Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    KL159781 said:
    Zod said:
    I'm not sure.. but when you've read stuff about Plant, it sounded like he just got too sad doing it without Bonham on the drums.  It's why (aside from a few very rare occasions) have never retoured.   Plant never had a desire to do Zeppelin without Bonham there.  I guess they must of been tight.

Which causes earie similarities to this situation... but one can hope for a better outcome :(
    Did they attempt to continue without him and it was too hard? or was it a "he's gone, we're done"?
    They announced their breakup a couple months after Bonham’s death in 1980 but reunited at Live Aid with Phil Collins and Tony Thompson on drums. What doesn’t get talked about much is that after Live Aid they actually took steps towards continuing on with Tony Thompson as their drummer. Here’s a bit of what Robert Plant said about those 1986 rehearsals:

Robert Plant interviewed in Rolling Stone #522 3/24/88:

RS: What's the real story about the secret rehearsals you, Page and John Paul Jones reportedly held with drummer Tony Thompson after Live Aid? How far did you really get in forming a new Led Zeppelin?

RP: We had a week together with Tony Thompson. This was the following January,'86. The guy who's now my tour manager was brought in to look after the drums, to help Tony Thompson leave Heathrow Airport and travel to this secret destination.

RS: Where was this secret destination?

RP: Isn't it crazy? "Secret destination." It was off the motorway near Peter Gabriel's house in Bath. We took a village hall, filled it with parachutes to take all the angles and corners off the room and set up the equipment. Page duly arrived, and we plugged in. But as much as he wanted to do it, it wasn't time for Pagey to do that. He had just finished the second Firm album, and I think he was a bit confused about what he was doing. And the interesting thing is that after seven years of being without him and fending for myself, I'm a lot more forthright. When I reach a conclusion, I immediately react to it. Way back in the old days, this may have taken a week of mutual discussion. One person couldn't make the decision of four people.

If you want to hear more details on this, here’s a link:

https://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/12882-jones-page-plant-and-thompson-in-1986/

wow, cool, thanks!
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Not important in the scheme of things but its really hard to see where Foo Fighters go from here.  I suspect after an extended period of time out Dave might want to do something different and a solo record under his own name would probably fit with that. Guest appearances on other peoples records seems very likely. Ive no doubt that we will see some "new" material under the Foo Fighters name one day, one final studio release, numerous live releases but find its hard to see them going back on the road rocking out in stadiums with a touring drummer. Unfortunately I would say that as a functioning recording and touring band its over. 

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    FR181798 said:
    Not important in the scheme of things but its really hard to see where Foo Fighters go from here.  I suspect after an extended period of time out Dave might want to do something different and a solo record under his own name would probably fit with that. Guest appearances on other peoples records seems very likely. Ive no doubt that we will see some "new" material under the Foo Fighters name one day, one final studio release, numerous live releases but find its hard to see them going back on the road rocking out in stadiums with a touring drummer. Unfortunately I would say that as a functioning recording and touring band its over. 

Totally agree. Dave Grohl (and Pat Smear) have now gone through losing a band member TWICE. I don't think anyone can really imagine what it's like to lose a "coworker" who is also a BEST friend and also key to the functioning of your "work"... TWICE.

They're gonna need time to just even stay sane....  And I agree it's hard to imagine ever touring again as the FFs, though some recordings with guests or a tribute album to him or somethign is all totally imaginable.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Nobody really knows, but I keep in my
    mind this is a man who rose from the ashes of one of the biggest bands of all time to forge something new. Human resilience is truly something. I don’t believe Grohl will leave music. I’m reading his Storyteller book at the moment and just couldn’t see him stopping. Who knows what will be, but the man’s passion and dedication to the craft is something to behold. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,610
    edited March 2022
    JH6056 said:
    FR181798 said:

Totally agree. Dave Grohl (and Pat Smear) have now gone through losing a band member TWICE. I don't think anyone can really imagine what it's like to lose a "coworker" who is also a BEST friend and also key to the functioning of your "work"... TWICE.

