Options

Canadians making the trip to Ohana and SHN and the travel rules that goes with it.

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,036
    PJNB said:
    @1ThoughtKnown

Does Alberta not do free testing for travel? New Brunswick does. We are taking advantage of that. Two PCR tests prior to leaving two days apart.Tuesday and Thursday. Early morning flight Sunday though is a necessity for us since we are flying out Thursday and live in the Atlantic Time Zone. Not sure if they would actually look at it close enough to pick up the fact we are 4hrs ahead of them. Would make my life easier if they did not factor that in. 
    I don’t think so. I have not come across any free testing in my search. The airport testing is done by “Numi Health” and they have prices on their website. 
    I’m looking into changing flights into LAX to stay in the 72hr window. The whole rental car “lottery” kind of worries me of course. 

Get the PCR test on Thursday night as late as possible to keep in that window? It’s frustrating because the PCR test at the airport wants you there four hours prior to your flight. Problem - they open at 8.  I’m not leaving at noon or later…. 

It’s plainly obvious they don’t want anyone flying to the US, thus making it as difficult as possible. 
    How do you get tested normally if you have symptoms or a close contact? We call 811 here and they set up a referral for the testing location to call us to make an appointment. All free being a resident of the province. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    @1ThoughtKnown

Does Alberta not do free testing for travel? New Brunswick does. We are taking advantage of that. Two PCR tests prior to leaving two days apart.Tuesday and Thursday. Early morning flight Sunday though is a necessity for us since we are flying out Thursday and live in the Atlantic Time Zone. Not sure if they would actually look at it close enough to pick up the fact we are 4hrs ahead of them. Would make my life easier if they did not factor that in. 
    I don’t think so. I have not come across any free testing in my search. The airport testing is done by “Numi Health” and they have prices on their website. 
    I’m looking into changing flights into LAX to stay in the 72hr window. The whole rental car “lottery” kind of worries me of course. 

Get the PCR test on Thursday night as late as possible to keep in that window? It’s frustrating because the PCR test at the airport wants you there four hours prior to your flight. Problem - they open at 8.  I’m not leaving at noon or later…. 

It’s plainly obvious they don’t want anyone flying to the US, thus making it as difficult as possible. 
    How do you get tested normally if you have symptoms or a close contact? We call 811 here and they set up a referral for the testing location to call us to make an appointment. All free being a resident of the province. 
    In that case you would get a free PCR test yes. Same process I believe. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,923
    Your thread inspired me to find top 4 beachfront quarantine hotels if I can't get back in Canada whjch my travel insurance will mostly cover, so I'm looking at it like a cheap extended vacation.

Pipsqueak won't be allowed back in school for 10 days if we do make our scheduled flight home. She'd only miss 2 full days with Thanksgiving and half days for conferences, so guess I'll go where the wave takes me.

Side bar- How on earth can testing costs be so goddamn different between provinces? I drew the short stick!

• Options
    tish said:
    Your thread inspired me to find top 4 beachfront quarantine hotels if I can't get back in Canada whjch my travel insurance will mostly cover, so I'm looking at it like a cheap extended vacation.

Pipsqueak won't be allowed back in school for 10 days if we do make our scheduled flight home. She'd only miss 2 full days with Thanksgiving and half days for conferences, so guess I'll go where the wave takes me.

Side bar- How on earth can testing costs be so goddamn different between provinces? I drew the short stick!

Main reason I started this post was because of a handful of people I have chatted with on PM's did not know that this was even a thing. Maybe the rules change on Sep 21st but not very likely. Sounds like you have a good plan in place tish! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    @1ThoughtKnown

What is the rental car lottery you reference?
    I'm not sure how much you travel but I may be able to assist in rental car hacks....I've looked for lots of ways to game the system as rentals can be a travelers worst nightmare.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,923
    edited October 2023
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

Main reason I started this post was because of a handful of people I have chatted with on PM's did not know that this was even a thing. Maybe the rules change on Sep 21st but not very likely. Sounds like you have a good plan in place tish! 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,451
    tish said:
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me! Ha.

It's funny, because your thread took the stance of the risk being not getting back into Canada; whereas I was more concerned about not getting in to the States!

For the last three weeks, my city has had 7-900 weekly cases of people that actually tested (the high rate of unvaxxers here don't bother). During the highest winter peak, previously we rarely hit 200, and considered highs were 70. I'm fairly sure we've been exposed now (I might do asymptomatic testing). I was scared of the delta exposure happening Sept 7-25, during the first few weeks back at school.

