Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,132
    static111 said:
    I'm going to see Silversun Pickups in Indy next week. The venue requires proof of vax or negative test and mask wearing inside.

It's amazing to see people still bitching about that.
    Are you really surprised?  People are tired of it all, and it is likely that where we are now as a country is as good as it gets with covid unless it goes away.   We can't solve guns, underfunding of education, misinformation, the environment, equal rights, voting rights etc, but somehow more is expected when it comes to dealing with a virus?
    Not surprised....Indiana is full of tRumpsters
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,652

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,928
    Nothing new. That’s why I laugh when people claim it’s to protect those around you. The vaccine has become : protect yourself and not overwhelm the hospitals by getting very sick. And I’m totally for being vaccinated. Stupid not to. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155
    edited October 2021
    My workplace has bi-weekly meetings with individuals tasked to read the actual studies and provide information. After initially saying that a vaccinated person who got delta passed it on just like a non-vac person for the first 3-5 days and then a huge drop off….they recently updated saying the the amount of active virus shed by vaccinated people was actually far less than unvaccinated. Meaning while the same amount of virus is shed…in the vaccinated only a smaller percentage of that load could cause others to be infected. 
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    nicknyr15 said:
    Nothing new. That’s why I laugh when people claim it’s to protect those around you. The vaccine has become : protect yourself and not overwhelm the hospitals by getting very sick. And I’m totally for being vaccinated. Stupid not to. 
    it helps prevent symptomatic illness. how do you think it's mostly spread? coughing, sneezing, etc. so yes, it does protect those around you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,928
    nicknyr15 said:
    it helps prevent symptomatic illness. how do you think it's mostly spread? coughing, sneezing, etc. so yes, it does protect those around you. 
    Primarily protects yourself. I think “others” way less than what was first communicated when the vaccine first was available. Just like when fauci and others said a vaccine mandate would impede on peoples rights and would never happen. A lot has been said. 

Don’t take what I’m saying as a political statement. It just is what it is.
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    Ive been to 4-5 shows since August.  The difference in 'checking' has been concerning.    One was outside, no notice for any requirement, no check at all, and maybe 1% of attendees masked.   Next was inside, small venue, with a possibility of record/vax check.  None was done and maybe 25% masked.   The other was inside, 800 capacity, non-seated venue with vax/test requirement.  They thoroughly checked, even to the point where i showed them my booster card by mistake and they made me show my double dosed one, but did not match my card(s) to my ID.  That show had 50%+ masked.  The last one was similar, higher capacity though 1500+.  Same sort of deal they checked my cards as it was required, but not to my ID. 

There's a lot of care needed for this all to work.  It rests with the attendees being honest with their records, the venues for checking properly as well as the band/crew to heed the same requirements they ask of the attendees.  It's sad that someone perished (the kiss tech) and where the fault is can easily and shortly put on him if he was unvaxxed but we all have to try and take care of each other. 
  • Options
    I didn't take what you were saying as political. just incorrect. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not necessarily.  Remember your chance if getting covid is dramatically reduced by the vax. This study just says if you're a breakthrough,  you can spread it.  But your chances of spreading are lower by never getting it. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,649
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not necessarily.  Remember your chance if getting covid is dramatically reduced by the vax. This study just says if you're a breakthrough,  you can spread it.  But your chances of spreading are lower by never getting it. 
    The study was also about the Delta variant, specifically. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    My workplace has bi-weekly meetings with individuals tasked to read the actual studies and provide information. After initially saying that a vaccinated person who got delta passed it on just like a non-vac person for the first 3-5 days and then a huge drop off….they recently updated saying the the amount of active virus shed by vaccinated people was actually far less than unvaccinated. Meaning while the same amount of virus is shed…in the vaccinated only a smaller percentage of that load could cause others to be infected. 
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Yes to both.

