Options

Canadians making the trip to Ohana and SHN and the travel rules that goes with it.

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580
    Pipsqueak's packing list... 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,812
    tish said:
    Pipsqueak's packing list... 
    Cute!! Love it. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    The deeper I look into it, the harder it gets. Fastest PCR turnaround you can get is 12 hours. If I got the test at 5pm on Thursday the earliest I can land back in Calgary is 5:25pm on Sunday. 72 hours and 25min. After the test. 

Looks like Plan B it will be. Rapid test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40, fly down Thursday and get the PRC test in California for $125US on Friday morning before the show. Hope neither of us are a “breakthrough” COVID case during the flight and one night in Carlsbad. 

I’m in, my wife may veto this 😂
    It is the departure flights time it goes by. If your flight leaves in LA at 12pm on Sunday for instance you being 1 hour ahead would need a test done after 1pm Calgary time on Thursday.

When and where to get a pre-entry test result

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

I was trying to get the molecular test done in Canada and go to the concerts and return to Canada within 72hrs. From the travel.gc.ca website:

For short trips that are less than 72 hours, Canadian citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons travelling outside of Canada are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• If your test is more than 72 hours old when you re-enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test
    Therefore, you will be back in Canada 25 minutes late. No problem getting on the plane I guess. They will just make me get another test at the airport at home? 
    Interesting. That messes things up for me as well. I am going to email Air Canada and see what they say. I think thought that pertains to land borders but I will try and find out. 
    Cool. I was going to call WestJet myself and get some clarification. 
    I called Canadian border services this morning. She was a bit rude but told me that the 72hrs before re-entering Canada was only for land crossings and the 72hrs needed for flight is departure time so that makes it much easier for us!

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    The deeper I look into it, the harder it gets. Fastest PCR turnaround you can get is 12 hours. If I got the test at 5pm on Thursday the earliest I can land back in Calgary is 5:25pm on Sunday. 72 hours and 25min. After the test. 

Looks like Plan B it will be. Rapid test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40, fly down Thursday and get the PRC test in California for $125US on Friday morning before the show. Hope neither of us are a “breakthrough” COVID case during the flight and one night in Carlsbad. 

It is the departure flights time it goes by. If your flight leaves in LA at 12pm on Sunday for instance you being 1 hour ahead would need a test done after 1pm Calgary time on Thursday.

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

I was trying to get the molecular test done in Canada and go to the concerts and return to Canada within 72hrs. From the travel.gc.ca website:

For short trips that are less than 72 hours, Canadian citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons travelling outside of Canada are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• If your test is more than 72 hours old when you re-enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test
    Therefore, you will be back in Canada 25 minutes late. No problem getting on the plane I guess. They will just make me get another test at the airport at home? 
    Interesting. That messes things up for me as well. I am going to email Air Canada and see what they say. I think thought that pertains to land borders but I will try and find out. 
    I called Canadian border services this morning. She was a bit rude but told me that the 72hrs before re-entering Canada was only for land crossings and the 72hrs needed for flight is departure time so that makes it much easier for us!

Ok well that is great news and does make things far easier!  Not sure why the civil servant had to be rude about it, I think it is a fair question. 
    Thanks for looking into that…. Can definitely meet the 72 hour requirement for departure. 
    Means we will have to land/depart from LAX as opposed to San Diego Airport.  But who cares, the party is on! 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Ok well that is great news and does make things far easier!  Not sure why the civil servant had to be rude about it, I think it is a fair question. 
    Thanks for looking into that…. Can definitely meet the 72 hour requirement for departure. 
    Means we will have to land/depart from LAX as opposed to San Diego Airport.  But who cares, the party is on! 
    5 weeks until our trip now and 3 weeks for those that are doing SHN. Getting pumped for some live shows!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

5 weeks until our trip now and 3 weeks for those that are doing SHN. Getting pumped for some live shows!
    Went to see Captain Tractor, The Dead South, Alan Doyle and Blue Rodeo up in Edmonton last week. I’ve had nothing but Ohana on the brain ever since.  That was our first show in who knows how long. Reminded me of how much I love live music, seeing people dancing and celebrating, the banter between the band and the crowd.  Really was an emotional day for us…. Ohana will take that to another level. 

By the way, if anyone reading this has never seen The Dead South live don’t miss the opportunity. They are from Regina and I would say they are their own genre. They could easily be described as punk bluegrass. Four band members with a banjo, mandolin, acoustic guitar and a cello.  The banjo player has a kick drum used on some songs.  The guy on the cello plays it like a fretless bass and uses the bow occasionally, playing it in a more traditional way.  Just a blast. They are touring Europe and the US from September through next year. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canadian-travellers-fined-5-700-each-for-getting-wrong-covid-19-test-before-returning-from-u-s-1.5560090
    Be very careful what test you get in the US. Have read a number of stories like this one recently. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920
    halv said:
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canadian-travellers-fined-5-700-each-for-getting-wrong-covid-19-test-before-returning-from-u-s-1.5560090
    Be very careful what test you get in the US. Have read a number of stories like this one recently. 
    "She was fined $5,700."  :o  
  • Options
    Alberta just announced folks who received a single AZ vaccination (mRNA as 2nd shot) who are planning to visit countries who don’t recognize the AZ vaccine (like the US) can get third vaccine dose of the recognized mRNA vaccine.  I’ll be booking my wife and I in for a third shot this weekend. 

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 583
    I will be at the festival, not encore. Going down the 22nd, hoping to catch Lumineers that night in santa barbara. Ohana friday, getting test Saturday morning and flying home Monday night. Pray Lumineers or night one ohana does not result in that Saturday test giving a positive result, which would mean staying in usa 14 days........
    By the way, $40 Shoppers test? Crazy, in BC it is $200 for the cheapest test I can find. Anyone know of a better deal?
  • Options
    chitty said:
    I will be at the festival, not encore. Going down the 22nd, hoping to catch Lumineers that night in santa barbara. Ohana friday, getting test Saturday morning and flying home Monday night. Pray Lumineers or night one ohana does not result in that Saturday test giving a positive result, which would mean staying in usa 14 days........
    By the way, $40 Shoppers test? Crazy, in BC it is $200 for the cheapest test I can find. Anyone know of a better deal?
    Cheapest antigen (rapid) test in BC is $200? I know it is called Bring Cash for a reason but that is absurd. 
  • Options
    Your guys province is not testing for travel for free? We can set up an appointment with our regular free testing site that would be the same if we got tested for symptoms in New Brunswick. Can book it 10 days out too. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Your guys province is not testing for travel for free? We can set up an appointment with our regular free testing site that would be the same if we got tested for symptoms in New Brunswick. Can book it 10 days out too. 
    Ontario you have to pay because travel is still considered non-essential 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Ontario you have to pay because travel is still considered non-essential 
    Travel for leisure is always non essential though. All of Canada is opened up for travel essential or not if you are fully vaccinated. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    PJNB said:
    We do have free tests. However, I had to get tested once officially due to being exposed to a case and they actually wouldn't let me test until I lied about symptoms. That being said the only report from the test I got was a text message saying Negative, so I doubt that will work in order to get on a plane. I will need official paperwork and that means I will have to pay minimum $200. I have looked everywhere and that's the cheapest I can find

• Options
    I'm coming from BC. I've found cheaper antigen tests in the airport. Or download the BC Services app needed for the vaccine passport. That will show you PCR result.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    I'm from BC too, but in reading about the YVR test, my understanding was that it's only upon arrival (i.e. it doesn't qualify for getting you on the flight back, and I don't think it's for outbound passengers either). I may have it wrong, but I thought it was solely for randomly selected arriving passengers as an additional layer. If you know different, I'd love to be proven incorrect. 

I'm in same boat in that we were initially planning for a 2-week family vacation, but now may just fly out on the Friday/back on the Sunday for the Encore. Hope to find somewhere that can give us quick results so we can test Thursday evening and still fly back in the 72 hour window. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Google YVR testing:

• Options
    Yes, I actually found that after. Thank you! I guess there is no such thing as covid insurance so that if you happen to test positive down there and have to stay two weeks, you'd be covered?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,230
    chitty said:
    Yes, I actually found that after. Thank you! I guess there is no such thing as covid insurance so that if you happen to test positive down there and have to stay two weeks, you'd be covered?

Probably not.  The chances are probably too high, which wouldn't make it profitable for an insurance company.
  • Options
    chitty said:
    You actually can get insurance to cover you for Covid. Maybe not all companies cover but a bunch of them do. The names escape me at the moment.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2021
    i flew into nyc for a massive reunion this summer, and the common, easy-to-do-trip, was not like before ...i hated airports before and they just got worse ... and the paranoia about getting a positive test result and being stuck where u flew to... not good!
    ny got the ways and means .. but not worth the risk.(imo). i'm done....see ya next year, eh!
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 614
    I was reading travel restrictions back into Canada are easing up, gonna for sure try and make the trip west now 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    aidt17 said:
    I was reading travel restrictions back into Canada are easing up, gonna for sure try and make the trip west now 
    Link?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    chitty said:
    I have 300 a day for 10 days max plus medical expenses through Pacific Blue Cross. Requires fully vaxxed status.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    aidt17 said:
    Perhaps you are referring to fully vaccinated foreign nationals being allowed entry for non-essential purposes? I still see the same Ole song and dance required for re-entry. 
  • Options
    So from the information I’ve gathered it looks like Canadians flying in need a PCR test within 72hrs for both their arrival and departure.  Has anyone coming from Ontario found a PCR place for less then 150-200.00?  Also it looks like you can book a test in California at CVS but i couldn’t confirm if their would be a cost to getting it done there?  Any advice from anyone else that has travelled to the USA recently would be appreciated, I’m fully vaxxed and looking for some one with some recent experience as I haven’t flown to the USA in almost 2 years now…
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 614
    tish said:
    aidt17 said:
    Perhaps you are referring to fully vaccinated foreign nationals being allowed entry for non-essential purposes? I still see the same Ole song and dance required for re-entry. 
    Yes, I only read the first couple sentences and thought it was about less restrictions for Vaxxed but alas I was wrong.  Still thinking about rolling the dice.  But as the time gets closer my feet get colder 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,242
    edited September 2021
    So from the information I’ve gathered it looks like Canadians flying in need a PCR test within 72hrs for both their arrival and departure.  Has anyone coming from Ontario found a PCR place for less then 150-200.00?  Also it looks like you can book a test in California at CVS but i couldn’t confirm if their would be a cost to getting it done there?  Any advice from anyone else that has travelled to the USA recently would be appreciated, I’m fully vaxxed and looking for some one with some recent experience as I haven’t flown to the USA in almost 2 years now…
    I think you only need antigen test to fly to the US.  That was true in August for sure.  Pearson airport offers this test for about $65 Canadian.  I believe it is still all that’s needed (but I haven’t reconfirmed).  Returning to Canada needs a PCR for sure.  Can’t speak to CVS but generally speaking the free tests in the US aren’t reliable to get back within the necessary interval.  
    Post edited by RatherStarved on
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    check the airport you are flying back home out of, as LGA offered free tests for wayward travelers. results took 1 hour. emailed to you.