2022 North American rumour thread take 2

Comments

• KL159781 said:
    I believe the Ed / Earthlings tour was utilizing a traveling bubble as well and it wasn’t sufficient.  

I wonder if the insurance rates combined with 2020 pricing is another disincentive.

Nonetheless I’m still optimistic we’ll get some dates.  
    I’m optimistic as well for dates, but if you consider that Jeff said Vedder’s tour was a test for Pearl Jam, they failed the test.

A short 3 week tour has led to 2 band members getting covid and dates being postponed, adding greatly to the tour expenses and causing last minute issues for the fans. These are all things Pearl Jam wants to avoid.

Vedder and Pearl Jam management are clearly eager to go forward with touring. There is seemingly one or more band members who are less eager and can’t feel happy with how this Earthlings tour has gone. Add into it that Jeff doesn’t want to have to be checking vaccination status for audience members, something that is required for Vedder’s tour. These guys may also not be happy to be in a bubble. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to have May dates announced in a couple weeks. I also won’t be surprised if they push the dates off to after Europe.

I don't agree that the EV tour failed the test.  They played 5 amazing shows and are on pace to complete all 9 within a few days of the original end date.  Sure, it's not an A+ with at least two cases, but it still gets a passing grade in my book if it is completed as revised.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    edited February 2022
    KL159781 said:
    I believe the Ed / Earthlings tour was utilizing a traveling bubble as well and it wasn’t sufficient.  

I wonder if the insurance rates combined with 2020 pricing is another disincentive.

I’m optimistic as well for dates, but if you consider that Jeff said Vedder’s tour was a test for Pearl Jam, they failed the test.

A short 3 week tour has led to 2 band members getting covid and dates being postponed, adding greatly to the tour expenses and causing last minute issues for the fans. These are all things Pearl Jam wants to avoid.

Vedder and Pearl Jam management are clearly eager to go forward with touring. There is seemingly one or more band members who are less eager and can’t feel happy with how this Earthlings tour has gone. Add into it that Jeff doesn’t want to have to be checking vaccination status for audience members, something that is required for Vedder’s tour. These guys may also not be happy to be in a bubble. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to have May dates announced in a couple weeks. I also won’t be surprised if they push the dates off to after Europe.

I don't agree that the EV tour failed the test.  They played 5 amazing shows and are on pace to complete all 9 within a few days of the original end date.  Sure, it's not an A+ with at least two cases, but it still gets a passing grade in my book if it is completed as revised.  
    From the standpoint of what the band presented to the audience on stage, it’s a success. I think the members of Pearl Jam feel they can also put on amazing shows, as they always do, once these dates happen. The concerns of the band, that Jeff seems to have expressed, is to be able to tour without significant behind the scenes problems, and this Vedder tour wasn’t a success in that regard. 
    True successes were what Guns N Roses and the Rolling Stones were able to do last year, where each had 2 straight months of dates and there were no reported cases of covid and no dates postponed. I think Pearl Jam probably were holding the success of the Earthlings tour to these standards.
    Rescheduling shows adds a lot of extra cost to a tour and Pearl Jam may be very risk averse to tour with shows sold at 2020 prices while their costs are at 2022 levels.
    The Earthlings tour is a much shorter tour than what Pearl Jam has planned, so it was easier to tack on the CA shows to the end. It gets more problem some the longer the tour. It also had much higher priced tickets than Pearl Jam has, probably in part to cover for potential postponement costs.
    We know there are lots of acts currently on tour getting through all of this, but as we’ve seen, this band is much more hesitant to go ahead and tour than others.
    Post edited by KL159781 on
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    This interview with Pete Townshend kind explains how touring has changed during these times.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/pete-townshend-who-tour-interview-keith-moon-1296914/

How will Covid impact the way you tour? I know that Elton John and the Rolling Stones have been forced to basically create a traveling Covid bubble. Will you be doing something similar?
    We have no choice, unfortunately. The insurers are the ones making these dictates. This is not the Rolling Stones or Elton John [making these calls]. This is the insurers. They are insisting that they won’t pay out if you cancel because of Covid. That’s the first thing. And secondly, if they do pay out, they only pay out 85 percent. And thirdly, they up their charges from 2.5 percent to 5 percent and now to 8 percent of the gross income on a tour. It’s absolutely brutal.

