Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    hedonist said:
    My husband and I are ready to sell our LA condo and move to a small town where people just are…and not trying to control others’ bodies OR minds. Everything not politicized, simplicity in living, people not worrying about what others are up to, not the never-ending narcissism that seems to be everywhere. And access to great medical care.

It’d be cheaper, less stressful. Less crime too. 
    I'm not here to criticize your choice of location, but I do find some of this counterintuitive. Anecdotally, everyone I've known from small towns (including my wife) have told me that it's there that people are worried about what others are up to. And everyone knows all the faults of everyone else's families. In my large-suburb upbringing (which, don't get me wrong; has its faults), I don't think anyone had any clue who my family was (nor how many alcoholics it had).  I think I was under far less of a microscope than my small-town wife. Now, that was all well before our current political climate.  

I'm also curious about access to great medical care...that may be true for some smaller places, I suppose, but by-and-large that can be a problem in smaller places...particularly places very far from any city.

Again, I'm not here to suggest you should not move to a smaller place...just surprised by some of the rationale.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    mace, good on ya. To which state are you moving?
    Knoxville, TN. Been away from family for a long time. My wife’s family is almost all in Clemson SC, so only a 3 hour drive now
    To follow on my above post...OK...also depends on how small...
    ...This is hardly a tiny villiage.

I could suggest Rochester, Minnesota if you want safe and good healthcare (though not if you want good weather).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Move back east, Hedo. I know of a nice fixer upper hitting the market in a while. And it’s in beautiful small city in a neighboring state. Nice beaches around. Good calamari. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:
    My husband and I are ready to sell our LA condo and move to a small town where people just are…and not trying to control others’ bodies OR minds. Everything not politicized, simplicity in living, people not worrying about what others are up to, not the never-ending narcissism that seems to be everywhere. And access to great medical care.

I'm not here to criticize your choice of location, but I do find some of this counterintuitive. Anecdotally, everyone I've known from small towns (including my wife) have told me that it's there that people are worried about what others are up to. And everyone knows all the faults of everyone else's families. In my large-suburb upbringing (which, don't get me wrong; has its faults), I don't think anyone had any clue who my family was (nor how many alcoholics it had).  I think I was under far less of a microscope than my small-town wife. Now, that was all well before our current political climate.  

I'm also curious about access to great medical care...that may be true for some smaller places, I suppose, but by-and-large that can be a problem in smaller places...particularly places very far from any city.

Again, I'm not here to suggest you should not move to a smaller place...just surprised by some of the rationale.
    I was born and have lived here my entire life and while I love my city, I’ve come to detest many parts of it — including many of the people. In a small town, I don’t care who knows my business; just don’t infringe upon my way of life.

And yeah, good medical care is a must for me. My life literally depends on it!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    hedonist said:

My S/O and I have been thinking the same thing for a lot of the same reasons but moving to a more progressive city i.e. Boulder, Madison, Austin, Asheville, etc. I've already lived in Boulder but due to real estate costs it's no longer in consideration. Austin is out because it's in a shithole state with a shithead governor. Madison too cold. Asheville is still an option but once again a shithole state with a shithead governor.
    So we turned our attention to Southern Europe. Italy, Portugal, and Spain to be specific. We have done a ton of research and came up with many positives and very few negatives. We were supposed to go over this summer for in person research but have to postpone till next year.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    hedonist said:

My S/O and I have been thinking the same thing for a lot of the same reasons but moving to a more progressive city i.e. Boulder, Madison, Austin, Asheville, etc. I've already lived in Boulder but due to real estate costs it's no longer in consideration. Austin is out because it's in a shithole state with a shithead governor. Madison too cold. Asheville is still an option but once again a shithole state with a shithead governor.
    So we turned our attention to Southern Europe. Italy, Portugal, and Spain to be specific. We have done a ton of research and came up with many positives and very few negatives. We were supposed to go over this summer for in person research but have to postpone till next year.
    If you have the money and can go anywhere, go to the Caribbean.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    hedonist said:

North Carolina is amazing…and Asheville might be the crown jewel. What do you not like about their governor? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    hedonist said:

North Carolina is amazing…and Asheville might be the crown jewel. What do you not like about their governor? 
    (Since nobody asked)...

I don't even know who the governor is.  I think NC is probably a better place than some of the other states being talked about. It's an up-and-coming place with varying metros/cities/towns in terms of size and a variety of people coming in. I'm sure there are spots I'd rather not be in but there are definitely places this libtard could consider.

