Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    Kat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:
    Can anyone recommend a good vax app that you can use as proof of vax? Some seem to be phishing so I'm looking for something that isn't doing that. Are there any good ones? Thanks. :) Stay safe.

Here's an article from the Post a few days ago that went through them.  If you can't see it, I can post it in full.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/31/covid-vaccine-card-phone/
    Thanks, we can't post complete articles for copyright reasons but a short portion of it followed by a link is respecting copyrights. That one is behind a paywall so can you characterize it? I've taken a photo of my vax card and some articles are saying that could be enough. Has anyone done that and used the image successfully as proof? :) 
    Yes for a concert. 
  • KatKat Posts: 4,832
    Good to hear.  More like that, please. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Kat said:

Highlights from a very long article..  I'm surprised this is behind the paywall.  Anything covid was supposed to be free. 

Store your scanned CDC card in an app

Use this: ClearVaxYes and Airside.

The three broadly available options we looked into — VaxYes, Airside Digital Identity and Clear — have a few things in common. All three let you carry your digital vaccine cards free. They also all require you to upload images of your CDC card and government ID, and you’ll need to manually type in details about where and when you got your jabs.

VaxYes, created by a start-up called WellPay, converts your card into a fancy bar code known as a QR code. It offers different levels of “verification”: You’ll hit Level 1 just by uploading the files it asks for, which doesn’t do much to prove they’re legit. You’ll continue to achieve higher levels of verification as VaxYes continues its checks.  Airside is more straightforward and does a better job of spelling out who your selfie and ID will be shared with early on. (You can also revoke that consent at any time.) Once you give the company what it asks for, you’re given a digital version of your card that lives inside the Airside app — no scannable QR codes here.  Meanwhile, Clear offers the most comprehensive option: It uses your phone’s camera to check that you’re a living, breathing person, and makes it easy for venue staff to tell the difference between people who just scanned their paper card and people who uploaded a fully authenticated digital record. (More on that below.)

All three have potential issues. Clear is the only service we tested that works just as well on Android phones as it does on iPhones. It’s hard to tell where the proof from these apps will be accepted. VaxYes, which says it has more than 1 million users, told us it’s focusing on states such as Kansas, Texas and South Carolina. And while Clear and Airside’s health passes should pass muster anywhere your paper card does, acceptance still depends on each destination.

Download an official digital health record

Pros: It’s 100 percent verified and can help if you’ve lost your physical CDC card.

Cons: Every state and provider does it differently, and setup can be complicated.

Most states and health-care providers have databases of who has received the vaccine. Increasingly they’re opening them up to citizens so they can download a digital record — a.k.a. one that can’t be easily faked.

These records can take the form of a link to your pharmacy’s website or a QR code you download. California helped lead the way by introducing digital health records in June, and now they’re available from at least six states (and counting) as well as at Walmart, CVS and Walgreens and health-care providers using medical records from Epic and Cerner.

Once you have this digital record, though, what do you do with it? In some cases, like with the Excelsior Pass used by New York businesses, it might be enough to simply show the app with your record on it.

In other cases, you’ll need extra health verification or wallet apps such as CommonPass and Clear, which can confirm your information and store it so you can share it as needed. (Clear is unique in that it accepts either a scan of the CDC card or digital records.) The iPhone’s Health app will gain the ability to hold vaccination records with this fall’s iOS 15 update.

These apps can take different approaches to security: CommonPass keeps your data on your phone, while Clear sends it to its cloud (which it says it has locked down).

We’re going to level with you: The all-digital approach can be a lot of work. Take flying to Hawaii, which in July began accepting vaccination proof as a way to avoid its quarantine. If you’re coming from California, first, you have to download your QR code record from the state website. Then you download the CommonPass app to scan your record so it can check you against Hawaii’s requirements. Then you enter a special code from the CommonPass app into Hawaii’s Safe Travel website to get verified.

The alternative is just to photograph your CDC card and upload it to Hawaii’s website. Either way, you should bring your physical card when you travel just in case there are any technical issues.

The good news: After you set up all of this once, you can access it more quickly in the future. And as the many different players smooth out links between these systems, having digital proof at hand promises to become more useful.

mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:

Highlights from a very long article..  I'm surprised this is behind the paywall.  Anything covid was supposed to be free. 

The three broadly available options we looked into — VaxYes, Airside Digital Identity and Clear — have a few things in common. All three let you carry your digital vaccine cards free. They also all require you to upload images of your CDC card and government ID, and you’ll need to manually type in details about where and when you got your jabs.

