Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    tish said:
    Let's not forget that age is the greatest factor in a negative outcome.

Stop getting old, people.

could you imagine how much worse the planet would be if people didn't get old, and eventually pass away. Big population explosion from births and no deaths. Even faster pullution of the planet and consumption of resources.  It wouldn't be good :)
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Expect more worrisome variants after Omicron, scientists say

Not sounding so positive anymore, unfortunately…

hey at least we are learning the Greek alphabet….

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,953
    Hang in there Tempo! (I wish we could test more than the above 60 under 5 groups where I live. Proof would make spring travelling easier for me.)

I try to look at the up side of things and I'm glad we're mostly all going to gain some immunity from this variant that can be less severe. Might help us in the future. WHO knows, lol.

• Options
    dignin said:
    tish said:
    dignin said:
    tish said:
    How many of those hospitalized unvaccinated had broken arms?

That's the data I need to know...

Maybe the vaccinated just don't get as many broken arms.

This is for my province, not country data.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/modelling-projections.

We call those cases incidentals.
    Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I'm just poking fun at some of the downplayers here.
    I suppose there was something to all that chatter in the last few weeks around this topic.

If we could generalize BC findings, one could say that half of covid hospitalizations are incidental covid cases.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,374
    I have joined the club!  I have covid!  Mazeltov…

4th day in.  No more back pain or fever, just a cough now…
    Hope you recover quickly and completely
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Take it easy there, tempo. Hope it’s not too bad. 
  • Options
    Good news. Post earlier her surgery was postponed, she has a new date.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    That’s great news. Good for her!
  • Options
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,347
    edited January 2022
    "but I'm  just a dumb monkey comedian. nobody should listen to me .... now let me tell you about my supplements....."

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    No one’s forcing people to listen to the podcast or “do what Joe does”. 
  • Options
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,943
    edited January 2022

Another idiot laughing all the way to the cover of People Magazine.
    One very ignorable dude on my radar.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,374
    dignin said:
    Of course other factors need to be accounted for.
    It's likely 12-29 year olds are engaging in far more activities that risk them for exposure (School, sports, bars, parties etc.) than 80+ year olds.
    Clearly vaccination and boosting works, but the smarter comparison is rates within age groups. Unvaxxed 12-29 year olds hospitalized at far greater rates than 3 dosed 12-29 year olds, same for 80+ year olds.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    ^ Plus many over 80s already died?
  • Options
    Zod said:
    tish said:

could you imagine how much worse the planet would be if people didn't get old, and eventually pass away. Big population explosion from births and no deaths. Even faster pullution of the planet and consumption of resources.  It wouldn't be good :)
    Yes, that is why I respect this virus. Not such a popular opinion.
  • Options

These laws quietly changed. Now traveller's can potentially be stuck in other countries for fewer days.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    tish said:
    ^ Plus many over 80s already died?
    That’s not how “rates” work.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    tish said:
    Zod said:
    tish said:

Yes, that is why I respect this virus. Not such a popular opinion.

Yah, we're not allowed to talk about things like that.   Mother nature trying to find ways to reduce the human population to make the planet habitable for a longer period of time for the survivors :)
  • Options
    Yup.  whether we like it or not we need to go or stop breeding...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ^^ Talking is fine, lol, documenting not so much, hah.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I'm trying to catch my omicron exposure so when I come back from Florida land sea April/May rebooked vacation, I won't have to fret about whether the airport will have enough PCR-RT tests. Website says they may be limited.

I think I'll book a test later today, even though my Sx are not severe enough to qualify for suggested testing. Lots of appointments open surprisingly.

EDIT - Bonus: won't have to worry about negative tests while on trip delaying my return. 

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Poncier said:
    dignin said:
    Of course other factors need to be accounted for.
    It's likely 12-29 year olds are engaging in far more activities that risk them for exposure (School, sports, bars, parties etc.) than 80+ year olds.
    Clearly vaccination and boosting works, but the smarter comparison is rates within age groups. Unvaxxed 12-29 year olds hospitalized at far greater rates than 3 dosed 12-29 year olds, same for 80+ year olds.
    Those comparisons are in the data already.

Pointing out the unexpected is helpful. We've been told by idiots that this only really effects the old and frail.

Everyone get vaccinated.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    I'm sick of hearing about how these vaccines are overated.

They are a straight up life saver.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    tish said:
    I'm trying to catch my omicron exposure so when I come back from Florida land sea April/May rebooked vacation, I won't have to fret about whether the airport will have enough PCR-RT tests. Website says they may be limited.

I think I'll book a test later today, even though my Sx are not severe enough to qualify for suggested testing. Lots of appointments open surprisingly.

EDIT - Bonus: won't have to worry about negative tests while on trip delaying my return. 

I hear you on this. I travel to the US fairly frequently and it's a major stress each time figuring out the PCR test to return and making sure I get my results back in time. Earlier in 2021 I was able to get free tests from the state testing site but in recent months they have been overwhelmed and unable to provide the results within 72 hours, so now it involves doing the rounds of different private testing clinics and facilities to figure out who can provide what I need. The options change every time, too. 

In my experience the testing sites at the major airports can be a real clusterfuck. The rapid antigen testing place at YVR in late December was a total clusterfuck, with lineups of hundreds (literally) of frustrated and angry people trying to get tested to get their flights and no clear signage as to what line you should be in for appointments vs. walk-ins and no one to talk to. You might have a different experience but if you're able to get tested at a private community clinic and not at the airport, I'd recommend it. 

A week ago I had some mild symptoms, just headache and congestion, so I booked a PCR test. While I am a bit worried about the potential for serious illness a part of me was kind of hoping that I would test positive and get the "get out of PCR jail free" card for 90 days. No dice, though; I was negative. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    We're heading straight from the cruise ship to the airport so that's not much of an option unless Disney Cruise expands its testing to include molecular options for a fee. Or laws change. Doubtful on both counts.

I think that's awesome what u did. I thought I was unique in my mastermind manipulative thinking!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    In fact, my thinking is so skewed, I thought it'd be best for the Earthlings to get their exposure quarantine done ahead of tour.

I'm hopeful herd immunity and variant mutation give usa spring summer window this year to have less risk fun!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    tish said:
    We're heading straight from the cruise ship to the airport so that's not much of an option unless Disney Cruise expands its testing to include molecular options for a fee. Or laws change. Doubtful on both counts.

I think that's awesome what u did. I thought I was unique in my mastermind manipulative thinking!

Tish, have you looked into the at-home rapid molecular tests that can be purchased through Air Canada Aeroplan? They are LAMP tests and accepted for entry into Canada. You would need to order and receive them before you left on your trip, because they will only be sent to Canadian addresses, but you would have that as a backup. You do the test while on video with a Switch health person and they somehow read your result and email you an official result. I actually have a box with a test but am holding it in reserve if I really can't get a rapid PCR at some point. My only worry with the at home one is that Switch is the company that was doing the Day 8 tests in mid-2021 for all arriving passengers and getting a virtual appointment with them was a bit of a hassle. I think you need to be an Aeroplan member to order but that's easy enough to sign up.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for the reminder about the at home z
    LAMP tests that I can purchase ahead of time. I'd forgotten about that option. I'll look into it and see if I can buy them through another provider besides Air Canada Aeroplan. Or I'll sign up (again)?

Thank you!! Thank you!

Also, we had no problems getting appointment with the switch online nurse to do the day 8 test on arrival. They were bugging me!
    Post edited by Spunkie on