Holy shit.. earthlings is very very GOOD

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Spending some time with the lyrics - fuck, Ed really knocks it out of the park again.

Lots of themes of hope, togetherness, love. Very much needed now. But without being corny.

I love that Invincible encourages togetherness and love in the face constant division.

Fallout Today and In The Dark address sadness and emotional weight, and how allowing yourself to share that pain with another can help lift some of the pain. These two really spoke to me - it’s tempting to keep sadness to yourself but in the end trying to fight that battle alone can be a losing one.

Brother the Cloud on how grief can bring a loved one to their knees. I’m drawing a further meaning but to me it shines a light on the party that suffers when a loved one ends their suffering - pain without healing never ends it just shifts around.

Rose of Jericho - it’s a plant from the Middle East, desert area that can apparently rejuvenate itself. I may need more time with this one but I’m feeling themes of life and regrowth despite less than habitable conditions.

Power of Right and Good Vs Evil to me scream frustrations with the selfish, destructive partners in relationships. Ed’s more angry outlet - love both of these.

Would love to hear other’s take on the lyrics!
    Good & Evil have a great antidote on those (2) spawn of the Cheeto President shooting big game

fenced in animals non the less

I’m not into killing animals, but if you do…. Make it a real hunt u pussies 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    CROJAM95 said:
    Spending some time with the lyrics - fuck, Ed really knocks it out of the park again.

Lots of themes of hope, togetherness, love. Very much needed now. But without being corny.

I love that Invincible encourages togetherness and love in the face constant division.

Fallout Today and In The Dark address sadness and emotional weight, and how allowing yourself to share that pain with another can help lift some of the pain. These two really spoke to me - it’s tempting to keep sadness to yourself but in the end trying to fight that battle alone can be a losing one.

Brother the Cloud on how grief can bring a loved one to their knees. I’m drawing a further meaning but to me it shines a light on the party that suffers when a loved one ends their suffering - pain without healing never ends it just shifts around.

Rose of Jericho - it’s a plant from the Middle East, desert area that can apparently rejuvenate itself. I may need more time with this one but I’m feeling themes of life and regrowth despite less than habitable conditions.

Power of Right and Good Vs Evil to me scream frustrations with the selfish, destructive partners in relationships. Ed’s more angry outlet - love both of these.

Would love to hear other’s take on the lyrics!
    Good & Evil have a great antidote on those (2) spawn of the Cheeto President shooting big game

fenced in animals non the less

I’m not into killing animals, but if you do…. Make it a real hunt u pussies 
    Oh good take! (Thankfully) hadn’t thought of that family in a bit.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • static111 said:
    static111 said:
    DoTc would kill the vibes coming off Quick Escape dead in the tracks with it's 80s dead sound. Just like it kills the momentum on Gigaton.
    Dude DotC is the only great song on Gigaton, I don't know why you are always hating on it.  I think the production on that track tops the whole record. 
    I have never hated, to my knowledge, on the song DotC in-itself. I've liked that song since the first time I heard it.
    Could have sworn you have repeatedly mentioned its vibe killer status and dead production sound.

I don't think it works production wise on that album, and following Who ever said and Superblood Wolfmon. But as a stand alone song, or together with songs that would share that "production" I see no problems. It's cool.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spending some time with the lyrics - fuck, Ed really knocks it out of the park again.

I double that because I really like your thoughts and descriptions of each song :) ... but for today I go for invincible and the great sum up you gave, - my melody and hope for tonight, thanks! 
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,345
    WW187806 said:
    WW187806 said:
    Wasn't planning on weighing in, and dont want to in full now. Lil background... fan since '92 became big fan '96, and with Yield superfan. 50+ shows. Have a bunch of posters, but won't fight anyone for it or stand in line for days. Have all the vinyl, but not a vinyl freak. Almost any interview, or release Ed or Pearl Jam have done I've had the ears open. Just saw both NYC. Ive heard the singles, and Invincible. After the live shows (still haven't wholly reviewed that, tough going into NYC on work nights and then doing it again, and bringing it) I thought... how do I want to listen to this album. Wasn't leaked... There's just not alot of good shit getting released, and after COVID with the 5 year wait for Gigaton... I wanted to make hearing the album/songs for the first time cool. Have some fun with it!