They're gonna need time to just even stay sane....  And I agree it's hard to imagine ever touring again as the FFs, though some recordings with guests or a tribute album to him or somethign is all totally imaginable.
    3X for Pat, unfortunately.
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I guess I'll be contrary.  My guess is they go on hiatus for an extended period of time, but I think once they've had time to absorb what happened, reflect, and get past the waive of grief, that they'll figure out a way to carry on.

I think they like touring to big crowds too much to shut down.   I think it'll take them a long while to get there, but I predict we'll see the foo fighters play again some day.   Maybe they won't settle for a touring drummer.   It'll be different, but maybe they'll try to find someone new who can stick around for a decade or two.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    The Who soldiered on after Keith Moon unexpectedly passed. I’d say his drumming and Taylor’s are respected on a pretty high level. I guess the challenge would be to find someone out there that has the skill, passion, and personality to take the sticks and continue that ride with Dave and the Foos. Maybe Nandi Bushell in the future?
    https://mashable.com/video/dave-grohl-nandi-bushell-played-together-live-everlong
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    no, no, no. that kid is cute, and talented for sure, but I wish people would stop suggesting her. 

www.headstonesband.com

• DE4173DE4173 Posts: 575
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
    DE4173 said:
    thanks for posting. 

www.headstonesband.com

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    DE4173 said:
    Beautifully written, I think we can all identify with many of the sentiments expressed there. 
    does anyone else have a delayed sadness to these deaths? with Chris Cornell, it was immediate and harsh (couldn't hold back my tears, even at work in front of co workers). I don't remember hearing about Layne, strangely. But with Kurt, it didn't seem to register. I think I remember even laughing at first at the news. Which, looking back, sounds callous but I think it was just a weird reaction to shocking news. Same with Taylor. My wife told me in the morning. Didn't really register or seem to bother me at first. Then slowly during the course of the day, I became sad. Came to a head at the show I was at that evening. 

www.headstonesband.com

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    does anyone else have a delayed sadness to these deaths? with Chris Cornell, it was immediate and harsh (couldn't hold back my tears, even at work in front of co workers). I don't remember hearing about Layne, strangely. But with Kurt, it didn't seem to register. I think I remember even laughing at first at the news. Which, looking back, sounds callous but I think it was just a weird reaction to shocking news. Same with Taylor. My wife told me in the morning. Didn't really register or seem to bother me at first. Then slowly during the course of the day, I became sad. Came to a head at the show I was at that evening. 
    Haven’t been able to get Taylor out of my mind 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    DE4173 said:
    Thanks for sharing. This was a nice tribute.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    no, no, no. that kid is cute, and talented for sure, but I wish people would stop suggesting her. 
    Wait, is anyone SERIOUSLY suggesting her?  I read any mention of her as a replacement as a sweet or funny thing, but definitely not serious.  Are some people really thinking that a 10 yr old go on the kind of touring that the Foos have done for ages???  

Even with family & a throng of tutors & caregivers on the road with her, that idea is INSANE.
    These things tend to consume me. It's the ones that come as a shock that feel the worst. Whilst I felt immense sadness (and still do) when Layne, Scott Weiland and most recently Mark Lanegan died, given the lifestyles they led, I was entirely surprised. Cornell was something else, I was truly heartbroken, and whilst that initial sting has subsided, it still really saddens me. I remember seeing G'nR a few weeks after he died, and they covered Black Hole Sun, I was in absolute bits  :( 

Like Cornell, Taylor's death has completely blindsided me, didn't see it coming at all. It's awful to think underneath that fun, out-going, larger than life exterior, he was struggling with things to the point he was self-medicating to that extent. 
    JH6056 said:
    Wait, is anyone SERIOUSLY suggesting her?  I read any mention of her as a replacement as a sweet or funny thing, but definitely not serious.  Are some people really thinking that a 10 yr old go on the kind of touring that the Foos have done for ages???  