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,833
    KL159781 said:

It’s not a pass/fail test.  It’s a “what worked  and what didn’t work” test.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,804
    While many may not agree, this is a good sign for the direction of the touring industry, especially after reading above how difficult it has become 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/arts/coachella-masks-vaccines-covid.html

Coachella is completely dropping any and all Covid requirements
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,444
    edited February 2022
    While many may not agree, this is a good sign for the direction of the touring industry, especially after reading above how difficult it has become 

Nice! Another small step back to normal life
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424

Nice! Another small step back to normal life
    So if fans do not need to be tested you would think that the performers would follow under the same rules would they not? 
  • Wondering if outdoors is the reason re Coachella.  Wasn't able to access the article so apologies if it says as much.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,460
    Wondering if outdoors is the reason re Coachella.  Wasn't able to access the article so apologies if it says as much.
    The state of California is dropping masking mandates (except for schools) as of today.

Went to War on Drugs last night in St Paul, MN. Venue required vax/neg test for entry. The city has an indoor mask mandate, unless you’re eating or drinking. As you can imagine, a majority of the attendees weren’t wearing masks most of the night cause they were drinking. The venue staff weren’t enforcing masks either. For good, or bad, we’ve moved on from masks.
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    Man I love hot Covid talk.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,804
    Current available seats for EV in LA.  Insane. 

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,289
    Noload said:
    Man I love hot Covid talk.
    It’s the best 
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 480
    The EV tour was a little risky being on the tail end of Omicron... By March/April things should be back to 'normal'.... Enough is enough.
  • We might be done with Covid but it might not be done with us.  

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    The last thing I want is to have anyone up close behind me breathing & sweating in a GA pit I’m done with those shows! If PJ decides to still do GA pits I’ll always try for reserved seats if not I’ll pass on the shows! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Current available seats for EV in LA.  Insane. 

Thanks for sharing Weston,  That is truly BONKERS.  We are definitely in a new era.  There is no way that is the case even 2 years ago.  This truly shows the effects of Covid.  It's like all the people at the airport saying "The terrorists won, because they changed our lives forever" with all the extra security measures.  Same with Covid, it won, because it changed our lives forever.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,157

Thanks for sharing Weston,  That is truly BONKERS.  We are definitely in a new era.  There is no way that is the case even 2 years ago.  This truly shows the effects of Covid.  It's like all the people at the airport saying "The terrorists won, because they changed our lives forever" with all the extra security measures.  Same with Covid, it won, because it changed our lives forever.
    I hear what you're saying, but is it also the change of date (lots of Pearl Jam fans travel)? Or is it TM releasing SO many tickets after the initial sale at hyperinflated prices? 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    3days said:

I hear what you're saying, but is it also the change of date (lots of Pearl Jam fans travel)? Or is it TM releasing SO many tickets after the initial sale at hyperinflated prices? 
    You can walk up on day of show and get a good seat! What’s not to like about the new normal..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ChoskaChoska Posts: 123

I think the issue is more ticket price than Covid restrictions for the audience. $200+ to see EV is kinda pricey for non-PJ fanatics.
    Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    3days said:

IMO it's all of the above that seems to be pushing down demand.

1. Crazy prices / TM platinum...somewhat justifiably as insurance costs and inflation are through the roof (plus the need to make up some lost income from 2020-21), but many people also are spending their previous concert budget elsewhere (look at vinyl prices, for example) and/or are also getting squeezed elsewhere with inflation

2. Hesitancy to attend shows or travel out of COVID fear, and potentially also some people not wanting to comply with venue COVID policies and staying home for that reason

3. Date changes, fear of cancellation or rescheduling leading to more people purchasing tickets week or day of an event

I am blessed to live a 10-15min trip from numerous venues and have tried to take advantage of the situation. Have scored absolutely unthinkable deals on great seats several times over the last 6 months or so. 

