Nikki Sixx: Pearl Jam is "one of the most boring bands in history"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Wait, Eddie hates Motley Crue?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Wait, Eddie hates Motley Crue?

In a recent interview with The New York Times, Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder minced no words in regards to Mötley Crüe and the late-Eighties hair-metal scene. "'Girls, Girls, Girls' and Mötley Crüe: [expletive] you," he said, adding, "I hated it. I hated how it made the fellas look. I hated how it made the women look. It felt so vacuous."

Now, Nikki Sixx has responded. The Crüe bassist and songwriter, who is set to hit the road with his band later this year on a big stadium tour, took to Twitter and wrote, "Made me laugh today reading how much the singer in Pearl Jam hated @MotleyCrue. Now considering that they're one of the most boring bands in history it's kind of a compliment isn't it?"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,659
    All of this back and forth is amusing considering Sixx reportedly wanted to recruit EdVed to replace Vince back in 94 when they ended up going with Corabi.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited February 2022
    I don't wanna see any Vince Neil bashing on this message board.

This is a charming performance (Same Awards Show where PJ played Jeremy and Nirvana played Lithium and mocked Axl):

https://youtu.be/BrskcZK5qNU
    ^Steve Stevens rocks.
  • Well if I was a guy in The Crue and someone said that I'd not be saying anything nice about his music.

Thank FSM for both bands, I loved each of their first five albums as much as any out there.
    Well if I was a guy in The Crue and someone said that I'd not be saying anything nice about his music.

Thank FSM for both bands, I loved each of their first five albums as much as any out there.
    Yep.
    I'm a fan of both bands.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited February 2022
    it really doesn’t bug me if the guy from Motley Crue or
    Mr. Waters or any other old rock stars insult Ed.   Not a Crue fan.  I like Pink Floyd but it still doesn’t bug me.  

We see enough insults here from regular posters :lol:
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Poncier said:
    ^Steve Stevens rocks.
    He plays on:

• Their music didn’t age well. I get Ed’s point. No offence to their fans but he isn’t wrong.  He may have said the same thing more tactfully though 

In a certain time and place they were very popular, no denying that. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    SIxx has obviously never been to a Pearl Jam show.  If he had, I doubt he would make such a stupid comment.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Love it. We're long overdue for a West Coast vs. West Coast rock battle. 
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    KV4053 said:
    Love it. We're long overdue for a West Coast vs. West Coast rock battle. 

Time for a poll!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Their music didn’t age well. I get Ed’s point. No offence to their fans but he isn’t wrong.  He may have said the same thing more tactfully though 

Your opinion....I think a lot of it still kicks ass.  Wayyyyyyyyyy better than the most recent Pearl Jam record, if we want to debate aging. 

Buckle Up vs. On with The Show.
    :lol:
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I get what he's saying.  80s hair metal, and to an extend, 70's and 60's rock.   Legendary musicians lived lives of excess.  Drugs, women, etc... When the grunge movement hit... those  bands seemed a little different.  Many of them didn't do cliche rock star things.  So in a way I can see why he'd say PJ is boring.  They kind of shunned the classic rock star tropes, and did their own thing.

On the flip side I don't think that impacted their ability to make music or put on a helluva show.  You just wouldn't have much to gossip about.

I still like to spin some motley crue.  Personally I do have a soft spot for 80s hair metal. Thoroughly been enjoying the show peacemaker and how much is uses 80s hair metal music in the soundtrack :)
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    Let's find common ground...lets all marry super models, count our money and call it a day!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Zod said:
    I get what he's saying.  80s hair metal, and to an extend, 70's and 60's rock.   Legendary musicians lived lives of excess.  Drugs, women, etc... When the grunge movement hit... those  bands seemed a little different.  Many of them didn't do cliche rock star things.  So in a way I can see why he'd say PJ is boring.  They kind of shunned the classic rock star tropes, and did their own thing.

On the flip side I don't think that impacted their ability to make music or put on a helluva show.  You just wouldn't have much to gossip about.

I still like to spin some motley crue.  Personally I do have a soft spot for 80s hair metal. Thoroughly been enjoying the show peacemaker and how much is uses 80s hair metal music in the soundtrack :)
    That’s better put than how I said it 

The 90’s music scene to me was a deliberate move away from that hair band vibe.  So them not seeing eye to eye is expected.  

PJ has an issue with the excess and the lyrics about women. They think PJ is boring probably because they are not singing about the rock and roll lifestyle.  Not surprising 
  • I like both bands. This type of bashing another band just seems like a real waste of energy. Pointless. There is so much bullshit in the world we don't need to create more.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Zod said:

That’s better put than how I said it 

The 90’s music scene to me was a deliberate move away from that hair band vibe.  So them not seeing eye to eye is expected.  

PJ has an issue with the excess and the lyrics about women. They think PJ is boring probably because they are not singing about the rock and roll lifestyle.  Not surprising 
    I think because they heard some songs from No Code etc. 

Wasn’t the self titled Motley album from 1994 heavier and somewhat ”grunge” inspired?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    Zod said:

I On the flip side I don't think that impacted their ability to make music or put on a helluva show.  You just wouldn't have much to gossip about.

You just mentioned the entire plot of that Mark Wahlberg movie Rock Star  :)
    Their music didn’t age well. I get Ed’s point. No offence to their fans but he isn’t wrong.  He may have said the same thing more tactfully though 

Has Ed heard all their music or just a few radio hits? Sure you can call Girls Girls Girls vacuous, it's a song about strip joints.
    But not every Motley song is that way. Sixx has also written some heavy lyrics stemming from his upbringing (which has some striking similarities to EV's as it pertains to his father) and his near death experience etc.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    Mr. Waters or any other old rock stars insult Ed.   Not a Crue fan.  I like Pink Floyd but it still doesn’t bug me.  

Roger Waters loves Eddie
    I miss igotid88
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    We’ve heard Eddie and Chris and Kurt say this about “hair bands” before but never singling out Motley Crue. Eddie did say he liked Guns and Roses though….
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • igotid88 said:

Roger Waters loves Eddie
    He didn't like not getting support from Eddie
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,179
    Band feuds 🤣🤣🤣 can’t wait to hear Vince Neil’s response after he gets 20 bud lites in him should be classic!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    Noload said:
    Let's find common ground...lets all marry super models, count our money and call it a day!
    Common ground is Matt Cameron playing drums while twirling above the crowd in a steel cage. 
  • We’ve heard Eddie and Chris and Kurt say this about “hair bands” before but never singling out Motley Crue. Eddie did say he liked Guns and Roses though….
    He said they "..at least had some teeth" or something. Didn't really say he "liked" them (?). 

They are all friendly with Duff, are they not? So I guess shitting on Guns is a bit less likely. 

And yes, Chinese Democracy is a very underrated album.
  • Noload said:
    Common ground is Matt Cameron playing drums while twirling above the crowd in a steel cage. 
    Was it lasers or a "tittie cam" that Pearl Jam used on the 2006 tour but quickly dropped?
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,696
    My wife loves hair metal and listens to Hair Nation on XM. When I am driving with her and a particularly bad song, for example pretty much any song by Poison, Slaughter, Brittany Fox or most other of the Aqua Net task force comes on, I will make it a point to tell her that grunge didn’t kill off hair metal, shitty songs like those did. She just gives me the look.