As opposed to the normal discourse on this site. :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    edited February 2022
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    This is dumb. 
    As opposed to the normal discourse on this site. :lol:
    Yeah, agree.  Funnier than arguing over things that actually matter but our opinions also have no impact on.
    (And fighting speculation on two old men is perhaps the dumbest/funniest conversation of all.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    edited February 2022
    Pearl Jam's social media getting involved, an ultra-rare Tim Bierman sighting, Ed referencing it onstage...this is dumb. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    edited February 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Pearl Jam's social media getting involved, an ultra-rare Tim Bierman sighting, Ed referencing it onstage...this is dumb. 
    I think "petty" is a better descriptor than dumb.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,114
    edited February 2022
    Missed opportunity to not have Tim Bierman as Eddies hypeman onstage.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,629
    Also, for the people talking concert sizes....this is a measure of popularity, yes?
    Wouldn't album sales also be a measure of that, specifically  for any grandpa bands like ones formed in 80s or 90s, before the days of the download ruining that?  
    Motley Crue sold out stadiums for years.

igotid88 said:
    What will Jeff say?

I mean, they’ve been NOT selling out stadiums longer than they’ve been selling out stadiums w/o other bands help, PJ has been selling out stadiums and headlining real festivals since MC has not been selling them out. 
  • Sixx and Vedder should hash it out. Then they could do a duet version of "the haves"
  • Also, for the people talking concert sizes....this is a measure of popularity, yes?
    Wouldn't album sales also be a measure of that, specifically  for any grandpa bands like ones formed in 80s or 90s, before the days of the download ruining that?  
    Motley Crue sold out stadiums for years.

igotid88 said:
    What will Jeff say?

I mean, they’ve been NOT selling out stadiums longer than they’ve been selling out stadiums w/o other bands help, PJ has been selling out stadiums and headlining real festivals since MC has not been selling them out. 
    I like Pearl Jam more....but also like Crue.  Plus, this is funny, to me.
    I don't know where to find how many tickets each band is estimated to have sold, over course of careers.  
    I can see that by albums, though, and it is not comparable.    
    Also -- a band's popularity means little, to me.  
    People don't go to see Mr Bungle or JSBX, but they love Doja Cat.  
    Just putting it out there since this seems an important indicator, to some.
  • Seems it more sums up what passes for "News Media" these days.  I read the original article the day before all the sloppy outlets decided to pick this tiny comment up as a headline.

The original article was interesting, Ed spun the questioning round and was effectively interviewing the journo a few times! There was a great section on loss, grief and mental health.

But of course it's 2022 and all anyone will remember now is playground shit talking.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2022
    I was big into hair metal before I got into alternative back in the day. I couldn't relate to the "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" mantra and alternative music appealed to me on a level that some of that other stuff could not. That said, misogyny in music predates Motley Crue and some of the bands that most influence PJ were high on the list of worst offenders. Although I agree with Ed's overall point, he could have just as easily singled out one of them, though that my have hit a little too close to home. So yea, I'll vote with those that think the whole thing is dumb.
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • on2legs said:

Amazing... =)
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    The most surprising thing about this whole thing is that we now have a thread of 8 pages about what a member of flipping Motley Crue thinks of Pearl Jam. People need to get out more!  :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • 87astro said:
    My money is on Eddie in a fight.....I feel as if Nikki would be too concerned with his nails and makeup and hair....Ed looks like he would be a scrapper....

• ^^^ Habs fan? 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,354
    Cmon. This is fun as hell.  Finally twitter is good for something.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Sarava said:
    3days said:
    3days said:
    Pearl Jam sets fastest sellout records for Wrigley Field. Motley Crue can't sellout Wrigley, even when dragging along 3 other name bands. Why are we talking about this?
    Selling out certain places or not. Why are you talking about that?
    Mr Sixx's claim is that Pearl Jam is one of the most boring bands of all time. I'm trying to follow his logic: They are so boring that they quickly sell out stadiums, by themselves, that The Crue couldn't even dream of filling? 
    FYI - the Wrigley show for Motley Crue, Def Leppard and Poison was originally sold out before the pandemic. It's not currently sold out due to many people taking refunds from 2 postponements. I took my refund after they postponed it a 2nd time last summer.

Not based on what I saw, but maybe it just took them longer to sell out the event. Assuming you're right, I would still argue that Motley Crue couldn't dream of selling out Wrigley on their own. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    mrussel1 said:
    Cmon. This is fun as hell.  Finally twitter is good for something.

I agree. After all the shit from the last two years, this is a nice break.
  • Jeff or Stone Gossard needs to have a sit down with Eddie

Grunge is often (unfairly) blamed for ending hair metal’s popularity, but Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard admits he was influenced by many of the ‘80s biggest rock groups, including Motley Crue.

