Options

Canadians making the trip to Ohana and SHN and the travel rules that goes with it.

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    SNA does not offer PCR tests, although it seems many are trying to do the 72 hour no test on way home travel. 
  • Options
    This is a site in Santa Ana that provides testing and is open on Saturday and Sunday:https://www.covidclinic.org/santa-ana/ It looks like the rapid PCR test is $150. Hope this helps!  
  • Options
    ^Thx. We're staying on for disneyland and will take a taxi through a drive though testing site on Katella, 71.5 hours before our return flight. I had to bribe the kid to go to a non-pop show somehow!!! 
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^Thx. We're staying on for disneyland and will take a taxi through a drive though testing site on Katella, 71.5 hours before our return flight. I had to bribe the kid to go to a non-pop show somehow!!! 
    Adding Disneyland to the trip! Expensive, but fun! You guys are going to have a heck of a vacation.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 752
    edited September 2021
    I crossed 4 international borders (Canada->US->Honduras->US->Canada) in the last two weeks, so maybe I should do an AMA. I have two passports and Nexus/Global Entry, but things were actually very smooth.

Going into the US, the airline checked the antigen test ($40 at Shoppers Drug Mart, results in 15 minutes). Border crossing was business as usual. Border guard did not ask for the test results.

Coming back into Canada, my PCR test at Walgreens took 30 hours for the email to hit my inbox. The revised ArriveCAN app is pretty easy to use. You have to upload vaccine card, but not the PCR test results. I strongly suggest printing the PCR test as the airline and border want to see it. There was no line at YYZ on Thursday at noon. The border guard asked me a few more questions than usual (even with Nexus being open), but nothing out of the ordinary. I would strongly suggest filling out ArriveCAN on their website, if possible, as it takes 15 minutes or so.

There were plenty of PCR appointments available at Walgreens, but I couldn't find anything at CVS. Not sure if they are stopping them or what the deal might be. 

I was not selected for any kind of test at YYZ and exited as normal. Nothing to do after you leave the airport in terms of the app or follow up tests.
    Post edited by kaw753 on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,746
    kaw753 said:
    I crossed 4 international borders (Canada->US->Honduras->US->Canada) in the last two weeks, so maybe I should do an AMA. I have two passports and Nexus/Global Entry, but things were actually very smooth.

Going into the US, the airline checked the antigen test ($40 at Shoppers Drug Mart, results in 15 minutes). Border crossing was business as usual. Border guard did not ask for the test results.

Coming back into Canada, my PCR test at Walgreens took 30 hours for the email to hit my inbox. The revised ArriveCAN app is pretty easy to use. You have to upload vaccine card, but not the PCR test results. I strongly suggest printing the PCR test as the airline and border want to see it. There was no line at YYZ on Thursday at noon. The border guard asked me a few more questions than usual (even with Nexus being open), but nothing out of the ordinary. I would strongly suggest filling out ArriveCAN on their website, if possible, as it takes 15 minutes or so.

There were plenty of PCR appointments available at Walgreens, but I couldn't find anything at CVS. Not sure if they are stopping them or what the deal might be. 

I was not selected for any kind of test at YYZ and exited as normal. Nothing to do after you leave the airport in terms of the app or follow up tests.
    Thanks for the info. Can you expand upon the suggestion of needing a printed copy of your PCR test to fly back with? I will not have access to a computer or printer. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    kaw753 said:

Thanks for the info. Can you expand upon the suggestion of needing a printed copy of your PCR test to fly back with? I will not have access to a computer or printer. 
    I'm guessing you will be fine with it on your phone, but it is a lab report that is difficult to read. I printed it in the hotel business center. I try to spend as little time with border guards as possible.
  • Options
    It doesn’t have to be printed.  At least it didn’t in August.  That said it never hurts to make the border agent’s job easier.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    PJNB said:
    kaw753 said:

I'm guessing you will be fine with it on your phone, but it is a lab report that is difficult to read. I printed it in the hotel business center. I try to spend as little time with border guards as possible.
    The hotel business centre might be a great idea thanks as a back up. 
  • Options
    JoMa1998JoMa1998 London, Ontario Posts: 30
    I see that there are 2 Walgreen's that are within a 15 minute drive from Dana Point and both offer the PCR tests, appointments are required.

2005.09.12-London
    2006.05.09-Toronto
    2007.08.05-Lolla, Grant Park
    2008.08.13-EV Toronto
    2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly
    2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville
    2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton
    2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field
    2014.10.16-Detroit
    2016.05.08-Ottawa; 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22-Wrigley Field
    2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field
    2021.09.24/25/26-Ohana Festival; 2021.10.01/02-Ohana Encore
    2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022-09-15 Nashville 
    2023.08.31-Minneapolis; 2023.09.02-Minneapolis; 2023.09.05-Chicago; 2023.09.07-Chicago; 2023.09.29/30/10.01-Ohana Festival

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    edited September 2021
    JoMa1998 said:
    I see that there are 2 Walgreen's that are within a 15 minute drive from Dana Point and both offer the PCR tests, appointments are required.

I went thru the whole process to book an appointment here. However it looks like you can only do so 3 days in advance and also it seems they only have option for US citizens since the details asked for give no option for province or country, just asks for state ID. Anyone know different?
    Post edited by chitty on
  • Options
    I booked my PCR test online at cvs drivethru in Dana point, I just used my hotel for the address
  • Options
    We have decided to forget about the 72 hour window. The flights just don’t work. Will get a molecular test in Carlsbad on Friday before heading to the show 👍. There are plenty of options available. 
    Get the antigen test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40 before heading out. 

Got the booster shot on Thursday. I’m triple-vaccinated (AZ/Pfizer/Pfizer). Ready to fackin rock! 
  • Options
    We have decided to forget about the 72 hour window. The flights just don’t work. Will get a molecular test in Carlsbad on Friday before heading to the show 👍. There are plenty of options available. 

Got the booster shot on Thursday. I’m triple-vaccinated (AZ/Pfizer/Pfizer). Ready to fackin rock! 
    Great choice making your trip a bit easier and can't wait for these shows!
  • Options

I booked 2 cheapest antigen tests around totalling 260$. All I have to do now is pack and get excited about the new music we get to see! (The ocean is a treat these days, too.)

I'm just sucking it up that travel in and out of BC is 500$ more than it used to be.
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,016
    Dumb question - to re-enter Canada is the test required 72 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart, or 72 hours before the flight lands back in Canada?  If the latter, what happens with flight delays?  I guess same question going into the US.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    Ryan said:
    Dumb question - to re-enter Canada is the test required 72 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart, or 72 hours before the flight lands back in Canada?  If the latter, what happens with flight delays?  I guess same question going into the US.
    72 hours before your return flight is scheduled to depart. The PCR test from a big pharmacy takes 24-36 hours for the results to hit your email inbox, so no need to cut it close if you don't need to. Basically, you get the test day 1, they send it to a lab at the end of that day, and then the results will come in some time the next day.
  • Options
    Ryan said:

To enter the states you just need to have a test 3 days prior the hours do not matter. For example if you are into the US on a Friday you can have your test at anytime on Tuesday or closer to your flight. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Flying home Canada is making it more difficult with the 72 hour rule. It is worded though that is for your scheduled departure time. Delays should not affect this. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,016
    kaw753 said:
    Ryan said:
    72 hours before your return flight is scheduled to depart. The PCR test from a big pharmacy takes 24-36 hours for the results to hit your email inbox, so no need to cut it close if you don't need to. Basically, you get the test day 1, they send it to a lab at the end of that day, and then the results will come in some time the next day.
    PJNB said:
    Ryan said:

To enter the states you just need to have a test 3 days prior the hours do not matter. For example if you are into the US on a Friday you can have your test at anytime on Tuesday or closer to your flight. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Flying home Canada is making it more difficult with the 72 hour rule. It is worded though that is for your scheduled departure time. Delays should not affect this. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada
    Thank you both for the quick responses.
    I’m flying from Canada to the US at next Saturday for Ohana so I can get a test any time Wednesday.
    Flying home the Sunday day after the Encore weekend so I’ll book a test on Thursday 72 hours before flight departs.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    Antigen test done.  All clear.  Packing time.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    Safe travels.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,744
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    Safe travels.

• Options
    anyone down in the US already?
  • Options
    Time to move this one up. 

Flying to LAX in two days, then heading straight to Dana Point. 

Antigen test done this am, took me 15 minutes and got my negative result. 

Haven’t touched my passport in 19 months. Can’t wait! 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    Flying out in the morning. Catching Lumineers in Santa Barbara tomorrow and then to Dana Point on Thursday. Getting return test on Saturday. Will have a bit anxiety until I get that negative result sometime saturday or sunday.....
  • Options
    Anyone using Toronto Pearson be ready for a long line in US customs.  

• Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    flying out Friday afternoon from Toronto...testing for admission to the US done today....LET'S GO ALREADY !!!!
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    Safe travels too all fellow Canadians going down to Ohana. 

If anyone of ya's are able to pick up an extra zippo, sticker, button, kozzie combo from Ohana, please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    very useful site for Ontario residents

https://grassroots.vaccine-ontario.ca/

it adds the vaccine proof to your iphone wallet  or a pic 
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...