Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    And thats how you never get a comment from a rock band member again.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    yup, when an interview is being done, and the write only uses 1 or 2 short quotes, you know they're cherry picking to tell a story they want to tell.  No context to the conversation at all.   What a hoser.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,365
    I was this close to never reading rolling stone again…..and now I’m done. RS has been garbage for some time.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    RS has been on the decline for a long, long time. They've now turned into a print version of TMZ. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,747
    Parksy said:
    It makes Matt and Chad look like snitches and Dave look heartless. Not very cool, but RS doesn’t care. Taylor and Dave were much more than singer and drummer. By comparison it was easy for Eddie to have Krusen and Irons walk away after conversations than a best friend.

To what someone said earlier... there is validity in that he was his own adult person who could have and perhaps should have just walked away. I think maybe it's easier said than done and we've seen this happen far too often with our early 90s rockers. Somehow, Pearl Jam figured out how to do this.  I couldn't help when reading this article the PJ20 doc when Stone explained... "That was the birth of 'No." Or when Neil Young talked about Kurt Cobain.... those sentiments only became relative when Kurt died. This is craziness. 
    Matt touched upon that in the article. Foo Fighters are a big business. You walk away and you're affecting hundreds of other people's livelihoods. I can imagine Taylor thinking that he needs a break or needs to scale things back a bit and then thinking about how many people he would let down. Just an impossible situation. 
    agreed
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    RS has been on the decline for a long, long time. They've now turned into a print version of TMZ. 
                                         ^^^  :/-  true
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    Parksy said:
    It makes Matt and Chad look like snitches and Dave look heartless. Not very cool, but RS doesn’t care. Taylor and Dave were much more than singer and drummer. By comparison it was easy for Eddie to have Krusen and Irons walk away after conversations than a best friend.

To what someone said earlier... there is validity in that he was his own adult person who could have and perhaps should have just walked away. I think maybe it's easier said than done and we've seen this happen far too often with our early 90s rockers. Somehow, Pearl Jam figured out how to do this.  I couldn't help when reading this article the PJ20 doc when Stone explained... "That was the birth of 'No." Or when Neil Young talked about Kurt Cobain.... those sentiments only became relative when Kurt died. This is craziness. 
    Matt touched upon that in the article. Foo Fighters are a big business. You walk away and you're affecting hundreds of other people's livelihoods. I can imagine Taylor thinking that he needs a break or needs to scale things back a bit and then thinking about how many people he would let down. Just an impossible situation. 
    Given this was mostly likely out of context, I still feel like responding.

How did PJ figure this out?  I've always gotten the feeling that the band members aren't on the same page when it comes to how often and how long they should tour.  I think some members like to tour more and some members less.   The tours do tend to be on the smaller side, so they must of give a lot of weight to the members who like to tour less.

I wonder what those conversations were like and how they arrived at resolutions.   Maybe other bands could learn from them... or maybe it was trainwreck behind the scenes.. lol.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    Could not agree more. RS went downhill a LONG time ago. The final straw for me was when they put the Boston Marathon Bomber on the cover. As someone who was a block away when the bomb went off, that just never sat well with me.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Wow, fuck RS indeed. Kudos to those who sniffed out from the get go
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    JimmyV said:
    Good to hear from him on this. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    Political rag at best. What a POS magazine. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,785
    They talked with the media. They know how this works. Kudos to Dave and the FF for keeping it private.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Last time I actually thought RS was highquality was 1993.  And I subscribed through the rest of the 90s for some weird reason. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,165
    Why are we mad at RS? If you interview two high profile musicians and get what they got, that's a story. I understand why Matt might regret how it turned out, but that's journalism. I found it interesting that he and Chad were coming from the same place. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,165
    Here's Chad's statement. I get why they would be upset but I don't find myself getting upset on their behalf.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Could not agree more. RS went downhill a LONG time ago. The final straw for me was when they put the Boston Marathon Bomber on the cover. As someone who was a block away when the bomb went off, that just never sat well with me.
    Yep, terrible form. Just terrible. It pissed me off too and I’m nowhere near Boston. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    pjl44 said:
    Why are we mad at RS? If you interview two high profile musicians and get what they got, that's a story. I understand why Matt might regret how it turned out, but that's journalism. I found it interesting that he and Chad were coming from the same place. 
    Agreed. Matt and Chad spoke candidly, unknowingly against the Foo camp response. So now they understandably walk it back. 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    Fuck Rolling Stone. And fuck the media in general nowadays. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    From one perspective I think those comments should not have been shared with a reporter.   Those are personal.

On the other hand this might be the opportunity to tell to musicians that it is difficult to keep up that pace and it is okay to talk about.
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    finally read the entire article. man....two months on and it's still tough. 
    I thought it was a great article. Will be interesting to see how RS responds to Matt and Chad's statements (Maybe post the entire audio?)

FF are crazy with their touring schedule - I'd say that's an objective truth. But flying to Australia for 1 show is next level. Could definitely see how people in their camp might not have been jacked about that. (If true, that is.)
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    PeterED said:
    finally read the entire article. man....two months on and it's still tough. 
    I thought it was a great article. Will be interesting to see how RS responds to Matt and Chad's statements (Maybe post the entire audio?)

FF are crazy with their touring schedule - I'd say that's an objective truth. But flying to Australia for 1 show is next level. Could definitely see how people in their camp might not have been jacked about that. (If true, that is.)
    what a waste....just to be "the first big show". 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    I was one touting FF’s commitment to touring compared to PJ but perhaps the FF model isn’t best for everyone.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Zod said:
    Parksy said:

Given this was mostly likely out of context, I still feel like responding.

