Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    Fux & Friends
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,287
    dankind said:
    Do kids in these areas with a large, vocal "unmask our kids" adult population actually complain about their masks? Or is it just the adults?

I mean, I complain about my masks all the time, but I still wear them anytime I'm indoors with children younger than 12.

You know who I've never heard complain around here, though? A single child. And as a baseball and hockey coach, I'm around kids a lot more than I'm around adults. I've got dozens of children practicing and playing balls-to-the-wall ice hockey in masks, which seems impossible to me, but I haven't heard a single gripe about it. Hell, I have a hard time wearing mine on the freaking bench; meanwhile, they're out there making plays.

The local "let them breathe" movement trying to get rid of masks in schools is headed by, no kidding, a homeschooling parent.

As a former homeschooler, I'm experiencing secondhand embarrassment for this nitwit. I also can't fathom why she cares so very much about what's happening in the schools that her kids don't attend.

Anyway, I've been away from this thread for a while.

-- Good news today about vaccines for the 5-11yo kids!

-- We got our boosters this weekend -- as has everyone I know, as far as I can tell.

-- Enjoyed two socially-distanced weekends at Ohana. It was weird watching from a distance but, since we had vacation planned for the following week we weren't interested in doing anything to jeopardize our time off.

Like everyone over on the Porch, I am waiting for news about rescheduled PJ dates. But I've also been done with the "if you're old or scared, just stay home!" crowd for a long while now. I judge us as a society by how we care for the most vulnerable among us, that's all I'll lsay on that point.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,683
    edited October 2021
    Anyone know how/where I access this data?

Edit:https://www.fda.gov/media/153447/download

I'll read through that, but at a glance it doesn't look like it is the scenario modeling. Shows 1500ish got shot, rest saline...
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    My impression, from listening to the doctor Nicolle Wallace spoke with this afternoon, was that while there is a very small risk of heart problems associated with the COVID vaccines, the risk of heart problems from COVID itself was 37x higher.

possibly-relevant links:

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    0 cases in Taiwan. Taiwan has vaccines donated from other countries just dribbling in, yet has now outpaced in the US in % vaccinated.(one dose will pass fully vaccinated by end of Nov)  Finally got my second dose along with the wife on Saturday and it was quite the impressive operation.

Delta got into Taiwan three times yet that shit was snuffed out with contact tracing and mask wearing.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
    Smellyman said:
    0 cases in Taiwan. Taiwan has vaccines donated from other countries just dribbling in, yet has now outpaced in the US in % vaccinated.(one dose will pass fully vaccinated by end of Nov)  Finally got my second dose along with the wife on Saturday and it was quite the impressive operation.

Delta got into Taiwan three times yet that shit was snuffed out with contact tracing and mask wearing.

So what you're saying is that Taiwan used common sense and did the right thing?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    Hobbes said:

Love that one!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    Smellyman said:

Is it fair to compare Taiwan to the U.S.?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

no. because here common sense is more in the realm of theory than practice
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Ha!  Great answer. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Too true
  • Options
    Now that I've had three Moderna shots, I find it interesting that my side-effects were different each time:

1) five days of fatigue and headache;

2) twelve hours of "flu-like symptoms" (chills, aches, fever);

3) milder fatigue and super-fun GI symptoms

For what it's worth, the shingles vaccine(s) was SO MUCH WORSE than this. So. Much. Worse.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Obviously I meant population, density, tourism etc…. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Taiwan is a hell of a lot more densely populated than say.. Tennessee which has had terrible COVID numbers. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Taiwan is a hell of a lot more densely populated than say.. Tennessee which has had terrible COVID numbers. 
    Ok. So country to country… is it fair to compare Taiwan to the USA, as a whole?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

Why wouldn't it be fair? I really don't think an influx of tourists is making the USA resist vaccinations, nor the density, nor the population, nor the distribution, nor the cumulative costs. Given that the vaccines are readily available all across the States and yet its potentially-would-be-wasted surplus is being shipped to accommodate other countries who (reasonably) accept and use said vaccines - it's clear that the problem isn't the physical land mass, it's the brains of the humans within it, and their commitment to the rejection of logic.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

