Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,749
    A Pistol In Every Pew will be the new slogan. 

"Is that a pistol I see in your pew or are you just happy to see me?"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    mace1229 said:
    Am I misinterpreting these comments, or are we making fun of this shooting because it was a church and in the south? 

location doesnt matter. if the answer to school shootings is arm the teachers surely the answer to church shootings is to arm the choir or pastor/priest.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,633
    What is wrong with Tejas? Cornyn gets booed for supporting minor gun safety regulation in the senate by the Tejas Repub Convention attendees and Abbott & Costello goes missing on the authoritarians in Uvalde hiring attorneys to keep records, communications and related information regarding the school shooting from public scrutiny. What did the parents who sent their kids to school that day do to deserve to be treated in such a manner?

Move to Tejas? Are you out of your freaking mind? And I bet they call themselves Christians.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,553
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Am I misinterpreting these comments, or are we making fun of this shooting because it was a church and in the south? 

location doesnt matter. if the answer to school shootings is arm the teachers surely the answer to church shootings is to arm the choir or pastor/priest.
    Let's get it over with and arm everyone

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,507
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Have we examined the door situation at the church? We’re there too many? Not enough? Did someone forget to lock one? 
  • Options
    Rap music, video games, BLM, Chicago, Antifa and illegal immigrants are probably to blame for this shooting too. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Some churches do have armed security. A year or 2 ago a shooter was killed by a church member before he fatally shot anyone, and I seem to remember people making fun of that guy bringing a gun to church. Now we’re making fun of them not..
    The people in this church have nothing to do with other shootings. I certainly don’t know how they feel arming teachers. It just comes across like several here are enjoying the fact that a church was a target, probably because it was mostly conservative.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Some churches do have armed security. A year or 2 ago a shooter was killed by a church member before he fatally shot anyone, and I seem to remember people making fun of that guy bringing a gun to church. Now we’re making fun of them not..
    The people in this church have nothing to do with other shootings. I certainly don’t know how they feel arming teachers. It just comes across like several here are enjoying the fact that a church was a target, probably because it was mostly conservative.
    i think you are reading way too much into it. these shootings happen every single day, and everything the gop has suggested has not worked to stop any of it, except for the odd time that a good person with a gun actually pulls it out and stops the bad guy.

this inaction on gun violence, aside from slavery, is the greatest scourge of this country.

sometimes we have to laugh to keep from crying. it is a constant cycle of trauma with no time in between shootings to process and recover from it. laughter is the only thing that helps.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts & prayers. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Someone here enjoyed the fact that there was a shooting in a church?   I must have missed something here.  Yeah, there have been a few seemingly humorous posts, but I don't think anybody here thinks shootings are enjoyable.  Sometimes laughter is a response to disgust, or being fed up, or sad.  I think most of us here are sick to death of this American infatuation with guns and a propensity toward violence.  It's a sickness that generates no enjoyment.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts & prayers. 

and the shooter is white, so of course he was taken in to custody.......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts & prayers. 

Perfect example of what I just said.  That struck me as funny.  But sometimes you have to laugh when you are sick of the killing. 

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited June 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts & prayers. 

If there was a cop shooting and I was told to guess the race of the person killed by the police I would guess Caucasian.  

I get that there are more white people in the USA but the statement you made seems strong when the facts are that every year more white people are killed by police.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts & prayers. 

If there was a cop shooting and I was told to guess the race of the person killed by the police I would guess Caucasian.  

I get that there are more white people in the USA but the statement you made seems strong when the facts are that every year more white people are killed by police.  

as a percentage of that population? and it does seem to bode well for a mass shooter if he's white. unless they kill themselves...

