Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    tish said:
    Thanks for the reminder about the at home z
    LAMP tests that I can purchase ahead of time. I'd forgotten about that option. I'll look into it and see if I can buy them through another provider besides Air Canada Aeroplan. Or I'll sign up (again)?

Thank you!! Thank you!

Also, we had no problems getting appointment with the switch online nurse to do the day 8 test on arrival. They were bugging me!
    The first time I had no problem getting the day 8 test booked, but the second the person didn't "show up" virtually at the appointment time, and then also didn't show up for the rebooked test a few hours later. The test finally got done on day 9, which was a bit stressful because you don't know whether that's going to lead to a fine. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,117
    How did everyone fair with their booster?

My first 2 were Pfizer, but on Thursday I got a Moderna booster.   The first pfizer was ok, super sore arm for a few days, 2nd pfizer as an even sorer sore arm, and I felt off/lathargic for a day or two.    I had that with the moderna, but went up another notch and I had a major fever about a day and a bit after I got the shot.. going back to normal now.. but fuck that wasn't pleasant.
  • Options
    Zod said:

My first 2 were Pfizer, but on Thursday I got a Moderna booster.   The first pfizer was ok, super sore arm for a few days, 2nd pfizer as an even sorer sore arm, and I felt off/lathargic for a day or two.    I had that with the moderna, but went up another notch and I had a major fever about a day and a bit after I got the shot.. going back to normal now.. but fuck that wasn't pleasant.

I also got a Moderna booster after first 2 Pfizer, and had pretty much no trouble with it. Was a bit tired and a bit headachy but nowhere near as bad as shots 1 and 2, and a good thing too, as I had to work and had no option not to even if things didn't go well, since I was also covering for other colleagues. 
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about the court decision on Djokovic. On the one hand I think he should have been deported, given the totality of the circumstances, but I don't know that I agree with the arguments that the government made for doing so. In my opinion it's cleaner and more cut-and-dried to argue on the incorrect documentation, since that's recognized as a reason for not allowing entry. His argument that it wasn't him but his "staff" that made the error is irrelevant and reeks of privilege; everyone is responsible for their own entry documents. I can understand why the government made the arguments that they did but it seems a stretch, since to the best of my knowledge Djokovic hasn't personally encouraged others not to be vaccinated or acted as a rallying point for anti-vaxx sentiment. He has been careless of others' safety and has flouted covid restrictions personally, but if others use him as an inspiration, how much responsibility does he have?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/16/australia-court-rules-novak-djokovic-to-be-deported
  • Options
    Zod said:

I also got a Moderna booster after first 2 Pfizer, and had pretty much no trouble with it. Was a bit tired and a bit headachy but nowhere near as bad as shots 1 and 2, and a good thing too, as I had to work and had no option not to even if things didn't go well, since I was also covering for other colleagues. 
    I had to work the next day too.  I got mine on Thursday evening.  Friday during the day it was a sore arm and feeling a bit off, same as when I get my 2nd pfizer shot.   It was that evening that it started going downhill.  Had a raging fever and the chills by midnight.   i'm happy that didn't happen until after work, and that when it did get bad, I had 2 weekend days to recover from it.

Not sure why my reaction to vaccines is getting worse with each shot.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:
    "but I'm  just a dumb monkey comedian. nobody should listen to me .... now let me tell you about my supplements....."

As long as he can attract guest and viewers he’ll always have a platform…unfortunately…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Zod said:

I had Moderna after the J&J.  I felt a bit funny after the J&J for a day but nothing on the booster except soreness in my arm.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

I had to work the next day too.  I got mine on Thursday evening.  Friday during the day it was a sore arm and feeling a bit off, same as when I get my 2nd pfizer shot.   It was that evening that it started going downhill.  Had a raging fever and the chills by midnight.   i'm happy that didn't happen until after work, and that when it did get bad, I had 2 weekend days to recover from it.

It seems to suggest that your immunity was low...were you beyond the six months from your original shot?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    "but I'm  just a dumb monkey comedian. nobody should listen to me .... now let me tell you about my supplements....."

As long as he can attract guest and viewers he’ll always have a platform…unfortunately…
    Yeah it's fucked up. I have a tRumpster friend that actually got vaccinated but when I was talking to him the other day I asked if he got boosted and he had not yet. He was bringing up this bullshit from Rogan. I told him to get boosted but left it at that. He said that he had been taking some immunity boosting bullshit from some local wellness store.

