“PJ Premium” on Ticketmaster?

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,782
    edited March 2022
    Premium pricing is not about the band wanting to make more money IMHO.

It is about a choice they do not really have and the enormous sums of money that Stub Hub, Seat Geek, Vivid make on the secondary market off artists performance.  Ticketmaster approaches the artists and proposes to put some of that in the artists pocket instead of the resellers. The tickets are going to get sold at higher prices anyway and the band has not been able to stop the proliferation of reselling in the digital age. We know the band has been anti-scalper for a very long time and maybe they feel like this hurts them a little.  Small victory in a tough situation.

We are talking big dollars that go to the resale sites. Why should they make money off an artist's performance? It is an attractive proposition for the band and TM likely has leverage over the allocation of 10C tix in exchange for the platinum or premium or VIP or whatever. At least they are not selling those ridiculous packages where all you get is a bunch of junk for a $1,000 ticket. Its evolution baby.  
  • edited March 2022
    Ya man proceed with caution buying premium tickets. I bought 4 right when they went on sale, checked again today same row has seats for 100 less per ticket then i paid. So it seems people who buy right away get screwed which seems counter intuitive. Shouldnt  the price go up as supply goes down assuming demand remains consistent? Its a catch 22 you wait and risk losing out completely or getting stuck with nose bleeds or you buy right away and pay a markup for it. I miss the days when buying tickets was easy especially this band. They go from $25 a pop back in the 1990s to as much as 1k (or higher now). I want the band to make money so partially i dont really care if i paid a bit more as long as most of it goes to them and not some middleman
    Post edited by Getoutofmyfuckinface on
  • I love how no one talks about all the money that gets donated to charity and the money that goes to offsetting carbon emissions.  

Its clear to me that many of the people complaining have no idea how businesses work and how much control a business has over the industry they are apart of. 

Again, show me a band of similar stature doing it better. 
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,346
    At what point will we get a code?
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    edited March 2022
    I love how no one talks about all the money that gets donated to charity and the money that goes to offsetting carbon emissions.  

Its clear to me that many of the people complaining have no idea how businesses work and how much control a business has over the industry they are apart of. 

They won't.  Most of the people that complain about ticket pricing and availability aren't worried about the big picture. They are worried about how the evolution of the band and the business effects them and their needs personally.  If it only impacted other people, they wouldn't care.  It's the same stuff over and over:  I've been a fan for xx years - I should have the best tickets for every show I want in perpetuity, tickets cost x in 1995 - I cant believe they don't cost the same almost 30 years later,  the band cares more about the business side of it in their 50's than they  did in their 20's and want to be paid closer to their actual market value - scamming fans! 

As long as these folks get what THEY want, everything is fine. I'll point this out again, if this band ever decided to do tickets for only their market value and general on sale only,  Tickets would  A) START at $200 a piece  and go up from there and B ) Scooped up so quickly by bots that 90% of our weird little club would never see a face value ticket again. 

