Nikki Sixx: Pearl Jam is "one of the most boring bands in history"

Comments

• Band feuds 🤣🤣🤣 can’t wait to hear Vince Neil’s response after he gets 20 bud lites in him should be classic!
    Ha.  
    This.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • My wife loves hair metal and listens to Hair Nation on XM. When I am driving with her and a particularly bad song, for example pretty much any song by Poison, Slaughter, Brittany Fox or most other of the Aqua Net task force comes on, I will make it a point to tell her that grunge didn’t kill off hair metal, shitty songs like those did. She just gives me the look. 
    Vinnie Vincent also hate Slaughter
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    While I agree with Ed, he did invite that response from Motley Crue.  But a good band feud once in awhile is very rock n roll. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Band feuds 🤣🤣🤣 can’t wait to hear Vince Neil’s response after he gets 20 bud lites in him should be classic!
    https://youtu.be/EWDWLOnbrn8
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    Are the members of Good Charlotte on Twitter? I'd like to hear a response about Ed ripping them back in the day.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited February 2022
    RP112579 said:
    Are the members of Good Charlotte on Twitter? I'd like to hear a response about Ed ripping them back in the day.
    They did respond. 

Try to keep up with the feuding. 
  • Poncier said:
    Their music didn’t age well. I get Ed’s point. No offence to their fans but he isn’t wrong.  He may have said the same thing more tactfully though 

In a certain time and place they were very popular, no denying that. 
    Has Ed heard all their music or just a few radio hits? Sure you can call Girls Girls Girls vacuous, it's a song about strip joints.
    But not every Motley song is that way. Sixx has also written some heavy lyrics stemming from his upbringing (which has some striking similarities to EV's as it pertains to his father) and his near death experience etc.
    I’m guessing probably not. Right or wrong I’m sure girls girls girls is the image a lot of people have

i didn’t know that either and I had an album or two of theirs in high school.  

I’m also not saying it’s fair to hold someone accountable for lyrics or a lifestyle today when it’s not as socially acceptable as it was at the time.  That happens all the time and I don’t think it’s fair.  

Not aging well was what I meant. It seems worse today than it did at the time. Someone making a comment 30 years later about something that clearly wasn’t an issue then or he would have said it then. 

Hopefully that makes sense 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Motley Crue is another on the long list of bands that was able to reschedule their 2020 shows. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited February 2022
    Poncier said:
    Their music didn’t age well. I get Ed’s point. No offence to their fans but he isn’t wrong.  He may have said the same thing more tactfully though 

Has Ed heard all their music or just a few radio hits? Sure you can call Girls Girls Girls vacuous, it's a song about strip joints.
    But not every Motley song is that way. Sixx has also written some heavy lyrics stemming from his upbringing (which has some striking similarities to EV's as it pertains to his father) and his near death experience etc.
    I’m guessing probably not. Right or wrong I’m sure girls girls girls is the image a lot of people have

I’m also not saying it’s fair to hold someone accountable for lyrics or a lifestyle today when it’s not as socially acceptable as it was at the time.  That happens all the time and I don’t think it’s fair.  

Not aging well was what I meant. It seems worse today than it did at the time. Someone making a comment 30 years later about something that clearly wasn’t an issue then or he would have said it then. 

”It” was sn issue back then

During an interview with LGBTQ+ publication The Advocate in 1993, Cobain discussed an encounter he had with a fan who pleaded with him to work things out with Guns ‘N’ Roses as they were their two favourite groups. “No, kid, you’re really wrong,” the Nirvana man recalled before adding, “Those people are total sexist jerks, and the reason we’re playing this show is to fight homophobia in a [really] small way. The guy is a fucking sexist and a racist and a homophobe, and you can’t be on his side and be on our side.” It was a stance that Nirvana took on many different groups, including Led Zeppelin.
  • The 90s grunge bands and Seattle wiped the 80s hair bands off being reverent. They were done after Seattle took over and never came back. The big hair bands and girls on car hoods was embarrassing back then and still is today. Not everyone’s cup of tea. Really Ed’s fault for naming names. Should of said he didn’t relate to 80s hair bands. 
  • Even the beastie boys were able to acknowledge that maybe some of their songs weren’t appropriate towards women. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    Even the beastie boys were able to acknowledge that maybe some of their songs weren’t appropriate towards women. 
    Exactly and what makes me crazy is they got crap for being hypocrites.  That’s one of my all time favourite quotes “I’d rather be a hypocrite than the same person forever.”

