Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    demetrios said:
    So here's the skinny.  Not all the songs are finished and there still might be more that need to be recorded.  Jeff isn't sure it is enough to be an album yet, although he is enjoying the creative direction the band has taken the past year and half.
    I don't think Stone misspoke when he said they are getting close to the finish line with all the work that has been completed.  But Jeff's assertion that recording will take longer is also correct since the band is taking the summer off.
    He hopes the album will come out next year (no surprise) and they penciled in some shows, especially in places they haven't been to in awhile.  
    It is also great to hear Jeff's passion for Pearl Jam.  I liked his idea of each member writing the top 10 things they would like to see Pearl Jam accomplish before they are done, whether types of songs they could write or different venues to play.
    Yeah I don't think he is as hyped as Stone seems to be on what they have recorded so far, seems to me like he thinks the band should be pushing themselves a bit harder. Since they have earned the right to do whatever they want, they shouldn't settle and should push themselves to another level.  He sounded a little bit frustrated to me, IMO.

He said in a week they were shutting down for the summer, but in September after the tour they would start up again and the same questions he has now will still be there.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,157
    Crazy for me to say, but if a new Pearl Jam album dropped today I don't know that I'd rush to download it.  Half of Gigaton was great but the bad half sours the album for me.
    I'd still rush to hear new material, but otherwise I agree with you. Gigaton felt like half a great album, or 2/3 of a good album. I think the opening 4 tracks are solid, but then the wheels fall off a bit.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited July 2023
    3days said:
    Crazy for me to say, but if a new Pearl Jam album dropped today I don't know that I'd rush to download it.  Half of Gigaton was great but the bad half sours the album for me.
    I'd still rush to hear new material, but otherwise I agree with you. Gigaton felt like half a great album, or 2/3 of a good album. I think the opening 4 tracks are solid, but then the wheels fall off a bit.
    To me it's weirdly sequenced to. It starts of great and high energy, and then just at the halfway point BAM starts with slower songs and drags till the end.

But the first few songs are really good. Eddie globetrotting etc. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    3days said:
    Love the ending though :)
  • PrawnstarPrawnstar Posts: 18
    edited July 2023
    3days said:
    To me it's weirdly sequenced to. It starts of great and high energy, and then just at the halfway point BAM starts with slower songs and drags till the end.

But the first few songs are really good. Eddie globetrotting etc. 
    Agree with both of you. After seeing what he did on Earthling, I'm massively excited for the Andrew Watt-produced PJ album.

I'm hoping he had something to do with the Earthling song arrangements for the likes of Brother, The Cloud, The Dark, Picture etc as it was reminiscent of early era Pearl Jam. 

That said, I've liked Pearl Jam throughout, but I think there's been 3-5 good songs before a big drop on every album since Avocado. Plus I think it's time to inject some new Rearviewmirrors et al into the set list. 
    Post edited by Prawnstar on
    Why do I love Pearl Jam? The answer is here
  • JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232

PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,404
    Yes, please.

www.myspace.com
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,866
    Joostone said:
    Neil probably reads the forums
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681

verceman said:

www.myspace.com
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    verceman said:

Double down? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    Hard and heavy is ok with me. No more just breathes and buckle ups thank you and please
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,404
    Hard and heavy is ok with me. No more just breathes and buckle ups thank you and please
    yep...save them for solo albums, give me loud and dirty
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    yep...save them for solo albums, give me loud and dirty
    They've always had a mixture 
    I miss igotid88
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,906
    Joostone said:

Neil probably reads the forums
    He probably does. It would be so amazing if they ever got back together and played a show or two again.
  • As someone hinted the new album might/will sound like vs, I somehow hope it won’t. And this coming from someone who loves vs and has loved PJ ever since 91.

But the singing has changed and wouldn’t be able to live up to that sound anymore. I even think the last time Ed‘s voice really rocked was on Avocado. His voice has naturally transitioned with age. He truly still shines in mid tempo and slow songs. I consider ‘alright’ as a good example where his aged voice is really strong. 

But the fiery tension in his voice that made ‘animal’ or much later for example ‘save you’ standout, isn’t there anymore. And that’s ok. 

