Coast is VERY isolated in the state...geographically and I'd say culturally. I lived up and down CA for over a decade and never even came close to going there. Also consider that the Save-Mart Center is 16k capacity but they have blocked out all the seats to the side of and behind the stage...so maybe they're actually selling, what...12-13k? Now look at how many tickets have been sold...

If someone is willing to manually count them (LOL), I think maybe it's a few thousand people in that building as of now...should be wild! :)

I got bored & counted. Lol. As of this morning, there are just shy of 6600 seats sold plus whatever is in GA. 
    And of those tickets sold, how many are held by people who upgraded their seats and are now trying to dump their originals?
    A little over 100 of those are F2F tickets, so it's not a significant population, but they're included in the 6600 total since the seat was initially sold. I did not include anything behind the stage because I counted just the sold seats & those were never up for sale.
    Your methods are impressive! 
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Posts: 312
    Lol. Thanks!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Jason7192 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Jason7192 said:
    amlee said:

You did an impressive job!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    It isn't that playing Fresno is bad, or that having an undersold show is bad, or that California is bad. It's that they haven't played arenas in the U.S. since 2016 and the fanbase is starving to see them...and they scheduled one of their few new shows in a city that can't even fill GA. We've never seen GA tickets available like this. It's remarkable, and people are remarking. It's not an attack on the Fresno which we all do know is the American Paris. 

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    Haijay said:
    It’s a small market, it’s a Monday night, and the planet is only barely emerging from two years of life changing circumstances, those are three big pretty reasons right there. Nevermind the location, lol. Still, they’ll prob draw 8 to 9 thousand. Not bad not bad
    As far as the other cali shows go, and arizona, they were all sold out in 2020, the whole tour was, AGAIN. Theres 30 million people in cali, it’s not about the de
    With the exception of Oak 1, the shows are basically sold out
    mand, it’s the world we still live in right now.  save for a couple hundred?seats  left, and behind the stage
    Sacramento is only performing marginally better than Fresno.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Poncier said:
    Haijay said:
    It’s a small market, it’s a Monday night, and the planet is only barely emerging from two years of life changing circumstances, those are three big pretty reasons right there. Nevermind the location, lol. Still, they’ll prob draw 8 to 9 thousand. Not bad not bad
    As far as the other cali shows go, and arizona, they were all sold out in 2020, the whole tour was, AGAIN. Theres 30 million people in cali, it’s not about the de
    mand, it’s the world we still live in right now.  save for a couple hundred?seats  left, and behind the stage
    Which proves they were weird additions, not that Fresno sucks. I guess bay area people chose other shows too if they don’t want to make that small journey to Sac
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,734
    Maybe they should consider blocking off more than half the arena (see the Bill Burr show arrangement there on Ticketmaster for May 13th). 
  • As one of the 12 people there, I hope I can get my requests played.  
    Just wait for a quiet moment and yell your request with all the vigor you can muster......   :)
    Maybe they should consider blocking off more than half the arena (see the Bill Burr show arrangement there on Ticketmaster for May 13th). 
    That actually could be awesome. Then the arena really would feel intimate and I could see a special show happening. 

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    Poncier said:
    Haijay said:
    Yes, i meant to mention that. It is a bit of a surprise, for sure……….
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    I think that there is a recurrent theme that California got too many shows. If you laid California over the East Coast it would take up NY, MA, CT, DE, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC and portion of GA that would include Atlanta....There are 40 million people in CA.  Playing Oakland and Sacramento is akin to playing NYC and Camden, NJ.  LA and San Diego would be like playing Atlanta and Charlotte.  Nobody would question those planning decisions.  From a geographic standpoint, the planning makes sense-especially taking into account the long wait for any NoCal shows (9 years since they played the Bay Area). Sacramento (20th largest media market in US) hasn't hosted PJ since 1998 (in town) and 2000 (an hour away).  

Add Vegas and AZ and this geographically becomes as much of an West Coast tour as any East Coast tour that covers that much space...

The Fresno (55th largest media market) addition to the tour is curious...I am interested in seeing if there proves to be anything "unique" about the stop....