The US-Can border restrictions make little sense at this point, imo.
    I’m with Tish…get me to the shows…if something delays my return I’ll deal with it.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tish said:
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

It's funny, because your thread took the stance of the risk being not getting back into Canada; whereas I was more concerned about not getting in to the States!

For the last three weeks, my city has had 7-900 weekly cases of people that actually tested (the high rate of unvaxxers here don't bother). During the highest winter peak, previously we rarely hit 200, and considered highs were 70. I'm fairly sure we've been exposed now (I might do asymptomatic testing). I was scared of the delta exposure happening Sept 7-25, during the first few weeks back at school.

I’m with Tish…get me to the shows…if something delays my return I’ll deal with it.  
    For us it is not about us dealing with it if something delays our return. Its everyone else that is affected with our kids needing to be watched for 14 more days and work would be a disaster if I missed 14 days just so I could see a concert in the US. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    @1ThoughtKnown

What is the rental car lottery you reference?
    I'm not sure how much you travel but I may be able to assist in rental car hacks....I've looked for lots of ways to game the system as rentals can be a travelers worst nightmare.
    LAX car rental spots are notorious for taking your reservation and then you show up and there is no car. Cue the Seinfeld episode. 

Any hacks you have would be appreciated. The best was when yahoo did car rentals. Those were the days. Cars for $8 a day with unlimited kms. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Im not even going grocery shopping anymore because of delta.   Concerts aren’t anywhere in my general direction.  

I can definitely understand the stress of crossing the border for a show and the covid rules.  Hope you can navigate it safely and stress free.  
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 767
    From someone who travels...

From Canada to the US, it is $40 at your local Shoppers Drug Mart for the antigen test. Results will be handed to you in about 15 minutes. 

From the US to Canada, you will need to do the PCR test. Walgreen's and CVS will do them for about $125. It used to be hard to get appointments, but pretty easy these days on the website. You will receive an email in about 24 hours that you will upload to the ArriveCAN app. So, get the test done between 48-72 hours before your flight departs and you are good to go. If you have US health insurance, the test will likely be free. I was in NYC a few months back and they cover anyone and everyone for free. NJ and California may or may not be doing the same thing.

When coming back into Canada, there should be a line-up to knock out the return PCR test right there at the airport. Assuming you are vaccinated, you no longer need to do the 8 day test or the 14 day quarantine. Technically, you are supposed to do the quarantine until the airport test comes back in 24-48 hours. If you don't do the test at the airport, they will hand you a free test kit where you will have to do a Zoom call with a nurse and have a Purolator pickup. This is a pain in the ass, so do the test at the airport, if at all possible.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,555
    You see, they know how to *take* the reservation, they just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    kaw753 said:

From Canada to the US, it is $40 at your local Shoppers Drug Mart for the antigen test. Results will be handed to you in about 15 minutes. 

From the US to Canada, you will need to do the PCR test. Walgreen's and CVS will do them for about $125. It used to be hard to get appointments, but pretty easy these days on the website. You will receive an email in about 24 hours that you will upload to the ArriveCAN app. So, get the test done between 48-72 hours before your flight departs and you are good to go. If you have US health insurance, the test will likely be free. I was in NYC a few months back and they cover anyone and everyone for free. NJ and California may or may not be doing the same thing.

When coming back into Canada, there should be a line-up to knock out the return PCR test right there at the airport. Assuming you are vaccinated, you no longer need to do the 8 day test or the 14 day quarantine. Technically, you are supposed to do the quarantine until the airport test comes back in 24-48 hours. If you don't do the test at the airport, they will hand you a free test kit where you will have to do a Zoom call with a nurse and have a Purolator pickup. This is a pain in the ass, so do the test at the airport, if at all possible.
    I think the day 1 arrival test no longer applies if you’re vaccinated unless you’re randomly selected.  The 72 hour or less departure test for returning to Canada still applies.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    PJNB said:
    tish said:
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

For us it is not about us dealing with it if something delays our return. Its everyone else that is affected with our kids needing to be watched for 14 more days and work would be a disaster if I missed 14 days just so I could see a concert in the US. 
    I hear you.  You’re adulting! 

• Options
    PJNB said:
    tish said:
    PJNB said:
    tish said:

I hear you.  You’re adulting! 
    This was supposed to be our 11 day trip not adulting damnit! 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,190
    edited August 2021
    on2legs said:
    You see, they know how to *take* the reservation, they just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

The car reservation  seinfeldgifs S3E11The car reservation icom commentredditredditcomsubmitSeinfeld carvote GIF
    :lol: :
  • Options
    LOL I would lose my shit if I got in on the day of the show and they were fucking around saying I did not have a car. 