Post edited by Clapper on
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,158
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:
    People who complain about premium have never tried to run a business. There are sooooo many costs that go into running a business that people don’t see. It’s not as simple as multiplying 20k seats by $100 and dividing by 6 band members… counting Boom of course! Benefits for employees, liability insurance, salaries, rent, taxes, travel, crew,  etc. Plus they need to Maher a profit. It’s not a non profit organization. $100 for 95% of the crowd for a band of PJ’s caliber is dirt cheap in my mind. And they aren’t the chili peppers who play 18 songs. Either need to accept premium or accept $150 tickets. Add in the fact that they have families to support I feel what they are doing is more than reasonable 
    Yet they have managed to run their business without doing PJ Premium for 30 years until now. Just moderately increasing ticket prices at a fair and reasonable rate as time has gone on. Are you saying that the business model they used for 3 decades was faulty?
    No, but a whole host of things have changed dramatically in their industry over the last few years
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:
    JR86440 said:
    People who complain about premium have never tried to run a business. There are sooooo many costs that go into running a business that people don’t see. It’s not as simple as multiplying 20k seats by $100 and dividing by 6 band members… counting Boom of course! Benefits for employees, liability insurance, salaries, rent, taxes, travel, crew,  etc. Plus they need to Maher a profit. It’s not a non profit organization. $100 for 95% of the crowd for a band of PJ’s caliber is dirt cheap in my mind. And they aren’t the chili peppers who play 18 songs. Either need to accept premium or accept $150 tickets. Add in the fact that they have families to support I feel what they are doing is more than reasonable 
    Yet they have managed to run their business without doing PJ Premium for 30 years until now. Just moderately increasing ticket prices at a fair and reasonable rate as time has gone on. Are you saying that the business model they used for 3 decades was faulty?
    No, but a whole host of things have changed dramatically in their industry over the last few years
    Yes. Yes it has as someone who works in it
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Clapper said:
    I love how no one talks about all the money that gets donated to charity and the money that goes to offsetting carbon emissions.  

They won't.  Most of the people that complain about ticket pricing and availability aren't worried about the big picture. They are worried about how the evolution of the band and the business effects them and their needs personally.  If it only impacted other people, they wouldn't care.  It's the same stuff over and over:  I've been a fan for xx years - I should have the best tickets for every show I want in perpetuity, tickets cost x in 1995 - I cant believe they don't cost the same almost 30 years later,  the band cares more about the business side of it in their 50's than they  did in their 20's and want to be paid closer to their actual market value - scamming fans! 

As long as these folks get what THEY want, everything is fine. I'll point this out again, if this band ever decided to do tickets for only their market value and general on sale only,  Tickets would  A) START at $200 a piece  and go up from there and B ) Scooped up so quickly by bots that 90% of our weird little club would never see a face value ticket again. 

Well said. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Clapper said:

Excellent points.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    edited March 2022
    Let’s just hope they tell us the passcode soon 
    Post edited by TN49724 on
    edited March 2022
    JP218404 said:
    Please, I beg of you. Give these folks an inside look and update their reality.  I have the good fortune to have enough contacts in professional sports and entertainment that I can confidently say that I could get a pair of venue hold tickets for just about any act that is playing in an NHL/NBA arena or MLB stadium with a couple of calls and my credit card. Pearl Jam being the the greatest exception.  They protect their tickets in a way that nobody else I have seen does.  99% of the time, venue holds are in the two seated sections closest to the stage on either side...with Pearl Jam, its rare for the venue holds to be that close.  Most of the time, venue holds for Pearl Jam the are in the back corner sections of the lower bowl.  I've even tried to call in a favour with a higher up at Live Nation who owed me a legitimate solid only to be told "ask me for anyone but Pearl Jam and I can help you out".    The money they leave on the table for this fan club fuckery is bananas.  The only reason I'm still a member is because it is still the best shot at getting tickets to see this band.  The fact that they are still almost always less than $150  for 2.5 hour plus sets is also bonkers. 
    Post edited by Clapper on
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Good luck everyone. People find a way if motivated. Other PJ fans can help if called on. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    edited March 2022
    Clapper said:
    JP218404 said:
    Please, I beg of you. Give these folks an inside look and update their reality.  I have the good fortune to have enough contacts in professional sports and entertainment that I can confidently say that I could get a pair of venue hold tickets for just about any act that is playing in an NHL/NBA arena or MLB stadium with a couple of calls and my credit card. Pearl Jam being the the greatest exception.  They protect their tickets in a way that nobody else I have seen does.  99% of the time, venue holds are in the two seated sections closest to the stage on either side...with Pearl Jam, its rare for the venue holds to be that close.  Most of the time, venue holds for Pearl Jam the are in the back corner sections of the lower bowl.  I've even tried to call in a favour with a higher up at Live Nation who owed me a legitimate solid only to be told "ask me for anyone but Pearl Jam and I can help you out".    The money they leave on the table for this fan club fuckery is bananas.  The only reason I'm still a member is because it is still the best shot at getting tickets to see this band.  The fact that they are still almost always less than $150  for 2.5 hour plus sets is also bonkers. 
    Thanks for the insight, I had no clue pj were that protective of their tickets.  Is that one of the reasons they don’t play as much?

