Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    the mere fact he feels bad for saying it tells you all you need to know.....
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    edited August 2021
    Kat said:
    i thought it's a good read. Important point he also makes is that breakthrough cases are being counted if death or hospitalization happens...the count we hear is low.
    I’m Vaccinated And Still Got COVID-19. Here’s What A Breakthrough Case Is Like.
    “Alabama is probably the worst spot to get infected with the coronavirus right now, especially if you’re uninsured like me.”
    headshot
    Jeff Dingler, Guest Writer
    After I was fully vaccinated in April, I felt like it was finally over: the pandemic, mask mandates, the looming threat of lockdowns. By mid-July, I was so confident that things were safer, I booked a flight to visit an old college friend in Seattle, my sole mini-vacay this summer. 
    My cousin, who drove me to the airport, warned me that she’d been sick a few days. I put on my face mask as I rode with her but at the time thought it was only a summer cold. A week later, I was back home in Alabama where my brother said he couldn’t hug me because he caught whatever my cousin had. 
    A week after that, my mother fell ill. That was when I first heard the ominous words: breakthrough case. My mother speculated that she had a breakthrough case of delta, a highly contagious COVID-19 variant that’s surging across much of the country right now, especially here in the Deep South.
    Impossible, I thought. Every member of my immediate family had been vaccinated months before: my brother with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and my cousin, my mother and me with Pfizer. 
    Yes, we live in central Alabama, the heart of the delta variant uptick, a state where it’s been common throughout the whole pandemic to see numbers of mask-less folks at grocery stores and restaurants. Yet I didn’t think a new variant could be so strong it could infect each inoculated relative. 
    Then, late in the evening on July 31, I felt achy and congested.
    When I awoke the next morning, I felt like I had a vise grip around my skull and my lymph nodes were slightly swollen. I was definitely ill. Even though I still doubted that I had COVID, I decided to get tested because I was planning on visiting a close friend the following day, someone who was still fighting “long-haul” symptoms from his own bout with the coronavirus. 
    snipped
    The federal government only keeps track of these breakthrough cases if they result in death or hospitalization. In fact, the CDC hasn't been tracking mild breakthroughs since May. That means the number of breakthrough cases throughout the country, the true number of infected people, is likely much higher. 
    continued at
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/breakthrough-covid-vaccinated-alabama-delta-variant_n_610f29c2e4b041dfbaaaa787

They track the cases but they do not differentiate between the two. I wish they would. Also I think its a given vaccinated cases are higher than what we think they are since most will have no symptoms at all. I also think it is a given unvaccinated are as higher well. Of all of the non vaccinated people I know who are hold outs there is no chance they are going to get tested if they have any symptoms unless forced through work or hospitalization. 

The vaccines work. Wether it is to stop you from getting the virus full stop or if it is to lessen the symptoms you would receive they work tremendously well.  I feel like that is getting lost in all of this for some reason. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • PJNB said:
    Sorry long story here and have not thought about it for awhile from start to finish so feels good to put it in words again. 

When my middle son was 6 weeks old ( I think that was the age) he was minutes away from dying from respiratory syncytial virus. We woke up one morning after coming home from the doctor the night before because he had a cough and he was unresponsive, gray, and cold to the touch. We rushed him to the hospital ourselves (big mistake on our part thinking we would be faster not thinking paramedics were immediate help) and when we got there it was crazy. It was like slow motion for me watching everything unfold. The nurses and doctors performing CPR on him while everyone else was trying to get the room ready. The needles and ventilator being put on him. The yelling from them trying to work as a team and the urgency needed to save my sons life. Finally after an unknown to me amount of time he let a big cry out which to this day is the best sound I have ever heard in my life. 

I can not believe how many stupid decisions my wife and I made that day and the night before. We should of set an alarm the night before instead of relying on him to wake us up like we usually do. We slept 8 hrs straight with our oldest waking us up at 7am. If he did not wake us up who knows what the outcome would of been. Why did we not just call the ambulance? I have heard stories of up to 20 minute waits in our area but finding out later that was not the norm. Call the fucking ambulance next time you idiot. The doctor told me he was minutes away from not making it and how stupid we were for driving him in. Also we should of been more careful with who was holding him and taking pictures with him the week before. Babies that age have a very hard time fighting off this virus. I did not even know what it was until he had it. Lots of lessons learned that day. My son made a full recovery after a week in the hospital and my wife and I learned some valuable lessons in crisis management and decision making under stress. 

