Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    yeah, I didn't like Earthlings either. rarely listen to it. only when I want to "give it another shot". 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Besides Earthlings being not good imo, they way it sounded drove me nuts. Awful 
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I'm the complete opposite on Earthling. I love the way it sounds and I love the songs. I would also guess that a Pearl Jam record produced by Andrew Watt would not sound like that, it would sound more like a Pearl Jam record. For Earthling, they were trying to make a solo record for Ed. That's a very different sound approach to a Pearl Jam record. I don't expect this new PJ record to just sound like Earthling with the rest of the guys.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    I JUST HOPE THAT STONE IS BRINGING THE RIFFS
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    Seriously. Him only having 1 on the last album is crazy. That one being buckle up is even crazier and actually depressing. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Loved the Earthling album. Liked the loudness.  The songs were great. 
    I miss igotid88
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    pdalowsky said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I guess im one of the few that isn’t excited about watt producing. I hate the way the earthlings album sounds. Cool that he’s a big fan but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I just hope it’s better than gigaton because I could just never get into that album and the few songs I see live absolutely killed the momentum of every show. Maybe besides whoever said. 
    I'm with you totally on Earthlings, that was the first album that Ed's been involved with that I have just not enjoyed at all. 
    This is how I feel too. Just too slick and adult contemporary for my taste. I guess one every 30 years ago still makes a solid track record.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,423
    Love Invincible. One of the best songs that has come out in awhile from anyone in the band and wish it was a PJ song to be honest. The rest of the album really does not have any standouts that I have any interest in going back to. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    Earthling
    95% google users like it
    Metascore 79
    Mostly more than positive reviews

leave it to this place  =)

Are we saying we dont like it cause Into the wild was so great and its vastly different? 

I too love ITW a ton more, but I can see a solid album
    CROJAM95 said:
    Earthling
    95% google users like it
    Metascore 79

Are we saying we dont like it cause Into the wild was so great and its vastly different? 

I'm saying I listened to it, didn't really like it, and didn't listen to it again 
    I'm not terribly familiar with Andrew Watt but I say let's bring in Ross Robinson and get weird
    CROJAM95 said:
    Earthling
    95% google users like it
    Metascore 79

"leave it to this place"?

no, it just didn't grab me. I love both ITW and US but Earthlings felt to me like he was trying to write a Who record and fell flat doing it. 

www.headstonesband.com

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    i handicap my expectations

nothing will come out better than ITW

Nothing will come out better than Ten thru Yield ( 1st 5 albums)......Take it from there.
    no one said anything about comparing. I just don't like the style. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,502
    Earthlings really grew on me.  I was meh on the first listen or two, then I played it a bunch leading up to the Seattle shows last year, and it grew on me quickly.   I like it more than the last couple of PJ releases for sure.

It's not Into the Wild, but it's pretty good in it's own way :)
    Zod said:
    Earthlings really grew on me.  I was meh on the first listen or two, then I played it a bunch leading up to the Seattle shows last year, and it grew on me quickly.   I like it more than the last couple of PJ releases for sure.

It's not Into the Wild, but it's pretty good in it's own way :)
    I think sometimes seeing the songs live makes a difference. Wish I had gotten to an Earthlings show. 

if I compared any of PJ's output to Ten-> Yield, I wouldn't like BS and LB as much as I do. compartmentalize. contextualize. Appreciate each artistic expression as its individual piece. 

www.headstonesband.com

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    CROJAM95 said:
    Earthling
    95% google users like it
    Metascore 79

Im really not going even as deep as that, I played it, found it boring, and really tried over a few weeks to like it, and ended up liking it less. 