Even with family & a throng of tutors & caregivers on the road with her, that idea is INSANE.
    I have seen it suggested seriously online. but that's just social media. 

www.headstonesband.com

These things tend to consume me. It's the ones that come as a shock that feel the worst. Whilst I felt immense sadness (and still do) when Layne, Scott Weiland and most recently Mark Lanegan died, given the lifestyles they led, I was entirely surprised. Cornell was something else, I was truly heartbroken, and whilst that initial sting has subsided, it still really saddens me. I remember seeing G'nR a few weeks after he died, and they covered Black Hole Sun, I was in absolute bits  :( 

Like Cornell, Taylor's death has completely blindsided me, didn't see it coming at all. It's awful to think underneath that fun, out-going, larger than life exterior, he was struggling with things to the point he was self-medicating to that extent. 
    yeah, I think you hit it. Cornell and Taylor were such a shock because it seemed like they were in such a good place, it seemed unimaginable. Of course, this is from the outside looking in. I was sad about Weiland, but man, hearing that was like "surprised it wasn't sooner". Cornell I think was more of a shock because of the how. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    The deaths of Chris Cornell and Anthony Bourdain have hit me the hardest.  Chester Bennington's death was also tough.  A part of me hasn't really accepted that Bourdain is dead.  I put on one of the many episodes of his show saved in my DVR, and it seems like he's still here. 
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393

yeah, I think you hit it. Cornell and Taylor were such a shock because it seemed like they were in such a good place, it seemed unimaginable. Of course, this is from the outside looking in. I was sad about Weiland, but man, hearing that was like "surprised it wasn't sooner". Cornell I think was more of a shock because of the how. 
    Cornell always seemed troubled to me. Similar to Kurt.

RIP Taylor the beast. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22

Yeah, total disbelief. Despite best efforts, I don't think as a society we really understand how vital it is for people to look after their mental health. Even things like physical exercise, which we largely consider to be good for us, can become unhealthy obsessions that allow us to shut out emotions that really need dealing with. If reports are to be believed about Taylor's enlarged heart, and the anxiety he expressed in that Rolling Stone interview in terms of maintaining his physicality as he got older, this may have been the case. Or maybe I'm just grasping for answers.

Cornell always seemed troubled to me. Similar to Kurt.

RIP Taylor the beast. 
    really? he seemed genuinely happy to me. 

www.headstonesband.com

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,699
    It was a long time ago when I was a teenager, but when Cliff Burton died it hit me like a ton of bricks. That is probably the most affected I have been from a musician's death. 
    It was a long time ago when I was a teenager, but when Cliff Burton died it hit me like a ton of bricks. That is probably the most affected I have been from a musician's death. 
    yeah, I had friends who had Metallica on their radar way earlier than I did, and it was the same. Newsted had massive shoes to fill. 

www.headstonesband.com

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Well, they lost their best musician. They may have replaced him, but he was irreplaceable. Their ho-hum catalogue after Master of Puppets is testament to that.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    ddeschler said:
    The deaths of Chris Cornell and Anthony Bourdain have hit me the hardest.  Chester Bennington's death was also tough.  A part of me hasn't really accepted that Bourdain is dead.  I put on one of the many episodes of his show saved in my DVR, and it seems like he's still here. 
              ^^^!!! i read you. After the Las Vegas sniper of concert goers, then Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington - I became depressed.
     Have thought alot about Anthony Bourdain too.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,354
    dankind said:
    Well, they lost their best musician. They may have replaced him, but he was irreplaceable. Their ho-hum catalogue after Master of Puppets is testament to that.
    Totally agree, although I wouldn't even call it ho hum.  Now Garage Days was great, but of course they didn't wrote those songs.  I did like Justice, but I thought the lyrics were great, while the music was just okay.  Hated Black and never went back to them. Cliff was awesome.  I was fortunate enough to be an 8th grader who had an older brother who took him to see Metallica open for Ozzy in '86.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I've thought about that before.  I think I was too young to understand it.  We we brought up on rock stars die at 27 kind of stuff. So it was shocking, but I don't think I understood the magnitude of what he was probably going through.  Plus there were a lot of people that said it was a cowards way out and stuff.   When Chris Cornell died, I was nothing but sad.   It bummed me out. It bummed me out that he was so depressed he could do something like that.  How sad must someone be to take their own life?  Which made me reflect more on what happened to Kurt Cobain, and think of how bad he must of been feeling to do what he did.