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    edited June 2022
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Someone here enjoyed the fact that there was a shooting in a church?   I must have missed something here.  Yeah, there have been a few seemingly humorous posts, but I don't think anybody here thinks shootings are enjoyable.  Sometimes laughter is a response to disgust, or being fed up, or sad.  I think most of us here are sick to death of this American infatuation with guns and a propensity toward violence.  It's a sickness that generates no enjoyment.
    Not enjoying that there was another shooting, but relishing in the fact it was a church, a group associated with conservatives and pro-gun. More like a reap what you sew attitude. And I don’t think you made a joke about it, but there were quite a few.
    Thats how it comes across to me when every single comment was either a joke or sarcasm. Almost as if these victims are responsible for the door comments at the school. I get these are happening a lot, and something you have to laugh instead of cry. But why is the only time no one seems upset and are making jokes instead is when this happened to a church?
    There are bigger mass shootings every weekend, one in the city I live in last week. So I’m just saying to pick this one to post and make jokes about comes across to me as mocking this group because they are most likely conservatives. That’s just my impression.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Not enjoying that there was another shooting, but relishing in the fact it was a church, a group associated with conservatives and pro-gun. More like a reap what you sew attitude. And I don’t think you made a joke about it, but there were quite a few.
    Thats how it comes across to me when every single comment was either a joke or sarcasm. Almost as if these victims are responsible for the door comments at the school. I get these are happening a lot, and something you have to laugh instead of cry. But why is the only time no one seems upset and are making jokes instead is when this happened to a church?
    There are bigger mass shootings every weekend, one in the city I live in last week. So I’m just saying to pick this one to post and make jokes about comes across to me as mocking this group because they are most likely conservatives. That’s just my impression.
    "Not enjoying that there was another shooting, but relishing in the fact it was a church, a group associated with conservatives and pro-gun. More like a reap what you sew attitude."
    Well, maybe so.  I sure hope not.  I know there are folks here who are highly critical of the church- even myself in some respects- but I don't get a sense that anyone here relishes that idea of church goes in general being shot and killed.  I mean, you know, Martin Luther King was a church goer, right?  I was once.  Please, nobody shoot me!

In any case, if anyone here does find some kind of off-hand pleasure about church goers being shot and killed, I would challenge them to be honest and come out and say it.  I'm hoping this challenge will be met with honest silence, not avoidance.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981

Good guy with a gun....or bad guy? Who the fuck knows until the shooting starts?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

Good guy with a gun....or bad guy? Who the fuck knows until the shooting starts?
    That's one of the fun things about the predicament we're in. 

He's a law abiding gun owner until he opens fire on everyone, and by that point it's too late to do anything to prevent it. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801

Man that is INSANE. My uncle is in England right now and the most commonly asked question he’s getting is “aren’t you scared of getting shot everyday?” 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Man that is INSANE. My uncle is in England right now and the most commonly asked question he’s getting is “aren’t you scared of getting shot everyday?” 
    It is insane. What if 20 armed idiots showed up walking around like that? Perfectly legal.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

It is insane. What if 20 armed idiots showed up walking around like that? Perfectly legal.
    We face a lot of problems here in NYC but man am I grateful to not have people walking around looking like Rambo. 
  • Options
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/month-uvalde-shooting-questions-unanswered/story?id=85510718&cid=social_twitter_abcn

1) Was the door to the classroom locked?

Since the very first days after the attack, law enforcement officials have said their response was stymied by the very measure enacted to keep children safe during an active shooter event: a locked door. Officials have said that the gunman entered into the classroom and immediately locked the door behind him, keeping officers outside of the room while they waited for backup, supplies, and a key that could open the "hardened" door that was unable to be kicked in.

The gunman was left inside the classroom for 77 minutes as 19 officers waited in the hallway -- and many more waited outside the building -- after the incident commander wrongly believed the situation had transitioned from an active shooter to a barricaded subject, law enforcement has said.

The incident commander, Uvalde School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo, said in an interview that he waited in the hallway as a janitor brought dozens of keys, which he tried on an adjacent classroom door in search of a master key -- but none worked. Eventually a working one came.

But now surveillance video shows that police never tried to open the door to the classroom the gunman was in, according to a report from the San Antonio Express News that has been confirmed by sources to ABC News, although ABC News did not review the footage. While the classroom doors at the school are designed to lock automatically when they close, according to the report, new evidence suggests that the door may have been unlocked the entire time, despite the police assuming it was locked.