*First, wholeheartedly agree with thought EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion on here (politely) or what are we doing?
    My thought before going through this discussion was Brother is greatness, Long Way a classy tribute to Petty esp. with Benmont on it. So cool, its a fluffy song, but Ed sounds great, and its for Tom, really. Haves I felt he was trying to sing, I wanted to like a ballad (haven't really had one, an no not Sirens!). I get it, its genuine, from the heart, I'll still give it some listens. Now, Invincible blew me away. I loved the intro, the lyrics, and the band is just a storm! They sound tight! But it does have some of that production gloss... 

Now I am going to pick up the record tomorrow at a record store in person, and do like I did when I was 15 and hear some songs in the car. Until then, gonna keep lookin at the interviews etc. Following through all of the articles, podcasts!, you'd be a dummy not to realize Ed was putting himself out there. Seems as if the cloud over his head has moved a bit, and there's some light shining through. Just overall, in a good place, and hearing the live songs once I know its upbeat, and I think its gonna be good. For now another new song tonight, maybe two from iTunes. Check back in on you Earthlings later. Looks like consensus here was that the minority thinks its great. Rest like some stuff, some like none at all. Interesting. I will say as a parting note that NYC 2 was one of the best live shows I have ever seen, lucky to be there.

mic drop
    This wasn’t weighing in “in full”? How long will that post be??? ;)
    that make u feel good, u spiteful hog
    Hahaha I was just messing with ya. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Listened to it a bunch now. Really love half of it, like most of the rest but a few will be skipped moving forward. It’s a nice collection of songs for sure and always happy to have more vedder. I prefer ITW as an album as a whole…guess I like the unifying theme better maybe?  Dunno.

hippiemom = goodness
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Another day, another listen and I continue to like it even more. A couple songs that were mediocre at first are now fully in the “I really like this” category.  Power of Right is one and Fallout Today is the other. Fallout Today is really getting up there for me. And Invincible is an absolute gem. Killer album. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    edited February 2022
    It's growing on me.   Probably listened through it about 4 times now.   Didn't hit me on the first listen, the 2nd listen put me into a good mood, 3rd listen was still not phasing me, but enjoyed the 4th listen.

Some of the songs are really starting to grow on me.  I love the duet with Elton John, it's so much better than the one on the Elton John record.

There a parts of the album that feel a bit over produced.  IE Eddie's vocals seem to not be so raw, but possibility mixed oddly or put through protools?   I know he's older, but he's still got pipes, don't really need to do that to his voice?  Other songs seems better and less effects used.

I think this ones going to need to digest with me for a while.   Into the Wild is one of my favourite PJ related things that's come out in the last 15 years, so that a high bar. I am liking it more then ukelele songs or lightning bolt.  On par with Gigaton.   Decent post Avacado PJ/EV, but doesn't hit me like older stuff.

I'm sure it'll change with more listens.  As an adult one of things it's hard to find time to do is listen to albums repetitively.   When I was younger and had nothing but time, many albums didn't hit me first listen.  The different between then and now, is then I'd spin them a bunch and give them a chance to grow on me.  Something I really only give a chance to PJ and EV stuff. 

I am getting super pumped for the concerts next week.  A feeling I haven't had for quite some time.  
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Holy moly this post blew up!! 

Funny to see so much negative feedback but hey can’t please everyone, especially old school pj fans I guess haha 

I’m only 27 and have been a super fan since 17 so maybe I’m not so jaded about Eddie’s voice, or how it’s too soft sounding, or how it’s all over the place, or too poppy or whatever else.

To me it’s just a master class by an aged rocker who still has a lot to offer this world musically. His voice is still great to me, the lyrics are unbelievably refreshing to me, and the sound is both unique and new while also uniquely Eddie.

