“PJ Premium” on Ticketmaster?

Comments

• aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:
    People who complain about premium have never tried to run a business. There are sooooo many costs that go into running a business that people don’t see. It’s not as simple as multiplying 20k seats by $100 and dividing by 6 band members… counting Boom of course! Benefits for employees, liability insurance, salaries, rent, taxes, travel, crew,  etc. Plus they need to Maher a profit. It’s not a non profit organization. $100 for 95% of the crowd for a band of PJ’s caliber is dirt cheap in my mind. And they aren’t the chili peppers who play 18 songs. Either need to accept premium or accept $150 tickets. Add in the fact that they have families to support I feel what they are doing is more than reasonable 
    Yet they have managed to run their business without doing PJ Premium for 30 years until now. Just moderately increasing ticket prices at a fair and reasonable rate as time has gone on. Are you saying that the business model they used for 3 decades was faulty?
    This is the point a lot of ppl keep overlooking. Platinum pricing is something that didn't even really exist until maybe 10 years ago. Prior to that, every band/artist in history successfully toured without it and just charged a fixed price for tickets. Many artists (including some even bigger than PJ) still do. I get that costs associated with touring have increased. But the increase in ticket prices over the years have reflected that.
    So those of you who are making excuses for and defending PJ for caving in can go try to sell that BS elsewhere. Because I'm not buying it.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    JimmyV said:
    There was literally a giveaway of 100 FREE tickets to Ed's rescheduled show and that was in LA. Many of these shows are going to see the Platinum tickets whither on the vine and prices will collapse. 
    Yes!! Everyone stop trying to buy tickets right now for christ’s sake and just wait. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Speaking about venue holds, my buddy is a season ticket holder for the knicks. These tickets cost over $20k a year and hes had them for over 25 years. He just got 4 tickets for face from his “guy.”

1. He’s a huge fan, (thanks to my infection), but even if he wasnt, he deserves those tickets bc of his investment. Its the same investment we all make joining tenclub for a very small fee. In this case the tickets are going to pj fans who were shut out of everything, but again that doesnt matter. 

2. There are just way less tickets available than people realize.  Pj is playing 2 shows in the NE, and demand is crazy high.  Its even higher bc people have been waiting for years. You have to assume for a show in high demand that a portion of the tickets are going to people with money and connections. This isn’t something the band can control. Its just the way the world works. No ones pissed at jack nicholson bc he got to sit courtside forever at laker games. I cant afford Knicks season tickets. Should I be upset that my friend can? Thats a childish attitude. 

3. Pearl jam is CLEARLY at the top in terms of securing the largest amount and best tickets for its fanclub as previously stated. They dont have to do this. Life would be much easier for them if they didnt do it. 

Out of curiosity, where are your friends seats?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,782
    Clapper said:
    JP218404 said:
    Yes. Yes it has as someone who works in it
    Please, I beg of you. Give these folks an inside look and update their reality.  I have the good fortune to have enough contacts in professional sports and entertainment that I can confidently say that I could get a pair of venue hold tickets for just about any act that is playing in an NHL/NBA arena or MLB stadium with a couple of calls and my credit card. Pearl Jam being the the greatest exception.  They protect their tickets in a way that nobody else I have seen does.  99% of the time, venue holds are in the two seated sections closest to the stage on either side...with Pearl Jam, its rare for the venue holds to be that close.  Most of the time, venue holds for Pearl Jam the are in the back corner sections of the lower bowl.  I've even tried to call in a favour with a higher up at Live Nation who owed me a legitimate solid only to be told "ask me for anyone but Pearl Jam and I can help you out".    The money they leave on the table for this fan club fuckery is bananas.  The only reason I'm still a member is because it is still the best shot at getting tickets to see this band.  The fact that they are still almost always less than $150  for 2.5 hour plus sets is also bonkers. 

