Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    Heartless Bastards (oh, that is already taken)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Deathcab for Democracy
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    All This In Chains
    Balloonknot
    Stains
    Kings & Queens of the Stoned Age
    Poo Fighters
    Creed
    The Trash

You have missed your calling, F Me. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Foreheadica.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    Fully vaxed and tested positive. Not feeling that bad, minor symptoms. But 2 coworkers, fully vaxed also, tested positive Thursday so I decided to get a tested when I started to feel congested. The 3 of us almost equal almost 10% of the staff.
    Weird thing is at least 1 other and myself did a home test and were told we don’t need to do another one. I already scheduled one to be sure. Are home tests being counted in the officials numbers? I would think not, and therefore breakout cases are probably a lot higher than reported.
    I thought about doing the home test a little while back because I was feeling like crap for days.  But I read that the home test- especially the rapid home test- are unreliable.  I went and got the most up-to-date test.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.  (I turned out to be COVID negative so it was just my old chronic fatigue kicking in again.)  So good question about whether not not the home test are counted in official numbers.
    I hope it's just a mild case. Mace.  Stay well.
    mace1229 said:
    Fully vaxed and tested positive. Not feeling that bad, minor symptoms. But 2 coworkers, fully vaxed also, tested positive Thursday so I decided to get a tested when I started to feel congested. The 3 of us almost equal almost 10% of the staff.
    Weird thing is at least 1 other and myself did a home test and were told we don’t need to do another one. I already scheduled one to be sure. Are home tests being counted in the officials numbers? I would think not, and therefore breakout cases are probably a lot higher than reported.
    Hope you continue to have a very mild case and recover quickly, and that your family stays well. 

You're well educated and up-to-date on all this, Often.  Do you know if those home test count?

By "count" do you mean is the data counted or do you mean are the results valid?

If you mean is the data counted, that's complicated because there are several different types of tests that can be done at home. These include tests where the individual does the swab at home but then sends it to a lab to be processed, and tests that are entirely performed and results provided at home.

For the ones where a swab is sent to a lab, then the result would be "counted" in the usual way that the lab would report tests.

For the ones that are entirely done at home, that varies depending on the test and how it's processed. There are some tests where you have to interact with the testing company's site for the result to be read; these include tests where the result is a colour change or a fluorescent reaction, which has to be read by an app that you download or has to be read by a staff member who is present via video. The results from these are supposed to be counted as usual, as the company is supposed to provide that data (to the CDC in the US).

There are also tests that the individual just reads at home without interacting with the testing company at all. In these cases the person is supposed to report test results, particularly positive tests, but I am guessing that people often don't.

As for the validity of the tests - if an at-home swab is sent to a lab and a PCR test is done on it then the results will be as valid as a usual PCR test (assuming the person got an adequate sample, which the test will report on). If it's done entirely at home it can't be a PCR test unless you happen to have an at-home thermocycler. That means that they will be rapid antigen tests, which are less sensitive and less specific than PCR tests. Exactly how sensitive they are depends on a few factors including the timing of the test compared to exposure, viral load, etc.

Ah, very good info, thanks!  :smile:
    The at-home test I was looking at was an all do-it-at-home.  I'm glad I went for the real deal.  Very reassuring to get a much more trustworthy result.
    And once again in this pandemic, you blink and things change!

https://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-canada-launches-portable-self-administered-covid-19-molecular-and-antigen-test-kits/

Air Canada has just announced that they are launching a pilot (ha ha) program to provide at-home tests for travelers so that they do not have the stress of trying to access timely testing when they are traveling. This includes an at-home test suitable for flying back to Canada. Canadian border security does not permit the use of rapid antigen tests so returning travelers have been pretty much restricted to PCR tests. However, the government website does say that acceptable alternatives include RT-LAMP tests (reverse transcriptase loop-mediated isothermal amplification), which amplifies available genetic material in a similar way to PCR but which can be provided in a self test kit.

It looks like completion of the test will require it be observed via video link with a technician, in much the same way that the current Day 8 tests are done.