I do expect PJ to be different, however. PJ tickets have always been next level in terms of demand. 

• ChoskaChoska Posts: 123

"The insurers are the ones making these dictates. This is not the Rolling Stones or Elton John [making these calls]. This is the insurers. They are insisting that they won’t pay out if you cancel because of Covid. That’s the first thing. And secondly, if they do pay out, they only pay out 85 percent. And thirdly, they up their charges from 2.5 percent to 5 percent and now to 8 percent of the gross income on a tour."

Now I'm curious if this isn't the real reason why the new dates haven't been announced yet. Those tickets were priced and sold pre-Covid. Now the band has substantially more costs to tour due to Covid. I wonder if the reason for the delay in the tour rescheduling are a function of the fact that costs for the tour, as well as the economic risks from rescheduling the shows, have gone up substantially while the revenue is locked in. 

Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,203
    JBob87 said:
    3days said:

1. Crazy prices / TM platinum...somewhat justifiably as insurance costs and inflation are through the roof (plus the need to make up some lost income from 2020-21), but many people also are spending their previous concert budget elsewhere (look at vinyl prices, for example) and/or are also getting squeezed elsewhere with inflation

2. Hesitancy to attend shows or travel out of COVID fear, and potentially also some people not wanting to comply with venue COVID policies and staying home for that reason

3. Date changes, fear of cancellation or rescheduling leading to more people purchasing tickets week or day of an event

I am blessed to live a 10-15min trip from numerous venues and have tried to take advantage of the situation. Have scored absolutely unthinkable deals on great seats several times over the last 6 months or so. 

I do expect PJ to be different, however. PJ tickets have always been next level in terms of demand. 

Spot on as to why there's so many tickets available.  It's a combination of all of those things.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • JojoRice said:
    JBob87 said:
    3days said:

Spot on as to why there's so many tickets available.  It's a combination of all of those things.  
    I’d also add that the LA venue is 6-7k which is a lot bigger than the other EV venues and the fact that he played Ohana for two weekends last fall.  

• Canada is full venues in mid March for all 2020 shows that need to be rescheduled. I expect to see PJ in May. 
    Barrie 1992 
    Toronto 2003
    Kitchener 2005
    London 2005
    Toronto 1 2006
    Cleveland 2006
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011
    Hamilton 2011
    London, Ont 2013
    Buffalo 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 1 2016
    Toronto 2 2016
    Hamilton 2022
    Toronto 2022
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    Today is not the day... again..... 

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,317
    I see mudhoney is touring in my area in May. If PJ doesn’t announce soon it’ll be another band I don’t see as I wait….
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,680
    I see mudhoney is touring in my area in May. If PJ doesn’t announce soon it’ll be another band I don’t see as I wait….
    I went ahead and bought Mudhoney tickets for STL on May 5th. If STL is rescheduled in May, I doubt it would that early. If they are the same night, then the Mudhoney tickets were pretty cheap, so if I have to eat them it won't be the end of the world.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,317
    I went ahead and bought Mudhoney tickets for STL on May 5th. If STL is rescheduled in May, I doubt it would that early. If they are the same night, then the Mudhoney tickets were pretty cheap, so if I have to eat them it won't be the end of the world.
    That’s cool. I’m just not going to buy others until I know for sure. Not worth it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,680
    That’s cool. I’m just not going to buy others until I know for sure. Not worth it.
    True, had the Mudhoney ones not been so cheap, I doubt I would have done it. I have purposely avoided planning or booking anything expensive for May up till now for that reason.
  • Canada is full venues in mid March for all 2020 shows that need to be rescheduled. I expect to see PJ in May. 
    March 1 - Ontario is full capacity... even better.