VaxYes, created by a start-up called WellPay, converts your card into a fancy bar code known as a QR code. It offers different levels of “verification”: You’ll hit Level 1 just by uploading the files it asks for, which doesn’t do much to prove they’re legit. You’ll continue to achieve higher levels of verification as VaxYes continues its checks.  Airside is more straightforward and does a better job of spelling out who your selfie and ID will be shared with early on. (You can also revoke that consent at any time.) Once you give the company what it asks for, you’re given a digital version of your card that lives inside the Airside app — no scannable QR codes here.  Meanwhile, Clear offers the most comprehensive option: It uses your phone’s camera to check that you’re a living, breathing person, and makes it easy for venue staff to tell the difference between people who just scanned their paper card and people who uploaded a fully authenticated digital record. (More on that below.)

All three have potential issues. Clear is the only service we tested that works just as well on Android phones as it does on iPhones. It’s hard to tell where the proof from these apps will be accepted. VaxYes, which says it has more than 1 million users, told us it’s focusing on states such as Kansas, Texas and South Carolina. And while Clear and Airside’s health passes should pass muster anywhere your paper card does, acceptance still depends on each destination.

Pros: It’s 100 percent verified and can help if you’ve lost your physical CDC card.

Cons: Every state and provider does it differently, and setup can be complicated.

Most states and health-care providers have databases of who has received the vaccine. Increasingly they’re opening them up to citizens so they can download a digital record — a.k.a. one that can’t be easily faked.

These records can take the form of a link to your pharmacy’s website or a QR code you download. California helped lead the way by introducing digital health records in June, and now they’re available from at least six states (and counting) as well as at Walmart, CVS and Walgreens and health-care providers using medical records from Epic and Cerner.

Once you have this digital record, though, what do you do with it? In some cases, like with the Excelsior Pass used by New York businesses, it might be enough to simply show the app with your record on it.

In other cases, you’ll need extra health verification or wallet apps such as CommonPass and Clear, which can confirm your information and store it so you can share it as needed. (Clear is unique in that it accepts either a scan of the CDC card or digital records.) The iPhone’s Health app will gain the ability to hold vaccination records with this fall’s iOS 15 update.

These apps can take different approaches to security: CommonPass keeps your data on your phone, while Clear sends it to its cloud (which it says it has locked down).

We’re going to level with you: The all-digital approach can be a lot of work. Take flying to Hawaii, which in July began accepting vaccination proof as a way to avoid its quarantine. If you’re coming from California, first, you have to download your QR code record from the state website. Then you download the CommonPass app to scan your record so it can check you against Hawaii’s requirements. Then you enter a special code from the CommonPass app into Hawaii’s Safe Travel website to get verified.

The alternative is just to photograph your CDC card and upload it to Hawaii’s website. Either way, you should bring your physical card when you travel just in case there are any technical issues.

The good news: After you set up all of this once, you can access it more quickly in the future. And as the many different players smooth out links between these systems, having digital proof at hand promises to become more useful.

Thank you, m. I'll try looking into this all very soon. It's not safe enough yet but I'll likely need to be prepared to show proof in some places and I want to be ready so there are no problems when I want to go somewhere. Have a good weekend. :)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited August 2021
    Kat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:
    Can anyone recommend a good vax app that you can use as proof of vax? Some seem to be phishing so I'm looking for something that isn't doing that. Are there any good ones? Thanks. :) Stay safe.

Here's an article from the Post a few days ago that went through them.  If you can't see it, I can post it in full.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/31/covid-vaccine-card-phone/
    Thanks, we can't post complete articles for copyright reasons but a short portion of it followed by a link is respecting copyrights. That one is behind a paywall so can you characterize it? I've taken a photo of my vax card and some articles are saying that could be enough. Has anyone done that and used the image successfully as proof? :) 
    It should be fine. It sufficed for my doc.  *edit - docS

Don’t need no stinkin’ app for that!
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • this is about where i'm at.

introducing.....doctors

https://youtu.be/1qyKzGU7Ggw
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • this is about where i'm at.

introducing.....doctors

Couldn't watch more than 1-2 minutes, that woman's up close shot/makeup is going to give me nightmares.  Something creepy there, to me.  :lol: 
    I get the point of it, though, and think that would make a perfect SNL commercial.  Funny stuff.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,303
    Now that’s real covid leadership that we need.