Yup.  And agree, particularly in NYC, there are always great tickets available for celebs, business partners and other VIPs. I have been fortunate enough to take advantage of that on several occasions. Quick call and tickets are secured. It is always a bit tougher with PJ. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:
    People who complain about premium have never tried to run a business. There are sooooo many costs that go into running a business that people don’t see. It’s not as simple as multiplying 20k seats by $100 and dividing by 6 band members… counting Boom of course! Benefits for employees, liability insurance, salaries, rent, taxes, travel, crew,  etc. Plus they need to Maher a profit. It’s not a non profit organization. $100 for 95% of the crowd for a band of PJ’s caliber is dirt cheap in my mind. And they aren’t the chili peppers who play 18 songs. Either need to accept premium or accept $150 tickets. Add in the fact that they have families to support I feel what they are doing is more than reasonable 
    Yet they have managed to run their business without doing PJ Premium for 30 years until now. Just moderately increasing ticket prices at a fair and reasonable rate as time has gone on. Are you saying that the business model they used for 3 decades was faulty?
    This is the point a lot of ppl keep overlooking. Platinum pricing is something that didn't even really exist until maybe 10 years ago. Prior to that, every band/artist in history successfully toured without it and just charged a fixed price for tickets. Many artists (including some even bigger than PJ) still do. I get that costs associated with touring have increased. But the increase in ticket prices over the years have reflected that.
    So those of you who are making excuses for and defending PJ for caving in can go try to sell that BS elsewhere. Because I'm not buying it.

Costs associated with touring have skyrocketed over the past two years. How much did they increase the base ticket price for new ticket sales on this tour?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,427
    edited March 2022
    mpedone said:
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:

Costs associated with touring have skyrocketed over the past two years. How much did they increase the base ticket price for new ticket sales on this tour?
    I think it was around a 20% increase. 
    Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Thanks for the insight, I had no clue pj were that protective of their tickets.  Is that one of the reasons they don’t play as much?

also, two of my sons are dying to go to a nba game; can you call your contact and get me three tickets to the 76ers game on 4/10?  ;)

I think they just play less because they are 30 years older and have families.  I am sure the travel and accommodations are more luxurious than 30 years ago, but I suspect even the more comfortable grind of the road takes a greater toll when you're middle aged as well.  I can't speak for anyone else but I've found I enjoy working less in my 40's than I did in my 20's and prefer to be paid more for it. 

I've always loved traveling, but as I've gotten into my 40s, I've noticed a pattern - after a few days, I want to be back in my own bed. After about a week of eating out (even at good restaurants) I just want to make my own food. They are looking at spending all of May, half of June, all of July, and all of September on the road. Brutal.

Honestly, they should find a year-long residency. Rent some condos, play every few days.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,657
    Clapper said:
    PJNB said:

This is why I love the way this band does 10C lottos. So people like you can't waive their credit card around and get into shows with a phone call. People like me have a shot with this band and at a great price. What you call fuckery I call fairness. 
    The fuckery I'm referring to is the complaints.  The lotto, the amount of tickets held for the club and the prices they've kept it to are legit the FAIREST scenario in the business. That's the point I was trying to make.  With the exception of the charitable auctions, no amount of connected or resources gets you additional opportunity with this band. 
    Until now, which has been my point. Now all of a sudden, they are doing "PJ Premium" for well above face and in some cases exorbitant prices in some markets. And those seats are the ones you specifically said in your previous post could not be had in the past because they were for the fan club. Again, look at the ticket maps for Fresno and Sacramento which have a lot of these PremiumPJplatinum tix available. They are the seats that used to go to 10 club members, front rows of lower bowl and seats right behind the pit.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    They said on the original tour announcement that a small amount of tickets will be sold for market value to help with tour costs, which must be excessively high now based on 2 years of zero tour revenue and current supply chain/ inflation issues.

PJ took complete ownership. Cant ask for anything more.  Plus thousands of GA and close seats sold to TC at a FRACTION of market value.

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    Fan club membership or even fandom doesn’t equate to shareholder status. Sure…we believe they’re our band but we have no direct say in financial discussions and business arrangements. They take care of their own first and foremost as it should be. The band could be over tomorrow but lives go on and they certainly should be planning like it’s all over tomorrow and ensuring they’re comfortable for the next 25 years - entirely their prerogative. 

From an individual perspective it’s not pleasant to miss out on the opportunity for 10C tickets directly from the fan club…but if you’ve interacted with fellow fans long enough either here or elsewhere you discover this is a vibrant community. We look out for one another. The band recognizes and acknowledges this very community and while they rationally realize they can’t get every single fan into every singe show they look out and a sea of people in each seat or spot is singing back…the house is full because an available ticket is shared or sold and enjoyed. 

