Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    edited October 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    French pharmaceutical company Valneva has released promising phase 3 trial data on their more traditional inactivated whole virus vaccine. If this does pan out and gets licensed then it would provide an option for those who say that their objection is to novel vaccine formats and not vaccination per se. 

https://apple.news/AbHAvNovvRgKhczCE43Z1rw
    It's against my sincerely held religious beliefs to put anything foreign into my body (other than Budweiser of course).  So no thanks.  Keep your hippie, devil medicine. 
    Hops, barley, yeast and water - what could be closer to nature? 
    Now I hate Bud too, thanks a lot,hippie. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    French pharmaceutical company Valneva has released promising phase 3 trial data on their more traditional inactivated whole virus vaccine. If this does pan out and gets licensed then it would provide an option for those who say that their objection is to novel vaccine formats and not vaccination per se. 

It's against my sincerely held religious beliefs to put anything foreign into my body (other than Budweiser of course).  So no thanks.  Keep your hippie, devil medicine. 
    I've done you a service, then. You're welcome. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Say no to the Covid Jab
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Just smoke the green stuff…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    i_lov_it said:
    Say no to the Covid Jab
    Great advice doctor.  Did you go to Hopkins or NW?
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Just smoke the green stuff…
    I'm surrounded by hippies!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    i_lov_it said:
    Say no to the Covid Jab
    Either you're British or you've reading/watching "news" pushed by the murdochs
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    mrussel1 said:

Umm he said shitty Budweiser. So you forgot to include rice on your ingredients list.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    i_lov_it said:
    Say no to the Covid Jab
    in WA that’s not allowed 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Fully vaxed and tested positive. Not feeling that bad, minor symptoms. But 2 coworkers, fully vaxed also, tested positive Thursday so I decided to get a tested when I started to feel congested. The 3 of us almost equal almost 10% of the staff.
    Weird thing is at least 1 other and myself did a home test and were told we don’t need to do another one. I already scheduled one to be sure. Are home tests being counted in the officials numbers? I would think not, and therefore breakout cases are probably a lot higher than reported.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Fully vaxed and tested positive. Not feeling that bad, minor symptoms. But 2 coworkers, fully vaxed also, tested positive Thursday so I decided to get a tested when I started to feel congested. The 3 of us almost equal almost 10% of the staff.
    Weird thing is at least 1 other and myself did a home test and were told we don’t need to do another one. I already scheduled one to be sure. Are home tests being counted in the officials numbers? I would think not, and therefore breakout cases are probably a lot higher than reported.
    Hope you continue to have a very mild case and recover quickly, and that your family stays well. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    mace1229 said:
    I thought about doing the home test a little while back because I was feeling like crap for days.  But I read that the home test- especially the rapid home test- are unreliable.  I went and got the most up-to-date test.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.  (I turned out to be COVID negative so it was just my old chronic fatigue kicking in again.)  So good question about whether not not the home test are counted in official numbers.
    I hope it's just a mild case. Mace.  Stay well.
    mace1229 said:
    Hope you continue to have a very mild case and recover quickly, and that your family stays well. 

You're well educated and up-to-date on all this, Often.  Do you know if those home test count?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    I thought about doing the home test a little while back because I was feeling like crap for days.  But I read that the home test- especially the rapid home test- are unreliable.  I went and got the most up-to-date test.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.  (I turned out to be COVID negative so it was just my old chronic fatigue kicking in again.)  So good question about whether not not the home test are counted in official numbers.
    mace1229 said:

You're well educated and up-to-date on all this, Often.  Do you know if those home test count?
    Thanks. I’m expecting it to stay mild since I’m fully vaxed, but you never know.
    All the directions kept saying if you don’t do X or Y exactly you will get a false negative, no mention of false positives. I couldn’t find much information about how common a false positive is, but I didn’t really look that hard.
    I would assume there’s  no way a good portion, if any, of the home tests are going into official count numbers unless those people contact their county or other officials. How else would they know? 
    Our assistant principal and another office staff member got tested Thursday and positive result came Friday. When I called my principal this morning to let her know she’s the one that said the AP was told by her doctor she doesn’t need another test if you have 1 or more symptoms. Some hearsay there. And since I have congestion and sore throat I don’t need one, and my school did all the paperwork and already sent out notices to families of my classes notifying them that “an individual” tested positive in the class. I was kind of surprised. I’m getting one tomorrow anyway, figured may as well. 
    But that’s what got me thinking, how many people get a home test and never contact the county? Has to be a good number.
    My wife also read home tests are part of the problem. Since it seems like false negatives are more common, people are thinking it’s just congestion and going back to work. Not sure where she saw that, I don’t usually ask her for sources and fact check her, I have enough issues without doing that.
    The whole privacy thing cracks me up. We get general notices of “an employee” tested positive, then a separate email saying our AP and secretary will be out for 2 weeks. Like the kids won’t figure it out when I’m gone for 2 weeks too. Just one of those things that makes me laugh.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

By "count" do you mean is the data counted or do you mean are the results valid?

If you mean is the data counted, that's complicated because there are several different types of tests that can be done at home. These include tests where the individual does the swab at home but then sends it to a lab to be processed, and tests that are entirely performed and results provided at home.

For the ones where a swab is sent to a lab, then the result would be "counted" in the usual way that the lab would report tests.

For the ones that are entirely done at home, that varies depending on the test and how it's processed. There are some tests where you have to interact with the testing company's site for the result to be read; these include tests where the result is a colour change or a fluorescent reaction, which has to be read by an app that you download or has to be read by a staff member who is present via video. The results from these are supposed to be counted as usual, as the company is supposed to provide that data (to the CDC in the US).