Science reporting in mainstream media continues to be terrible and misleading. Vaccination protects the community and the individual but that point is now being missed with how these headlines and stories are being written. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    My theory, and that’s all it is right now, is the vaccine is far less effective than we’re being told. A few reasons I believe this.
    I was the third person to test positive in a week (with a staff less than 40, so that’s a big chunk of us). All of us fully vaxed And all showed symptoms. Being in quarantine and using a home test I’ve learned some about it.
    The rapid home test is about 85% accurate, even less in the rest world since people can’t follow directions. Almost all of the error is in false negatives. You aren’t asked or even encouraged to report a positive home test to the county. So many with false negative tests never know they have it. Those with a positive never get reported. I don’t see how this can’t lead to under reporting in breakout cases. The flu vaccine only last 6 months, many people got their vaccines in Feb/March, so good chance it’s wearing off by now.
    Im not anti vaccine, and there’s still lots of reason to believe it reduces ICU and hospital visits. I actually wish I got the booster, I was only eligible about a week before I got it and just hadn’t signed up yet.
    I just believe breakout cases are probably a lot more common than what is currently being reported. And a lot of the spread, more than we think, is due to breakout cases. Especially if you’re relying on an inaccurate home test.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    edited October 2021
    Love mace1229 said:
    My theory, and that’s all it is right now, is the vaccine is far less effective than we’re being told. A few reasons I believe this.
    I was the third person to test positive in a week (with a staff less than 40, so that’s a big chunk of us). All of us fully vaxed And all showed symptoms. Being in quarantine and using a home test I’ve learned some about it.
    The rapid home test is about 85% accurate, even less in the rest world since people can’t follow directions. Almost all of the error is in false negatives. You aren’t asked or even encouraged to report a positive home test to the county. So many with false negative tests never know they have it. Those with a positive never get reported. I don’t see how this can’t lead to under reporting in breakout cases. The flu vaccine only last 6 months, many people got their vaccines in Feb/March, so good chance it’s wearing off by now.
    Im not anti vaccine, and there’s still lots of reason to believe it reduces ICU and hospital visits. I actually wish I got the booster, I was only eligible about a week before I got it and just hadn’t signed up yet.
    I just believe breakout cases are probably a lot more common than what is currently being reported. And a lot of the spread, more than we think, is due to breakout cases. Especially if you’re relying on an inaccurate home test.

Depends on what you mean by “effective”. The primary goal of vaccination for an illness like this has always been to minimize the risk of serious or fatal cases, not to eliminate mild or asymptomatic cases. The fact that these vaccines do reduce the risk of getting mild cases in addition to serious and fatal cases is a major bonus. Too much to ask for to hope that we won’t still have to deal with symptoms like we expect from a cold. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    how do you equate being lied to about vaccine effectiveness with human error in home testing? I think what is being reported is what should be reported; one trend that our health officials found was that an alarming amount of people aren't testing positive until they arrive at the hospital for treatment; we are being encouraged to report positives. But I don't know how prevalent home testing is here compared to the US. We just go to a local testing site and get it done. Much quicker and more accurate and free. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,943
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Yes to both.

Science reporting in mainstream media continues to be terrible and misleading. Vaccination protects the community and the individual but that point is now being missed with how these headlines and stories are being written. 
    Oh, that's a definite bummer.  I guess I don't see that sort of thing much because I tend to read sources like The Guardian which is much more pro-science, pro-vaccination, etc.  I'm guessing I would not feel too good reading mainstream news sources these days!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    how do you equate being lied to about vaccine effectiveness with human error in home testing? I think what is being reported is what should be reported; one trend that our health officials found was that an alarming amount of people aren't testing positive until they arrive at the hospital for treatment; we are being encouraged to report positives. But I don't know how prevalent home testing is here compared to the US. We just go to a local testing site and get it done. Much quicker and more accurate and free. 
    I don’t think I said we’re being lied to. But that we don’t have all the data, largely due to home testing. That’s not the same as being lied to.
    I didn’t realize how common home tests were until recently. Talking to my coworkers, nearly all of them rely on home tests. I wasn’t even aware until a few days ago, but my state gives them out for free for front line workers and had 2 million available. They are being sold out in stores because they are in high demand. So there’s obviously a lot out there and if a good chunk aren’t being reported to the county health dept, that obviously skews the data. That’s not equal to a lie, but I am surprised they don’t say to report positive cases, even the CDC website doesn’t say to do that for a home test.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Love mace1229 said:

Depends on what you mean by “effective”. The primary goal of vaccination for an illness like this has always been to minimize the risk of serious or fatal cases, not to eliminate mild or asymptomatic cases. The fact that these vaccines do reduce the risk of getting mild cases in addition to serious and fatal cases is a major bonus. Too much to ask for to hope that we won’t still have to deal with symptoms like we expect from a cold. 
    I would say an equally important goal, and one we keep hearing most about, is to stop the spread. That’s how it was first advertised as well, wasn’t it supposed to be like a 95% efficacy or something? Not just minimize hospital visits and deaths for those vaccinated.
    But I wasn’t arguing any of that, in fact I even acknowledged it reduced those risks. I just believe the number of breakthrough cases is higher than what is being reported. That’s not due to false reporting by officials, but by false negatives on tests and not reporting of positive home tests.
    Im not complaining we still have to deal with cold symptoms, I still think the vaccine is good. I just made a comment that it’s probably not as effective as we believe. No reason to read into that, nothing to read into. The flu vaccine is often 60% effective or even less and no one complains about that and I still get that every year. Especially with the delta variant, I’d bet it’s closer to that 50-60% range than that 95%. I still think everyone should get it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    'my theory'
  • Options
    Yes, I wanted to be up front I’m not claiming evidence on that, just having a conversation. Not sure why that needed to be pointed out. Either way, I still confident breakthrough cases are under reported.
  • Options
    The way its going here looks like the vaccine isnt stopping many getting it . Just  an observation of people i know .  So breakthrough is very very common
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,348
    mutation of delta then? superdelta?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Delta we are told
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Delta we are told

