2022 North American rumour thread take 2

Comments

• Is PJ playing at Alpine valley late summer? I keep hearing this rumor. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    setlist41 said:
    Is PJ playing at Alpine valley late summer? I keep hearing this rumor. 
    I think a lot are just assuming Wrigley since the last 3 times in Chicago they played there. Where are the rumours coming from for Alpine Valley?

• I hated Sea Hear Now as a festival.  It is like the complete opposite of Ohana.  Ohana is a beautiful, wide beach with plenty of room for anyone to stand comfortably and have a great view.  The Bleachers are even solid seats.  

SHN was horrible, entirely too narrow, and having to navigate out of that crowd to use the bathroom, dodging hundreds of people laying on beach towels, was something I never plan to do again.
    Totally agree with this. I was at both and SHN was set up in a way that made it difficult to navigate if you were anywhere towards the front. 
  • Due to the fact of the new alpine valley music theater Instagram,  I guess alpine valley followed all bands that were announced so far, dmb, rage and now phish just announced today. That they're there 3 nights.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    I hated Sea Hear Now as a festival.  It is like the complete opposite of Ohana.  Ohana is a beautiful, wide beach with plenty of room for anyone to stand comfortably and have a great view.  The Bleachers are even solid seats.  

SHN was horrible, entirely too narrow, and having to navigate out of that crowd to use the bathroom, dodging hundreds of people laying on beach towels, was something I never plan to do again.
    Unless I did VIP I would not go back to See Hear Now.  
    setlist41 said:
    Due to the fact of the new alpine valley music theater Instagram,  I guess alpine valley followed all bands that were announced so far, dmb, rage and now phish just announced today. That they're there 3 nights.
    Nice find! 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,905
    My MSG source finally got back to me after messaging him twice since Jan 1st. He said Bruce had 3 shows planned for April but moved it to 2023 with many holds. As of a month ago, PJ has “multiple holds for Spring and Fall 2022”. Also said, “one of the few postponed shows that has little to no refunds asked for”. Rage’s 5 shows at MSG were “easily rescheduled” since it’s August. I’m going to bet that MSG is still Fall like previous rumors. Easier to plan with set regular season games for the Rangers/Knicks.
    I love the Knicks but we ain’t getting any games for them past early April.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs said:
    My MSG source finally got back to me after messaging him twice since Jan 1st. He said Bruce had 3 shows planned for April but moved it to 2023 with many holds. As of a month ago, PJ has “multiple holds for Spring and Fall 2022”. Also said, “one of the few postponed shows that has little to no refunds asked for”. Rage’s 5 shows at MSG were “easily rescheduled” since it’s August. I’m going to bet that MSG is still Fall like previous rumors. Easier to plan with set regular season games for the Rangers/Knicks.
    I love the Knicks but we ain’t getting any games for them past early April.  
    Agreed, but the Rangers might make it difficult. And somehow if the Knicks get in the play-in and are able to play a first round series (I know I know), you got 2 teams with playoff schedules 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    edited February 2022
    With more and more info out there now pointing at MSG in the fall I think everyone on both sides of the border need to start preparing that their shows they are holding tickets for might not make the cut this spring. With Eddie saying some USA shows are coming in his last interview that all but confirms Canada is out of the running and at least 1 US show is and maybe more. Sure these interviews can be wrong but with an announcement as imminent as this one I would guess it is accurate. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • PJNB said:
    With more and more info out there now pointing at MSG in the fall I think everyone on both sides of the border need to start preparing that their shows they are holding tickets for might not make the cut this spring. With Eddie saying some USA shows are coming in his last interview that all but confirms Canada is out of the running and at least 1 US show is and maybe more. Sure these interviews can be wrong but with an announcement as imminent as this one I would guess it is accurate. 
    Imminent announcement- good one!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,804
    Yeah, I think one of the safest assumptions that can be made out of all of this is that MSG and Canada will be mixed into some new East Coast shows this fall.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • MakeUSmileMakeUSmile Posts: 1,128
    Nice! Thanks for update. Falls in line with what I’ve heard as well. 
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
    PJNB said:
    Any day/month now!
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,941
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Any day/month now!

All I can think of is Groundhog Day.

"What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!"
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    Yeah, I think one of the safest assumptions that can be made out of all of this is that MSG and Canada will be mixed into some new East Coast shows this fall.  
    I know it’s probably already set, but canada should be in May/June. 