I feel for you guys who have lost a child from anything. 

i am so glad that this all worked out and that he is okay.

i had a co-worker back in 2003 lose his 3 year old daughter. she went to daycare and ended up choking on a macaroni noodle. they called EMS and everything and the way the noodle was oriented happened to make the heimlich/whatever they do for a toddler impossible. they would do the compressions and the air that normally would have expelled the macaroni passed through the hole in the noodle so she slowly suffocated. she ended up in a vegitative state and eventually passed away. to this day that memorial service has been the saddest thing i have ever experienced in my life. i do not ever want to experience something like that again.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    this is me testing negative for empathy.

i am sorry for my harshness, but people got sick and some may have died because of this man's words. 

may his story be a cautionary tale. but we all know it will not be.
    I laughed, NGL. 
    i most definitely should not have said that. but it is how i feel. i try to be funny most of the time, but i'm all tapped out right now.

humor is typically based in truth. are you concerned at all what such a stance means for your humanity? doesnt it kind of become an eroding , coroding thing? starts to slip away unnoticed because its subtle?
    i think i have lost some of my humanity over the last 20 months. i have hidden it pretty well, but it has been a bad week for me and i came here for distraction and ended up saying something i should have kept to myself.

not so sure about that.  keeping it to ones self. the release can be helpful. I dont believe it was said with malice. or felt with it either.

the unexpressed feeling can be a dangerous thing.  24 yrs of active alcoholism tells me that.....

be kind to yourself first gimme. let that spill over to others. even the insufferable assholes.
    thanks mickey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    meanwhile.....

COVID vaccines to be required for military under new US plan
    By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of the U.S. military will be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine beginning next month under a plan laid out by the Pentagon Monday and endorsed by President Joe Biden. In memos distributed to all troops, top Pentagon leaders said the vaccine is a necessary step to maintain military readiness.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the mid-September deadline could be accelerated if the vaccine receives final FDA approval or infection rates continue to rise.

“I will seek the president’s approval to make the vaccines mandatory no later than mid-September, or immediately upon" licensure by the Food and Drug Administration "whichever comes first,” Austin said in his memo, warning them to prepare for the requirement.

The Pentagon plan provides time for the FDA to give final approval to the Pfizer vaccine, which is expected early next month. Without that formal approval, Austin needs a waiver from Biden to make the shots mandatory, and Biden has already made clear he supports it.

Austin's decision reflects similar moves by governments and companies around the world, as nations struggle with the highly contagious delta variant that has sent new U.S. cases, hospitalizations and deaths surging to heights not seen since last winter. The concerns are especially acute in the military, where service members live and work closely together in barracks and on ships, increasing the risks of rapid spreading. Any large virus outbreak in the military could affect America’s ability to defend itself in any security crisis.

Austin warned that if infection rates rise and potentially affect military readiness, “I will not hesitate to act sooner or recommend a different course to the President if l feel the need to do so. To defend this Nation, we need a healthy and ready force.”

continues......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    PJNB said:
    Sorry long story here and have not thought about it for awhile from start to finish so feels good to put it in words again. 

When my middle son was 6 weeks old ( I think that was the age) he was minutes away from dying from respiratory syncytial virus. We woke up one morning after coming home from the doctor the night before because he had a cough and he was unresponsive, gray, and cold to the touch. We rushed him to the hospital ourselves (big mistake on our part thinking we would be faster not thinking paramedics were immediate help) and when we got there it was crazy. It was like slow motion for me watching everything unfold. The nurses and doctors performing CPR on him while everyone else was trying to get the room ready. The needles and ventilator being put on him. The yelling from them trying to work as a team and the urgency needed to save my sons life. Finally after an unknown to me amount of time he let a big cry out which to this day is the best sound I have ever heard in my life. 

