Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• EMC77EMC77 Posts: 131
    edited April 2022
    I was away from home last weekend in a holiday cottage with a group of friends and when I turned on the phone on saturday morning I received 2 messages from my best friend and my brother with the sad news.

Fisrt thing I thought was "it's not that Taylor Hawkins", then I opened Facebook and saw the Foo Fighters page. I stayed in my room crying for 1 hour. That group of friends I was with don't live/feel music the way I do so they wouldn't understand the way I felt. They left for a hike and I said I was tired and stayed in the living room, in front of the fireplace, playing my acoustic guitar for the rest of the morning. That was all I felt like doing.

I had seen Foo Fighters twice. And this june I was suposed to take my 10 year old kid to their concert in Valencia. It was going to be great: mum and son trip to a concert. The best birthday present ever, cos FF are my son's favorite band. I hadn't told him anything about the concert yet and I'm glad I didn't cos now I don't have to tell him we're not going and the reason why we're not going.

I still can't hold my tears everytime I listen to Foo Fighters.
    Post edited by EMC77 on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    Really solid cover of My Hero in tribute to Taylor from Wolfgang Van Halen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzsPPTrh1iY
    I was at this show. Really solid version considering they just worked it up that morning.
    Side note, I implore anyone who gets the chance to go see MammothWVH. Wolf is one talented mf'er. Must be genetic.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    Andrew Watt got a hawk tattoo for Taylor

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,841
    goldrush said:

Chad Smith got the same I believe
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022, 9/7/2024, 9/9/2024, 9/12/2024
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    pjpitt89 said:
    goldrush said:

Chad Smith got the same I believe
    Yup. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    What is the significance of the hawk?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    HAWKins. Taylor had it tattooed on his shoulder. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited April 2022
    Thanks. I got to see the foo's acoustic in NY in 06. I'm a big poster guy so bought the poster.

I came out of the venue, took one step in front of a tour bus and was hit by a car. Broke some stuff. The foo manager asked if he could do anything for me, I said, "you can have the band sign my poster". He was not happy. My buddy hung out with Taylor for a while waiting for the ambulance. Just great guys.

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple
    Some blood on there somewhere.

RS65573 said:
    Thanks. I got to see the foo's acoustic in NY in 06. I'm a big poster guy so bought the poster.

I came out of the venue, took one step in front of a tour bus and was hit by a car. Broke some stuff. The foo manager asked if he could do anything for me, I said, "you can have the band sign my poster". He was not happy. My buddy hung out with Taylor for a while waiting for the ambulance. Just great guys.

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple

now that's one helluva story

www.headstonesband.com

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    RS65573 said:

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple

I am glad you are okay, but great story. Plus, seeing them at the Beacon must have been a real treat. 
    Yeah I got lucky. Broke my foot, elbow, but no long term anything. Thanks.

Incredible show. I distinctly remember Dave saying, "what do you guys want from me, its an acoustic show, I'm not Eddie Vedder, im not jumping off the stage."

Also got my favorite foo song Next Year.

If anyone has a boot, PLEASE link.

8/21/06 Foo Fighters acoustic at the Beacon.
    haha, that eddie comment is awesome. 

www.headstonesband.com

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    RS65573 said:

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple

"Watch out, Taylor Hawkins".
    That's an absolute one of a kind.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    RS65573 said:

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple

"Watch out, Taylor Hawkins".
    That's an absolute one of a kind.
    It is, I'm very lucky to have it. Didnt feel lucky at the time! 
    "dude, get well now". Dave COMMANDS YOU

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    ^^That is awesome! Glad you weren't seriously hurt. 

Also, that Mammoth WVH cover was great. Wow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Poncier said:

I was at this show. Really solid version considering they just worked it up that morning.
    Side note, I implore anyone who gets the chance to go see MammothWVH. Wolf is one talented mf'er. Must be genetic.
    That cover was fantastic. Even if they'd been practicing for weeks, it was really good (but yes that much better for a same-day work up).

And point taken, off to look up tour dates because I meant to see them anyway from other songs I heard, but forgot and haven't been watching.

Pretty sure Taylor's heart was warmed by that heartfelt version.... <3 
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    JH6056 said:
    Poncier said:

That cover was fantastic. Even if they'd been practicing for weeks, it was really good (but yes that much better for a same-day work up).

And point taken, off to look up tour dates because I meant to see them anyway from other songs I heard, but forgot and haven't been watching.

Pretty sure Taylor's heart was warmed by that heartfelt version.... <3 
    I just did the same and was shocked to see that they'll be in my town next month.
    Ironically, I just watched a Taylor tribute that Daughtry did with that same song. And they just happen to be playing same venue the night before. I've never seen either band live. But I think I'm gonna hit both shows. The venue is only 3 miles from my house.  :D
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    does anyone else have a delayed sadness to these deaths? with Chris Cornell, it was immediate and harsh (couldn't hold back my tears, even at work in front of co workers). I don't remember hearing about Layne, strangely. But with Kurt, it didn't seem to register. I think I remember even laughing at first at the news. Which, looking back, sounds callous but I think it was just a weird reaction to shocking news. Same with Taylor. My wife told me in the morning. Didn't really register or seem to bother me at first. Then slowly during the course of the day, I became sad. Came to a head at the show I was at that evening. 

Definitely with Gord. I trekked to Kanata to see them one last time, always wanted to see them once in a large hockey arena after decades of seeing them at small venues in NY. It was an experience knowing his illness at that time. After his passing, when a Hip song comes on, his electricity, his stage persona and personality come alive for me. Lately have been getting very sad when I hear their songs as reality without him drudges on.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    Thanks bentlyspop for posting ⭐️
    Thanks Richard Marx for your story💫
    That was beautiful 😥

1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024

• RS65573 said:

Dave in Green
    Taylor in Orange
    Pat in Purple

That tour was amazing!  Glad you are OK and that story is so cool.  Heartbroken over Taylor and feel so bad for the guys.  Some of the best times of my life have been at FF shows (last show was when they re-opened MSG last year - after 2 years of no live music it felt surreal to be at the Garden watching the Foos and singing our asses off with 15,000+ vaccinated people). 
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Poncier said:

Yeah he's really talented - it's impressive enough that he played everything on his record, but on top of that he's got an excellent voice. You can tell he's only gonna get better.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    Pap said:
    I still can’t process this. 
     :'( 

www.headstonesband.com

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    edited April 2022
    Super sad.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • JDime20JDime20 Posts: 195
    Most of my friends are in the “I don’t get it, people actually know the name of a drummer?” crowd, so it’s a nice change of pace to come here and read through all of the comments from people who do. I’ve seen them maybe 10 times, but stopped in recent years as they typically play the same show. Absolutely regretting it now, but you better believe if they ever choose to play again that I’ll be on the rail. I can’t even imagine the love and energy that would fill the building for those guys. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Wow, somehow, as heartbreaking as this is... it also is healing a little? I dunno. You just have to wonder what Dave was thinking while Taylor was talking, since by then I think Taylor had OD'd once and Dave had almost lost him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqGtQQ56hk