How did PJ figure this out?  I've always gotten the feeling that the band members aren't on the same page when it comes to how often and how long they should tour.  I think some members like to tour more and some members less.   The tours do tend to be on the smaller side, so they must of give a lot of weight to the members who like to tour less.

I wonder what those conversations were like and how they arrived at resolutions.   Maybe other bands could learn from them... or maybe it was trainwreck behind the scenes.. lol.
    this is what struck me the most in terms of Matt's comments.  This explains PJ not playing 33+ songs on this tour.  Not even that it's Matt saying that but likely they all decided that it just isn't worth it anymore. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    I imagine Matt Cameron and Chad smith are saving face here. They must have gotten some push back from their bands or Dave. Anyways, rolling stone can easily straighten this out. Post the full interviews. We shall see who was right or who was wrong.
  • sfrdudersfrduder Posts: 263
    Get_Right said:
    They talked with the media. They know how this works. Kudos to Dave and the FF for keeping it private.
    Exactly. 
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I imagine Matt Cameron and Chad smith are saving face here. They must have gotten some push back from their bands or Dave. Anyways, rolling stone can easily straighten this out. Post the full interviews. We shall see who was right or who was wrong.
    What else could they add to this interview that would've changed what they said? RS quoted what they said. Sure, they probably left out some of the pieces but what Matt and Chad were saying was the truth from personal experience and what Taylor told them.

Matt and Chad shouldn't have ever said what they said if they didn't want the public to hear their side of the story. Now they are regretting it. RS may be shite but they are just doing their job.

FF hasn't made any public comments and there's probably a reason for that. Matt and Chad eluded to some of the issues.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Whenever someone dies young and under circumstances like this… things will be said

ive been to more than 1 funeral and saw a fist fight

Its all here say
    JB16057 said:
    What else could they add to this interview that would've changed what they said? RS quoted what they said. Sure, they probably left out some of the pieces but what Matt and Chad were saying was the truth from personal experience and what Taylor told them.

Matt and Chad shouldn't have ever said what they said if they didn't want the public to hear their side of the story. Now they are regretting it. RS may be shite but they are just doing their job.

FF hasn't made any public comments and there's probably a reason for that. Matt and Chad eluded to some of the issues.
    just because it's an actual quote doesn't mean it wasn't taken out of context. context matters. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    JB16057 said:

just because it's an actual quote doesn't mean it wasn't taken out of context. context matters. 
    Yeah but on the other hand, look at these quotes....

He had a heart-to-heart with Dave and, yeah, he told me that he ‘couldn’t fucking do it anymore’ — those were his words,” says Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron, a close friend of Hawkins’ for decades who recorded music with him recently under the banner Nighttime Boogie Association, one of Hawkins’ many side projects. “So I guess they did come to some understanding, but it just seems like the touring schedule got even crazier after that.”

He tried to keep up,” Cameron says. “He just did whatever it took to keep up, and in the end he couldn’t keep up.”

Hawkins turned to Cameron for advice, since the Pearl Jam drummer faced similar pressures. “There’s only a handful of guys in our profession that still play this intense high-energy, Nineties rock music,” Cameron says. “We both had to strike that balance of ‘We never want to complain,’ but there are real, specific things about what we do that’s really fucking challenging and really difficult. … It’s like we have to be able to sort of run a marathon every time we hit the stage, just because the music sort of calls for that type of energy.”

After reading the article a second time, I think Matt's quotes were used pretty fairly. He said in his Instagram post that he thought the point of the article was to pay tribute to Taylor. Well, Matt could've paid tribute (which he does during other parts of the article) without saying "he couldn't fucking do it anymore" and noting "their tour schedule got even crazier after that." But he said what he said. I don't think these quotes were taken out of context. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    JB16057 said:

Yeah but on the other hand, look at these quotes....

He had a heart-to-heart with Dave and, yeah, he told me that he ‘couldn’t fucking do it anymore’ — those were his words,” says Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron, a close friend of Hawkins’ for decades who recorded music with him recently under the banner Nighttime Boogie Association, one of Hawkins’ many side projects. “So I guess they did come to some understanding, but it just seems like the touring schedule got even crazier after that.”

He tried to keep up,” Cameron says. “He just did whatever it took to keep up, and in the end he couldn’t keep up.”

Hawkins turned to Cameron for advice, since the Pearl Jam drummer faced similar pressures. “There’s only a handful of guys in our profession that still play this intense high-energy, Nineties rock music,” Cameron says. “We both had to strike that balance of ‘We never want to complain,’ but there are real, specific things about what we do that’s really fucking challenging and really difficult. … It’s like we have to be able to sort of run a marathon every time we hit the stage, just because the music sort of calls for that type of energy.”

After reading the article a second time, I think Matt's quotes were used pretty fairly. He said in his Instagram post that he thought the point of the article was to pay tribute to Taylor. Well, Matt could've paid tribute (which he does during other parts of the article) without saying "he couldn't fucking do it anymore" and noting "their tour schedule got even crazier after that." But he said what he said. I don't think these quotes were taken out of context. 
    um, since you were only given the quotes that were printed, and having not seen the full context, how could you claim to believe they weren't taken out of context? that can't possibly known without the context! 

www.headstonesband.com