Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,793
    nicknyr15 said:
    Of course now we’re blaming Trump for Fauci lying. Of course. It must be Trumps fault. 
    And what did Fauci lie about?

People definitely can't handle the truth. They take the truth and twist it in to taking animal parasite meds and drinking their own urine.
    About the effectiveness of masks. Pretty simple. I’m in the business. N95 masks were out of stock in mid January. Hardware stores in NYC were being cleared out and sent to family in China. I had to stop selling them and save them for actual construction and demolition. 

I know how stupid people are. Just look at the TP situation. But either way , a lie is a lie. And now that lie is hypothetically being blamed on Trump. It’s just so weird to me. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    If the message had been masks help, but we need to save them for healthcare workers, does anyone believe the public would have heeded that request? Hell no. I hate that we were lied to but just imagine the panic buying, or attempting to buy masks and then the ensuing freaking out about not being able to find them. Pure chaos. Remember how people panic bought TP? 
    this is why, if it was a lie, it doesn't bother me. as much as I hate that our society has to play by the rules of the stupidest, selfish people, I completely understood why they lied. because, as the toilet paper fiasco of 2020 showed us, a global health crisis doesn't bring out the kumbaya in many people. 
    It bothers me greatly.  Give us the truth, we can handle the truth.  Doing this has compromised everything they have said and done since making it a lot worse.  

You can control that very differently....you don;t allow the N95's into the marketplace...which is what they did anyhow.
    we can, but many can't. there have been countless measures government agencies have taken over the course of history to protect society from themselves. And I agree with a lot of it. 

I guess you could look at it as half a dozen of one or 6 of the other. had they told the truth, chaos could have reigned supreme, with fistfights and shootings over masks. but since they did it the way I agree with, a lot of people now don't believe the science. 

the former, not having happened, it's hard to say which one is worse. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Of course now we’re blaming Trump for Fauci lying. Of course. It must be Trumps fault. 

People definitely can't handle the truth. They take the truth and twist it in to taking animal parasite meds and drinking their own urine.
    About the effectiveness of masks. Pretty simple. I’m in the business. N95 masks were out of stock in mid January. Hardware stores in NYC were being cleared out and sent to family in China. I had to stop selling them and save them for actual construction and demolition. 

I know how stupid people are. Just look at the TP situation. But either way , a lie is a lie. And now that lie is hypothetically being blamed on Trump. It’s just so weird to me. 
    Do you have a link to this lie?

I'm curious how tRump is being blamed for the "lie".

tRump can be blamed for a lot of things. Remember how the virus wasn't a big deal and we would all be together for Easter 2020?  Have you called out tRump for that "lie?"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

tRump can be blamed for a lot of things. Remember how the virus wasn't a big deal and we would all be together for Easter 2020?  Have you called out tRump for that "lie?"
    Trump is being blamed on these boards. I’m not providing a link for Faucis statement on masks at the start of the pandemic. I’m sure you can find it. It was posted here as well. And here we go with the what about. So I can’t call out Fauci without calling out Trump? How many anti Trump posts do I have to post before I can critique someone like Fauci, or AOC? And yea I remember what a trump said. And? Do you remember what Biden said? About a president having that many people die during their presidency? That they shouldn’t be president anymore? We can do this all day. It’s a waste of time. All these people say stupid shit and never own up to it. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Trump is being blamed on these boards. I’m not providing a link for Faucis statement on masks at the start of the pandemic. I’m sure you can find it. It was posted here as well. And here we go with the what about. So I can’t call out Fauci without calling out Trump? How many anti Trump posts do I have to post before I can critique someone like Fauci, or AOC? And yea I remember what a trump said. And? Do you remember what Biden said? About a president having that many people die during their presidency? That they shouldn’t be president anymore? We can do this all day. It’s a waste of time. All these people say stupid shit and never own up to it. 
    That's what I thought. When pressed you can't back it up.

You call Fauci's statements a "lie" and the majority of people accept his explanation.  

While Fauci, along with several other US health leaders, initially advised people not to wear masks, Fauci later said that he was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough protective equipment for health care workers. This was also early in the pandemic before public health experts fully knew how contagious the disease was and how it spread.
    Fauci explained that at that time, “we were not aware that 40 to 45% of people were asymptomatic, nor were we aware that a substantial proportion of people who get infected get infected from people who are without symptoms. That makes it overwhelmingly important for everyone to wear a mask.”  
    “So when people say, ‘Well, why did you change your stance? And why are you emphasizing masks so much now when back then you didn't -- and in fact you even said you shouldn't because there was a shortage of masks?’ Well the data now are very, very clear,” he said.    
    “We need to put that nonsense behind us about ‘well, they keep changing their minds,’ ” Fauci said.    
    As to Fauci’s other comments, while he occasionally sought to reassure Americans in the very early days of the virus, he consistently advised to follow CDC guidelines and that things could change. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

You call Fauci's statements a "lie" and the majority of people accept his explanation.  