Plus Nirvana was big for 2.5 years.   They started to break out at end the end of '91 and they were done by April '94.  It was so short.   Artists you love that die now, we have decade long relationships with their music and concerts.

I was pretty bummed when Gord Downie got diagnosed with Brain Cancer, but less so when he passed.   I guess because it wasn't sudden, you had time to reflect and absorb before he passed.  

I was pretty bummed when Tom Petty died.   Especially when you found out he played the tour with a fractured hip to tough it out, and was using drugs to mask the pain, which led to his passing.. sigh..  Take a tour off and get healthy when you need to.

Those are my big losses over the last number of years.  Chris Cornell, Gord Downie, Tom Petty, and now Taylor Hawkins

The even crazier epiphany I had the last few years, is I didn't understand when people said music saved their lives.  Then one day I realize music turns my mood on a dime.  If I'm ever depressed or feeling sad, all I need to do is put on music, and my mood will instantly change.  It can be sad music, happy music, it doesn't seem to matter.   I didn't realize how lucky it makes me that music can do that for me.

i'm the same, dude. if I'm in a real shit mood, I put on Foo or QOTSA. instant better mood (if it's just a mood and not depression). Headstones also have that affect on me, but more in a rage kinda way, lol. 

www.headstonesband.com

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    Zod said:
    I've thought about that before.  I think I was too young to understand it.  We we brought up on rock stars die at 27 kind of stuff. So it was shocking, but I don't think I understood the magnitude of what he was probably going through.  Plus there were a lot of people that said it was a cowards way out and stuff.   When Chris Cornell died, I was nothing but sad.   It bummed me out. It bummed me out that he was so depressed he could do something like that.  How sad must someone be to take their own life?  Which made me reflect more on what happened to Kurt Cobain, and think of how bad he must of been feeling to do what he did.

Plus Nirvana was big for 2.5 years.   They started to break out at end the end of '91 and they were done by April '94.  It was so short.   Artists you love that die now, we have decade long relationships with their music and concerts.

I was pretty bummed when Gord Downie got diagnosed with Brain Cancer, but less so when he passed.   I guess because it wasn't sudden, you had time to reflect and absorb before he passed.  

I was pretty bummed when Tom Petty died.   Especially when you found out he played the tour with a fractured hip to tough it out, and was using drugs to mask the pain, which led to his passing.. sigh..  Take a tour off and get healthy when you need to.

Those are my big losses over the last number of years.  Chris Cornell, Gord Downie, Tom Petty, and now Taylor Hawkins

The even crazier epiphany I had the last few years, is I didn't understand when people said music saved their lives.  Then one day I realize music turns my mood on a dime.  If I'm ever depressed or feeling sad, all I need to do is put on music, and my mood will instantly change.  It can be sad music, happy music, it doesn't seem to matter.   I didn't realize how lucky it makes me that music can do that for me.

The big ones for me in recent years have been Mark Lanegan, Chris Cornell and Shawn Smith. It will take me a long time to get over Lanegan, and Cornell still seems shocking to me.

Taylor is definitely a big one too, although it feels different to the others. Maybe because the others I have mentioned are singers and lyricists, and I have connected with their words over the years. I'll miss the excitement of watching Taylor and the energy he would bring, you couldn't take your eyes off him. He was a real rock star.

I remember hearing about Kurt Cobain on the news. I was 17 and my first thought was that we had tickets to see Nirvana on their rescheduled UK tour (it had been postponed after the Rome OD). I think it was the first time that a singer that I was into had died, but it wasn't really a shock. Maybe it just seemed inevitable for him. I remember feeling much worse when Shannon Hoon died the following year because that just seemed so sad. I don't remember how or when I found out about Elliott Smith or Layne.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)