Invincible was the standout for me, but those opening lines made me cringe every damn time
  • From my limited perspective of being an "OG Pearl jam fan" of falling in love with the band when I was a kid watching Jeremy on Much Music (Canadian MTV haha), I can tell you - and it's no surprise from the many fans that have agreed with me over the years - that the run of albums from Ten to Yield is near perfect and will never be beaten. The fact that this period of records coincides with with my peak pearl jam fandom (even though I was too young to attend shows haha) makes all the albums after it impossible to match expectations. That's my problem, not Pearl Jam's, and i'm always ready for them to prove me wrong. I absolutely LOVE a number of songs post yield, and i'm always excited for a new album. Hell I think Gigaton is the best record since yield, so i'm always amazed that this band can still bring it after all these years. The fact that Gigaton was solid makes me excited for the next one :) 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• js87130js87130 Posts: 89
    nicknyr15 said:
    I guess im one of the few that isn’t excited about watt producing. I hate the way the earthlings album sounds. Cool that he’s a big fan but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I just hope it’s better than gigaton because I could just never get into that album and the few songs I see live absolutely killed the momentum of every show. Maybe besides whoever said. 
    I'm with you.  I'm not terribly excited about Watt producing.  I thought Earthling was ok.  I'm also not a fan of Watt's credits for producing pop albums.  Most of all I don't like that fact that he is a big Pearl Jam fan and one that is so much younger.  Will he have the ability to be honest with them if what they are doing stinks?  
    At the same time, it is tough to say whether or not the Producer matters that much.  Sometimes it does.  Some producers are very hands on, like when George Martin suggested that Paul use strings on Yesterday.  Some are very hands off, like Steve Albini who thinks the producer should really not interfere with the artist at all.  Yet both have produced amazing records.
    At the end of the day I think it's pretty much up to the band.  I hope they have a late career gem in their back pocket on this one.  I'm excited for it as always.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    While I'd be fine with more Gigaton-esque tracks in a followup album, there are a few on Earthling that I wouldn't mind inspiring a new PJ album (Good and Evil, Invincible, Brother the Cloud).

That also being said, if a Watt album immediately pushes Gigaton out of the live setlist rotation I might be against it. :bawling:
    tschav said:
    While I'd be fine with more Gigaton-esque tracks in a followup album, there are a few on Earthling that I wouldn't mind inspiring a new PJ album (Good and Evil, Invincible, Brother the Cloud).

That also being said, if a Watt album immediately pushes Gigaton out of the live setlist rotation I might be against it. :bawling:
    Im with you, not had the chance to see enough gigaton live yet
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    I can’t wait to hear where they’ll take things next. I do hope they keep Josh Evans attached somehow. I LOVE Gigaton. As in I listen to it routinely in some form or fashion. The whole thing from start to finish is among their best. (Just my .02)

I also really love Earthling. EV seemed so comfortable exploring some of those different musical styles. Very grateful to have it. 

I think if the band is excited about where things are going… That’s what really matters. If Earthlings is any indication of AW… I think it’s a great sign. I reach for a number of those tracks on the reg. Damn good writing and production on the whole thing.

I find myself grateful that these guys still care about their craft. Everyone’s got their own opinion… This is just mine.
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    I’m just excited that almost 33 years in, they’re still motivated artistically and still together creating music. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    DM282158 said:
    I’m just excited that almost 33 years in, they’re still motivated artistically and still together creating music. 
    That is exactly how I feel. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    nicknyr15 said:
    Seriously. Him only having 1 on the last album is crazy. That one being buckle up is even crazier and actually depressing. 
    Amen
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901
    DM282158 said:

I hear ya. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,852
    Gigaton and Earthling are both solid records. Good stuff on both IMO.  I think Earthling just has too many different styles of music from Power of Right to Mrs Mills to that song with Elton. It’s not cohesive but still some great tracks. invincible, brother the cloud and The dark are the standouts for me 
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 891
    I wasn't a fan of the songs with guests on Earthling. Not that Ed would give a toss he's recording songs with his idols and some of the absolute GOATs. Awesome on paper just didn't do it for me. Side A kicks arse though.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,076
    More than “good” or “bad”, I’d say that Earthling is “fun.” It’s fun to hear Eddie getting together with a mix of his buddies and his heroes to record a bunch of songs aping a variety of his favorite artists. There are a couple of songs I really like, and couple I can’t stand, and the rest are fine. It’s hard for me to imagine it being anyone’s favorite album, but I feel like you have to be a real sourpuss to hate it because it’s not Vitalogy or whatever. And even if you do hate it, I don’t see how you can really blame that on young Mr. Watt.

Also the shows were really fun.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    tdawe said:
    More than “good” or “bad”, I’d say that Earthling is “fun.” It’s fun to hear Eddie getting together with a mix of his buddies and his heroes to record a bunch of songs aping a variety of his favorite artists. There are a couple of songs I really like, and couple I can’t stand, and the rest are fine. It’s hard for me to imagine it being anyone’s favorite album, but I feel like you have to be a real sourpuss to hate it because it’s not Vitalogy or whatever. And even if you do hate it, I don’t see how you can really blame that on young Mr. Watt.

Also the shows were really fun.
    You make some good points. Its not possible to hate anything these guys do, the connection is too strong and Eds voice is just gold. However, Earthlings i just found boring. Its ok as a middle of the road record but it was all a bit bland for me. Particularly the lead track - The Long Way, and even brother the cloud, however I think it would open EV up to a new audience and that is never a bad thing.