"The first Motley Crue record was punk-rock to me,” Gossard explained during an appearance on the Let There Be Talk podcast. “It was in that MotorheadSex Pistols area. It is heavy, and at the time, the hair and the makeup — it was a little bit more gender-bending, it felt a little bit exciting in this kind of the Bowie sort of way.”

Watching Motley Crue push boundaries with their music and persona was an eye opening experience for Gossard. "That was just like, 'Wow, you can be a freak.' Yeah, we were absorbing that, and bands like the Cult who made that record with Rick Rubin, which was just like a romantic goth band from the '80s. Then they did this kind of shift and it felt great.”

The Pearl Jam co-founder went on to explain that what he admired about many of the era’s acts was their ability to merge different styles of music. “That was the exciting thing about the '80s — all bets were off,” Gossard declared. “It's going to be dance or it could be glam, or it could be funk, or it could be heavy metal.”

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,223
    on2legs said:

lol
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,165
    Jeff or Stone Gossard needs to have a sit down with Eddie

Grunge is often (unfairly) blamed for ending hair metal’s popularity, but Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard admits he was influenced by many of the ‘80s biggest rock groups, including Motley Crue.

"The first Motley Crue record was punk-rock to me,” Gossard explained during an appearance on the Let There Be Talk podcast. “It was in that MotorheadSex Pistols area. It is heavy, and at the time, the hair and the makeup — it was a little bit more gender-bending, it felt a little bit exciting in this kind of the Bowie sort of way.”

Watching Motley Crue push boundaries with their music and persona was an eye opening experience for Gossard. "That was just like, 'Wow, you can be a freak.' Yeah, we were absorbing that, and bands like the Cult who made that record with Rick Rubin, which was just like a romantic goth band from the '80s. Then they did this kind of shift and it felt great.”

The Pearl Jam co-founder went on to explain that what he admired about many of the era’s acts was their ability to merge different styles of music. “That was the exciting thing about the '80s — all bets were off,” Gossard declared. “It's going to be dance or it could be glam, or it could be funk, or it could be heavy metal.”

Stone needs to come out and shit on Springsteen then it's really on
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    edited February 2022
    87astro said:
    My money is on Eddie in a fight.....I feel as if Nikki would be too concerned with his nails and makeup and hair....Ed looks like he would be a scrapper.... 

Looks like an extra from Mad Max
    Post edited by BALLBOY on
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
    pjl44 said:

No blasphemy 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,165
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

No blasphemy 
    It would really mix things up you have to admit
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

No blasphemy 
    It would really mix things up you have to admit
    You must hate Baby Jesus to think thoughts like that. 
  • I can’t back Eddie on this one.  He could have made his point without name-checking Motley Crue.  He got on his high horse about supporting women and not objectifying them, then fired an unprovoked shot at Motley just to pump himself up.  I found it off putting, but then adding the comment about Guns N Roses was ridiculous.  I guess he wanted to make sure Duff didn’t take offense at his remarks, but it makes you wonder if Ed ever even owned Appetite for Destruction.  The GNR lyrics are way, WAY more misogynistic and objectifying of women than anything Motley Crue ever put out.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    I feel like if Kurt had said the same thing. People Against Ed would be for it. Heck if Dave Grohl said it 
    I miss igotid88
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    edited February 2022
    NM70698 said:
    I can’t back Eddie on this one.  He could have made his point without name-checking Motley Crue.  He got on his high horse about supporting women and not objectifying them, then fired an unprovoked shot at Motley just to pump himself up.  I found it off putting, but then adding the comment about Guns N Roses was ridiculous.  I guess he wanted to make sure Duff didn’t take offense at his remarks, but it makes you wonder if Ed ever even owned Appetite for Destruction.  The GNR lyrics are way, WAY more misogynistic and objectifying of women than anything Motley Crue ever put out.
    Right!?! Also, the literal fucking recording of “Rocket Queen” comes to mind.

Edit: I mean, it was consensual and for the “art.” But it still seems exploitative. I want to ask if she got paid, but that seems even MORE exploitative. Still, she’s pretty prominently featured on that track. She should get some major coin. 

I’m conflicted. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Did 10C and the band go on Twitter to update how fans losing out on Baltimore reschedule tickets will be taken care of?

Good thing they can throw shade at an 80s band, though.
  • NM70698 said:
    I can’t back Eddie on this one.  He could have made his point without name-checking Motley Crue.  He got on his high horse about supporting women and not objectifying them, then fired an unprovoked shot at Motley just to pump himself up.  I found it off putting, but then adding the comment about Guns N Roses was ridiculous.  I guess he wanted to make sure Duff didn’t take offense at his remarks, but it makes you wonder if Ed ever even owned Appetite for Destruction.  The GNR lyrics are way, WAY more misogynistic and objectifying of women than anything Motley Crue ever put out.