also, two of my sons are dying to go to a nba game; can you call your contact and get me three tickets to the 76ers game on 4/10?  ;)

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Clapper said:
    JP218404 said:
    Thank you for sharing this. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,428
    Clapper said:
    JP218404 said:
    This is why I love the way this band does 10C lottos. So people like you can't waive their credit card around and get into shows with a phone call. People like me have a shot with this band and at a great price. What you call fuckery I call fairness. 
  • cgcvjmcgcvjm Posts: 3
    You do not need a code anymore for MSG and other venues. Good luck. 
    edited March 2022
    PJNB said:
    Clapper said:
    JP218404 said:
    This is why I love the way this band does 10C lottos. So people like you can't waive their credit card around and get into shows with a phone call. People like me have a shot with this band and at a great price. What you call fuckery I call fairness. 
    FYI we would still  pay for the ticket. They have no comps 
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    PJNB said:

The fuckery I'm referring to is the complaints.  The lotto, the amount of tickets held for the club and the prices they've kept it to are legit the FAIREST scenario in the business. That's the point I was trying to make.  With the exception of the charitable auctions, no amount of connected or resources gets you additional opportunity with this band. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
    Man they're long overdue for a full Tool heel turn on the fanbase. I thought the GA lists and hand-numbering was going to be the last straw. It must be so liberating. 

"Want our new record? Well we signed a bunch and they're $800 at the merch table. If you bought VIP access you get first crack. Gobble em up, piggies."
    Clapper said:
    PJNB said:

The fuckery I'm referring to is the complaints.  The lotto, the amount of tickets held for the club and the prices they've kept it to are legit the FAIREST scenario in the business. That's the point I was trying to make.  With the exception of the charitable auctions, no amount of connected or resources gets you additional opportunity with this band. 
    Gotcha. I read that wrong. 
    PJNB said:

I'll also give you a pass with the "people like you" comment.  It's not about the credit card, its about the connections. Connections that EARNED with thousands of hours of work for a very specific, very demanding market segment. The mention of the credit card was as illustration that tickets aren't free. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
    Clapper said:
    PJNB said:

I'll also give you a pass with the "people like you" comment.  It's not about the credit card, its about the connections. Connections that EARNED with thousands of hours of work for a very specific, very demanding market segment. The mention of the credit card was as illustration that tickets aren't free. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Thanks for the insight, I had no clue pj were that protective of their tickets.  Is that one of the reasons they don’t play as much?

also, two of my sons are dying to go to a nba game; can you call your contact and get me three tickets to the 76ers game on 4/10?  ;)

I think they just play less because they are 30 years older and have families.  I am sure the travel and accommodations are more luxurious than 30 years ago, but I suspect even the more comfortable grind of the road takes a greater toll when you're middle aged as well.  I can't speak for anyone else but I've found I enjoy working less in my 40's than I did in my 20's and prefer to be paid more for it. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
    Clapper said:
    PJNB said:

thousands of hours of work for a very specific, very demanding market segment.
    Good thing hangin' out on the Pearl Jam forum can give you a respite from that!
    pjl44 said:

Good thing hangin' out on the Pearl Jam forum can give you a respite from that!
    Wish it could be more but my average of 16 posts/year will have to tide the rest of the group over until I have more time :)
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2014 - Detroit
  • Clapper said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think they just play less because they are 30 years older and have families.  I am sure the travel and accommodations are more luxurious than 30 years ago, but I suspect even the more comfortable grind of the road takes a greater toll when you're middle aged as well.  I can't speak for anyone else but I've found I enjoy working less in my 40's than I did in my 20's and prefer to be paid more for it. 
    Hahahaha me too. Im tired, pay me more. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    pjl44 said:
    Man they're long overdue for a full Tool heel turn on the fanbase. I thought the GA lists and hand-numbering was going to be the last straw. It must be so liberating. 