Projected cost is pricier than the usual antigen test but less than many private labs have been charging.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited October 2021
    No need for the Clot Shots there's a cure for this monumental scam

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

Well, I guess. If you like to spray that up your nose and in your lungs. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    i_lov_it said:

Pretty sure it comes with a rectal applicator. That’s what the dude in the parking lot told me, only charge me $5 to do it too.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited October 2021
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Pretty sure it comes with a rectal applicator. That’s what the dude in the parking lot told me, only charge me $5 to do it too.
    Considering what's going on with this Fat Farce this wouldn't surprise me lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

So it's not real? No one has died? 
  • Options
    POOTWH giving covid enemas? That’s worth five dollars. But better double check the can and make sure it’s the real deal Coles Ultra and not canned air.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mrussel1 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Everything says it kills Covid now. I was assuming it was a joke. And I didn’t really pay anyone that $5!
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Everything says it kills Covid now. I was assuming it was a joke. And I didn’t really pay anyone that $5!
    That was directed at our new resident vaccine denier.

Although l would think all of these disinfectants,  clorox, etc would kill covid on surfaces.  Don't you think?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

That was directed at our new resident vaccine denier.

Although l would think all of these disinfectants,  clorox, etc would kill covid on surfaces.  Don't you think?

yes. so does soap.

on surfaces..  and the OUTSIDE  of skin.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,256
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Sorry to let you know, he didn't have to insert the entire can, could have just sprayed up there buuuut...surprise surprise surprise!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763

Haha!  Love the responses so far. 
    I'll go with The Petty VacAnts
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    brianlux said:

Haha!  Love the responses so far. 
    I'll go with The Petty VacAnts

butthead and the psychofants
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Here on Long Island the "unmask our kids" volume is getting a little louder.  More online discussions, signs in yards, shirts, yes shirts, all to display their dismay for masks.

How's by you?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    Here on Long Island the "unmask our kids" volume is getting a little louder.  More online discussions, signs in yards, shirts, yes shirts, all to display their dismay for masks.

How's by you?

I ignore all of those people - one of the people on the BoE ballot for local elections ran on "Free our Kids from Masks" hilariousness.  Made it an easy choice not to consider him for my vote. 
    The kids don't much care about the masks, the agenda driven adults do. 
    Covid deniers have no place in any conversation space with me - it is a non-starter.  You deny the facts you cannot have discourse.
    Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  My opinion is that Covid deniers are unworthy of having any voice.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

How's by you?
    Nothing here in Virginia.  Not even a campaign issue for governor race.  Being anti mask will lose an election. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522

How's by you?
    Parents and community members have been making a big stink about masks from the beginning here. They have fought mask mandates at every opportunity and our local school district has tried to ignore the Illinois State mask mandate twice. My wife resigned as student council sponsor due to the anti mask sentiment at the school district she teaches at. She planned on having the homecoming dance outside on the football field, so that they could be in compliance with the mandate and not have to wear masks. In the event of rain, the plan was to move it to a different day. It rained and they announced the date change. A shit show ensued with parents losing their minds and posting all sorts of disrespectful stuff on the student council Facebook page. Two members of the school board were some of the loudest complainers. The school board decided to overrule my wife and have the dance inside in the gym on the original date. They claimed they would be responsible for making sure masks were worn. My wife and her cosponsor resigned their sponsorship of the student council before the dance due to the treatment they were subjected to by the community and especially the school board members.