I can not believe how many stupid decisions my wife and I made that day and the night before. We should of set an alarm the night before instead of relying on him to wake us up like we usually do. We slept 8 hrs straight with our oldest waking us up at 7am. If he did not wake us up who knows what the outcome would of been. Why did we not just call the ambulance? I have heard stories of up to 20 minute waits in our area but finding out later that was not the norm. Call the fucking ambulance next time you idiot. The doctor told me he was minutes away from not making it and how stupid we were for driving him in. Also we should of been more careful with who was holding him and taking pictures with him the week before. Babies that age have a very hard time fighting off this virus. I did not even know what it was until he had it. Lots of lessons learned that day. My son made a full recovery after a week in the hospital and my wife and I learned some valuable lessons in crisis management and decision making under stress. 

i had a co-worker back in 2003 lose his 3 year old daughter. she went to daycare and ended up choking on a macaroni noodle. they called EMS and everything and the way the noodle was oriented happened to make the heimlich/whatever they do for a toddler impossible. they would do the compressions and the air that normally would have expelled the macaroni passed through the hole in the noodle so she slowly suffocated. she ended up in a vegitative state and eventually passed away. to this day that memorial service has been the saddest thing i have ever experienced in my life. i do not ever want to experience something like that again.
    oh my god that's awful

www.headstonesband.com

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Kat said:

it's nowhere near as bad as you think it is. believe me, most of us get it. most of us have said or at least thought something similar. don't beat yourself up about it. it's just so incredibly frustrating how so many people are willing to die to own the libs. and maybe infect someone else in the meantime, and especially with this guy, who probably is indirectly responsible for other people making the same choices and possibly killing themselves or others. it's staggeringly stupid, and no, I don't feel sorry for them either. 

if it was just taking a selfie on the edge of a cliff, fine, but this affects other people. it's like the person taking the selfie on the edge of the cliff but grabbing on to someone behind a fence and taking them with them to their death. 

seeing the numbers of those kids in ICU's now in NO; it is ENRAGING. 
    This morning the news show host announced that the next guest would be talking about how the children in the hospital with covid are there alone, away from family. I shut it off...can't listen anymore. It's frustrating....how do you get people to care enough to do things so they won't die?...the children won't die or become orphaned or lose one parent? 

You know, months ago, my husband, among others, commented on how casually some people were taking the pandemic -- you know, "Oh, well, it mostly affects old people, younger people aren't affected by it." Because when you're young and ignorant, all "old" people are good for is dying or something. My husband (and others) said that, had this been a disease that primarily affects children, society's response would have been much different. I agreed at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

Over the weekend, I read that in -- Texas, I think? -- the governor was pushing to prevent schools from notifying parents if there is an outbreak in their school. WTAF? Who does that? My children are adults now, and my head still nearly exploded when I read that. Even if it's a political ploy (which, clearly, it is), on what planet is it a smart political move to endanger children and anger mothers (and let's not bring Sandy Hook into the discussion -- I know, I know)?

This post makes me cry…..because it’s so true but it also makes me feel not quite as alone in my feelings about this.  I am very angry….and it’s so frustrating that there’s not a damn thing we can do about this.  This isn’t like picking up a bayonet and running after each other in a field...this isn’t even like fighting with today’s weapons…..a lot of people’s and children’s life’s are in the hands of strangers full of rage and hate and there is no weapon to stop this. Weapons don’t stop hatred. If we fail this test…..never mind 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    PJNB said:

It’s crazy how your heart starts beating faster and faster when parents share these stories, proof that miracles do happen…so happy it’s all good 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    edited August 2021
    My youngest sis was exposed to delta covid by a roommate in the homeless shelter. She was tested and sent to a hotel to isolate. Being dope sick, she visited my mom for money. I ran into her at the mall, today, where she's stealing for drug money.

Edit: And I'm sorry to read of your loss, England dude!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    My youngest sis was exposed to delta covid by a roommate in the homeless shelter. She was tested and sent to a hotel to isolate. Being dope sick, she visited my mom for money. I ran into her at the mall, today, where she's stealing for drug money.

Edit: And I'm sorry to read of your loss, England dude!
    Sorry you are going through that Tish. That must be tough. Big hugs from NB to BC! 

oh my god that's awful
    That is so sad. I send my kids to daycare every week. Never would I ever think something like that would ever happen. Sick to my stomach for those parents and what they are going through.