Why people reject science yet believe idiots like Rogan just blows my mind.

• Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

It seems to suggest that your immunity was low...were you beyond the six months from your original shot?

I was 3 days short of 6 months.   The only thing I can surmise is my body had a bigger reaction to the moderna that it did the prior pfizer vaccines.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    Testing shortage seems to be getting better. Our youngest woke us up at 2 am Saturday and had a 104 fever. He’s better now. We had 1 home test and he was positive. Last time I tried booking with our healthcare it was about 2 weeks out, which is pointless. This time they had next day appointments. Hoping for results today, but not one else has symptoms yet. I was going to lose my mind if we couldn’t get tested for weeks.
  • Options
    Today Health Canada approved paxlovid (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir), which some research suggests can reduce the rate of serious morbidity and mortality by 89% in high-risk covid patients.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/health-canada-pfizer-therapeutic-1.6317505
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Testing shortage seems to be getting better. Our youngest woke us up at 2 am Saturday and had a 104 fever. He’s better now. We had 1 home test and he was positive. Last time I tried booking with our healthcare it was about 2 weeks out, which is pointless. This time they had next day appointments. Hoping for results today, but not one else has symptoms yet. I was going to lose my mind if we couldn’t get tested for weeks.

Good luck to all of you.

You may want to wait another day or two before testing the family, especially if you are still asymptomatic. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Today Health Canada approved paxlovid (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir), which some research suggests can reduce the rate of serious morbidity and mortality by 89% in high-risk covid patients.

That's good although I think this is in very short supply right now,  at least it is here in the States. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

That's good although I think this is in very short supply right now,  at least it is here in the States. 
    Indeed, though Pfizer is working on increasing production capacity by expanding development in countries/facilities in Europe and other areas.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-boost-covid-19-pill-production-with-french-deal-2022-01-17/
  • Options
    A good read on why we shouldn't be calling omicron infections "mild", why it's not a great idea to "just get infected and get it over with", and why the "hospitalized with or for covid" debate is more complicated than some would like it to be.

Experts on whether getting Covid is inevitable and why, despite claims of ‘mildness’, the variant is highly dangerous

Leaders in the US have struck a pessimistic tone about the Covid-19 pandemic in recent weeks amid rapid spread of the Omicron variant.

Janet Woodcock, acting commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration, recently testified before Congress that “most people are going to get Covid”. Dr Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to Joe Biden, has also said that Omicron “​​will ultimately find just about everybody” in terms of exposure, though vaccines make an important difference in who develops the illness.

But Covid-19 is still a very serious disease with unknown outcomes, even for the less severe Omicron variant.

Here top experts break down exactly why people should still try to avoid getting Covid-19 – especially in the next few weeks and months, as hospitals see unprecedented strain and effective early treatments are appearing on the horizon.

Am I just going to get Covid no matter what I do?

“That’s not true,” said Paul Offit, a professor of pediatrics in the division of infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. “I don’t plan on getting infected with Omicron. I’m vaccinated; because I’m over 65, I’m boosted. I wear a mask whenever I’m in public and indoors around people I don’t know. And I have no intentions of being infected with this virus.”

While the more transmissible Omicron variant is infecting more people than ever before, taking proven precautions can still prevent it: getting vaccinated and boosted, wearing high-quality masks, improving ventilation and avoiding crowds indoors.

Should I just get it and get it over with?

Planning to get Omicron in order to gain some immunity or get it over with is a terrible idea, said Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research. “This is a real-deal virus where there’s unpredictability,” he said. “Some people can get very sick. Some people can get long Covid. Some people unwittingly will then get immunocompromised people sick”, leading to hospitalization and death.

He added: “There’s too many liabilities, too many uncertainties and unpredictabilities when you get a virus with this known profile that can be very severe and lethal still.”

And it’s not at all clear if recovering from Omicron would protect against future variants.

If you’ve already gotten Omicron, it may have broadened your T-cell recognition and your B-cell memory and given you “a nice jolt of neutralizing antibodies”, Topol said. But “you can’t possibly make that assertion that Omicron will protect from the future”.

But isn’t Omicron mild?