There are also tests that the individual just reads at home without interacting with the testing company at all. In these cases the person is supposed to report test results, particularly positive tests, but I am guessing that people often don't.

As for the validity of the tests - if an at-home swab is sent to a lab and a PCR test is done on it then the results will be as valid as a usual PCR test (assuming the person got an adequate sample, which the test will report on). If it's done entirely at home it can't be a PCR test unless you happen to have an at-home thermocycler. That means that they will be rapid antigen tests, which are less sensitive and less specific than PCR tests. Exactly how sensitive they are depends on a few factors including the timing of the test compared to exposure, viral load, etc.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Thanks. I’m expecting it to stay mild since I’m fully vaxed, but you never know.
    All the directions kept saying if you don’t do X or Y exactly you will get a false negative, no mention of false positives. I couldn’t find much information about how common a false positive is, but I didn’t really look that hard.
    I would assume there’s  no way a good portion, if any, of the home tests are going into official count numbers unless those people contact their county or other officials. How else would they know? 
    Our assistant principal and another office staff member got tested Thursday and positive result came Friday. When I called my principal this morning to let her know she’s the one that said the AP was told by her doctor she doesn’t need another test if you have 1 or more symptoms. Some hearsay there. And since I have congestion and sore throat I don’t need one, and my school did all the paperwork and already sent out notices to families of my classes notifying them that “an individual” tested positive in the class. I was kind of surprised. I’m getting one tomorrow anyway, figured may as well. 
    But that’s what got me thinking, how many people get a home test and never contact the county? Has to be a good number.
    My wife also read home tests are part of the problem. Since it seems like false negatives are more common, people are thinking it’s just congestion and going back to work. Not sure where she saw that, I don’t usually ask her for sources and fact check her, I have enough issues without doing that.
    The whole privacy thing cracks me up. We get general notices of “an employee” tested positive, then a separate email saying our AP and secretary will be out for 2 weeks. Like the kids won’t figure it out when I’m gone for 2 weeks too. Just one of those things that makes me laugh.
    False positive covid test results are rare but not impossible. False negative results are not uncommon with the rapid antigen tests. As above, the sensitivity varies with several factors but on average is more like 60-80% compared to about 98% for PCR tests, depending on whether the test is done on an asymptomatic or symptomatic person. 

The tests are most likely to give an accurate result of an individual's covid status if taken 4-5 days after exposure and if you are symptomatic. If you take the test too early then the results will likely be negative even if you are already positive since you don't yet have enough virus in the nasopharyngeal area.

A picky point but they really shouldn't be calling it a "false negative" if the sample is inadequate, which is what I assume you mean when you talk about the instructions for the test. A real "false negative" should be an adequate sample that falsely reads as negative even though virus/antigens are present. Any test should have a feature to report on an inadequate sample - basically, not enough snot and cells. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

By "count" do you mean is the data counted or do you mean are the results valid?

If you mean is the data counted, that's complicated because there are several different types of tests that can be done at home. These include tests where the individual does the swab at home but then sends it to a lab to be processed, and tests that are entirely performed and results provided at home.

For the ones where a swab is sent to a lab, then the result would be "counted" in the usual way that the lab would report tests.

For the ones that are entirely done at home, that varies depending on the test and how it's processed. There are some tests where you have to interact with the testing company's site for the result to be read; these include tests where the result is a colour change or a fluorescent reaction, which has to be read by an app that you download or has to be read by a staff member who is present via video. The results from these are supposed to be counted as usual, as the company is supposed to provide that data (to the CDC in the US).

There are also tests that the individual just reads at home without interacting with the testing company at all. In these cases the person is supposed to report test results, particularly positive tests, but I am guessing that people often don't.

As for the validity of the tests - if an at-home swab is sent to a lab and a PCR test is done on it then the results will be as valid as a usual PCR test (assuming the person got an adequate sample, which the test will report on). If it's done entirely at home it can't be a PCR test unless you happen to have an at-home thermocycler. That means that they will be rapid antigen tests, which are less sensitive and less specific than PCR tests. Exactly how sensitive they are depends on a few factors including the timing of the test compared to exposure, viral load, etc.
    I meant count as in reported in the total numbers. The one I, and several coworkers, used was a swab I did and you wait 15 minutes and look for the pink lines. All at home. They were the only ones I saw at the store and seemed to be popular as they were limiting them to 2 boxes per customer.
    I imagine many who use those don’t get retested or report their cases. At first I thought it’s guide, and would be told to go to the dr for a new test, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

As far as validity, are most inaccurate readings false negatives?  That’s what the directions lead me to believe. If you don’t get a good swab or don’t use enough of the liquid drops in the test, then it won’t detect the antigens. It didn’t mention anything about false positives.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Ah, very good info, thanks!  :smile:
    The at-home test I was looking at was an all do-it-at-home.  I'm glad I went for the real deal.  Very reassuring to get a much more trustworthy result.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    Good luck getting anywhere in NYC today. Massive protests against the vaccine mandate 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I made an appt to get the Moderna booster tomorrow. I had the J&J back in March so I got right in.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    I made an appt to get the Moderna booster tomorrow. I had the J&J back in March so I got right in.

curious. did you consult with your dr before making the decision?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    nicknyr15 said:
    Good luck getting anywhere in NYC today. Massive protests against the vaccine mandate 
    2020 healthcare workers are hero’s.  2021 your fired?

everyone needs to smoke some green stuff and chill…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited October 2021
  • Options

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    All This In Chains
    Balloonknot
    Stains
    Kings & Queens of the Stoned Age
    Poo Fighters
    Creed
    The Trash

This discussion has been closed.