"Want our new record? Well we signed a bunch and they're $800 at the merch table. If you bought VIP access you get first crack. Gobble em up, piggies."

Someone needs to finance the streaming of new albums.
  • Speaking about venue holds, my buddy is a season ticket holder for the knicks. These tickets cost over $20k a year and hes had them for over 25 years. He just got 4 tickets for face from his “guy.”

1. He’s a huge fan, (thanks to my infection), but even if he wasnt, he deserves those tickets bc of his investment. Its the same investment we all make joining tenclub for a very small fee. In this case the tickets are going to pj fans who were shut out of everything, but again that doesnt matter. 

2. There are just way less tickets available than people realize.  Pj is playing 2 shows in the NE, and demand is crazy high.  Its even higher bc people have been waiting for years. You have to assume for a show in high demand that a portion of the tickets are going to people with money and connections. This isn’t something the band can control. Its just the way the world works. No ones pissed at jack nicholson bc he got to sit courtside forever at laker games. I cant afford Knicks season tickets. Should I be upset that my friend can? Thats a childish attitude. 

3. Pearl jam is CLEARLY at the top in terms of securing the largest amount and best tickets for its fanclub as previously stated. They dont have to do this. Life would be much easier for them if they didnt do it. 

Speaking about venue holds, my buddy is a season ticket holder for the knicks. These tickets cost over $20k a year and hes had them for over 25 years. He just got 4 tickets for face from his “guy.”

1. He’s a huge fan, (thanks to my infection), but even if he wasnt, he deserves those tickets bc of his investment. Its the same investment we all make joining tenclub for a very small fee. In this case the tickets are going to pj fans who were shut out of everything, but again that doesnt matter. 

2. There are just way less tickets available than people realize.  Pj is playing 2 shows in the NE, and demand is crazy high.  Its even higher bc people have been waiting for years. You have to assume for a show in high demand that a portion of the tickets are going to people with money and connections. This isn’t something the band can control. Its just the way the world works. No ones pissed at jack nicholson bc he got to sit courtside forever at laker games. I cant afford Knicks season tickets. Should I be upset that my friend can? Thats a childish attitude. 

3. Pearl jam is CLEARLY at the top in terms of securing the largest amount and best tickets for its fanclub as previously stated. They dont have to do this. Life would be much easier for them if they didnt do it. 

Ain’t just venue. It’s label, management, bands, radio stations, etc. 

then a day or two before EVERY show there is a ticket drop of those unused AND the ones they now feel they can throw in after stage set up. 

And that’s a perk of being a Knicks season ticket hold cause being at a Knicks game is a punishment. Kudos to your friend for holding on to them. I had from 93-2002 and no way I would have season ticket for them the last 20 years. Awful. He should get a box with 20 tickets for that. 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JP218404 said:
    Speaking about venue holds, my buddy is a season ticket holder for the knicks. These tickets cost over $20k a year and hes had them for over 25 years. He just got 4 tickets for face from his “guy.”

Ain’t just venue. It’s label, management, bands, radio stations, etc. 

then a day or two before EVERY show there is a ticket drop of those unused AND the ones they now feel they can throw in after stage set up. 

And that’s a perk of being a Knicks season ticket hold cause being at a Knicks game is a punishment. Kudos to your friend for holding on to them. I had from 93-2002 and no way I would have season ticket for them the last 20 years. Awful. He should get a box with 20 tickets for that. 

Hahahahhahaha, 2 decades of punishment. They cant even make a 10 team playoffs, brutal.