While Fauci, along with several other US health leaders, initially advised people not to wear masks, Fauci later said that he was concerned that there wouldn’t be enough protective equipment for health care workers. This was also early in the pandemic before public health experts fully knew how contagious the disease was and how it spread.
    Fauci explained that at that time, “we were not aware that 40 to 45% of people were asymptomatic, nor were we aware that a substantial proportion of people who get infected get infected from people who are without symptoms. That makes it overwhelmingly important for everyone to wear a mask.”  
    “So when people say, ‘Well, why did you change your stance? And why are you emphasizing masks so much now when back then you didn't -- and in fact you even said you shouldn't because there was a shortage of masks?’ Well the data now are very, very clear,” he said.    
    “We need to put that nonsense behind us about ‘well, they keep changing their minds,’ ” Fauci said.    
    As to Fauci’s other comments, while he occasionally sought to reassure Americans in the very early days of the virus, he consistently advised to follow CDC guidelines and that things could change. 
    What exactly didn’t I back up? By not doing a google search for you? A lie is a lie. Some agree with the reasoning. Others don’t. What is it to you? Does everyone need to share your opinion on it? Your post proves absolutely nothing. And doesn’t address any of my prior post. At all. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

What exactly didn’t I back up? By not doing a google search for you? A lie is a lie. Some agree with the reasoning. Others don’t. What is it to you? Does everyone need to share your opinion on it? Your post proves absolutely nothing. And doesn’t address any of my prior post. At all. 
    it's not a lie if the data at the time bears it out. if it changes, doesn't make it a lie. makes it a mistake. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I guess I just find it interesting that you call out Fauci for his explainable "lie" and don't address the bullshit that tRump spewed out during the same time period. The suggestion on live TV that introducing light to our internal organs or introducing disinfectants to our bodies might be something that would help, etc.

Seems like Fauci's statement pales in comparison to me but carry on.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    BCs covid test yesterday - asked me if I am first responder or front line health care worker.

That was all. Didn't confirm my name, ID or appointment.

So they just want data to know how those systems will hold up I guess.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

it's not a lie if the data at the time bears it out. if it changes, doesn't make it a lie. makes it a mistake. 
    exactly....and to continue to push that narrative almost two years after the fact just doesn't make sense to me. Seems like a Tucker Carlson diatribe.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I guess I just find it interesting that you call out Fauci for his explainable "lie" and don't address the bullshit that tRump spewed out during the same time period. The suggestion on live TV that introducing light to our internal organs or introducing disinfectants to our bodies might be something that would help, etc.

people can criticize biden or fauci or anyone else, even if they haven't addressed every single one of trump's wrongdoings.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    The going social media theory is that it's the vaccinated that are spreading covid because they're overly secure in the vaccination and are out spreading it by gathering, etc. I don't doubt there's some truth to this. That said, my observation is that the unvaccinated have always been out gathering, living their lives, and "not living in fear" from day one. Therefore, I'd suspect that they're still doing more than their share of the spreading...just not by as wide of a margin as was the case prior to omicron.

I highly doubt there's any true knowledge of this, though.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

people can criticize biden or fauci or anyone else, even if they haven't addressed every single one of trump's wrongdoings.  
    No no no no no. Not allowed here. It’s literally the number one answer here anytime someone without a (R) next to their name is slightly critiqued. It’s always what about trump. Or you haven’t criticized trump enough. Weird. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No no no no no. Not allowed here. It’s literally the number one answer here anytime someone without a (R) next to their name is slightly critiqued. It’s always what about trump. Or you haven’t criticized trump enough. Weird. 
    LOL....it just seems like there is so much else to criticize that it was surprising that you would bring up the "lie" that Fauci explained. Yet ignore the ridiculous statements that from tRump that are still getting people killed.

And "not allowed here"? I'm not preventing you from posting. If my responses bother you I'm sorry.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

LOL....it just seems like there is so much else to criticize that it was surprising that you would bring up the "lie" that Fauci explained. Yet ignore the ridiculous statements that from tRump that are still getting people killed.

And "not allowed here"? I'm not preventing you from posting. If my responses bother you I'm sorry.
    Don’t be sorry. Honestly. I don’t ignore anything that trump said. I just don’t run here to join in on the constant discussion about him. I can’t stand him and couldn’t think of a bigger waste of time. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

it's just exhausting reading the constant "but what about trump". so many people here bitch and moan about whataboutisms, but ever since trump came around, the biggest one is about him. you literally aren't allowed to question anyone without it becoming about trump. fauci's mask thing has zero to do with trump. 

both criticisms are valid discussion in their own right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

it's just exhausting reading the constant "but what about trump". so many people here bitch and moan about whataboutisms, but ever since trump came around, the biggest one is about him. you literally aren't allowed to question anyone without it becoming about trump. fauci's mask thing has zero to do with trump. 

both criticisms are valid discussion in their own right. 
    I agree. That’s all I’m trying to say. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah I'm big on whataboutisms but it just seems like such an explainable situation (to prevent health care workers from not having proper protection) that it is justified.

But whatever.  Let's discredit Fauci as much as possible because that helps.