I would love an album with lots of mood and have Ed’s ‘weathered’ voice sound like a late Cash here and there. 

…in the end, let them have fun! I will look forward to a new album anyways. I am happy they are still alive and want to make music together! This in itself is amazing!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Sonic-Man said:
    As someone hinted the new album might/will sound like vs, I somehow hope it won’t. And this coming from someone who loves vs and has loved PJ ever since 91.

But the singing has changed and wouldn’t be able to live up to that sound anymore. I even think the last time Ed‘s voice really rocked was on Avocado. His voice has naturally transitioned with age. He truly still shines in mid tempo and slow songs. I consider ‘alright’ as a good example where his aged voice is really strong. 

But the fiery tension in his voice that made ‘animal’ or much later for example ‘save you’ standout, isn’t there anymore. And that’s ok. 

I would love an album with lots of mood and have Ed’s ‘weathered’ voice sound like a late Cash here and there. 

…in the end, let them have fun! I will look forward to a new album anyways. I am happy they are still alive and want to make music together! This in itself is amazing!
    I don't know if he can still sing like the early 90s. But I believe he started taking lessons and chose this way of singing. I guess we can look to songs like Power of Right and Good and Evil from Earthling to get a sense of how the rockers on the new album will sound voice wise
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Sonic-Man said:
    As someone hinted the new album might/will sound like vs, I somehow hope it won’t. And this coming from someone who loves vs and has loved PJ ever since 91.

I don't know if he can still sing like the early 90s. But I believe he started taking lessons and chose this way of singing. I guess we can look to songs like Power of Right and Good and Evil from Earthling to get a sense of how the rockers on the new album will sound voice wise
    Yeah, good examples to my point. It’s not bad singing at all. But for a voice that was straight and pure (with some punk and honest desperation in it) back then in fast paced songs (Lukin!), these songs now have a touch of ‘musical’ (for a lack of better word) singing to it. 
    Both songs leave me cold, honestly. 
    As a singer myself, I know it’s a fine line between “this feels fine and is technically better than that“ to it doesn’t emotionally hit as hard as it did. 
    With age come different strengths. All I am saying is, I hope it shows on the next album.!I liked Gigaton much more than LB, for example.
  • I'm all for mood. Give me a Binaural and Riot Act blanket of atmosphere
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,982
    I'm all for mood. Give me a Binaural and Riot Act blanket of atmosphere
    Hell yes. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,270
    I just wish Ed would stop over enunciating. 
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,866
    I just want more creative output and to ditch the 1 album every 7 years, legacy band persona.

Release some shit, release some gems, release some forgettable material,  but at least keep the creative engine turning.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    Yes to both
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I just wish Ed would stop over enunciating. 
    Yep 👍🏼 
    Yes to both
    I concur and would add a No Codey mood wish as well....though I don't believe the drummer can pull that off unfortunately.
    www.myspace.com
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2023
    I haven't really had much problem with his singing on the albums. I think it's easier to nail a vocal in the studio, where you get repeated takes and you're not singing for two straight hours over a crowd. I've never noticed the affectation I described above on the studio tracks.

EDIT: I didn't discuss the "affectation" in this thread; it's in the thread about Ed's singing. My bad.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • I just wish Ed would stop over enunciating. 
    That's gonna be hard to do.  I believe he's bound out of ob-uh-luh-ga-shun to continue. (ha)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,906
    If you listen to the latest SiriusXM special ..  The Writer's Block with David Fricke, Stone Gossard & Regan Hagar SiriusXM Spectrum August 17th 2023.

62 mark .. Stone - "We are almost finished with the record. It's not quite finished yet. But it's almost there & we had a great time."

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited August 2023
    Jeff’s about to be pissed
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,329
    I just want more creative output and to ditch the 1 album every 7 years, legacy band persona.

Release some shit, release some gems, release some forgettable material,  but at least keep the creative engine turning.
    agreed!  even McCartney is putting something new out more frequently than PJ.  Some of it is subpar, and also some great stuff .  But at least as a fan i know he is still inspired as an artist.  I feel like PJ would rather go to the dentist instead of the studio.