Nikki Sixx: Pearl Jam is "one of the most boring bands in history"

Comments

• 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Boom actually recorded parts of an album with them, as did Josh. Try again.
  • 3days said:
    Parts on an album. Yes. So? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Also, why is Eddie daddy-dancing on stage sometimes?

WHY CAN'T HE LET THE MUSIC SPEAK FOR ITSELF?

ALWAYS GETTING IN THE WAY OF THE MUSIC.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    You seem upset. I think you're missing the point. Whatever "Daddy Dancing" is, he doesn't need to do it for the audience to be entertained. He performs on a stool at times. He also doesn't need scantily clad dancers, pyrotechnics, and video graphics. Crue requires those things for their live show to work.If PJ is indeed boring, what does that say about the Motley fellas?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Also, why is Eddie daddy-dancing on stage sometimes?

Daddy Dancing? LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    mfc2006 said:

Daddy Dancing? LOL
    dad dancing GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Happy Fa Cup GIF by BBC
    www.cluthelee.com
    mfc2006 said:

Daddy Dancing? LOL
    dad dancing GIF
    HAHA
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,111
    edited February 2022
    3days said:
    You seem upset. I think you're missing the point. Whatever "Daddy Dancing" is, he doesn't need to do it for the audience to be entertained. He performs on a stool at times. He also doesn't need scantily clad dancers, pyrotechnics, and video graphics. Crue requires those things for their live show to work.If PJ is indeed boring, what does that say about the Motley fellas?
    Your logic is flawed, you assume that Pearl Jam's show "work". 

But according to Nikki, if he is referring to Pearl Jam's live show (who knows) -- it doesn't work. And by that, it doesn't say anything about them fellas. Because they offer a fun evening with visuals, dancing, confetti, drum tricks. That works. A great stage show that gives, in the words of Paul Stanley, thrills in the night. While Pearl Jam does not. They are are boring. Maybe because of the lack of e.g. dancers.
    3days said:
    They are actual musicians, collaborating with the band. They aren't stage gimmicks, and their function isn't to cover up bad vocals. They actually recorded songs with the band, and are often recreating those songs live.
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,111
    edited February 2022
    3days said:
    3days said:
    They are actual musicians, collaborating with the band. They aren't stage gimmicks, and their function isn't to cover up bad vocals. They actually recorded songs with the band, and are often recreating those songs live.
    You are setting up arbitrary rules to support your flawed logic.

The Genesis had blast processing. What does that say about the Super Nintendo?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    3days said:
    Your logic is flawed, you assume that Pearl Jam's show "work". 

But according to Nikki, if he is referring to Pearl Jam's live show (who knows) -- it doesn't work. And by that, it doesn't say anything about them fellas. Because they offer a fun evening with visuals, dancing, confetti, drum tricks. That works. A great stage show that gives, in the words of Paul Stanley, thrills in the night. While Pearl Jam does not. They are are boring. Maybe because of the lack of e.g. dancers.
    I'm sorry if I offended you. You're right, Motley Crue is truly the less boring act. My logic was very flawed. I've been missing out this whole time. 
  • :rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    edited February 2022
    NM70698 said:
    I can’t back Eddie on this one.  He could have made his point without name-checking Motley Crue.  He got on his high horse about supporting women and not objectifying them, then fired an unprovoked shot at Motley just to pump himself up.  I found it off putting, but then adding the comment about Guns N Roses was ridiculous.  I guess he wanted to make sure Duff didn’t take offense at his remarks, but it makes you wonder if Ed ever even owned Appetite for Destruction.  The GNR lyrics are way, WAY more misogynistic and objectifying of women than anything Motley Crue ever put out.
    Yeah I feel the same way. Here's Eddie's quote....

"I’d end up being at shows that I wouldn’t have chosen to go to — bands that monopolized late-’80s MTV. The metal bands that — I’m trying to be nice — I despised. “Girls, Girls, Girls” and Mötley Crüe: [expletive] you. I hated it. I hated how it made the fellas look. I hated how it made the women look. It felt so vacuous. Guns N’ Roses came out and, thank God, at least had some teeth."

He could've just said "metal bands that I wasn't really into" rather than saying "despised." 

And when he says he hated how it made the women look, he sounds like some lame feminist, as well as pretty judgmental. I'm sure the women in those videos and at those shows were all about it, misogyny and all. I bet if you told the women that were dancing in the Girls Girls Girls video that Eddie Vedder (or anybody) hated the way the video made them look, they'd probably respond "It made me look hot" or something to that effect. 

There's a video that I saw on YouTube years ago that I can't find now (maybe it's not there anymore), but it would've fit this topic. It was an MTV News segment on a mid-90's Crue concert. During the show, a girl sitting on a guy's shoulders whips out her tits. Tommy Lee points her out and says in his microphone "Well you don't see THAT at a Pearl Jam concert!" 