But then again Eddie and company are literally my childhood heroes, always will be. I love these men, I love their music, and I love this forum for allowing us fans to debate all this shit!!

So thank you PJ, thank you moderators and pj workers, and mostly.. thank you mr Eddie fucking Jerome vedder!!!

Agreed, great to see another young fan enjoying the album as much as I am.  I’m 29, started with PJ in 2006 and started following shows in 2010 at 18
    Younger fans unite haha! I’m 28 and this album is awesome, haven’t stopped listening to it since it came out. So musically diverse and fun. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    DoTc would kill the vibes coming off Quick Escape dead in the tracks with it's 80s dead sound. Just like it kills the momentum on Gigaton.
    Dude DotC is the only great song on Gigaton, I don't know why you are always hating on it.  I think the production on that track tops the whole record. 
    I have never hated, to my knowledge, on the song DotC in-itself. I've liked that song since the first time I heard it.
    Could have sworn you have repeatedly mentioned its vibe killer status and dead production sound.

I don't think it works production wise on that album, and following Who ever said and Superblood Wolfmon. But as a stand alone song, or together with songs that would share that "production" I see no problems. It's cool.
    I see. Looks like I was misunderstanding your point. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    I’m connecting to and loving it more on every listen.  As usual EV lyrics speak to my heart and many of the songs seem to be exactly what I needed right now. Loving all of the songs.  Good and evil just rocks and I love the anger (need to get that shit out!) and I love the sound of the song. 

@OceansJenny I’m with you on falling more for the album as I delve into the lyrics. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • I'm really digging this album so far. I like how experimental it is and none of the songs really sound like anything else he's done. Definitely not what I was expecting for a solo Ed record. The Earthlings really make this something different for him. All that being said, I don't think anything can beat the Into the Wild soundtrack for me ever, as far as his solo work goes.

My favorites so far are The Dark, Fallout Today, Brother the Cloud and On My Way. Good and Evil is a good rocker and is not a song I thought I'd hear on a solo Ed record. The Long Way and The Haves ironically are not my favorites. I do like the Petty sound on the Long way though. Really love that his dad's vocals are on a song after all these years. Great closer to the album. 

Also, do not agree that invincible at all sounds like Coldplay, but that's just me. It really doesn't bother me anymore when people say they hate a PJ or Ed song anymore.  To each their own. And to be honest,  I don't think any of them even care if someone hates a song or album. Part of their evolution both as a band/solo artists is experimenting and playing what they want.

Cheers!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    JPPJ84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    is there any link to the lyrics for the songs anywhere?
    https://www.waytolyrics.com/2022/02/eddie-vedder-earthling-album-tracklist.html?m=1
    Awesome, thanks!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    igotid88 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    is there any link to the lyrics for the songs anywhere?
    Lyric videos on YouTube 
    Cool, thanks for the heads up!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    tish said:
    Well, I googled Eleanor Rigby and under that video link by the Beatles, @Veddhedd, I noticed EV has lyric videos, if you're into accuracy.
    I think this was for me, but thanks for the heads up!
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    Thanks for the lyrics link. I was surprised the CD did not come with a booklet, in fact it took me a minute to realize it wasn't just missing from my copy. Maybe the Deluxe version will have a booklet. The album art photos are interesting. Here is the house in Barcelona where the pictures were taken.
  • lukinsfridge05lukinsfridge05 Posts: 63
    edited February 2022
    Fuck the past Or
    you’ll fuck your future
    no questions asked
    for fear that the truth hurts
  • This is slowly turning into an amazing album.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    vedpunk said:
    Rose of Jericho would have been / is an amazing Pearl Jam song.  Why wasn’t  this the lead single!?
    When i hear the vocal delivery on this track it reminds me of SBWM every time, as the bridge part of Brother reminds me of DOTC.......

Its very clear these have been written in the same era

To me the album is decent enough, its not amazing, but its ok. The test will be in a year or so when we all look back and no longer have the initial excitement of new music coursing through us. 