Is it wrong a premium ticket is $3,500? It’s worth $3,500 to someone if they’re willing to pay for it. If you don’t want to or can’t pay that much don’t be discouraged. There are always production hold
    tickets released. People change their plans. If your $800 premium ticket drops in value due to decreased demand you simply accept the fact FOMO whether for a ticket or a house drives prices up. Perfectly normal and nothing to get upset over.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Instead of paying $2,500 for two tickets, fly to California and pay $300 for tickets + flights.  Flight costs are pretty crazy these days though too.
    What show has $8000 nosebleed tickets?

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,427
    Instead of paying $2,500 for two tickets, fly to California and pay $300 for tickets + flights.  Flight costs are pretty crazy these days though too.
    There are so many Fresno seats remaining and it is even a smaller arena. There are some great premium seats sitting there $50 above face and no one is biting. I don't even think half of the venue is sold out and the back is not even opened up yet.  

Really curious how that conversation went choosing that city over tons of others that would have sold out easily. They added a city in a market that could not handle the sales and likely actually stole seats from cities like Oakland that were previously sold out. Did they just misread the market? I am sure it will sell a lot more as we get closer to the show and people from the area are ecstatic but still a very interesting choice.

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Speaking about venue holds, my buddy is a season ticket holder for the knicks. These tickets cost over $20k a year and hes had them for over 25 years. He just got 4 tickets for face from his “guy.”

1. He’s a huge fan, (thanks to my infection), but even if he wasnt, he deserves those tickets bc of his investment. Its the same investment we all make joining tenclub for a very small fee. In this case the tickets are going to pj fans who were shut out of everything, but again that doesnt matter. 

2. There are just way less tickets available than people realize.  Pj is playing 2 shows in the NE, and demand is crazy high.  Its even higher bc people have been waiting for years. You have to assume for a show in high demand that a portion of the tickets are going to people with money and connections. This isn’t something the band can control. Its just the way the world works. No ones pissed at jack nicholson bc he got to sit courtside forever at laker games. I cant afford Knicks season tickets. Should I be upset that my friend can? Thats a childish attitude. 

3. Pearl jam is CLEARLY at the top in terms of securing the largest amount and best tickets for its fanclub as previously stated. They dont have to do this. Life would be much easier for them if they didnt do it.
    He deserves the Knicks tickets that he paid for. Although, maybe he does deserve more for having to watch the Knicks. If he has that kind of money, he can afford platinum/premium tickets. ;)
  • mpedone said:

It's a joke, bud. But probably in the not too distant future, this will be the reality for PJ tickets. 

mpedone said:

It's a joke, bud. But probably in the not too distant future, this will be the reality for PJ tickets. 

We'll see. I would argue this tour is a unique case with the rescheduled shows and new shows mixed in. Basically, I'm withholding judgement until we see what happens with a full tour that's not cobbled together from the scraps of a previous tour attempt and after a 2-year industry-wide layover.

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:

We'll see. I would argue this tour is a unique case with the rescheduled shows and new shows mixed in. Basically, I'm withholding judgement until we see what happens with a full tour that's not cobbled together from the scraps of a previous tour attempt and after a 2-year industry-wide layover.
    100%. There is sticker shock and I have concerns, but it's too soon to know how this will play out in the future. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rmwatsonrmwatson Posts: 159
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:
    Do you believe that Ticketmaster sits there at the negotiation and says "Sure Pearl Jam management, have all these fan club seat allocations, and also, have non-transferable tickets so that bots cant gobble them up, oh, and also, let us run a verified fan for you to limit the market even more to your direct fan base and hopefully not scalpers, AND we are going to do all of this for nothing in return, we will even sell the regular tickets at a cheap cost for all"  It is not how that business, or the world, works.  Business contracts and about give and take - the business of Pearl Jam takes A LOT for the 10Club, and for the verified fan - the give is ultimately the Premium seats and that system.  I mean, they explicitly state as much in their tour announcement.  I really don't get what people don't understand about it.  And if they werent dealing with Ticketmaster and LiveNation, we wouldn' be seeing them live at all - so please don't argue that.    
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    The "give and take" excuse falls a bit flat, when you consider all these layers were in place for the tour in 2020, with the exception of PJ Premium. 