We did the math and Uber is the way to go for us. Expensive for two trips but hassle of gas/parking fees/rental fees/wait time to get to the rental location made it an easy choice. 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:

Or keep the trip short that the original PCR test has been done within 72 hours of your arrival back into Canada. That is the route I am taking. 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:

Or keep the trip short that the original PCR test has been done within 72 hours of your arrival back into Canada. That is the route I am taking. 
    Fly in morning of show and fly out next morning?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kaw753 said:
    kaw753 said:

We are getting two tests. One to fly out and one to fly back. Both in New Brunswick. The trip itself is under 72hrs so as long as we get our back to Canada test (test done on Thursday) after the time of our departure flight (Sunday) we can use it. 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:

I think the day 1 arrival test no longer applies if you’re vaccinated unless you’re randomly selected.  The 72 hour or less departure test for returning to Canada still applies.
    That is good news as I have a 11:30pm flight coming back. The test at the airport was #4 on the list of incredibly annoying things to cross the border. They got rid of 1-3 (14 day quarantine, 3 day hotel stay, 8 day PCR test). 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    GlowGirl said:
    on2legs said:

The car reservation  seinfeldgifs S3E11The car reservation icom commentredditredditcomsubmitSeinfeld carvote GIF
    :lol: :
    There it is.   I was waiting for it 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,555
    This is a major hassle (and for good reasons) but I’m glad you’re getting part of your trip in… you’ve been so excited for this happen and I’m rooting for you to have it all go smoothly!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited August 2021
    kaw753 said:
    kaw753 said:

Flying in Friday morning.  Going to both shows, flying out Sunday morning. Get the PRC test prior to leaving. 

*PCR - I’ll get this outfit called Numi to come directly to my home and do the test. Results guaranteed at 9:00am the next day. I’m chatting with them now. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    The deeper I look into it, the harder it gets. Fastest PCR turnaround you can get is 12 hours. If I got the test at 5pm on Thursday the earliest I can land back in Calgary is 5:25pm on Sunday. 72 hours and 25min. After the test. 

Looks like Plan B it will be. Rapid test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40, fly down Thursday and get the PRC test in California for $125US on Friday morning before the show. Hope neither of us are a “breakthrough” COVID case during the flight and one night in Carlsbad. 

I’m in, my wife may veto this 😂
  • Options
    The deeper I look into it, the harder it gets. Fastest PCR turnaround you can get is 12 hours. If I got the test at 5pm on Thursday the earliest I can land back in Calgary is 5:25pm on Sunday. 72 hours and 25min. After the test. 

Looks like Plan B it will be. Rapid test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40, fly down Thursday and get the PRC test in California for $125US on Friday morning before the show. Hope neither of us are a “breakthrough” COVID case during the flight and one night in Carlsbad. 

It is the departure flights time it goes by. If your flight leaves in LA at 12pm on Sunday for instance you being 1 hour ahead would need a test done after 1pm Calgary time on Thursday.

When and where to get a pre-entry test result

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

• Options
    PJNB said:

It is the departure flights time it goes by. If your flight leaves in LA at 12pm on Sunday for instance you being 1 hour ahead would need a test done after 1pm Calgary time on Thursday.

If you're flying to Canada, you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

I was trying to get the molecular test done in Canada and go to the concerts and return to Canada within 72hrs. From the travel.gc.ca website:

For short trips that are less than 72 hours, Canadian citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons travelling outside of Canada are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• If your test is more than 72 hours old when you re-enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test
    Therefore, you will be back in Canada 25 minutes late. No problem getting on the plane I guess. They will just make me get another test at the airport at home? 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    PJNB said:

I was trying to get the molecular test done in Canada and go to the concerts and return to Canada within 72hrs. From the travel.gc.ca website:

For short trips that are less than 72 hours, Canadian citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons travelling outside of Canada are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.

• If your test is more than 72 hours old when you re-enter Canada, you’ll be required to get a new pre-entry molecular test
    Therefore, you will be back in Canada 25 minutes late. No problem getting on the plane I guess. They will just make me get another test at the airport at home? 
    Interesting. That messes things up for me as well. I am going to email Air Canada and see what they say. I think though that pertains to land borders but I will try and find out. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Interesting. That messes things up for me as well. I am going to email Air Canada and see what they say. I think thought that pertains to land borders but I will try and find out. 
    Cool. I was going to call WestJet myself and get some clarification. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Interesting. That messes things up for me as well. I am going to email Air Canada and see what they say. I think thought that pertains to land borders but I will try and find out. 
    Cool. I was going to call WestJet myself and get some clarification. 
    Keep me updated and I will do the same! I might call them tomorrow. Only an hour wait last time I contacted them lol.