You're right..  it's unfair to Taiwan.  Their population density is 673 people per sq km.  The US is 35.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Smellyman said:

The US will start allowing foreign tourists in again November 8th. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I think it’s apples to oranges comparing Taiwan to USA. That’s not making an excuse for the nonsense that happens here, nor is it downplaying Taiwans accomplishments. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    nicknyr15 said:
    I think it’s apples to oranges comparing Taiwan to USA. That’s not making an excuse for the nonsense that happens here, nor is it downplaying Taiwans accomplishments. 
    well, it kind of is. it's the same go-to for 2A enthusiasts when you give them any stats of literally any other country: "you can't compare the US to (insert nation here)". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Now that I've had three Moderna shots, I find it interesting that my side-effects were different each time:

For what it's worth, the shingles vaccine(s) was SO MUCH WORSE than this. So. Much. Worse.
    I had the J&J first (back in March) and just had slight fever and fatigue the next day.

I got the Moderna booster (booster is a half dose) and flu shot yesterday.  No real side effects that I've noticed yet.  Maybe a little fatigue.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    My impression, from listening to the doctor Nicolle Wallace spoke with this afternoon, was that while there is a very small risk of heart problems associated with the COVID vaccines, the risk of heart problems from COVID itself was 37x higher.

possibly-relevant links:

Thanks anyhow! I found the info in the FDA website I quoted

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763

Bummer that the shingles vaccination was that bad for you. 
    It was bad for me too- it felt like a bad flu bug for 24 hours.  But Moderna #2 for me made the shingles vacc look like a cake walk.  The first 24 hours of Moderna #2 was pure hell.  I was literally writhing in agony for 12 hours, and utterly miserable for another 24, and felt crappy for days after.  Bit it was better than getting COVID!  I'm hoping we get Moderna #3 soon and get it over with (and hoping it is not too bad).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,834
    I really am going to have a hard time allowing my 5 and 7 year old to get the vaccine right away. They are currently playing hockey for the first time and I am sure at some point they will be required to get it to play. They have all of their vaccines up to this point but they do not get the flu shot. I know a lot of people on here are worried for their kids catching covid but that fear has not hit me at all. I am unsure if its where I live or what but a new vaccine for kids at the moment has me more worried than the virus does. Just being honest and am obviously not antivax and am pro covid mandates from the past. 
  • Options
    BC is not making them mandatory for this age group. Our rebooked 2019 Disney cruise might require it in May. Maybe I'll take the refund. It's not like adding the kids to the mix  will get the numbers where they need to be.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,834
    edited October 2021
    tish said:
    BC is not making them mandatory for this age group. Our rebooked 2019 Disney cruise might require it in May. Maybe I'll take the refund. It's not like adding the kids to the mix  will get the numbers where they need to be.
    Has there been an update for that age group in your province Tish? Meaning did they say for the first couple of months they are not mandating it or more long term? I am not impressed with the messaging in my province to be honest and its really showing with case counts as high as they have ever been in the last month. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I tuned in to one announcement lately from our health minister officer and caught her saying that. I'll double check, but the gist I got was that the severe outcome from this age group was so low a mandate wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: The only thing in print I found along a similar line was:

But what I heard hear say pertained to mandating vaccines. I suppose they have to approve it before the start making up rules. 

Sorry to hear you have high cases. We peaked in early August. Taking my kid out of school for Ohana-no school quarantine was well timed here, so she missed lots of back to school spread. Pretty crumby, I think how we vaccinated the old people and threw the kids to the wolves. I would have preferred it the other way.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    PJNB said:
    I really am going to have a hard time allowing my 5 and 7 year old to get the vaccine right away. They are currently playing hockey for the first time and I am sure at some point they will be required to get it to play. They have all of their vaccines up to this point but they do not get the flu shot. I know a lot of people on here are worried for their kids catching covid but that fear has not hit me at all. I am unsure if its where I live or what but a new vaccine for kids at the moment has me more worried than the virus does. Just being honest and am obviously not antivax and am pro covid mandates from the past. 
    It seems like new infections are down now so probably not bad to wait if you can.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
This discussion has been closed.