Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• mickeyrat said:
    this is me testing negative for empathy.

i am sorry for my harshness, but people got sick and some may have died because of this man's words. 

may his story be a cautionary tale. but we all know it will not be.
    I laughed, NGL. 
    i most definitely should not have said that. but it is how i feel. i try to be funny most of the time, but i'm all tapped out right now.

humor is typically based in truth. are you concerned at all what such a stance means for your humanity? doesnt it kind of become an eroding , coroding thing? starts to slip away unnoticed because its subtle?
    i think i have lost some of my humanity over the last 20 months. i have hidden it pretty well, but it has been a bad week for me and i came here for distraction and ended up saying something i should have kept to myself.
    it's nowhere near as bad as you think it is. believe me, most of us get it. most of us have said or at least thought something similar. don't beat yourself up about it. it's just so incredibly frustrating how so many people are willing to die to own the libs. and maybe infect someone else in the meantime, and especially with this guy, who probably is indirectly responsible for other people making the same choices and possibly killing themselves or others. it's staggeringly stupid, and no, I don't feel sorry for them either. 

if it was just taking a selfie on the edge of a cliff, fine, but this affects other people. it's like the person taking the selfie on the edge of the cliff but grabbing on to someone behind a fence and taking them with them to their death. 

seeing the numbers of those kids in ICU's now in NO; it is ENRAGING. 
    thanks for the words, man. i have been angry about the current situation for a while now and i think i am realizing how hopeless the situation is. people are going to do what they want to do, no matter the risk. but i draw the line at them risking other people. that is where my anger comes from. especially when i have sacrificed and done everything in my power to protect THEM. got the vaccine, continue to mask up and wash hands, etc. it is beyond frustrating. now i just feel sad, and me putting things like "testing negative for empathy" out into the universe is not helping anybody.
    well, it kind of is. gives the rest of us who are equally frustrated and sad a laugh, even for a second. 

honestly, that saying should go viral, be on a shirt, etc. 
    lol feel free to use it! though i am probably not the first one to say it, haha
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

i am sorry for my harshness, but people got sick and some may have died because of this man's words. 

I laughed, NGL. 
    i most definitely should not have said that. but it is how i feel. i try to be funny most of the time, but i'm all tapped out right now.

humor is typically based in truth. are you concerned at all what such a stance means for your humanity? doesnt it kind of become an eroding , coroding thing? starts to slip away unnoticed because its subtle?
    i think i have lost some of my humanity over the last 20 months. i have hidden it pretty well, but it has been a bad week for me and i came here for distraction and ended up saying something i should have kept to myself.
    it's nowhere near as bad as you think it is. believe me, most of us get it. most of us have said or at least thought something similar. don't beat yourself up about it. it's just so incredibly frustrating how so many people are willing to die to own the libs. and maybe infect someone else in the meantime, and especially with this guy, who probably is indirectly responsible for other people making the same choices and possibly killing themselves or others. it's staggeringly stupid, and no, I don't feel sorry for them either. 

if it was just taking a selfie on the edge of a cliff, fine, but this affects other people. it's like the person taking the selfie on the edge of the cliff but grabbing on to someone behind a fence and taking them with them to their death. 

This morning the news show host announced that the next guest would be talking about how the children in the hospital with covid are there alone, away from family. I shut it off...can't listen anymore. It's frustrating....how do you get people to care enough to do things so they won't die?...the children won't die or become orphaned or lose one parent? 

that is so awful. 

i imagine part of it is the mentality that "it is going to happen to anybody but me."

those poor kids...

• Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

This morning the news show host announced that the next guest would be talking about how the children in the hospital with covid are there alone, away from family. I shut it off...can't listen anymore. It's frustrating....how do you get people to care enough to do things so they won't die?...the children won't die or become orphaned or lose one parent? 

i can't imagine how frightened those kids would be. it would KILL me to know one of my daughters was in that situation. it was bad enough when my first born was 6 and had a two week stay while they got her colitis under control, and we couldn't stay with her. leaving her there in the evening was TORTURE. I can't imagine weeks on end with ZERO contact. makes me so sad for those kids/families. 
    oh man i am sorry to hear. that must have been terrible. imagine these kids with covid being in the hospital and seeing all of the medical staff with their PPE on. that must be traumatic for them.