Definitely not a guarantee. It is still a deadly illness.

Omicon is less severe than Delta – but Delta was itself more severe than previous variants.

“It can still be severe,” Topol said. He calls it less severe, not milder. “‘Milder’ caught on early, and I think it’s unfortunate it’s given this impression, because there’s so many people dying and winding up in the ICU.”

In animal studies, Omicron was less effective than Delta at infecting lung tissue, making severe pneumonia less likely. And according to a new preprint study, which has not been published or peer reviewed, illness was shorter and hospitalizations were half as likely among those with Omicron versus Delta.

But a lowered risk of getting very ill doesn’t mean no risk, Offit said. “You still could have all of those things happen to you – you still could be hospitalized, go to the ICU, require mechanical ventilation and die.”

Is that why some people are still being hospitalized?

The US has record-high hospitalizations, and cases are more than three times higher than our previous highest peak, a year ago.

That’s because the other characteristics of Omicron – its immune-evasiveness and transmissibility – more than outweigh its relatively less severe symptoms. When more people get sick, there are more chances of the illness going very wrong.

“A small percentage of a huge number is a very large number,” said Jorge Moreno, assistant professor of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine.

Jerome Adams, the former US surgeon general, laid out the math: “If your enemy uses a weapon that’s one-third as likely to kill you, but four times as many people are shooting at you, you’re now 1.3 times as likely to die!”

What about this idea of being hospitalized “for” versus “with” Covid?

“I think that’s grossly inaccurate,” Topol said. He recently cared for a Covid-positive patient with chronic lung disease who was coded as hospitalized “with”, not “for,” Covid. That’s because the patient needed to be treated for the lung disease – but it had only flared up because of Covid.

“We do have 150,000 US hospitalizations with or for Covid, which is well beyond any record and is completely overwhelming health systems,” Topol said. “So, this debate is just nonsensical.”

There are cases where patients are undergoing surgery or getting treated for accidents when they test positive for Covid incidentally. But that’s not very common, experts said.

It’s far more likely that Covid exacerbates another condition or causes a different illness to rise to the forefront: complications from diabetes, renal failure, strokes, heart inflammation or failure, asthma, emphysema, pulmonary embolisms.

Does that mean the types of complications caused by Covid are changing?

“This virus does things no other respiratory virus does,” Offit said. “You can have strokes, heart attacks, kidney disease, liver disease, and then whatever long Covid is.”

Previous variants also created these types of complications. The difference with Omicron is, you might not need to be ventilated – but you’ll still need to be hospitalized, sometimes in the intensive care unit.

“It may be causing a milder pulmonary problem, but it’s definitely still causing other problems,” Moreno said. “They may not require intubation; they may still require the ICU.”

One major complication from Covid has been diabetic ketoacidosis. “It raises their blood sugars; it creates conditions that are more threatening for patients with diabetes,” Moreno said.

“Those are very urgent and sometimes life-threatening conditions. They still require a lot of care. They still require a lot of time in the hospital.”

continued at link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/16/no-intention-of-getting-infected-understanding-omicrons-severity

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah it's fucked up. I have a tRumpster friend that actually got vaccinated but when I was talking to him the other day I asked if he got boosted and he had not yet. He was bringing up this bullshit from Rogan. I told him to get boosted but left it at that. He said that he had been taking some immunity boosting bullshit from some local wellness store.

Most of my opinions on Rohan are based off clips and what i read.  So this past weekend I watched 3 of his podcast or whatever on YouTube…jay leno, bill burr and bob saget…bill burr was the only 1 enjoyable..The other 2 were Rogan and his guest just sitting and talking…with Rogan spreading his ignorance…not enjoyable.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Most of my opinions on Rohan are based off clips and what i read.  So this past weekend I watched 3 of his podcast or whatever on YouTube…jay leno, bill burr and bob saget…bill burr was the only 1 enjoyable..The other 2 were Rogan and his guest just sitting and talking…with Rogan spreading his ignorance…not enjoyable.
    I honestly haven't listened to him much. I probably wouldn't mind him if he didn't spew that bullshit as fact.

He's not stupid but how does someone with that following not want to make sure what they are stating is helpful or even true?  It's fucked up to bring that quack doctor on to give these anti-vax idiots a leg to stand on.

