Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    JimmyV said:
    Trust no one but Mike. 
    But...Jeff did sound pretty convincing there. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    If after a year they are only “halfway”, with a member who isn’t even sure he likes the material they have, forget 2023, I’m not too confident we’re getting this in 2024 either.
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,061
    JimmyV said:
    Trust no one but Mike. 
    Didn’t Mike allude to some EP after Backspacer (or around that time)? That never saw the light of day
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    These guys typically give different answers during the recording process, so this is nothing new. It'll be out when it's done - I just think it's awesome that they're still writing & recording, to be honest.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    I sincerely hope people aren't hanging their hats on any of this, or pinning their happiness to the timing of a new album.  There is a HUGE world of undiscovered music to be uncovered for all of us.  Go find it. When they have new material ready to share, you'll know - promise.  Until then, please don't sit around waiting with bated breath.  As for me, I'm stoked about the two shows I'll see in later summer and that will be plenty of PJ for my '23.  Maybe next yr will bring some interesting news :)
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    we need a POPE Like announcement

Smoke to signal its finished 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    CROJAM95 said:
    we need a POPE Like announcement

Smoke to signal its finished 
    HAHA. at easy street records. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,106
    dwjmu84 said:
    I sincerely hope people aren't hanging on their hats on any of this, or pinning their happiness to the timing of a new album.  There is a HUGE world of undiscovered music to be uncovered for all of us.  Go find it. When they have new material ready to share, you'll know - promise.  Until then, please don't sit around waiting with bated breath.  As for me, I'm stoked about the two shows I'll see in later summer and that will be plenty of PJ for my '23.  Maybe next yr will bring some interesting news :)
    This person gets it 
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,106
    Unless you fell in love with this band due to Lightning Bolt or Gigaton, I wouldn’t worry too much about when a new album might be out. I’m sure a lot of people here are like me and fell in love with this music sometime between Ten and Yield or Binaural or Riot Act and have been here ever since. Chances are, you’re not going to love this new thing as much as your first love and like they said above, there’s plenty of stuff to listen to in the meantime. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,852
    KM73780 said:
    Unless you fell in love with this band due to Lightning Bolt or Gigaton, I wouldn’t worry too much about when a new album might be out. I’m sure a lot of people here are like me and fell in love with this music sometime between Ten and Yield or Binaural or Riot Act and have been here ever since. Chances are, you’re not going to love this new thing as much as your first love and like they said above, there’s plenty of stuff to listen to in the meantime. 
    Debbie downer 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    I suppose the positive is we’re at least talking about or speculating on an album timeline and new songs. Interesting that Jeff also alluded to the vinyl production. I gathered that even when the album is done the release will be delayed until the vinyl is ready to go. So say they finish by year’s end, it may be next spring or summer (US time) until it’s release. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    KM73780 said:
    I don’t love Ten or Yield as much as Vs., do we not need them? Some of us still like the new stuff.
    Also some of us are in areas they used to play every 2-4 years but haven’t played since 2013, even if I didn’t like the album (and I bet I will) it’s release increases the chances of a real tour I could go to.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,716
    Release the album when it’s done with vinyl to follow later. Pretty sure they used to do that, no? 
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,866
    Listening to any album repeatedly has a law of diminishing returns behind it.

Hearing a new song that could be subpar in the entire discography will be more interesting to my ears than hearing Ten/Vs for the umpteenth time.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2023
    I think its a really good idea for everyone to start setting expectations. 

I can’t believe their first single doesn’t sound like something off VS. Disappointed 
    First singles from Pearl Jam albums are often deliberately obtuse (e.g., "Who You Are," "Nothing As It Seems," "Dance of the Clairvoyants")-- songs that are not at all representative of the albums on which they appear-- so people would definitely be well-advised to take the first single with a grain of salt.

Incidentally, Deliberately Obtuse would be a great opening band for the upcoming tour.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Take with a grain of salt. Would also appreciate if this doesn’t get posted outside here. If it does, it will be the end of me posting info. #deadserious

from someone (not me) who has heard the album, they say it has vs. vibes. Now everyone might have a different definition of vs. vibes but that is what I was told. Recorded songs are old style pj. Album is finished but again, definition of finished can change from person to person
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 744
    Thanks for the update !
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,716
    Woah. Hope that’s true. Would love a step back to classic pj style.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,422
    Remember when people said Sirens was the next Black. That was fun. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    PJNB said:
    Both equally great 
    I miss igotid88
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    edited June 2023
    So Stone says the albums on the homes stretch, Jeff says it’s half done and he’s not sure what he thinks of it, Ed probably hasn’t even done vocals, Does Mike even know a records being made? 😉 these guys are the masters of telling us a whole lot of nothing and putting up smokescreens at every opportunity. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    PJNB said:
    Haha, was just about to post that
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,154
    edited June 2023
    Take with a grain of salt. Would also appreciate if this doesn’t get posted outside here. If it does, it will be the end of me posting info. #deadserious

from someone (not me) who has heard the album, they say it has vs. vibes. Now everyone might have a different definition of vs. vibes but that is what I was told. Recorded songs are old style pj. Album is finished but again, definition of finished can change from person to person
    BS. New album has Ten / Mother Love Bone vibes. Ah. 

P.S. Just a joke, of course. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 961
    Would be cool if they debut some new songs for the upcoming tour dates.   

Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,154
    I think JA knows the truth. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,438
    Thanks for the update! Can’t wait for whenever we get to hear some new tunes!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    Jeff sounded very candid, which is refreshing. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,398
    KM73780 said:
    Debbie downer 
    no shit...I wish I had some sleeping pills to OD on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,398
    Take with a grain of salt. Would also appreciate if this doesn’t get posted outside here. If it does, it will be the end of me posting info. #deadserious

if true this is great news...Watts might be the guy that had them focus on some straight up PJ rather than the evolved sound. I think they got into a pattern where they just get together long enough to slap something together and kind of ignore whether they can improve on it or not.

Not saying Gigaton, LB, etc., weren't good albums, definitely some good songs there, but the last three albums seemed like a "hey what do you guys have? let's get this over with" type of vibe.

My opinion
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    to me Lightning Bolt is their cut & paste album....just a bunch of songs thrown together to put out an album

lot of good ones, but some filler

Backspacer even though people shit on it, is a great , short listen that has a flow to it

Gigaton sounds great, very conceptual with the environment, also will evoke pandemic/isolation feeling

I think the next will be a throw back to VS/YIELD/AVOCADO.....Thats what im feeling, just a guess