It’s crazy how your heart starts beating faster and faster when parents share these stories, proof that miracles do happen…so happy it’s all good 
    I am the same way when I read posts about kids and parents. I am not a sensitive or emotional person normally but when kids are involved that changes things so much for me reading. 
  • PJNB said:

oh my god that's awful
    That is so sad. I send my kids to daycare every week. Never would I ever think something like that would ever happen. Sick to my stomach for those parents and what they are going through.

I am the same way when I read posts about kids and parents. I am not a sensitive or emotional person normally but when kids are involved that changes things so much for me reading. 
    i forgot to mention that both parents were red cross certified professional rescuers. the mom was an instructor. and that even if she had been trying to save their daughter's life the techniques would not have helped due to the orientation of the piece of macroni. just thinking about that breaks my heart all over again.

6 days left of sturgis....
    be interested to see what comes out of ot this year....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    Nurses -- yes, nurses -- who don't want the vaccine protested in front of the Ronald McDonald House in San Diego yesterday because reasons:

I don't want to see any more thought pieces about how we need to listen to the "vaccine-hesitant" and try to understand their point of view. I'm done with that. Be an adult and get the damn vaccine, or stay home.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Nurses -- yes, nurses -- who don't want the vaccine protested in front of the Ronald McDonald House in San Diego yesterday because reasons:

I don't want to see any more thought pieces about how we need to listen to the "vaccine-hesitant" and try to understand their point of view. I'm done with that. Be an adult and get the damn vaccine, or stay home.

choice of location to get attention ya think?

real fucking douche move though.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    OnWis97 said:
    It must come  down to a lack of intelligence.  It must
    For some. But I just think many are so dug-in on the political/culture war that they could not find reality with a flashlight and GPS. People also don't like admitting they were wrong and will go to great lengths to hold on to their being right. Anecdotally, I know at least one reasonably intelligent person who used to debate on the opposite side of me that was fairly reasonable but is now so deep in Q nonsense, he barely seems coherent. I don't actually think he is stupid; he's just separated from reality. He can probably talk sports or music with the same level of intelligence as before. But when it comes to the important stuff, it's just one big conspiracy aimed at destroying his vision of the American Way of Life.

Anyone can get sucked into a cult.
    Can they? That is still intellectually  stupid.  Like listening  to face book or whatever social media they  are reading.  Im pretty sure i cannot get sucked into anything 
    Agreed...if people are too ignorant to seek the truth instead of just automatically believing whatever some Fox News idiot says then they are just plain stupid.  Simple as that.

I made by conversion from the GOP by noticing they were full of shit about 30 years ago.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    mickeyrat said:
    6 days left of sturgis....
    be interested to see what comes out of ot this year....
    Damn 6 days being a
    in a mob like that what a waste they are too! What do they do while there? Drink in mobbed bars & restaurants and ride up& down Main Street ughh 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038

Remember when 4 (four) Americans died in Benghazi and conservatives completely lost their shit pretending that every American life mattered? 

Those were good times. 
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    CM189191 said:

The problem as I see it, is we started with a population who don't want to (or have been taught not to) think critically. Next ingredient: distrust of 'others', to assure we're highly skeptical of those with differing opinions. Add several mountains of misinformation from positions of trust, and you have a pretty damn good undue thought influence system. 

That system has created this reality, and while this cohort likely contains the stupid, the ignorant, the selfish - it also contains legitimately fearful individuals. I'm frustrated that those legitimately fearful individuals are now being grouped as loonies, or ineligible for empathy.

Until the megaphones for misinformation are removed, people will be duped into doing the wrong thing (or, more specifically, the thing the misinformation manufacturers are seeking them to), and until that point, I truly feel for those who have been intentionally misled to believe something seriously dangerous. To the disingenuous folks amongst that cohort, I have little to no respect for, but also little to no ability to differentiate those from the authentic ones.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    mickeyrat said:
    meanwhile.....

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of the U.S. military will be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine beginning next month under a plan laid out by the Pentagon Monday and endorsed by President Joe Biden. In memos distributed to all troops, top Pentagon leaders said the vaccine is a necessary step to maintain military readiness.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the mid-September deadline could be accelerated if the vaccine receives final FDA approval or infection rates continue to rise.