Asheville's supposed to be great...probably too small for me to want to live in...but we're talking about people looking for a smaller place and based on what I've read, this is probably a top-ten (depending on what size range we're using).
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:

(Since nobody asked)...

I don't even know who the governor is.  I think NC is probably a better place than some of the other states being talked about. It's an up-and-coming place with varying metros/cities/towns in terms of size and a variety of people coming in. I'm sure there are spots I'd rather not be in but there are definitely places this libtard could consider.

Asheville's supposed to be great...probably too small for me to want to live in...but we're talking about people looking for a smaller place and based on what I've read, this is probably a top-ten (depending on what size range we're using).
    Asheville is already too expensive.  Great place though.  My cousin moved there and loves it.  Think Austin w less traffic and better weather.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Nice thought but too hot.
    Some of the factors we are taking into consideration is access to high quality, but not expensive (universal) health-care. Easy access to intl.airports for world travel. Lower overall cost of living. Less or little to no guns everywhere. Nice warm weather most of the year. Easy access to locally produced food products.

Asheville is no.1 on our American list due to the progressive nature of the community. I misspoke about the gov. I have a cousin who retired there from NYC 10 years ago and loves it except for the state politics.But still a republican state not to mention Asheville is in the district that elected madison cawthorn. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Some of the factors we are taking into consideration is access to high quality, but not expensive (universal) health-care. Easy access to intl.airports for world travel. Lower overall cost of living. Less or little to no guns everywhere. Nice warm weather most of the year. Easy access to locally produced food products.

Asheville is no.1 on our American list due to the progressive nature of the community. I misspoke about the gov. I have a cousin who retired there from NYC 10 years ago and loves it except for the state politics.But still a republican state not to mention Asheville is in the district that elected madison cawthorn. 
    Barbados has all of that but like you said, the heat...

If I get to move out of country again I'm going back there.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:

I was born and have lived here my entire life and while I love my city, I’ve come to detest many parts of it — including many of the people. In a small town, I don’t care who knows my business; just don’t infringe upon my way of life.

You may want to look at Pittsburgh.  Medical facilities are unreal and although people think “city” it’s anything but.  If you blink crossing one of the main bridges you’ll miss the city….teeny tiny city and the reason many pro athletes stay or move back is because Pittsburghers really don’t give a crap about anyones business…just stay out of ours and everything will be fine.  The city really doesn’t have too many residents- it was built for people to leave the city at the end of the day, not live there.  Right now the north hills would be where I would recommend. 
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I just read that Brooklyn had a no questions asked buy back where they offered $400 in gift cards and an iPad mini for a firearm. Collected 2,000 of them with long guns sent to NJ to be shredded and hand guns sent to a steel foundry in PA to be melted down. 1/5th of one month’s gun sales in NY State.
    That’s sounds interesting, and will have to check out anything closer to me in OH
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:

You may want to look at Pittsburgh.  Medical facilities are unreal and although people think “city” it’s anything but.  If you blink crossing one of the main bridges you’ll miss the city….teeny tiny city and the reason many pro athletes stay or move back is because Pittsburghers really don’t give a crap about anyones business…just stay out of ours and everything will be fine.  The city really doesn’t have too many residents- it was built for people to leave the city at the end of the day, not live there.  Right now the north hills would be where I would recommend. 
    I used to live an hour or so south in Uniontown.  I quite liked it there.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    hedonist said:

I have had a few clients retire to Mexico and love it. The area they live in has a lot of US expats. AC/Heat unnecessary due to climate. They claim that their social security benefits are enough to pay the bills and provide leftover funds for entertainment, etc. Other retirement income is used for travel.

I had looked up their area before and it looks like any suburb in the US. Strips with PetSmart/Best Buy/etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Too many badly dressed Americans
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

You’ll get that anywhere in the US, too 😂
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:

So Chris fits right in.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I have had a few clients retire to Mexico and love it. The area they live in has a lot of US expats. AC/Heat unnecessary due to climate. They claim that their social security benefits are enough to pay the bills and provide leftover funds for entertainment, etc. Other retirement income is used for travel.