Did TM hold PJ hostage, and say, "I know we did things one way for this tour in 2020, but we're only going to allow these rescheduled shows to happen if the band adds PJ Premium?"  I doubt it. 
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Your periodic reminder that calling it PJ Premium was dumb. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    ddeschler said:
    The "give and take" excuse falls a bit flat, when you consider all these layers were in place for the tour in 2020, with the exception of PJ Premium. 

Did TM hold PJ hostage, and say, "I know we did things one way for this tour in 2020, but we're only going to allow these rescheduled shows to happen if the band adds PJ Premium?"  I doubt it. 
    What's changed since then? Anything major happen to the world that may have had a massive impact on this tour?

Nah, must just be greed!

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    That's fine.  The world has changed.  But let's just make sure we acknowledge this was the band's choice.  They weren't forced into this by Ticketmaster.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    cmalisze said:
    “the band is once again using Ticketmaster mobile-only ticketing systems to strip their fans of ticket transfer or resale rights for their upcoming tour dates, save in New York and Colorado – states which require consumer choice in ticket format by law. With the transfer and resale restrictions in place, there should be no “scalping” but that’s where Ticketmaster “platinum” tickets come in.

For Pearl Jam, the “platinum” tickets are marked as “PJ Premium,” but it is just a slight variation in name on the same thing: taking tickets that would have been one price, and multiplying that number by a factor of 2-3 all while claiming to protect fans from “scalpers.”

Bingo - transfer restrictions + platinum tickets do no work together. If TM is going to charge a grand for tickets just give me my transfer rights back. You aren’t helping.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    cmalisze said:

"In its recent earnings report Live Nation cited the increased use of platinum pricing as a key driver of its record-breaking revenue."

Interesting.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,158
    bbiggs said:
    cmalisze said:

"In its recent earnings report Live Nation cited the increased use of platinum pricing as a key driver of its record-breaking revenue."

Interesting.
    Isn't that obvious? The entire point is pulling money out of the secondary market into the primary.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    cmalisze said:
    “the band is once again using Ticketmaster mobile-only ticketing systems to strip their fans of ticket transfer or resale rights for their upcoming tour dates, save in New York and Colorado – states which require consumer choice in ticket format by law. With the transfer and resale restrictions in place, there should be no “scalping” but that’s where Ticketmaster “platinum” tickets come in.

For Pearl Jam, the “platinum” tickets are marked as “PJ Premium,” but it is just a slight variation in name on the same thing: taking tickets that would have been one price, and multiplying that number by a factor of 2-3 all while claiming to protect fans from “scalpers.”

Bingo - transfer restrictions + platinum tickets do no work together. If TM is going to charge a grand for tickets just give me my transfer rights back. You aren’t helping.
    Yup to all you said OceansJenny.  And thanks @cmalisze that was KEY reading! 

I know I'm late to this discussion but wow.  Really deflated right now by all this.  And also shut out for 3rd PJ tour from 10 Club tix and Verfied fan tix.

Such a bummer, because the loss of Taylor Hawkins once again pounds in that you can't assume you'll have another chance, but even recognizing how much the 10 Club DOES do to look out for fans, these prices pound in the fact that some of us just canNOT afford any of these tix. The LEVEL of how high these Premium tix get to is shocking.  And disappointing.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,158
    Yeah, issuing fully transferable Ten Club tickets couldn't possibly lead to any undesirable unintended consequences 
    JH6056 said:
    cmalisze said:

Yup to all you said OceansJenny.  And thanks @cmalisze that was KEY reading! 

I know I'm late to this discussion but wow.  Really deflated right now by all this.  And also shut out for 3rd PJ tour from 10 Club tix and Verfied fan tix.

Such a bummer, because the loss of Taylor Hawkins once again pounds in that you can't assume you'll have another chance, but even recognizing how much the 10 Club DOES do to look out for fans, these prices pound in the fact that some of us just canNOT afford any of these tix. The LEVEL of how high these Premium tix get to is shocking.  And disappointing.
    Hey man - keep at it. Prices will drop as we get closer to the date. We got time!