Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• RYMERYME Posts: 1,904
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:
    I don’t understand people “shitting on” Backspacer but not Lightning Bolt. Backspacer is better. 
    I don’t understand people ”shitting on” Lightning Bolt by saying it is worse than Backspacer. Lightning Bolt is better. 
    My point was simply that @CROJAM95 said people shit on Backspacer and I don’t get that. I apologize for speaking out ever so slightly against a Pearl Jam album. 
    If Backspacer is your worst album, and it has crowd favorites ( poppy, yes) like Got Some, Fixer, Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known, Force of Nature...Your a pretty damn good band thats fighting against your own MEGA legacy

enough said....something will always be labeled " best", " worst" ....human nature to put everything in a box

it was a fun tour and the songs i mentioned always have a nice crowd reaction
    Force of Nature was my favorite tune off Backspacer.  Lukas & Willie nelson coverd Just Breathe.  There were a few good songs off lightning bolt & backspacer.  I wouldn't call them great albums.  Gigaton is the one album that has 0 songs that I like.  None that resonate or can relate too.  That album was just cobbled together over a long period of time, they layed down on that album and didn't put any effort into it, obvious they weren't into it themselves.  Just like the current 9 show up coming tour in 5 cities.  Seems to me like they don't really want to do this.  Willie Nelson just turned 90, look at his concert schedule for this year.   He doesn't play 3 hours.   But instead he puts together quality music festivals, including many music genres.  I love Pearl Jam,  but there just not into it.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    Backspacer was solid and the supporting tour was awesome. Those 2009-11 shows were top notch.  Toronto 1, 2011 is definitely a top five show for me.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    Wow no gigaton songs at all? 
    Imo half that album is great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    RYME said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:
    I don’t understand people “shitting on” Backspacer but not Lightning Bolt. Backspacer is better. 
    I don’t understand people ”shitting on” Lightning Bolt by saying it is worse than Backspacer. Lightning Bolt is better. 
    My point was simply that @CROJAM95 said people shit on Backspacer and I don’t get that. I apologize for speaking out ever so slightly against a Pearl Jam album. 
    If Backspacer is your worst album, and it has crowd favorites ( poppy, yes) like Got Some, Fixer, Just Breathe, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known, Force of Nature...Your a pretty damn good band thats fighting against your own MEGA legacy

enough said....something will always be labeled " best", " worst" ....human nature to put everything in a box

Force of Nature was my favorite tune off Backspacer.  Lukas & Willie nelson coverd Just Breathe.  There were a few good songs off lightning bolt & backspacer.  I wouldn't call them great albums.  Gigaton is the one album that has 0 songs that I like.  None that resonate or can relate too.  That album was just cobbled together over a long period of time, they layed down on that album and didn't put any effort into it, obvious they weren't into it themselves.  Just like the current 9 show up coming tour in 5 cities.  Seems to me like they don't really want to do this.  Willie Nelson just turned 90, look at his concert schedule for this year.   He doesn't play 3 hours.   But instead he puts together quality music festivals, including many music genres.  I love Pearl Jam,  but they’re just not into it.
    You may not like or connect with Gigaton, that’s fair, it’s very different and not every one’s cup of tea. But I don’t think it’s fair at all to say they didn’t put any effort in, if anything they put too much effort in. And even if the results aren’t my favorite I love that they still want to try new sounds. There are things on Gigaton they had never done before, how many bands can you still say that about after 30 years? 
  • RYMERYME Posts: 1,904
    mcgruff10 said:
    Backspacer was solid and the supporting tour was awesome. Those 2009-11 shows were top notch.  Toronto 1, 2011 is definitely a top five show for me.   
    Couldn't agree more. 
    Went to both shows at the UC in Chicago on the BS tour.  Was great!!
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,852
    RYME said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:

Force of Nature was my favorite tune off Backspacer.  Lukas & Willie nelson coverd Just Breathe.  There were a few good songs off lightning bolt & backspacer.  I wouldn't call them great albums.  Gigaton is the one album that has 0 songs that I like.  None that resonate or can relate too.  That album was just cobbled together over a long period of time, they layed down on that album and didn't put any effort into it, obvious they weren't into it themselves.  Just like the current 9 show up coming tour in 5 cities.  Seems to me like they don't really want to do this.  Willie Nelson just turned 90, look at his concert schedule for this year.   He doesn't play 3 hours.   But instead he puts together quality music festivals, including many music genres.  I love Pearl Jam,  but there just not into it.
    I’m not into your post. I’m guessing most people on here disagree with you. Gigaton was great IMO, it just came out at a weird time. I think it’s way better than BS and just as good as LB or better. Your comment that pj just isn’t into it is laughable. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    RYME said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:

I’m not into your post. I’m guessing most people on here disagree with you. Gigaton was great IMO, it just came out at a weird time. I think it’s way better than BS and just as good as LB or better. Your comment that pj just isn’t into it is laughable. 
    You don't think it blows both BS and LB out of the water anymore?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,716
    Gigaton has never resonated with me either.  The band may have spent a fair amount of time on it (no idea) but IMO it sure feels like they spent little if any time in an actual room together making it.  I'm hoping for a better album the next round especially since it sounds like they have been working on it in person off and on in LA.  Hopefully there will be an excellent song or two that can be a mainstay live beyond one album tour.  I personally don't think Gigaton has that though I'm sure a few will make it into rotation on occasion. 
    edited June 2023
    I really think gigaton is their best effort since yield.  To each their own.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,787
    Love Gigaton! Front to back I think the songs are great. Retrograde and Who Ever Said live are fantastic.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,469
    mcgruff10 said:
    Since riot act actually 😂🧐
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    mcgruff10 said:
    Great tour, crappy album.  ;)
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,852
    RYME said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:

I think I know what blows, should I tell you what it is? 
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,982
    mcgruff10 said:
    Since Avocado…

I think the first four songs off are fantastic and I was sad not to see more live, especially Quick Escape. The rest of the album I could live without…
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    RYME said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    KM73780 said:
    KM73780 said:

I think I know what blows, should I tell you what it is? 
    You made my day referencing one of the new Noel Gallagher songs <3
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,982
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Great tour, greatest album.  ;)
    Fixed. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• ZodZod Posts: 10,502
    I really like Avacado.  That one's my favorite post Yield album.  I guess well have our different tastes.

I'd probably go:

Avacado
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Backspacer
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt

I feel like the last two are a tie.. lol.   I love Backspacer, only complaint is how short it is :)
    Today post yield I d go:
    gigaton
    backspscer
    binaural
    Self titled 
    lb

Riot act 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901
    mcgruff10 said:

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,401
    mcgruff10 said:
    Today post yield I d go:
    gigaton
    backspscer
    binaural
    Self titled 
    lb

Riot act 
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    S/T
    Giga
    LB
    BS
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    mcgruff10 said:
    Today post yield I d go:
    gigaton
    backspscer
    binaural
    Self titled 
    lb

Riot act 
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    S/T
    Giga
    LB
    BS
    wow. same. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    mcgruff10 said:
    Today post yield I d go:
    gigaton
    backspscer
    binaural
    Self titled 
    lb

Riot act 
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    S/T
    Giga
    LB
    BS
    wow. same. 
    Me too, but I'd be ok switching S/T and Riot Act
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    edited June 2023
    Riot Act
    S/T
    Gigaton
    Binaural
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Gigaton
    S/T
    Backspacer 
    Lightning Bolt
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    Riot Act
    S/T
    Gigaton
    Binaural
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    I guess im one of the few that isn’t excited about watt producing. I hate the way the earthlings album sounds. Cool that he’s a big fan but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I just hope it’s better than gigaton because I could just never get into that album and the few songs I see live absolutely killed the momentum of every show. Maybe besides whoever said. 
  • Binaural 
    Riot Act
    Gigaton
    S/T 
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 643
    Gigaton
    Binaural
    S/T
    Riot Act
    LB
    Bs

Top 3 here can rotate. Backspacer seems like Ed had writer’s block with his lyrics, outside of his solo-ish songs. RA and LB feel like a hodgepodge of sounds. 

I’m hopeful Watt works (not a big fan of Earthings production), but I think Josh Evans did a great job and wish he was doing the follow up.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    Gigaton
    Binaural
    S/T
    Riot Act
    LB
    Bs

Top 3 here can rotate. Backspacer seems like Ed had writer’s block with his lyrics, outside of his solo-ish songs. RA and LB feel like a hodgepodge of sounds. 

I’m hopeful Watt works (not a big fan of Earthings production), but I think Josh Evans did a great job and wish he was doing the follow up.
    100% agree. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    nicknyr15 said:
    I guess im one of the few that isn’t excited about watt producing. I hate the way the earthlings album sounds. Cool that he’s a big fan but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I just hope it’s better than gigaton because I could just never get into that album and the few songs I see live absolutely killed the momentum of every show. Maybe besides whoever said. 
    I'm with you totally on Earthlings, that was the first album that Ed's been involved with that I have just not enjoyed at all. 

However I was completely the opposite on gigaton, I like the album (although it isnt as amazing as hoped) but felt the songs were amazing live.Particularly SBWM, quick escape and river cross. Even DOTC which is one i skip on the record. I figure after a few more tours and once the songs are familiar live and not just the new batch they will fit in really well.