For what it is worth, here is a media market list:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market

I have always found that this media market list is illuminating when I wonder why artists go to certain cities.  As a West Coast guy I have been stunned to see Sacramento ahead of Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc.  

By the way, I am sympathetic to those folks who have gone far too long without a "hometurf" show by PJ.  I feel lucky to have the opportunity to see them in my hometown this time around...

Even though I’m very grumpy, it’s important to me to be happy for all the fans that get shows. And to JVs point, this is basically the 2020 tour. But “someone” in management must have known that even in 2020 the msg prices on stub hub were near a grand? Money is a great indication of imbalance with the gig a ton tour. As much as Ed likes to joke they were going to gig a ton, they should have known that their tour routing created a huge imbalance, and the one fix? Add five dates to an already saturated Cali tour, counting 2021? And maybe another for encore 2022? Is this a band in touch with their fans?

I get that there’s 40 million in CA, but there are far more on the east coast. The DC to Boston corridor has over sixty million in a smaller area.

Bottom line, it’s brutal for us in the east, and I’m sure Texas and the south as well (and oz is way overdue for some shows!) , where logistically or financially traveling a week and dropping a grand for shows is not realistic. Those TM blue dots for every May date, I don’t think I ever saw one of those on a show for a concert near me, ever. Not once. But hey, enjoy it while it’s there Cali.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    Sadly no Cracker Barrel in Fresno but at least there’s a location in Sacramento.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited April 2022
    JimmyV said:
    It isn't that playing Fresno is bad, or that having an undersold show is bad, or that California is bad. It's that they haven't played arenas in the U.S. since 2016 and the fanbase is starving to see them...and they scheduled one of their few new shows in a city that can't even fill GA. We've never seen GA tickets available like this. It's remarkable, and people are remarking. It's not an attack on the Fresno which we all do know is the American Paris. 
    Agree with this. Not an attack at all but still curious how they came to the decision to add this show. Easy to Monday morning quarterback this of course seeing how the sales are. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    edited April 2022
    Last night at Jack White at Barclay's Center they blocked off the whole upper bowl with black curtains so you couldn't see all the empty seats up there. It made the arena feel more full than it actually was.
  • PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agree with this. Not an attack at all but still curious how they came to the decision to add this show. Easy to Monday morning quarterback this of course seeing how the sales are. 
    You all are quite right. I apologize if I sounded inexplicably defensive: my tongue-in-cheek endorsements of Fresno--a city I will see for the first time in 3.5 weeks--aside, I have no particular investment in this show. And, as you say JimmyV, it's remarkable that GA are dropping and so few tickets have sold. 

I find it intriguing because Fresno and Sacramento suggest there is an answer to "Where WON'T you travel to see PJ?" I've known for a long time that if I want to see PJ, I have to travel. Any show within 500 miles of my house seems like a real luxury! (two this year!!) I think that's true for some others and I'm guessing there are many more who will travel to see PJ even if they don't have to. 

MSG would sell out if you prohibited everyone who lives within 50 miles of the arena from attending. Maybe 100 miles? Nashville and Vegas also look like desirable shows for travel--I'm curious how many people attending those shows are local. Me? I'll go to any show, because going only for the concert. Others? Clearly not. 

Some of us have come close to believing PJ could basically sell out any show, anywhere. Sacramento and Fresno look like they'll blow that notion out of the water. I tend to think that's because people aren't traveling there; not just because the local market isn't strong enough. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited April 2022
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:
    You all are quite right. I apologize if I sounded inexplicably defensive: my tongue-in-cheek endorsements of Fresno--a city I will see for the first time in 3.5 weeks--aside, I have no particular investment in this show. And, as you say JimmyV, it's remarkable that GA are dropping and so few tickets have sold. 

I find it intriguing because Fresno and Sacramento suggest there is an answer to "Where WON'T you travel to see PJ?" I've known for a long time that if I want to see PJ, I have to travel. Any show within 500 miles of my house seems like a real luxury! (two this year!!) I think that's true for some others and I'm guessing there are many more who will travel to see PJ even if they don't have to. 

MSG would sell out if you prohibited everyone who lives within 50 miles of the arena from attending. Maybe 100 miles? Nashville and Vegas also look like desirable shows for travel--I'm curious how many people attending those shows are local. Me? I'll go to any show, because going only for the concert. Others? Clearly not. 