i am not a parent. but if i were i would do everything in my power to protect my own kids that are too young to be vaccinated.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Kids are so often the victims of their parents' stupidity. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

i can't imagine how frightened those kids would be. it would KILL me to know one of my daughters was in that situation. it was bad enough when my first born was 6 and had a two week stay while they got her colitis under control, and we couldn't stay with her. leaving her there in the evening was TORTURE. I can't imagine weeks on end with ZERO contact. makes me so sad for those kids/families. 
    oh man i am sorry to hear. that must have been terrible. imagine these kids with covid being in the hospital and seeing all of the medical staff with their PPE on. that must be traumatic for them.

i am not a parent. but if i were i would do everything in my power to protect my own kids that are too young to be vaccinated.
    thanks, it was, but that was nearly 10 years ago, so all good. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

This was what i was trying  to say the other day.  It's  happening  and some can't  see it. I lost a child and i have 4 living children i want to keep  it that way. I wouldn't  wish it on anyone. There are no winners in this pandemic.  What the anti vaxxers and covid deniers are even thinking  is way beyond me and many here.

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Adults dying alone is terrible but  a child even in hospital alone is too much
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I just watched a video on you tube.  A Florida hospital and the  chief medical guy there was saying  how more children are in hospitals in southern states with poor vaccination uptake. 
    I made the mistake of reading  the  comments.  Wow u.s.a has a real problem  on thier  hands. Its disgusting  what  people think.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

This was what i was trying  to say the other day.  It's  happening  and some can't  see it. I lost a child and i have 4 living children i want to keep  it that way. I wouldn't  wish it on anyone. There are no winners in this pandemic.  What the anti vaxxers and covid deniers are even thinking  is way beyond me and many here.

i am so sorry to hear about your child. i had no idea.

i am not sure what they are thinking, but whatever it is it is very problematic for the community as a whole. not just their particular families.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

I can't imagine there's much worse a person can go through than losing a child. 

I'm sorry.  
    edited August 2021
    Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

I can't imagine there's much worse a person can go through than losing a child. 

I'm sorry.  
    No need to be sorry. Not from covid i must add

Im sure plenty of bad things  have happened  to people on here they  may not type it
     But  life is fragile  and it's  for living. Just  sad that these folk  deny its even  happening.  Kids are  becoming  parentless because  the  parent wont get a free vaccine.  Its madness
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    I just watched a video on you tube.  A Florida hospital and the  chief medical guy there was saying  how more children are in hospitals in southern states with poor vaccination uptake. 
    I made the mistake of reading  the  comments.  Wow u.s.a has a real problem  on thier  hands. Its disgusting  what  people think.
    It is for sure...and they just won't believe it until it happens to them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    Kat said:

You know, months ago, my husband, among others, commented on how casually some people were taking the pandemic -- you know, "Oh, well, it mostly affects old people, younger people aren't affected by it." Because when you're young and ignorant, all "old" people are good for is dying or something. My husband (and others) said that, had this been a disease that primarily affects children, society's response would have been much different. I agreed at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

Over the weekend, I read that in -- Texas, I think? -- the governor was pushing to prevent schools from notifying parents if there is an outbreak in their school. WTAF? Who does that? My children are adults now, and my head still nearly exploded when I read that. Even if it's a political ploy (which, clearly, it is), on what planet is it a smart political move to endanger children and anger mothers (and let's not bring Sandy Hook into the discussion -- I know, I know)?

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited August 2021

I don't know if the number of selfish a$$holes in this country is higher than average, but they certainly do exert themselves to maximize their visibility. Bored, spoiled children craving attention.... Reading YT comments rarely is a good idea.

In 2013, we drove to Hartford to see PJ play. Just as we passed the exit for Newtown/ Sandy Hook CT, where a bunch of five- and six-year-olds had been murdered in a school shooting, we came upon a car with a bumper sticker that said something along the lines of "My gun rights are more important than your dead child." We were just... slack-jawed, really. The things that some people feel entitled to say out loud -- or post on social media, or even slap on the back of their car -- is just astonishing. 

Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    edited August 2021

Where are all the Qanon #SaveTheChildren lunatics now? 

Where are all the Qanon #SaveTheChildren lunatics now? 

Oh, I know the answer to this one! They are busy staging rallies to ban masks in schools, so children can breathe freely!