I had looked up their area before and it looks like any suburb in the US. Strips with PetSmart/Best Buy/etc.
    How/d they get the places?  Do they rent?  I thought you couldn't buy in Mexico unless you were a citizen?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

So Chris fits right in.
    HA!  They thought I was rich.
    Effin Cotton GIF - Effin Cotton Dodgeball - Discover  Share GIFs
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited June 2022
    hedonist said:

How/d they get the places?  Do they rent?  I thought you couldn't buy in Mexico unless you were a citizen?
    Client is a retired couple whose daughter married a Mexican national. They decided to move down there to be close to daughter/grandchild.

I don't think there is any restriction on ownership other than not being able to buy within certain distances of shorelines and borders.

They have a UPS box that they rent in Houston that serves as their US contact. They also mentioned something about the internet where they have to have some sort of hotspot that they pay for in TX so that when they log in they are sourced in the US for banking, etc.

I still do their US tax return and just send it via docushare for signatures, etc. 

I was mostly blown away with the climate they described. They said they used fans on the hotter days but it just never gets hot or cold enough to be uncomfortable. I forget exactly where they live but it must be a higher elevation.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I just read that Brooklyn had a no questions asked buy back where they offered $400 in gift cards and an iPad mini for a firearm. Collected 2,000 of them with long guns sent to NJ to be shredded and hand guns sent to a steel foundry in PA to be melted down. 1/5th of one month’s gun sales in NY State.

I wonder how many of those guns were worth $200 or less. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,657
    mace1229 said:

What's a Desert Eagle go for? How about an AR15 with a sawed off stock? 9mm? S&W revolver? A hammydown rifle (is that a hand me down rifle)? All used of course. Maybe never fired? Maybe not?

What does "worth" have to do with it? In getting guns off the street?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    mace1229 said:

What's a Desert Eagle go for? How about an AR15 with a sawed off stock? 9mm? S&W revolver? A hammydown rifle (is that a hand me down rifle)? All used of course. Maybe never fired? Maybe not?

Is $400 worth the price of a child?  Pretty cheap I’d say.  How in the world can the worth of the gun matter…you’re always so right httm 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Is $400 worth the price of a child?  Pretty cheap I’d say.  How in the world can the worth of the gun matter…you’re always so right httm 
    I’m thinking if I’m a criminal and desperate for a firearm and one of these “responsible” gun owners wanted to sell it to me, how much would I pay? Or if I weren’t a criminal but someone who had taken out an insurance policy on a cheating spouse and didn’t want the firearm linked to me, how much would you pay? Or if it was purchased for a friend of a friend of a friend, what would the market bear? I suspect more than $200.00. Particular in NYC in the heat of a moment.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Two gun stores in all of Manhattan, with a population of 1.63 million, one of which sells a $20,000 big game rifle with two triggers. Maybe that was one that was turned in at the buy back?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2021/08/16/take-a-look-inside-beretta-gallery-one-of-the-last-gun-stores-in-nyc/
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I never said it was a bad idea or a bad program. Just wondering. If this was a common thing, I’d buy every gun under $250 I see and get $400 and an iPad.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I never said it was a bad idea or a bad program. Just wondering. If this was a common thing, I’d buy every gun under $250 I see and get $400 and an iPad.
    Where do you normally get a gun for less than $250? If you’re a “responsible” gun buyer? Particularly in NYC/NY State? And it’s $400 in gift cards, not cold hard cash ‘Murican.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Where do you normally get a gun for less than $250? If you’re a “responsible” gun buyer? Particularly in NYC/NY State? And it’s $400 in gift cards, not cold hard cash ‘Murican.
    Not too hard. Most gun stores have a used section. Something with a lot of the finish worn off or a little bit of pitting devalues it a lot.
    Heres a Remington RM380 new for $279, I’ve seen it on sale for under $200 during big sale weekends. I bought one when it was $149 a few years ago. Sportsman’s warehouse, one of the biggest sporting stores in the country.
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/remington-rm380-pistol/p/p41813
    Id take $400 in gift cards and an iPad for that.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Not too hard. Most gun stores have a used section. Something with a lot of the finish worn off or a little bit of pitting devalues it a lot.
    Heres a Remington RM380 new for $279, I’ve seen it on sale for under $200 during big sale weekends. I bought one when it was $149 a few years ago. Sportsman’s warehouse, one of the biggest sporting stores in the country.
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/handguns/remington-rm380-pistol/p/p41813
    Id take $400 in gift cards and an iPad for that.
    Willing to travel to Brooklyn to do it? Seems you may have missed your calling? Domestic arms dealer for peace on the streets.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.