Some of us have come close to believing PJ could basically sell out any show, anywhere. Sacramento and Fresno look like they'll blow that notion out of the water. I tend to think that's because people aren't traveling there; not just because the local market isn't strong enough. 
    Good points. If they bypassed Oakland and did Fresno and Sacramento only I think both of those shows sell out or close to it. Covid and Premium tickets definitely playing a role in all of this too but I think the main thing is they underestimated how much the market was saturated already with 5 arena shows. 
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    JimmyV said:

Good points. If they bypassed Oakland and did Fresno and Sacramento only I think both of those shows sell out or close to it. Covid and Premium tickets definitely playing a role in all of this too but I think the main thing is they underestimated how much the market was saturated already with 5 arena shows. 
    Yeah. Four sellouts in NoCal doesn't look reasonable (in hindsight, as you note). And it's probably too much to expect very many traveling fans to do all four of those shows. I wanted to, but family and expense make that infeasible for me and for many others on these boards. But heck, I bet many of us WISH we could do four shows in one week, regardless of where they are. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    JimmyV said:
    It isn't that playing Fresno is bad, or that having an undersold show is bad, or that California is bad. It's that they haven't played arenas in the U.S. since 2016 and the fanbase is starving to see them...and they scheduled one of their few new shows in a city that can't even fill GA. We've never seen GA tickets available like this. It's remarkable, and people are remarking. It's not an attack on the Fresno which we all do know is the American Paris
    That would be Bakersfield.
  • Man, I’ve been dying to pounce on those GA’s that have been available for days for face.
    It just blows my mind that I look on TM and would have to pay 3K to buy a ticket for NY but could get rail for 150$ in Fresno. 

• Man, I’ve been dying to pounce on those GA’s that have been available for days for face.
    It just blows my mind that I look on TM and would have to pay 3K to buy a ticket for NY but could get rail for 150$ in Fresno. 

And with that extra $2850, you could fly to Fresno and rent a suite at the nicest hotel in town!
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 894
    I really hope the poor ticket sales in Fresno and Sacramento causes the band to rethink their stance on playing shows in Texas.  They could be reaching a lot more fans and generating a ton more $ for themselves and their entire crew.  Wasted opportunity once again.  There must have been a very good financial and maybe logistical reason for playing those cities in addition to the other Cali cities.  
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    This is hilarious. With no evidence, random fans pick the lowest selling show as THE show to attend, yet no one goes. Wtf. 
  • jeremyjmcbjeremyjmcb Posts: 130
    This is hilarious. With no evidence, random fans pick the lowest selling show as THE show to attend, yet no one goes. Wtf. 
    I think it's just curiosity to see what the band does.  Maybe nothing, they may not address the lack of initial sales at all and play a standard show.  They may address it and play an out of this world setlist as a special 'thank you' to those who made the trek.  It will probably be the former, but I have to admit the curiosity is what prompted me to buy a ticket and plan to make the trip out.  Also, if undersold, it may not be a huge crowded cluster.  I think no matter what, this is going to be a unique show.  If I'm wrong, then I guess I'm out a little over $100, some airline miles, hotel points, and one Monday night of my life. 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    OKC is pretty much Texas 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 894
    edited April 2022
    SHZA said:
    OKC is pretty much Texas 
    Hell no but a quick 3 hr drive south and they play a sold out 20k capacity American Airlines Arena in Dallas.  Or play Fresno.  Hmmmmmm.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited April 2022
    It’s definitely tough for fans from Texas to the Southeast.   Like someone said they’ll pass up sold out arenas to take the popular festival slots down there.  It’s been 15-19 years since some proper shows.  Festivals are probably more enjoyable for the band but not always the fans.  
  • Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 136
    #WUWF
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    I can't believe there are that many tickets left. I actually like going to concerts in the smaller cities or the sheds outside of larger cities. I actually dislike seeing them in Boston (closest city they play to where I live). I prefer Hartford over Boston believe it or not. 

I've never been to Fresno, but I can't imagine the city itself is the reason people aren't attending.