That's not a joke; it's happening here in San Diego, and I heard that the woman leading the local effort is a homeschooling mom, which -- I can't even.

• Where are all the Qanon #SaveTheChildren lunatics now? 
    dude they are over at that pizza joint being pedos. because every accusation they make is a reflection of what they are actually doing.

It must come  down to a lack of intelligence.  It must
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2021
    For some. But I just think many are so dug-in on the political/culture war that they could not find reality with a flashlight and GPS. People also don't like admitting they were wrong and will go to great lengths to hold on to their being right. Anecdotally, I know at least one reasonably intelligent person who used to debate on the opposite side of me that was fairly reasonable but is now so deep in Q nonsense, he barely seems coherent. I don't actually think he is stupid; he's just separated from reality. He can probably talk sports or music with the same level of intelligence as before. But when it comes to the important stuff, it's just one big conspiracy aimed at destroying his vision of the American Way of Life.

Anyone can get sucked into a cult.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Kat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

Beat them into it. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    edited August 2021
    Sorry long story here and have not thought about it for awhile from start to finish so feels good to put it in words again. 

When my middle son was 6 weeks old ( I think that was the age) he was minutes away from dying from respiratory syncytial virus. We woke up one morning after coming home from the doctor the night before because he had a cough and he was unresponsive, gray, and cold to the touch. We rushed him to the hospital ourselves (big mistake on our part thinking we would be faster not thinking paramedics were immediate help) and when we got there it was crazy. It was like slow motion for me watching everything unfold. The nurses and doctors performing CPR on him while everyone else was trying to get the room ready. The needles and ventilator being put on him. The yelling from them trying to work as a team and the urgency needed to save my sons life. Finally after an unknown to me amount of time he let a big cry out which to this day is the best sound I have ever heard in my life. 

I can not believe how many stupid decisions my wife and I made that day and the night before. We should of set an alarm the night before instead of relying on him to wake us up like we usually do. We slept 8 hrs straight with our oldest waking us up at 7am. If he did not wake us up who knows what the outcome would of been. Why did we not just call the ambulance? I have heard stories of up to 20 minute waits in our area but finding out later that was not the norm. Call the fucking ambulance next time you idiot. The doctor told me he was minutes away from not making it and how stupid we were for driving him in. Also we should of been more careful with who was holding him and taking pictures with him the week before. Babies that age have a very hard time fighting off this virus. I did not even know what it was until he had it. Lots of lessons learned that day. My son made a full recovery after a week in the hospital and my wife and I learned some valuable lessons in crisis management and decision making under stress. 

I feel for you guys who have lost a child from anything. 

Post edited by PJNB on
    OnWis97 said:
    For some. But I just think many are so dug-in on the political/culture war that they could not find reality with a flashlight and GPS. People also don't like admitting they were wrong and will go to great lengths to hold on to their being right. Anecdotally, I know at least one reasonably intelligent person who used to debate on the opposite side of me that was fairly reasonable but is now so deep in Q nonsense, he barely seems coherent. I don't actually think he is stupid; he's just separated from reality. He can probably talk sports or music with the same level of intelligence as before. But when it comes to the important stuff, it's just one big conspiracy aimed at destroying his vision of the American Way of Life.

Can they? That is still intellectually  stupid.  Like listening  to face book or whatever social media they  are reading.  Im pretty sure i cannot get sucked into anything 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Oh well can't  change  em
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

PJNB said:
    Sorry long story here and have not thought about it for awhile from start to finish so feels good to put it in words again. 

When my middle son was 6 weeks old ( I think that was the age) he was minutes away from dying from respiratory syncytial virus. We woke up one morning after coming home from the doctor the night before because he had a cough and he was unresponsive, gray, and cold to the touch. We rushed him to the hospital ourselves (big mistake on our part thinking we would be faster not thinking paramedics were immediate help) and when we got there it was crazy. It was like slow motion for me watching everything unfold. The nurses and doctors performing CPR on him while everyone else was trying to get the room ready. The needles and ventilator being put on him. The yelling from them trying to work as a team and the urgency needed to save my sons life. Finally after an unknown to me amount of time he let a big cry out which to this day is the best sound I have ever heard in my life. 