Over the years we have seen PJ albums hit the world, and the initial reaction is generally speaking always very very overwhelmingly posiitve. I recall BS being released and the praise being absolutely huge, then LB, and since that time - those records have become regular punch bags. I have a feeling this solo record might meet the same fate. I'm not even saying I dont like it either, I do, its just ok to me. 

Standouts are still Invincible, Dark, and Good and Evil.....and I do really like the Beatles cover ;) 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I wish Invincible was the first single.  
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,445
    Great album. Doesn’t beat ITW in my book (which is one of my all-time favorites), but it’s still very, very good. I like that it’s very different from PJ and also very different from his prior solo albums. It’s a really interesting and diverse album that does a great job incorporating elements of grunge, punk, classic rock, and folk. Ed wears his musical influences on his sleeve and IMO it works really well. My personal favorites are invincible, power of right, brother, fallout today, and mrs. mills. The latter sounds like something right off of sgt. pepper. I also love the duet with Ed’s dad (who sounds like a combination of Ed and Sinatra) in on my way- what a perfect way to close the album. It’s pretty amazing that Ed is still making such incredible music after 30+ years. It makes me remember just how fortunate I am to be a part of the PJ/EV community. And I can’t wait to see what the Watt produced PJ album looks like. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,540
    pdalowsky said:
    vedpunk said:
    Rose of Jericho would have been / is an amazing Pearl Jam song.  Why wasn’t  this the lead single!?
    When i hear the vocal delivery on this track it reminds me of SBWM every time, as the bridge part of Brother reminds me of DOTC.......

To me the album is decent enough, its not amazing, but its ok. The test will be in a year or so when we all look back and no longer have the initial excitement of new music coursing through us. 

Over the years we have seen PJ albums hit the world, and the initial reaction is generally speaking always very very overwhelmingly posiitve. I recall BS being released and the praise being absolutely huge, then LB, and since that time - those records have become regular punch bags. I have a feeling this solo record might meet the same fate. I'm not even saying I dont like it either, I do, its just ok to me. 

Standouts are still Invincible, Dark, and Good and Evil.....and I do really like the Beatles cover ;) 
    that's interesting. my recollection of BS and LB were generally shit on here from the start and love grew over time. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Both BS and LB were mixed bags on here. With a slight shift towards people thinking LB was a step up.

There were lot of people not enjoying The Fixer and hating the video, when it was released, and only got a bit calmer when Got Some followed. 

Remember when people who have heard the album before said that Sirens was a new Black? Good times.
    My current ranking of tracks:

1) Brother the cloud
    2) Invincible
    3) Good & Evil
    4) Power of Right
    5) On My Way
    6) Try
    7) The Haves
    8) Rose of Jericho
    9) The Long Way
    10) Picture
    11) Mrs. Mills
    12) Fallout Today
    13) The Dark

Though the order of 7-11 could vary everyday depending on my mood.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    pdalowsky said:
    vedpunk said:

that's interesting. my recollection of BS and LB were generally shit on here from the start and love grew over time. 
    LOL, amoungst the PJ friends I have amassed over the years they are almost universally united in their hatred of BS. 

Funny thing is I quite like it :)

• See BS had  a great tour. Great memories  and scenes. That was one great time..but listening  now its  not solid 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    It's a brilliant headphones album - a lot of little details are clearer. Really enjoyed it.
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    BS has gotten better with age in my opinion.  

Earthling sounds great on headphones.   I agree.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    vedpunk said:

LOL, amoungst the PJ friends I have amassed over the years they are almost universally united in their hatred of BS. 

Funny thing is I quite like it :)

Me too, and Lightning Bolt! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Both BS and LB were mixed bags on here. With a slight shift towards people thinking LB was a step up.

There were lot of people not enjoying The Fixer and hating the video, when it was released, and only got a bit calmer when Got Some followed. 

Remember when people who have heard the album before said that Sirens was a new Black? Good times.
    I put BS at the bottom but there are still some good songs on there. I can't say I cared for the way that record sounded though. Just flat to me.

LB was definitely a step up in my opinion. Gigaton a bigger step up.

Always despised Sirens. Music to jump off a building to.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana