Options

Canadians making the trip to Ohana and SHN and the travel rules that goes with it.

PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
edited August 2021 in The Porch
For those that are flying down to SHN and Ohana how stressed are you about the test we need to take before flying back home to Canada? If it is positive we need to isolate for 14 days in NJ or California.That is a huge risk for me that I am not sure I am willing to take for my family and my work. 
Post edited by PJNB on

Comments

• Options
    I should add we are going down for 11 days total. We are masking most of the trip inside and out. The unknown factor on food and other services that we have no control on however makes me hesitant along with other issues. The show itself is not a concern to me funny enough. We plan on being at the back for all of the shows. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2021
    I have excellent medical insurance and am finishing a Master of Education online, therefore little economical stress about being held in Orange county. 

I think child age 9 will have another exposure next few weeks at camp or school, so hopefully potential infection clears befcore take-off. My fear has always been a badly timed exposure that will prevent an adventure and not so much a severe case.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,106
    I kind of wanted to go, but given the current environment, I'm not.  Land border is still closed (otherwise I might of road tripped down), tests need to fly back, could get covid and not be cable to come back, could plunk down $$ and show could get cancelled.. etc..

Would of been tough.  I'm ok with continuing my record long stint of not leaving Vancouver Island :)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I was hoping Canada would start accepting antigen tests since getting one at the SNA airport is an option, whereas a RT-PCR is not. We will be minorly inconvenienced to taxi thru for a swab on a Disneyland booked day instead,
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    ^ I hope Vedder's eldest daughter takes the stage with him and you get an amazing performance the first weekend, NB!

Do you know how amazing it is that Pearl Jam wrote a new album and finally get to show it. It's also amazing that there's a new FLAG DAY soundtrack!!!

Focus on this instead PJ. The rest will sort itself out.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tish said:
    ^ I hope Vedder's eldest daughter takes the stage with him and you get an amazing performance the first weekend, NB!

Do you know how amazing it is that Pearl Jam wrote a new album and finally get to show it. It's also amazing that there's a new FLAG DAY soundtrack!!!

Focus on this instead PJ. The rest will sort itself out.
    I love your positivity as usual but If I am stuck in California for 14 days due to a positive test I will be looking for a new home I fear lol. There is no guarantee of not getting it of course but I am just unsure how well the vaccine actually prevents you from being infected and asymptomatic.
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    I pretty well came to terms that the wife and I are going to have to back out.  Same thing with us is that we cannot risk the chance of having to isolate one way or the other. Either upon return home or worse there. Even a delayed test result (which happened to my mother) would mean lost work time. Which isn’t gonna fly 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    I’ll arrive at LAX at 9pm Thursday the 23rd and fly back early on the 28th. Will get the test on the morning of the 25th so should be good. I’ll try to stay calm on the Friday. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    I’ll arrive at LAX at 9pm Thursday the 23rd and fly back early on the 28th. Will get the test on the morning of the 25th so should be good. I’ll try to stay calm on the Friday. 
    Remember the test has to be done within 72 hours of your departure time, no earlier. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    OP, my best to you both! I’ll be thinking about you guys & the rest of you going to both festivals. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    OP, my best to you both! I’ll be thinking about you guys & the rest of you going to both festivals. 
    Thanks this is much appreciated! 

Remember the test has to be done within 72 hours of your departure time, no earlier. 
    We are running into the issue of timezones for this right now. My time zone is 4hrs ahead of California. On paper we would be 71 hrs not taking that into account but real time would be 75 hrs. Also I wonder what happens if your flight is delayed?

Edit: the way it is worded on the government site is that it has to be 72hrs from your scheduled flight. This tells me if your flight is delayed you are not at risk of it being an issue. Also for those that have a connection still in the USA the last flight to Canada is the one you need to use for your 72hr time stamp. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    We have been planning this trip for the Festival weekend for months now. Due to a sickness in the family and lack of a babysitter along with the huge risk of being stuck in California for 14 days on top of our 11 day trip it appears we have to bow out for week one. This is very hard to decision to make since this was supposed to be my first trip to California and exploring the coastline.

Now we would just do the Encore shows. We would test on Tuesday in our local testing facility for free. This would be for our flight to the US. We would then test again on Thursday but as I mentioned above timezones make things a bit of an issue. We either have to drive to Moncton (2hr drive) and get tested for free right before our 2pm flight or get tested at the airport in Montreal which is $250. There is also the option of testing in California but I feel like with such a short trip there now we would be scrambling a bit. 
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    PJNB said:
    We have been planning this trip for the Festival weekend for months now. Due to a sickness in the family and lack of a babysitter along with the huge risk of being stuck in California for 14 days on top of our 11 day trip it appears we have to bow out for week one. This is very hard to decision to make since this was supposed to be my first trip to California and exploring the coastline.

Now we would just do the Encore shows. We would test on Tuesday in our local testing facility for free. This would be for our flight to the US. We would then test again on Thursday but as I mentioned above timezones make things a bit of an issue. We either have to drive to Moncton (2hr drive) and get tested for free right before our 2pm flight or get tested at the airport in Montreal which is $250. There is also the option of testing in California but I feel like with such a short trip there now we would be scrambling a bit. 
    I’m being total selfish…. I’m sad I won’t be seeing you & your wife at Ohana😔 Reality is you must make the best decision that feels right for you. 
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    PJNB said:

I’m being total selfish…. I’m sad I won’t be seeing you & your wife at Ohana😔 Reality is you must make the best decision that feels right for you. 
    Things could change for the better but this is definitely the best for our family right now. It is crazy that me missing one weekend and still making the Encore potentially feels like a huge deal right now. Need to just think positive and that maybe we will make an extra trip in 2022 now cause of this. We will def be seeing you in Europe or at MSG that is for sure! 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    We recently had to go through a similar decision regarding a family vacation… we went back and forth many times over whether to cancel. At the end of the day, we made the best decision for us and we’re happy with it.  It’s not a fun position to be in because so much is out of your control.  But I’m wishing you guys good luck with it, whatever you choose to do!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,797
    PJNB said:

All the more reason  to do the California trip with my wife and I when they reschedule the 2020 shows. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Sucks that so many things are unable to really be planned around.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I am sure others are battling with these decisions as well and if anyone has something else they can add I am all ears. Two Pearl Jam shows should be enough this year but it really hurts missing the first weekend with the great festival they have put on. If testing or things with her family member change in the positive direction we will revisit the idea of week 1 but at this point I have already mentally prepared that it will be a missed show. 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    I feel for the folks that have to bow out of shows, hope people get to attend shows without anxiety of virus! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I feel for the folks that have to bow out of shows, hope people get to attend shows without anxiety of virus! 
    While true for some, my anxiety comes from shows cancelling unexpectedly and travel requirements needed for me to go to the USA. Being vaccinated and otherwise healthy I have very little anxiety of the virus at outdoor shows itself. I do feel for those that are missing shows that do of course. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    PJNB said:
    While true for some, my anxiety comes from shows cancelling unexpectedly and travel requirements needed for me to go to the USA. Being vaccinated and otherwise healthy I have very little anxiety of the virus at outdoor shows itself. I do feel for those that are missing shows that do of course. 
    Yeah no doubt cancellation sucks! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,180
    If anyone is flying from Toronto there’s a testing service on the Pearson website with Antigen test for entering US for about $65 Canadian.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    If anyone is flying from Toronto there’s a testing service on the Pearson website with Antigen test for entering US for about $65 Canadian.  
    That is a pretty good option. 15 minutes and you get your results? 

In New Brunswick we can go to our normal testing sites and get it for free. 24-48hrs time frame to get the results back. My plan now is to get two tests in N.B. since we will not be in the USA for more than 72 hrs. 
  • Options
    camhendycamhendy Posts: 156
    My fiancè and I are deliberating pretty hard right now on SHN too. We would be flying out of Pearson and staying in NYC from Sept 16th to the 21st. Already have the fest tickets, could get the test on the 19th/20th in NYC. It feels like a lot of balls to juggle and it's definitely stressful.
    2013: London
    2016: Ottawa
    2018: Wrigley 1 & 2
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Innings Fest (EV), Ft Worth 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2

• Options
    camhendy said:
    My fiancè and I are deliberating pretty hard right now on SHN too. We would be flying out of Pearson and staying in NYC from Sept 16th to the 21st. Already have the fest tickets, could get the test on the 19th/20th in NYC. It feels like a lot of balls to juggle and it's definitely stressful.
    You should be fine in NY with testing locations. If it was me though I would cut the trip short 1 day and get tested late on the 17th for peace of mind. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    We are probably going to shorten our trip to stay within the 72hr window for Ohana Encore. 

- Get the PCR test on September 29th to meet the flight and concert requirements (in the event our proof of vaccine is inadequate) 
    - Fly Air Canada to San Diego on October 1st. Land with enough time to get the rental, drive to Carlsbad and check into hotel, drive to shuttle location and get to the show. Should be there in time for Beck without much problem (fingers crossed)
    - Fly home Sunday afternoon on WestJet. 

This completely eliminates the possibility of getting stuck in the US as the original PCR test will allow us back across the border. Originally out WestJet flight was booked in this fashion, however scheduling changes with their airline partner (Delta more than likely) resulted in the flight being pushed back to Thursday the 30th. 

For everyone’s information, Shopper’s Drug Mart offers the rapid test (antigen) for $40 which allows you access to the US by air. Of course, you need a molecular test to get back into Canada.  

EDIT - Have to rethink all this. If the test is older than 72hrs, you have to get another test. This is harder than it has to be in my opinion. Have to get the test at the airport prior to flying.  This could get complicated. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    PJNB said:
    Thanks everyone! I am sure others are battling with these decisions as well and if anyone has something else they can add I am all ears. Two Pearl Jam shows should be enough this year but it really hurts missing the first weekend with the great festival they have put on. If testing or things with her family member change in the positive direction we will revisit the idea of week 1 but at this point I have already mentally prepared that it will be a missed show. 

I feel for you. This virus causes so much stress. 
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    We are probably going to shorten our trip to stay within the 72hr window for Ohana Encore. 

- Get the PCR test on September 29th to meet the flight and concert requirements (in the event our proof of vaccine is inadequate) 
    - Fly Air Canada to San Diego on October 1st. Land with enough time to get the rental, drive to Carlsbad and check into hotel, drive to shuttle location and get to the show. Should be there in time for Beck without much problem (fingers crossed)
    - Fly home Sunday afternoon on WestJet. 

This completely eliminates the possibility of getting stuck in the US as the original PCR test will allow us back across the border. Originally out WestJet flight was booked in this fashion, however scheduling changes with their airline partner (Delta more than likely) resulted in the flight being pushed back to Thursday the 30th. 

For everyone’s information, Shopper’s Drug Mart offers the rapid test (antigen) for $40 which allows you access to the US by air. Of course, you need a molecular test to get back into Canada.  

Sounds good but one thing I am sure you have thought of is the test you get in Canada that you are using to get home with can be positive and you are still stuck in the US. Low risk but still a chance. Also unless I am missing something it looks like to me you are not getting the test on the 30th which would be the day you would need to get it (after the departure flight time for Sunday) and instead the 29th? That is 96hrs not 72. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @1ThoughtKnown

Does Alberta not do free testing for travel? New Brunswick does. We are taking advantage of that. Two PCR tests prior to leaving two days apart.Tuesday and Thursday. Early morning flight Sunday though is a necessity for us since we are flying out Thursday and live in the Atlantic Time Zone. Not sure if they would actually look at it close enough to pick up the fact we are 4hrs ahead of them. Would make my life easier if they did not factor that in. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJNB said:
    @1ThoughtKnown

Does Alberta not do free testing for travel? New Brunswick does. We are taking advantage of that. Two PCR tests prior to leaving two days apart.Tuesday and Thursday. Early morning flight Sunday though is a necessity for us since we are flying out Thursday and live in the Atlantic Time Zone. Not sure if they would actually look at it close enough to pick up the fact we are 4hrs ahead of them. Would make my life easier if they did not factor that in. 
    I don’t think so. I have not come across any free testing in my search. The airport testing is done by “Numi Health” and they have prices on their website. 
    I’m looking into changing flights into LAX to stay in the 72hr window. The whole rental car “lottery” kind of worries me of course. 

Get the PCR test on Thursday night as late as possible to keep in that window? It’s frustrating because the PCR test at the airport wants you there four hours prior to your flight. Problem - they open at 8.  I’m not leaving at noon or later…. 

It’s plainly obvious they don’t want anyone flying to the US, thus making it as difficult as possible.