• Options
    mace1229 said:

Good luck to all of you.

You may want to wait another day or two before testing the family, especially if you are still asymptomatic. 
    Thank you.
    yeah, I thought about that. But I think my wife needs (may just be recommended) a negative test to go in tomorrow. So we’ll try again in a few days if it’s negative.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Zod said:

My first two were Pfizer and I elected to do Pfizer again as had no significant issues with the Pfizer shots before.   I didn't have any issues with the booster but did make sure to drink fluids and took Tylenol/Advil during the day which may have helped a little (I didn't take any pain relievers during the first two shots).  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    A good read on why we shouldn't be calling omicron infections "mild", why it's not a great idea to "just get infected and get it over with", and why the "hospitalized with or for covid" debate is more complicated than some would like it to be.

Experts on whether getting Covid is inevitable and why, despite claims of ‘mildness’, the variant is highly dangerous

Leaders in the US have struck a pessimistic tone about the Covid-19 pandemic in recent weeks amid rapid spread of the Omicron variant.

Janet Woodcock, acting commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration, recently testified before Congress that “most people are going to get Covid”. Dr Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to Joe Biden, has also said that Omicron “​​will ultimately find just about everybody” in terms of exposure, though vaccines make an important difference in who develops the illness.

But Covid-19 is still a very serious disease with unknown outcomes, even for the less severe Omicron variant.

Here top experts break down exactly why people should still try to avoid getting Covid-19 – especially in the next few weeks and months, as hospitals see unprecedented strain and effective early treatments are appearing on the horizon.

Am I just going to get Covid no matter what I do?

“That’s not true,” said Paul Offit, a professor of pediatrics in the division of infectious diseases at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. “I don’t plan on getting infected with Omicron. I’m vaccinated; because I’m over 65, I’m boosted. I wear a mask whenever I’m in public and indoors around people I don’t know. And I have no intentions of being infected with this virus.”

While the more transmissible Omicron variant is infecting more people than ever before, taking proven precautions can still prevent it: getting vaccinated and boosted, wearing high-quality masks, improving ventilation and avoiding crowds indoors.

Should I just get it and get it over with?

Planning to get Omicron in order to gain some immunity or get it over with is a terrible idea, said Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research. “This is a real-deal virus where there’s unpredictability,” he said. “Some people can get very sick. Some people can get long Covid. Some people unwittingly will then get immunocompromised people sick”, leading to hospitalization and death.

He added: “There’s too many liabilities, too many uncertainties and unpredictabilities when you get a virus with this known profile that can be very severe and lethal still.”

And it’s not at all clear if recovering from Omicron would protect against future variants.

If you’ve already gotten Omicron, it may have broadened your T-cell recognition and your B-cell memory and given you “a nice jolt of neutralizing antibodies”, Topol said. But “you can’t possibly make that assertion that Omicron will protect from the future”.

But isn’t Omicron mild?

Definitely not a guarantee. It is still a deadly illness.

Omicon is less severe than Delta – but Delta was itself more severe than previous variants.

“It can still be severe,” Topol said. He calls it less severe, not milder. “‘Milder’ caught on early, and I think it’s unfortunate it’s given this impression, because there’s so many people dying and winding up in the ICU.”

In animal studies, Omicron was less effective than Delta at infecting lung tissue, making severe pneumonia less likely. And according to a new preprint study, which has not been published or peer reviewed, illness was shorter and hospitalizations were half as likely among those with Omicron versus Delta.

But a lowered risk of getting very ill doesn’t mean no risk, Offit said. “You still could have all of those things happen to you – you still could be hospitalized, go to the ICU, require mechanical ventilation and die.”

Is that why some people are still being hospitalized?

The US has record-high hospitalizations, and cases are more than three times higher than our previous highest peak, a year ago.

That’s because the other characteristics of Omicron – its immune-evasiveness and transmissibility – more than outweigh its relatively less severe symptoms. When more people get sick, there are more chances of the illness going very wrong.

“A small percentage of a huge number is a very large number,” said Jorge Moreno, assistant professor of medicine at the Yale School of Medicine.

Jerome Adams, the former US surgeon general, laid out the math: “If your enemy uses a weapon that’s one-third as likely to kill you, but four times as many people are shooting at you, you’re now 1.3 times as likely to die!”