Officers in the hallway also had access to a "crowbar-like tool" which could have opened the door regardless of whether it was locked or not, the report said.

So...still being confirmed but this is disturbing

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/month-uvalde-shooting-questions-unanswered/story?id=85510718&cid=social_twitter_abcn

1) Was the door to the classroom locked?

Since the very first days after the attack, law enforcement officials have said their response was stymied by the very measure enacted to keep children safe during an active shooter event: a locked door. Officials have said that the gunman entered into the classroom and immediately locked the door behind him, keeping officers outside of the room while they waited for backup, supplies, and a key that could open the "hardened" door that was unable to be kicked in.

The gunman was left inside the classroom for 77 minutes as 19 officers waited in the hallway -- and many more waited outside the building -- after the incident commander wrongly believed the situation had transitioned from an active shooter to a barricaded subject, law enforcement has said.

The incident commander, Uvalde School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo, said in an interview that he waited in the hallway as a janitor brought dozens of keys, which he tried on an adjacent classroom door in search of a master key -- but none worked. Eventually a working one came.

But now surveillance video shows that police never tried to open the door to the classroom the gunman was in, according to a report from the San Antonio Express News that has been confirmed by sources to ABC News, although ABC News did not review the footage. While the classroom doors at the school are designed to lock automatically when they close, according to the report, new evidence suggests that the door may have been unlocked the entire time, despite the police assuming it was locked.

Officers in the hallway also had access to a "crowbar-like tool" which could have opened the door regardless of whether it was locked or not, the report said.

So...still being confirmed but this is disturbing

Makes you happy to live in a society where a majority of city budgets goes to the police.  We are doomed!

WTF
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-open-doors-uvalde-classrooms-shooter-inside-source/story?id=85494335

In a new twist in the Uvalde elementary school mass shooting, a source has confirmed to ABC News that as police waited for more than an hour in a hallway outside the classrooms where a gunman killed 19 students and two teachers, none of the officers checked to see if the doors to the classrooms were locked.

The new development in the investigation of the shooting came just days after Chief Pete Arredondo of the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police, the incident commander during the May 24 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School, defended his actions and claimed the delay in breaching connecting classrooms 111 and 112, where the gunman was holed up was because he was waiting for a janitor to get the key to the door.

But surveillance footage showed that neither Arredondo nor any other officers taking cover in the hallway outside the classrooms ever attempted to open the door before receiving the keys to the two connecting classrooms. That means there were 77 minutes between when the alleged 18-year-old gunman entered the school through an unlocked door and when police fatally shot him, a source with knowledge of the investigation told ABC News.

The San Antonio Express News was the first to report on Saturday that Arredondo and his team allegedly never check the classroom doors to determine if they were unlocked.

The sources confirmed to ABC News that investigators now believe the alleged gunman, Salvador Ramos, could not have locked the doors to the classrooms from inside as officials first suspected. In the surveillance footage, the sources said, it appears Ramos, 18, was able to open the door to classroom 111 from the outside, the source said. That classroom is connected to the adjacent classroom 112 by a short corridor where a restroom is located, officials have previously said.

Whether the doors to the classrooms where the slayings occurred were unlocked through the entire episode remains under investigation.

In a June 6 interview with ABC News’ Amy Robach, Robb Elementary School teacher Arnulfo Reyes, who was wounded in the shooting that killed 11 of his students, said that prior to the rampage he complained to the school's principal that the door to his room, 111, did not latch properly during security checks. He said the door was supposed to remain shut and lock automatically.

"When that would happen, I would tell my principal, 'Hey, I'm going to get in trouble again, they're going to come and tell you that I left my door unlocked, which I didn't,'" Reyes said in the interview. "But the latch was stuck. So, it was just an easy fix."