• Options
  • Options
    Yeah I'm big on whataboutisms but it just seems like such an explainable situation (to prevent health care workers from not having proper protection) that it is justified.

helps what? are helping solve the covid crisis here? I think it's a good discussion to have, because until nick brought it up, I hadn't seen fauci's quote about masking data/theory in the early days vs now. I think honestly it's great for people to see that. Myself included. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

helps what? are helping solve the covid crisis here? I think it's a good discussion to have, because until nick brought it up, I hadn't seen fauci's quote about masking data/theory in the early days vs now. I think honestly it's great for people to see that. Myself included. 
    So do you think his explanation was acceptable?

It's like the Maddow clip I brought up the other day that I keep seeing everywhere. In the early days of the vaccine the reports were that the vaccinated would not carry the virus to pass to others. Now we know that is wrong yet the right is going on and on about how Maddow lied to discredit her.  

Same with Fauci. In the very early response he said something incorrect that he corrected very soon after that. Yet here we are calling him a liar.

Doesn't make sense to me but whatever.  Carry on.

Fuck Fauci! He must be stupid because he says masks don't help!

• Options

It's like the Maddow clip I brought up the other day that I keep seeing everywhere. In the early days of the vaccine the reports were that the vaccinated would not carry the virus to pass to others. Now we know that is wrong yet the right is going on and on about how Maddow lied to discredit her.  

Same with Fauci. In the very early response he said something incorrect that he corrected very soon after that. Yet here we are calling him a liar.

I think his explanation is absolutely acceptable. that's how science works. new data brings new discoveries. but media feeds us drama. we all get trapped into it. all of us. I've been guilty of it. I'm sure you have too. I simply did not know that quote existed. And then we'll get the usual "well stop watching CNN/Fox/MSNBC" or "get your news from reputable sources" or some other passive insult (not from you, in general). 

like I said before, I had no problem with fauci before when I thought maybe it was a lie to keep supplies with those who needed them. Because honestly, in real time, when Canada's Theresa Tamm did the same thing, but the 180 pivot was literally days apart (if I'm remembering correctly), it seemed suspect and I knew that was going to cause so much confusion. 

so I get why people question those at the helm telling us these things. But I also understand why/how it happened. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Fauci lost all credibility by not being forthcoming about the fact that the NIH helped fund the Wuhan lab's research. He kept pushing that the virus was likely not man-made, and he was always eager to speculate that the virus came from the Wuhan wet market. Other scientists had their research/opinions censored on social media due to having hypotheses that contradict Fauci.

I don't see how anyone can even give a crap about Fauci at this point. On either side. I don't see the point of respecting his guidance or recommendations, nor do I see the point in vilifying him. Heck with him. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Fauci lost all credibility by not being forthcoming about the fact that the NIH helped fund the Wuhan lab's research. He kept pushing that the virus was likely not man-made, and he was always eager to speculate that the virus came from the Wuhan wet market. Other scientists had their research/opinions censored on social media due to having hypotheses that contradict Fauci.

I don't see how anyone can even give a crap about Fauci at this point. On either side. I don't see the point of respecting his guidance or recommendations, nor do I see the point in vilifying him. Heck with him. 
    I'm really not a Fauci fanboy....I just don't get the hatred.

If Fauci said that the virus was "likely not man-made" who gives a shit? That doesn't change how we respond to it unless you think we should bomb Wuhan.

• Options

I remember listening to Fauci explain that he didn't want N95 masks going to regular people, because they wouldn't get in the hands of people that really need them.  That is definitely true.  I couldn't believe he said that.

People have a hard time believing him now because of something like that.

Nick is right about masks being bought up in droves and sent to China.  I couldn't find ANY for my men.  Got lucky w one vendor and rationed those until a month later when new shipments were coming in.
  • Options

I remember listening to Fauci explain that he didn't want N95 masks going to regular people, because they wouldn't get in the hands of people that really need them.  That is definitely true.  I couldn't believe he said that.

Nick is right about masks being bought up in droves and sent to China.  I couldn't find ANY for my men.  Got lucky w one vendor and rationed those until a month later when new shipments were coming in.
    But does a comment that Fauci made that was soon backtracked/corrected really have anything to do with N95 masks being sent to China in January 2020? That's what Nick said. Fauci made his statement on March 8, 2020 right?

• Options

I'm really not a Fauci fanboy....I just don't get the hatred.

If Fauci said that the virus was "likely not man-made" who gives a shit? That doesn't change how we respond to it unless you think we should bomb Wuhan.
    The pandemic is the most significant thing to happen in our lifetimes. Lack of transparency regarding it from the most notable public health official is pretty outrageous. And if your thoughts on that are “who gives a shit” because that’s already done and over with and now we’re stuck with the virus, then by all means, don’t give a shit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

But does a comment that Fauci made that was soon backtracked/corrected really have anything to do with N95 masks being sent to China in January 2020? That's what Nick said. Fauci made his statement on March 8, 2020 right?

It didn’t matter by March 8. No big vendors had any 3M n95 masks in stock by mid January.