What about this idea of being hospitalized “for” versus “with” Covid?

“I think that’s grossly inaccurate,” Topol said. He recently cared for a Covid-positive patient with chronic lung disease who was coded as hospitalized “with”, not “for,” Covid. That’s because the patient needed to be treated for the lung disease – but it had only flared up because of Covid.

“We do have 150,000 US hospitalizations with or for Covid, which is well beyond any record and is completely overwhelming health systems,” Topol said. “So, this debate is just nonsensical.”

There are cases where patients are undergoing surgery or getting treated for accidents when they test positive for Covid incidentally. But that’s not very common, experts said.

It’s far more likely that Covid exacerbates another condition or causes a different illness to rise to the forefront: complications from diabetes, renal failure, strokes, heart inflammation or failure, asthma, emphysema, pulmonary embolisms.

Does that mean the types of complications caused by Covid are changing?

“This virus does things no other respiratory virus does,” Offit said. “You can have strokes, heart attacks, kidney disease, liver disease, and then whatever long Covid is.”

Previous variants also created these types of complications. The difference with Omicron is, you might not need to be ventilated – but you’ll still need to be hospitalized, sometimes in the intensive care unit.

“It may be causing a milder pulmonary problem, but it’s definitely still causing other problems,” Moreno said. “They may not require intubation; they may still require the ICU.”

One major complication from Covid has been diabetic ketoacidosis. “It raises their blood sugars; it creates conditions that are more threatening for patients with diabetes,” Moreno said.

“Those are very urgent and sometimes life-threatening conditions. They still require a lot of care. They still require a lot of time in the hospital.”

continued at link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/16/no-intention-of-getting-infected-understanding-omicrons-severity

well. this is what journslism looks like?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited January 2022
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    I keep seeing tRumpsters trot out this clip of Rachel Maddow saying that people that have been vaccinated do NOT transmit the virus....come to find out this clip is a year old and that was the thought at the time. Maddow wasn't making it up...she was just reporting what others were publishing.

None of them do five seconds of research to see why Maddow would have said that. They just say how much of a liar she is.

This is an example of the disconnect between fake news and reality. 

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I keep seeing tRumpsters trot out this clip of Rachel Maddow saying that people that have been vaccinated do NOT transmit the virus....come to find out this clip is a year old and that was the thought at the time. Maddow wasn't making it up...she was just reporting what others were publishing.

None of them do five seconds of research to see why Maddow would have said that. They just say how much of a liar she is.

The vaccine used to protect against the spread of COVID but now it doesn't. We are being told to go get those boosters but is that the right decision? As far as we know right now the answer is yes but what if that changes over time much like the vaccine efficacy? https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2022/1/12/22879917/covid-19-vaccine-booster-too-many-shots-immune-system

• Options

I haven’t seen that, not saying it isn’t happening. But why single her out, everyone said it up until about 7 or 8 months ago.
    I do see similar arguments that don’t single her out and not to call anyone a liar, but to point out how much we don’t know, and how quickly what we do changes.
    What I find odd is a lot of people seem to claim the purpose of this, and any vaccine, is to not prevent illness and spread, but simply lessen the symptoms when you do get it. I see nothing wrong with saying the vaccine isn’t as effective as it once was, but will still save many lives. Don’t need to sugar coat that into something it’s not.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:

The vaccine used to protect against the spread of COVID but now it doesn't. We are being told to go get those boosters but is that the right decision? As far as we know right now the answer is yes but what if that changes over time much like the vaccine efficacy? https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2022/1/12/22879917/covid-19-vaccine-booster-too-many-shots-immune-system

Then you adjust guidance if the latest research points that way.  That's how science works.  LThe studies so far have shown that full vaccine plus booster protect you from infection 50 to 80% of the time.  Now that's not perfect and not as high as it was against the original variants,  but still worthwhile to push a a public health priority.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Then you adjust guidance if the latest research points that way.  That's how science works.  LThe studies so far have shown that full vaccine plus booster protect you from infection 50 to 80% of the time.  Now that's not perfect and not as high as it was against the original variants,  but still worthwhile to push a a public health priority.  

you mean the vaccine built for the varients from 2020?

fucking lazy science.  shoulda did em for the next one to come.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

They were probably union. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

They were probably union. 

Immunologists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your labs.