In an interview with the Texas Tribune published June 9, Arredondo, who was recently sworn in as a Uvalde City Council member, said he spent more than an hour in the school hallway calling for tactical gear, a sniper and keys to get inside the classroom.

He claimed he and multiple officers with him in the hallway took cover away from the classroom doors for 40 minutes to avoid being struck by bullets the suspect, armed with an AR-15 style rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, fired through the door.

The Texas Department of Public Safety said three Uvalde police officers who initially ran into the school to confront the gunman were fired on through the door and two suffered graze wounds.

Law enforcement officers from multiple agencies in the area converged on the school and began evacuating children from other classrooms and away from the two rooms where the gunman was holed up. Video and photos from the scene, showed children being pulled through broken windows and running out of harm's way.

Arredondo claimed in the interview with the Texas Tribune that a custodian finally brought him a large key ring with dozens of the keys attached but none worked. Sources familiar with the investigation claimed that while searching for a master key, Arredondo tried the janitor's keys on a door out of harm's way on a nearby classroom.

While Arredondo waited for the keys and a tactical team to gear up and reach the scene, students and teachers trapped in the classrooms with the gunman made at least seven desperate 911 calls asking for help.

Arredondo told the Texas Tribune that he didn't bring his radios with him to the scene, claiming time was of the essence and that he wanted to have his hands free.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

We face a lot of problems here in NYC but man am I grateful to not have people walking around looking like Rambo. 
    Slightly off subject but what do think of new Mayor Adams?  I know you had hoped for some changes, etc. and he does seem very present, vocal, and visible but you’re a true New Yorker so just wondering how you feel about him so far?  
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Slightly off subject but what do think of new Mayor Adams?  I know you had hoped for some changes, etc. and he does seem very present, vocal, and visible but you’re a true New Yorker so just wondering how you feel about him so far?  
    It’s still early but he’s easily the best of the bunch that were running on the dem side. He seems intent on being tough on crime and he’s not afraid to call out things. He’s called out BLMs absence when it comes to black on black gun crime in cities and has also said we’re failing these communities greatly, which I absolutely agree. He’s extremely present and active and way better than De Blasio who was just awful imo. But , it’s still early and he has a very tough job ahead of him. I confidently voted for him and still feel he’s the best one for the job in this moment. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,403
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It’s still early but he’s easily the best of the bunch that were running on the dem side. He seems intent on being tough on crime and he’s not afraid to call out things. He’s called out BLMs absence when it comes to black on black gun crime in cities and has also said we’re failing these communities greatly, which I absolutely agree. He’s extremely present and active and way better than De Blasio who was just awful imo. But , it’s still early and he has a very tough job ahead of him. I confidently voted for him and still feel he’s the best one for the job in this moment. 
    Thanks.  I agree that it’s early.  Sometimes no matter what good intentions people have they can be so diminished by others that it’s easy to just give up.  I hope that doesn’t happen to Adams and all who voted hoping for change.
      I also hope you remain safe and diligent.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Thanks.  I agree that it’s early.  Sometimes no matter what good intentions people have they can be so diminished by others that it’s easy to just give up.  I hope that doesn’t happen to Adams and all who voted hoping for change.
      I also hope you remain safe and diligent.  
    Me too! It seems he’s staying the path and not buckling to others within the party. A moderate Dem will always be what’s best for this city, imo. And thank you! 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Even here is Canada there is security at all synagogues, and many mosques (not Churches as far as I know). The Jewish and Muslim communities are worried about racists, essentially. I didn't know this until a Jewish co-worker of mine was telling me about her wedding. She mentioned how she had to pay for the security, and I was like, "the what??" She told me that she was literally required to pay for security during her wedding at the synagogue - the price is built into the reservation fees. So then I found out that all synagogues have this security now (and she said she believes it's the same for at least some mosques). I was really surprised, but I get it. Since Trump happened, hate crimes have exploded.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    you are misinterpreting these comments. every shooting is horrific, no matter when/where/to whom. the comments/jokes made are not about the victims; they are in response to the GOP's usual "solution" to these violent acts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.