We have a good chance that we’ll have full capacity at that point. We could be shut down again come fall. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,941
    uglybabo said:

We have a good chance that we’ll have full capacity at that point. We could be shut down again come fall. 

I'm guessing all of the planning was done while Canadian venues were at reduced capacity, while US venues weren't, so it makes sense that they'd plan on just being in the US this May, then hope that things will be open in the Fall.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

I'm guessing all of the planning was done while Canadian venues were at reduced capacity, while US venues weren't, so it makes sense that they'd plan on just being in the US this May, then hope that things will be open in the Fall.
    I think you’re right. But maybe if MSG has holds in spring and fall perhaps they have two routes planned. 

Even putting COVID aside, they only have 15 dates to make up and they should be fulfilled before they add more dates. I’m biased because I have tickets to 5 of these shows, but if they have a month to 6 weeks to safely tour they should look to those who have waited over 2 years. 
  • uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

I think you’re right. But maybe if MSG has holds in spring and fall perhaps they have two routes planned. 

Even putting COVID aside, they only have 15 dates to make up and they should be fulfilled before they add more dates. I’m biased because I have tickets to 5 of these shows, but if they have a month to 6 weeks to safely tour they should look to those who have waited over 2 years. 
    +1 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

I have 5 shows as well and if the rumours are true I will be holding no tickets for May. I will be adding some shows though for sure if that’s how it plays out. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,804
    edited February 2022
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

I understand your point, but at this point, I think we need to take what we can get, whenever we can get it.  Something is better than the nothing we have had for almost 4 years now.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

I understand your point, but at this point, I think we need to take what we can get, whenever we can get it.  Something is better than the nothing we have had for almost 4 years now.
    You’re totally right; something is better than nothing for sure. 

But between the solo shows and Pearl Jam there will have been 7 California shows and possibly 4 more in May/June before they make up the East coast. It’s a bit crazy. 

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,730
    uglybabo said:
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

But between the solo shows and Pearl Jam there will have been 7 California shows and possibly 4 more in May/June before they make up the East coast. It’s a bit crazy. 

That’s how the rest of us have felt about how many shows the east coast has gotten over the last 15 years. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX said:
    uglybabo said:
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

That’s how the rest of us have felt about how many shows the east coast has gotten over the last 15 years. 
    I think the east coast has definitely been luckier in the past, but this is a separate argument. 

This tour has been delayed for what will be over 2 years and if they add NEW shows in May/June before they honor the already existing dates that’s kind of crappy. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,548
    uglybabo said:
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

They haven't played Northern California since 2014, and that was the Bridge School Benefit. The last full show was in 2013.
    uglybabo said:
    uglybabo said:
    mpedone said:
    uglybabo said:

They haven't played Northern California since 2014, and that was the Bridge School Benefit. The last full show was in 2013.
    8 PJ shows and 4 solo shows in 7 months. That is a crazy lucky amount no matter how long they have been absent from the state. 
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    I saw over on backstreets.com this excerpt from a new Rolling Stone interview with Pete Townshend where he talks about what touring will be like for him in 2022. Some of the issues he points out could be adding to Pearl Jam members not being overly eager to get out there:

RS: How will Covid impact the way you tour? I know that Elton John and the Rolling Stones have been forced to basically create a traveling Covid bubble. Will you be doing something similar?

PT: We have no choice, unfortunately. The insurers are the ones making these dictates. This is not the Rolling Stones or Elton John [making these calls]. This is the insurers. They are insisting that they won’t pay out if you cancel because of Covid. That’s the first thing. And secondly, if they do pay out, they only pay out 85 percent. And thirdly, they up their charges from 2.5 percent to 5 percent and now to 8 percent of the gross income on a tour. It’s absolutely brutal.

I have to confess here that our insurance company here in the U.K., our agent as it were, Robertson Taylor, is a kind of friend. [Laughs] We’ve been working with him since the very beginning. I’ve got no sympathy with the insurance companies, but there you go.

We did get paid out for our U.K. tour, which was fabulous since we were able to pay some of the debt that we had to people around us and help some of the crew and help some friends and family, and just generally charity stuff that we would normally do as a part of what we do every time we go out on tour. We were able to cover some of that in a period that was otherwise totally dead.

I’m happy that they paid us, but one of the stipulations is that when we travel, we’re not allowed to leave our hotel rooms. We have to travel in a very small bubble. And when we’re at the show, we’re not allowed to leave our dressing rooms.

I’m hoping that by May that those restrictions will have been eased a little bit. That’s because your first question was the obvious one: “Are you looking forward to this?” I laughed because this has never been something I love to do, but one of the things that I do greatly enjoy about touring is that people know where you are.