As a side note, the dance was held with "supervision" by the school board, and no masks were to be seen. So the way I look at it, either the school board members straight up lied and had no intention of enforcing mask wearing, or they are completely incompetent in their leadership ability. Another interesting note, over a dozen kids tested positive for COVID a week after the dance.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

How's by you?
    Parents and community members have been making a big stink about masks from the beginning here. They have fought mask mandates at every opportunity and our local school district has tried to ignore the Illinois State mask mandate twice. My wife resigned as student council sponsor due to the anti mask sentiment at the school district she teaches at. She planned on having the homecoming dance outside on the football field, so that they could be in compliance with the mandate and not have to wear masks. In the event of rain, the plan was to move it to a different day. It rained and they announced the date change. A shit show ensued with parents losing their minds and posting all sorts of disrespectful stuff on the student council Facebook page. Two members of the school board were some of the loudest complainers. The school board decided to overrule my wife and have the dance inside in the gym on the original date. They claimed they would be responsible for making sure masks were worn. My wife and her cosponsor resigned their sponsorship of the student council before the dance due to the treatment they were subjected to by the community and especially the school board members.

As a side note, the dance was held with "supervision" by the school board, and no masks were to be seen. So the way I look at it, either the school board members straight up lied and had no intention of enforcing mask wearing, or they are completely incompetent in their leadership ability. Another interesting note, over a dozen kids tested positive for COVID a week after the dance.
    Did any of them catch the clap?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    edited October 2021
    dankind said:

How's by you?

Did any of them catch the clap?
    Unknown at this time, however the way she describes the way the kids dance, it is a distinct possibility. :o
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    mickeyrat said:
    I made an appt to get the Moderna booster tomorrow. I had the J&J back in March so I got right in.

curious. did you consult with your dr before making the decision?
    no....he would defer to the CDC which says that J&J recipients gain higher antibodies with a Moderna followup
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Do kids in these areas with a large, vocal "unmask our kids" adult population actually complain about their masks? Or is it just the adults?

I mean, I complain about my masks all the time, but I still wear them anytime I'm indoors with children younger than 12.

You know who I've never heard complain around here, though? A single child. And as a baseball and hockey coach, I'm around kids a lot more than I'm around adults. I've got dozens of children practicing and playing balls-to-the-wall ice hockey in masks, which seems impossible to me, but I haven't heard a single gripe about it. Hell, I have a hard time wearing mine on the freaking bench; meanwhile, they're out there making plays.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    our conservative premier "retired" a month ago. he actually was for all the vaccine mandates/passports, etc. now the two front runners to the leadership, chosen this coming saturday, one of them is opposed to vaccine mandates, one is not. (and there's no election: in a parliamentary system, if a leader resigns, the party retains power, and they choose their own replacement). 

I'm not looking forward to this. if one of them repeals all the vaccine mandates in the province, I won't be going out again. probably to dinner, but concerts? not a fucking chance. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    From NYT email blast:

3. The U.S. is underperforming
    Despite all the encouraging news, one shadow still hangs over the U.S.: The pandemic does not need to be nearly as bad it is.

About 1,500 Americans have died of Covid every day over the past week. For older age groups, the virus remains a leading cause of death. And the main reason is that millions of Americans have chosen to remain unvaccinated. Many of them are older and have underlying medical conditions, leaving them vulnerable to severe versions of Covid.

For older people, the effects of vaccination are profound. In late August, near the height of the Delta wave, 24 out of every 10,000 unvaccinated Americans 65 and above were hospitalized with Covid symptoms, according to the C.D.C. Among fully vaccinated Americans 65 and above, the number was 1.5 per 10,000.

Even so, many Americans are saying no to a shot. Among affluent countries, the U.S. is one of the least vaccinated, trailing Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and others. Less vaccination means more death:

(These Times maps show the vaccination rates for each country.)

The low vaccination rate in the U.S. is another consequence of our polarized politics and our high levels of socioeconomic inequality. Only 67 percent of American adults without a four-year college degree have received a shot, compared with 82 percent of college graduates, according to the most recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll. And only 58 percent of self-identified Republicans are vaccinated, compared with 90 percent of Democrats.

It’s a triumph of misinformation. Offered a lifesaving drug to counteract a highly contagious virus, many Americans are instead choosing to take their chances.

#justsaynotothejab
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    It’s a salad bar of stupid. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    It’s a salad bar of stupid. 

Agreed.  The anti-mask movement is stupid.  And it's a danger to self and others.  51-50 these idiots!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.