their lyrics were bad then but not nearly as bad as the lens of time makes it look. People said a lot in the 80’s they wouldn’t today. They owned it though and I’d rather they do that 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    Poncier said:

What was the cut off date for Ed to share his opinion of Girls Girls Girls? 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,768
    I could be wrong but I don't remember Eddie or any of Pearl Jam clapping back at other artists who dissed their band. 
    I miss igotid88
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Motley Crue is horrible. If someone in that band thinks you’re boring it’s a compliment. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    That dude is a douche. He made some real disparaging comments about REM back in the day. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    I think he's mad because he missed dirty frank.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Loujoe said:
    Haha! I think he’s bitter because the Crue were always a shitty Guns N Roses cover band. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Loujoe said:
    Haha! I think he’s bitter because the Crue were always a shitty Guns N Roses cover band. 
    How is this possible timeline wise  :dog:
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,696
    That dude is a douche. He made some real disparaging comments about REM back in the day. 
    He made disparaging comments about R.E.M.!?!? F that dude then!! Nobody messes with Michael and the boys! 
  • He approved a pearl jam reference in The Dirt Netflix movie. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
     I liked motley crue up to shout at the devil. Now I like pj.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,659
    Loujoe said:
    Crue predates Guns by 6 years.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    ComeToTX said:
    Motley Crue is horrible. If someone in that band thinks you’re boring it’s a compliment. 
    My thought is that Pearl Jam would seem boring to a band that had to light their pants on fire, have go go dancers on stage and have a rotating drum kit just to keep their fans entertained at their shows. The music sure wasn’t doing it. 
  • Poncier said:
    Loujoe said:
    Crue predates Guns by 6 years.

Guns former manager:

“‘Dr. Feelgood,’ the Motley Crue song, that’s a Guns N’ Roses song. Slash and Duff [McKagan] wrote that riff. They wrote it down in Redondo Beach, when I was with them.

“[Guns N’ Roses] were rehearsing, and Steven [Adler] would come down once a week, and Duff would come down five days a week, and they were jamming and they came up with that riff.

“Nikki [Sixx] is famous for taking a recorder to a club and stealing songs from bands, [they got it] because they recorded the recorded before we did.”

@Sea fix the sub-par quote function on this message board. 

edited February 2022
    JeBurkhardt said:

The music sure wasn’t doing it. 
    Pretty sure songs like Kickstart my Heart, Dr Feelgood, Shout at the Devil etc do that. 

Eddie needs a specially constructed lamp to ride on during Porch. And lets nor forget the stack of tamburins to keep the crowd entertained. 

Have some perspective 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    JeBurkhardt said:

The music sure wasn’t doing it. 
    Pretty sure songs like Kickstart my Heart, Dr Feelgood, Shout at the Devil etc does that. 
    When I saw them there were a couple of songs that did stand out on their own, but for the most part it if not for the “show” it would have been just another rock band playing on a stage. To each their own I guess. 🤷‍♂️
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Very excited to announce my new podcast. Based on the classic podcast “Analyze Phish”, “Pearls Before Swine” will feature yours truly trying to convince my cohost Nikki Sixx that Pearl Jam is NOT boring and in fact is good and he should like them. I will do this by playing him a combination of deep album cuts and bootleg tracks started in the middle of the song. We will have thousands of one star reviews, with furious all-caps comments about how I’m a moron for choosing the wrong version of Unthought Known. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,628
    Ed’s right. MC was sexist and gross. It’s embarrassing. PJ was the antithesis of that. That’s why they are better. Just better people.