Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,759

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Pap said:
    I'm trying to find that Sirius XM (?) interview from a few years ago when Taylor interviewed Soundgarden. So many funny moments...

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • I think the ppl at jazzfest will be in for a nice surprise tonight 
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    I think the ppl at jazzfest will be in for a nice surprise tonight 
    Please, elaborate.
  • I think the ppl at jazzfest will be in for a nice surprise tonight 
    Please, elaborate.
    From my understanding, ff were going to come join rhcp for the final song but the emotions got the best of them or at least Dave grohl
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Tough. Sad for him. Really stinks for such a cool positive rocker. Blah.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Article from Rolling Stone on Taylor Hawkins' last days.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/taylor-hawkins-foo-fighters-tribute-1347073/

Interesting to note that a few people (including Matt Cameron) said that Hawkins went to Dave and Foos management and told them that he couldn't keep touring like they were and wanted to scale it back a bit.  Foos deny that these conversations ever happened. 

Just a shitty situation all aorund.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I find it weird that those people would air the dirty laundry to a reporter at rolling stone?  It doesn't seem like something they would do? We're those quotes taken from other interviews or something?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    Zod said:
    I find it weird that those people would air the dirty laundry to a reporter at rolling stone?  It doesn't seem like something they would do? We're those quotes taken from other interviews or something?
    I was thinking the same thing when I read it last night. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    I think maybe Matt and Chad Smith prefer for their friend Taylor to be portrayed as a victim of the demands of touring, as opposed to....ya know
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I think maybe Matt and Chad Smith prefer for their friend Taylor to be portrayed as a victim of the demands of touring, as opposed to....ya know
    but this almost comes across as demonizing Dave. some will inevitably interpret this as being "dave's fault". which is obviously BS. Taylor was a grown man who made his own decisions and had the ability to walk away if he wanted to. 

www.headstonesband.com

but this almost comes across as demonizing Dave. some will inevitably interpret this as being "dave's fault". which is obviously BS. Taylor was a grown man who made his own decisions and had the ability to walk away if he wanted to. 

I agree. I just think that's where Matt and Chad might be coming from. 

And who knows....maybe Matt and Chad have something against Dave and/or the way he goes about things. No way of knowing for sure, but like you said, certainly their quotes open it up for people to interpret it as Dave's fault, and I'm sure they're smart enough to know that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,381
    edited May 2022
    I suspect that Matt and Chad probably gave good interviews and there was likely a lot more substance. To me, it feels like RS is honing in on certain details and exploiting those interviews to paint this picture in an effort to force Dave/the band to speak, which isn't cool. 
    RS is a tabloid now, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd do that, not one bit. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,785
    It is a good article. The reporter did their homework and spoke with close friends. Dave and the FF camp have been silent so only one side of the story is being told. I hope the truth will eventually be shared, but not sure it ever will. If it was a heart condition or drugs, there is a cautionary tale to be told.
    Right. It's totally possible that Taylor was just venting to his friends but never actually brought anything up to Dave or the Foos. Or if he did bring it up, he may have just casually mentioned it with the FF never thinking it was a big deal.  

Dave is an animal and would seemingly playing 300 shows a year if he could. But I agree that painting this as his fault is pretty shitty. Dave or the FF never had to address this if they don't want to. They should be allowed to grieve how they want. 
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,098
    Hopefully everyone who piped up last year, “I wish PJ toured like FF do” reads this. 
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    It makes Matt and Chad look like snitches and Dave look heartless. Not very cool, but RS doesn’t care. Taylor and Dave were much more than singer and drummer. By comparison it was easy for Eddie to have Krusen and Irons walk away after conversations than a best friend.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,747
    It makes Matt and Chad look like snitches and Dave look heartless. Not very cool, but RS doesn’t care. Taylor and Dave were much more than singer and drummer. By comparison it was easy for Eddie to have Krusen and Irons walk away after conversations than a best friend.
    Boy...  Matt and Chad ought to have known that RS were digging in here. I think they answered questions honestly when asked. So I wouldn't go so far as to say they snitched... but man they should have known this would make Dave/Foos look bad. That's not Matt or Chad's fault... that's either Taylor or Dave's fault because one of two things have to be true here: 