I can not believe how many stupid decisions my wife and I made that day and the night before. We should of set an alarm the night before instead of relying on him to wake us up like we usually do. We slept 8 hrs straight with our oldest waking us up at 7am. If he did not wake us up who knows what the outcome would of been. Why did we not just call the ambulance? I have heard stories of up to 20 minute waits in our area but finding out later that was not the norm. Call the fucking ambulance next time you idiot. The doctor told me he was minutes away from not making it and how stupid we were for driving him in. Also we should of been more careful with who was holding him and taking pictures with him the week before. Babies that age have a very hard time fighting off this virus. I did not even know what it was until he had it. Lots of lessons learned that day. My son made a full recovery after a week in the hospital and my wife and I learned some valuable lessons in crisis management and decision making under stress. 

I feel for you guys who have lost a child from anything. 

That  trauma never leaves you. So glad he made it. And that  scream /big cry is the  best sound you can ever hear. Love to you and him
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    OnWis97 said:

Can they? That is still intellectually  stupid.  Like listening  to face book or whatever social media they  are reading.  Im pretty sure i cannot get sucked into anything 
    very smart people can also get sucked into cult-like thinking (non-thinking) depending on their own psychological needs. it has very little to do with actual intelligence. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Fact is fact though. Science  is fact 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

These  people ignore facts
     Thats  not smart 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Interesting data on infection rates of the vaxed vs the unvaxed.  Not every state is reporting, but in my state of VA, not being vaccinated makes you 170x more likely to get infected.  And we already know that 95+% of hospitalizations are unvaxed. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/data-shows-how-rare-severe-breakthrough-covid-infections-are/index.html
  • KatKat Posts: 4,832
    edited August 2021
    i thought it's a good read. Important point he also makes is that breakthrough cases are being counted if death or hospitalization happens...the count we hear is low.
    I’m Vaccinated And Still Got COVID-19. Here’s What A Breakthrough Case Is Like.
    “Alabama is probably the worst spot to get infected with the coronavirus right now, especially if you’re uninsured like me.”
    headshot
    Jeff Dingler, Guest Writer
    After I was fully vaccinated in April, I felt like it was finally over: the pandemic, mask mandates, the looming threat of lockdowns. By mid-July, I was so confident that things were safer, I booked a flight to visit an old college friend in Seattle, my sole mini-vacay this summer. 
    My cousin, who drove me to the airport, warned me that she’d been sick a few days. I put on my face mask as I rode with her but at the time thought it was only a summer cold. A week later, I was back home in Alabama where my brother said he couldn’t hug me because he caught whatever my cousin had. 
    A week after that, my mother fell ill. That was when I first heard the ominous words: breakthrough case. My mother speculated that she had a breakthrough case of delta, a highly contagious COVID-19 variant that’s surging across much of the country right now, especially here in the Deep South.
    Impossible, I thought. Every member of my immediate family had been vaccinated months before: my brother with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and my cousin, my mother and me with Pfizer. 
    Yes, we live in central Alabama, the heart of the delta variant uptick, a state where it’s been common throughout the whole pandemic to see numbers of mask-less folks at grocery stores and restaurants. Yet I didn’t think a new variant could be so strong it could infect each inoculated relative. 
    Then, late in the evening on July 31, I felt achy and congested.
    When I awoke the next morning, I felt like I had a vise grip around my skull and my lymph nodes were slightly swollen. I was definitely ill. Even though I still doubted that I had COVID, I decided to get tested because I was planning on visiting a close friend the following day, someone who was still fighting “long-haul” symptoms from his own bout with the coronavirus. 
    snipped
    The federal government only keeps track of these breakthrough cases if they result in death or hospitalization. In fact, the CDC hasn't been tracking mild breakthroughs since May. That means the number of breakthrough cases throughout the country, the true number of infected people, is likely much higher. 
    continued at
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/breakthrough-covid-vaccinated-alabama-delta-variant_n_610f29c2e4b041dfbaaaa787

Falling down,...not staying down
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    mickeyrat said:

I laughed, NGL. 

not so sure about that.  keeping it to ones self. the release can be helpful. I dont believe it was said with malice. or felt with it either.

the unexpressed feeling can be a dangerous thing.  24 yrs of active alcoholism tells me that.....

be kind to yourself first gimme. let that spill over to others. even the insufferable assholes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.