“I will seek the president’s approval to make the vaccines mandatory no later than mid-September, or immediately upon" licensure by the Food and Drug Administration "whichever comes first,” Austin said in his memo, warning them to prepare for the requirement.

The Pentagon plan provides time for the FDA to give final approval to the Pfizer vaccine, which is expected early next month. Without that formal approval, Austin needs a waiver from Biden to make the shots mandatory, and Biden has already made clear he supports it.

Austin's decision reflects similar moves by governments and companies around the world, as nations struggle with the highly contagious delta variant that has sent new U.S. cases, hospitalizations and deaths surging to heights not seen since last winter. The concerns are especially acute in the military, where service members live and work closely together in barracks and on ships, increasing the risks of rapid spreading. Any large virus outbreak in the military could affect America’s ability to defend itself in any security crisis.

Austin warned that if infection rates rise and potentially affect military readiness, “I will not hesitate to act sooner or recommend a different course to the President if l feel the need to do so. To defend this Nation, we need a healthy and ready force.”

continues......

Nothing new here. I served in the USN during Desert Storm, and we got pin cushioned from the time we entered boot camp without any say in the matter or even being told what we were being injected with. It didn't matter what your opinion was, you got the shot. I was stationed overseas, so it was mandatory that I get a Typhoid shot. Every year we had to get a FLU shot. One year I said I didn't want to get it and wasn't going to base medical. My Senior Chief not so politely told me he didn't care what I wanted and told me to get my dumb ass up to medical to get the shot or deal with defying a direct order. I got the shot. 
  • maggie 3 names got suspended from twitter for a week for again spreading covid vaccine disinformation. i think she is on strike 7 or 8, but apparently this was her final warning.

mickeyrat said:
    meanwhile.....

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

continues......

Nothing new here. I served in the USN during Desert Storm, and we got pin cushioned from the time we entered boot camp without any say in the matter or even being told what we were being injected with. It didn't matter what your opinion was, you got the shot. I was stationed overseas, so it was mandatory that I get a Typhoid shot. Every year we had to get a FLU shot. One year I said I didn't want to get it and wasn't going to base medical. My Senior Chief not so politely told me he didn't care what I wanted and told me to get my dumb ass up to medical to get the shot or deal with defying a direct order. I got the shot. 
    yeah, the right wing spin on this like this is something new is not surprising in the least. 

www.headstonesband.com

maggie 3 names got suspended from twitter for a week for again spreading covid vaccine disinformation. i think she is on strike 7 or 8, but apparently this was her final warning.
    She is on Double Secret Probation!
    edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    meanwhile.....

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

continues......

oh I know. Was pin cushion myself.... San Diego RTC. Then VS-37 based at NAS  North Island, CV64 then CV62.....

Really look forward to the right screaming about this......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    meanwhile.....

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

continues......

oh I know. Was pin cushion myself.... San Diego RTC.

Great Mistakes IL, in the Winter. What the hell was I thinking?? 
    maggie 3 names got suspended from twitter for a week for again spreading covid vaccine disinformation. i think she is on strike 7 or 8, but apparently this was her final warning.
    she's probably hoping for a perma-ban so it gives her extra fuel to get more donations

www.headstonesband.com

she's probably hoping for a perma-ban so it gives her extra fuel to get more donations
    Maybe she can start selling MTG cards like those cool ones that Trump is getting ready to fleece honor his loyal followers with.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    meanwhile.....

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
    41 mins ago

continues......

oh I know. Was pin cushion myself.... San Diego RTC.

Great Mistakes IL, in the Winter. What the hell was I thinking?? 

HA!!!!  Friend went there. Cant recall season.

Chicago winter is no joke.

Drive truck now. Had a load near there once about 8 yrs ago. Seeing all those new squidlies on liberty weekend after graduation brought back some memories.....

• maggie 3 names got suspended from twitter for a week for again spreading covid vaccine disinformation. i think she is on strike 7 or 8, but apparently this was her final warning.
    either that, or since on double secret probation she gets to throw a toga party, because that is what you do on double secret probation.

This discussion has been closed.