uk primarily used az?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

NEXT TIME, MANAGE RISK INSTEAD OF CLOSING BORDER, TASK FORCE URGES CANADA, U.S.

Good luck with that.  When the border fully reopens soon Canadians still will need a test to return even if fully vaccinated…lmfao. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    mace1229 said:
    Love mace1229 said:

I would say an equally important goal, and one we keep hearing most about, is to stop the spread. That’s how it was first advertised as well, wasn’t it supposed to be like a 95% efficacy or something? Not just minimize hospital visits and deaths for those vaccinated.
    But I wasn’t arguing any of that, in fact I even acknowledged it reduced those risks. I just believe the number of breakthrough cases is higher than what is being reported. That’s not due to false reporting by officials, but by false negatives on tests and not reporting of positive home tests.
    Im not complaining we still have to deal with cold symptoms, I still think the vaccine is good. I just made a comment that it’s probably not as effective as we believe. No reason to read into that, nothing to read into. The flu vaccine is often 60% effective or even less and no one complains about that and I still get that every year. Especially with the delta variant, I’d bet it’s closer to that 50-60% range than that 95%. I still think everyone should get it.
    Mace, this confused me as well.

I thought the vaccine reduces the chance of severe symptoms and/or hospitalization, but I haven't read anything about a reduction of transmissibility as a byproduct of being vaccinated. If that's the case, the 'virality' wouldn't change, just the mortality rate. Does anyone know the truth of the matter on this?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pre-delta that was the contention. that transmission was reduced if vaxxed. however delta being able to have higher viral loads across the board, so its stands to reason higher shedding would be a result vaxxed or not.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    mace1229 said:

which vaccine did you get?  I think the other hard part is the media and governments treat them all like the same thing.    It seems like Moderna is the best with high efficacy, and it doesn't taper off very much with time.

Pfizer is ok, but it tapers off a lot.  To something like 50% after 6 months.   Here in Canada Pfizer was the most accessible vaccine during the vaccine rollouts.  I was surprised the government wasn't more focused on boosters for people who got pfizer... now they're slowly getting to it, but for everyone.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Love mace1229 said:

Mace, this confused me as well.

I thought the vaccine reduces the chance of severe symptoms and/or hospitalization, but I haven't read anything about a reduction of transmissibility as a byproduct of being vaccinated. If that's the case, the 'virality' wouldn't change, just the mortality rate. Does anyone know the truth of the matter on this?
    Straight from the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

All along it’s been said the vaccine helps prevent getting Covid, and if you do actually get it, the symptoms are more mild. It was also believed to have a 95% efficacy rate, and what I understood that to mean is a lot smaller chance of infection, not just hospitalization.

• Options
    Zod said:
    mace1229 said:

which vaccine did you get?  I think the other hard part is the media and governments treat them all like the same thing.    It seems like Moderna is the best with high efficacy, and it doesn't taper off very much with time.

Pfizer is ok, but it tapers off a lot.  To something like 50% after 6 months.   Here in Canada Pfizer was the most accessible vaccine during the vaccine rollouts.  I was surprised the government wasn't more focused on boosters for people who got pfizer... now they're slowly getting to it, but for everyone.
    I got Pfizer, second dose in March. My wife got moderna about the same time, and she hasn’t caught it from me yet and my 10 days are almost up. So there may be a lot of truth in that, I really haven’t looked into the differences.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Delta we are told

uk primarily used az?
    Not in the main. No. All people  in the first instance  like my brother . Mum . Got pfizer. He works in a care home and she is 67. So all health care and elders got pfizer.  Then my age  got AZ then all under 50  got pfizer because of clotting. Which i still insist is due to not aspirating . I stand by that.  But most young and old got Pfizer  here only mid age got AZ which over time is same efficacy as pfizer anyhow. Where pfizer  drops off the cliff at 5-6 months it then  evens out with Az at same time. Ive had AZ 6 months  ago and i have  anti Bodies  im in a study. But how many rah only knows. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This discussion has been closed.