1. Taylor was going through this and told Matt and Chad casually.... but never did actually talk to Dave about it. Which does make Taylor out to be a bit of a liar. (Quite possible)

or

2.  Taylor did tell Dave all of this and those warnings were not taken seriously.  (Also quite possible)

This probably happens more than people think and possibly happens with Matt himself.  I can see him having a conversation with say Chad Smith just venting about a PJ tour etc.  Who knows. And that's not to say that if Matt were to do that... he doesn't show up the next day with the band, maintain composure and get the job done. I can totally see that. That conversation only really becomes relevant if Matt ends up as Taylor sadly did. 

I know this is greasy, gossipy stuff... but I have this suspicion personally that Taylor did talk to Dave and Dave more or less ignored it. Not in a malicious way.... but perhaps just in a way that he had hoped that Taylor would be able to work through it.  The similarities here with Matt stepping in for Jack are striking.   But that's just my opinion.  The reason I think this.... is because since Taylor is gone, no one will know.  But  this situation will absolutely adversely affect Dave and the Foo Fighters possibly to the point of liability if there is any evidence they pressured him to continue knowing he didn't want to or wasn't up to it.  Which screams to me that they have a lot to lose here by admitting truth. Nothing against Matt and Chad for answering questions honestly..... but they had to know this might put them in the crosshairs of bad blood between them and Dave/Foos.   The silence here can get deafening from Dave, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami.  This is really sad stuff and I think this story is gonna blow up a bit. It's been a day since it's been out there to the world and folks like us are speculating.  They're all aware of it, their management is aware of it. The longer they go without personally, individually speaking about it makes them look worse and worse I think.  

To what someone said earlier... there is validity in that he was his own adult person who could have and perhaps should have just walked away. I think maybe it's easier said than done and we've seen this happen far too often with our early 90s rockers. Somehow, Pearl Jam figured out how to do this.  I couldn't help when reading this article the PJ20 doc when Stone explained... "That was the birth of 'No." Or when Neil Young talked about Kurt Cobain.... those sentiments only became relative when Kurt died. This is craziness. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Matt and Chad might also be going to bat for drummers in general. It’s so much more physically taxing than singing or playing any other instrument. Especially with these guys in their 50’s. Matt alludes to that in the article; playing 90’s alternative rock every night when you’re in your 50’s. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    Ryan said:
    Hopefully everyone who piped up last year, “I wish PJ toured like FF do” reads this. 
    I still wish they toured last year like FF. Re-opening venues, playing those postponed dates etc. no one expects PJ to play a huge amount of shows. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    edited May 2022
    Ryan said:
    DMB, not FF. DMB tours a few months a year, every year, during summer and with regular stops. May-July, August off, shorter run in September, and then the rest of the year off the road. The everywhere-all-the-time model that Foo was following, to the point where some of us on the board joked that we just assumed every festival announcement was going to be them, was too much. The DMB model is what I hoped PJ would embrace for a summer or two. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    finally read the entire article. man....two months on and it's still tough. 

www.headstonesband.com

Parksy said:

To what someone said earlier... there is validity in that he was his own adult person who could have and perhaps should have just walked away. I think maybe it's easier said than done and we've seen this happen far too often with our early 90s rockers. Somehow, Pearl Jam figured out how to do this.  I couldn't help when reading this article the PJ20 doc when Stone explained... "That was the birth of 'No." Or when Neil Young talked about Kurt Cobain.... those sentiments only became relative when Kurt died. This is craziness. 
    Matt touched upon that in the article. Foo Fighters are a big business. You walk away and you're affecting hundreds of other people's livelihoods. I can imagine Taylor thinking that he needs a break or needs to scale things back a bit and then thinking about how many people he would let down. Just an impossible situation. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,971
    Matt just posted a statement on Instagram.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Rolling Stone has become such a rag. 

edited May 2022
    double post

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,274
    Fuck Rolling Stone. No wonder Eddie wiped his ass with it.