Well Tommy, I have, in fact, seen tits at a Pearl Jam concert. And Eddie proceeded to insult her "mosquito bites" [name calling deleted. See the Posting Guidelines]
    Post edited by Sea on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 3days said:

. I've been missing out this whole time. 
    No. Don't go watch that sexist trash.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    3days said:

Are you day drinking again?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    3days said:
    I liked Motley Crue when I was 12 or 13. I have no problem with people liking or disliking Nikki Sixx and co. I do, however, think it's a little weird for him to refer to PJ as "one of the most boring bands in history". I get that he was lashing out after taking a shot, but it didn't really land. If PJ is boring, what does it say about The Crue? 

Even at their peak, Motley Crue weren't always able to sell out arenas. They mostly did the same setlists every night, using a backing track. I don't recall any of their music videos being widely celebrated. I don't remember any of their individual projects getting much traction. They use backup vocalists to hit notes that Vince simply cannot. For the past few decades, they've had to book co-headlining gigs in order to sell tickets. They need dancers to enhance their live shows. 

- Would Pearl Jam play that much bigger places around the world than Mötley Crüe? If we remove the US bias? And what has that to do with being boring or not? Does Neil Young or NIN play stadiums?

-Most bands do the same setlist. Many beloved and highly enteratining. I know a band who does the same Alive/RITFW/YL last encore at every show.

-They had videos banned on MTV and videos that was played a lot. What Pearl Jam videos have been celebrated or shown more than Mötleys? Are you talking about jeremy winning a MTV award? What has that to do with boring?

-What Pearl Jam individual projects has gotten any traction? What has this to do with being boring?

-Many bands use backup vocalists or some form of backing tape. I don't see what that has to do with boring?

-Many bands co-headline. Wasn't Pearl Jam planning on doing it with Foo Fighters a couple years back? What has that to doo with being boring?

You say you liked Mötley when you were 12 or 13. You are still talking about bands like you are that age. Hopefully we won't get into a debate about Sega VS Nintendo or Jason vs Michael Myers.
    I think the Foos tour was a fan made up thing. 
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10 said:
    3days said:

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    mcgruff10 said:
    3days said:

:rofl:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    It’s almost like Nikki’s mom got a ten club account. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mcgruff10 said:
    3days said:

That s what I figured.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    demetrios said:
    that was fucking hysterical, D. thanks for the laugh. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm  sorry what,

poopy butt, round the house. 

OH MY GOD I'M DYING. thank you, Ed, for insulting the crue and resulting in this amazing thread. hahahaha

www.headstonesband.com

• Motley Crue Band GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    mrussel1 said:
    Cmon. This is fun as hell.  Finally twitter is good for something.
    absolutely. been a while since Ed's rant in Times Square at Marky Mark and the Madonna Bunch. 

www.headstonesband.com

Hobbes said:
    I think I need to get back on Twitter. holy shit. when the iron sheik weighs in.....

www.headstonesband.com

edited February 2022
    NM70698 said:
    I can’t back Eddie on this one.  He could have made his point without name-checking Motley Crue.  He got on his high horse about supporting women and not objectifying them, then fired an unprovoked shot at Motley just to pump himself up.  I found it off putting, but then adding the comment about Guns N Roses was ridiculous.  I guess he wanted to make sure Duff didn’t take offense at his remarks, but it makes you wonder if Ed ever even owned Appetite for Destruction.  The GNR lyrics are way, WAY more misogynistic and objectifying of women than anything Motley Crue ever put out.
    Yeah I feel the same way. Here's Eddie's quote....

"I’d end up being at shows that I wouldn’t have chosen to go to — bands that monopolized late-’80s MTV. The metal bands that — I’m trying to be nice — I despised. “Girls, Girls, Girls” and Mötley Crüe: [expletive] you. I hated it. I hated how it made the fellas look. I hated how it made the women look. It felt so vacuous. Guns N’ Roses came out and, thank God, at least had some teeth."

He could've just said "metal bands that I wasn't really into" rather than saying "despised." 

And when he says he hated how it made the women look, he sounds like some lame feminist, as well as pretty judgmental. I'm sure the women in those videos and at those shows were all about it, misogyny and all. I bet if you told the women that were dancing in the Girls Girls Girls video that Eddie Vedder (or anybody) hated the way the video made them look, they'd probably respond "It made me look hot" or something to that effect. 

There's a video that I saw on YouTube years ago that I can't find now (maybe it's not there anymore), but it would've fit this topic. It was an MTV News segment on a mid-90's Crue concert. During the show, a girl sitting on a guy's shoulders whips out her tits. Tommy Lee points her out and says in his microphone "Well you don't see THAT at a Pearl Jam concert!" 

Well Tommy, I have, in fact, seen tits at a Pearl Jam concert. And Eddie proceeded to insult her "mosquito bites"
    he was shaming her for degrading herself (and maybe insulted?). Do I agree with it? No, but it's not like he was just laughing at the size. I think there was a purpose to it, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't embarrassed after the fact for how he handled it. 
    Post edited by Sea on

www.headstonesband.com

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Hobbes said:
    I think I need to get back on Twitter. holy shit. when the iron sheik weighs in.....
    its the same tweet, just change nouns

hes good though

Big Mac $1.03

=) 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com