We’ve been in the business now for 60 years. People see our name on a billboard. If they have a phone number of a friend or someone in the crew, or they can get to my PA, they can arrange to meet me. On some occasions, we can fit in a dinner or a family visit. On other occasions, other celebrities or other band members, people I’ve never met, can come backstage and come meet me and talk about music and stuff. The social side of it is really, really valuable to me. I’m not very sociable and I’m not very active socially, so I love it.

Having that taken away from me is a bit saddening. Unlike quite a few people that tour, I don’t spend a lot of time out of my hotel room anyway. I tend to go into a hotel, build a small recording studio, and try to write songs. That’s how I spent my time in hotel rooms. For me, that part of it won’t be too different. But I’ll miss that. I’m hoping, hope against hope, that I can have that back

The idea that I won’t be able to have conversations with the orchestra members that we tour with would be a bit sad. That’s been so great to talk to people about what they do. They might be musicians working with symphony orchestras. They might be session players. They may be half-amateur/half-professional. And we all share that we’ve been stranded on an island for two years. Suddenly we’re back out there. We’ll have a lot we’ll want to share, and these restrictions mean that we won’t be able to.

On the other hand, I don’t want to be Moaning Minnie here. Neither do I want to be a Pollyanna. I think it’s going to be tricky, and I’m very, very keen to make the best of it. We are very lucky, Roger and I, to have a band, what’s left of the band, to take out. We’re lucky that we have what we have together. After two years, I love being at home. I love being at home since I spend so much time in the studio. I love it. I’ve had a very good time during lockdown.

But I work with quite a few other artists. I haven’t just been kicking me heels and feeling frustrated. This is something that … it feels as if the door is opening again. It’s a significant time, and quite strange for everybody. The way that everyone has been turned into pawns of, dare I say it, the politicians, the scientists, the pro-vaxxers, the anti-vaxxers, the people in between.
  • I believe the Ed / Earthlings tour was utilizing a traveling bubble as well and it wasn’t sufficient.  

I wonder if the insurance rates combined with 2020 pricing is another disincentive.

Nonetheless I’m still optimistic we’ll get some dates.  

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,396
    At least we are halfway thru early 2022. Every day the odds of an announcement increase!
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    edited February 2022
    I believe the Ed / Earthlings tour was utilizing a traveling bubble as well and it wasn’t sufficient.  

I wonder if the insurance rates combined with 2020 pricing is another disincentive.

I’m optimistic as well for dates, but if you consider that Jeff said Vedder’s tour was a test for Pearl Jam, they failed the test.

A short 3 week tour has led to 2 band members getting covid and dates being postponed, adding greatly to the tour expenses and causing last minute issues for the fans. These are all things Pearl Jam wants to avoid.

Vedder and Pearl Jam management are clearly eager to go forward with touring. There is seemingly one or more band members who are less eager and can’t feel happy with how this Earthlings tour has gone. Add into it that Jeff doesn’t want to have to be checking vaccination status for audience members, something that is required for Vedder’s tour. These guys may also not be happy to be in a bubble. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to have May dates announced in a couple weeks. I also won’t be surprised if they push the dates off to after Europe.

Post edited by KL159781 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,506
    KL159781 said:
    I believe the Ed / Earthlings tour was utilizing a traveling bubble as well and it wasn’t sufficient.  

I’m optimistic as well for dates, but if you consider that Jeff said Vedder’s tour was a test for Pearl Jam, they failed the test.

A short 3 week tour has led to 2 band members getting covid and dates being postponed, adding greatly to the tour expenses and causing last minute issues for the fans. These are all things Pearl Jam wants to avoid.

Vedder and Pearl Jam management are clearly eager to go forward with touring. There is seemingly one or more band members who are less eager and can’t feel happy with how this Earthlings tour has gone. Add into it that Jeff doesn’t want to have to be checking vaccination status for audience members, something that is required for Vedder’s tour. These guys may also not be happy to be in a bubble. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to have May dates announced in a couple weeks. I also won’t be surprised if they push the dates off to after Europe.

On the flip side Omicron seems to be starting to wane...  the new way might be trying/hoping to tour between waves?  if PJ tries to push forward with the spring, they might catch it in a lull.. if they wait to fall. who knows...

I still think it's odd RATM postponed again when it was a still a bit out until the tour started.. and you're thinking, the way things have gone, covid might be in a trough when that tour starts.