https://apple.news/A8ypmu80MRDmOJgC3Jtkeug
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Kat said:

iOS 15 update this fall will allow us iPhone users to store immunization records in the Health app.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    this is about where i'm at.

introducing.....doctors

Couldn't watch more than 1-2 minutes, that woman's up close shot/makeup is going to give me nightmares.  Something creepy there, to me.  :lol: 
    I get the point of it, though, and think that would make a perfect SNL commercial.  Funny stuff.
    at first I honestly thought it was CGI or something. she's a living emoji
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    Kat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:

Thank you, m. I'll try looking into this all very soon. It's not safe enough yet but I'll likely need to be prepared to show proof in some places and I want to be ready so there are no problems when I want to go somewhere. Have a good weekend. :)

can I ask from where did you recieve your shot(s)?

CVS has a myhealth app that links to various hospital systems and Drs offices.

info here....

my Docs office is linked with nextmd.com which is a patient portal and would have that info too.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    Kat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:

This is clearly a well veiled hint about a soon to be announced Pearl Jam 2022 tour requiring proof of vaccination, right Kat?
     =) 
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I have no info. You know they have to be itching to get out there and do Gigaton live...and everyone is itching to hear it and see them and party like it's 1999. :) We all want the same thing but not until it's safe. I'm just one of those get ready for anything early types. You stay safe and have a beautiful weekend. Big hugs.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    Kat said:
    I have no info. You know they have to be itching to get out there and do Gigaton live...and everyone is itching to hear it and see them and party like it's 1999. :) We all want the same thing but not until it's safe. I'm just one of those get ready for anything early types. You stay safe and have a beautiful weekend. Big hugs.

socially distanced airhugs.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    at this point i think we need to just start shaming the antivaxxers. keep them out of places where they can spread to other people who are masking and following recommendations.

you don't want to get a vaccine? fine. do not go to that restaurant. do not go to that concert. we have done what has been asked of us. we have gotten the vaccine and still wear masks and still wash hands and take precautions. i am tired of doing everything that has been asked of me and still having to fear going to places because of people who refuse to do the bare minimum. 

i believe it is time for rewards and consequences. we should have been on the other side of this thing months ago. the non vaccinated are fucking up my business and costing me money and i am sick of it. 
    Shaming won’t work. Ever. I thinks it’s time for everyone to mind their own business and move on. I’m sick of hearing from both vaccinated and non vaccinated people.  I’m not directing this at you or anyone in particular at all. It’s just tiring. 
    I agree with Nick. Time to mind our own business and move on unless everyone is willing to go the federally mandated route. Shaming has never and will never work for any but the weakest minds.  I’d also like people to stop equating unvaxxed with Trumpers and deplorables.  Sorry to let you know there are progressives, minorities, trans people etc out there turning down the vax for various reasons that have nothing to do with Trump or right wing politics. Some people don’t trust govt, big pharma, news media etc for very legitimate reasons, I think they are wrong on covid obviously, but without a pattern of deceit  spanning years many people wouldn’t have so much mistrust.   I also will guarantee you there is someone you know that is not fully vaxxed and is lying to you that they are. I wish everyone would get vaccinated, but it’s just not going to happen unless things get really bad.  At this point all the stats and finger wagging will literally do nothing.  If anything we need some compassionate teaching in this moment.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    at this point i think we need to just start shaming the antivaxxers. keep them out of places where they can spread to other people who are masking and following recommendations.

you don't want to get a vaccine? fine. do not go to that restaurant. do not go to that concert. we have done what has been asked of us. we have gotten the vaccine and still wear masks and still wash hands and take precautions. i am tired of doing everything that has been asked of me and still having to fear going to places because of people who refuse to do the bare minimum. 

i believe it is time for rewards and consequences. we should have been on the other side of this thing months ago. the non vaccinated are fucking up my business and costing me money and i am sick of it. 
    Shaming won’t work. Ever. I thinks it’s time for everyone to mind their own business and move on. I’m sick of hearing from both vaccinated and non vaccinated people.  I’m not directing this at you or anyone in particular at all. It’s just tiring. 
    I agree with Nick. Time to mind our own business and move on unless everyone is willing to go the federally mandated route. Shaming has never and will never work for any but the weakest minds.  I’d also like people to stop equating unvaxxed with Trumpers and deplorables.  Sorry to let you know there are progressives, minorities, trans people etc out there turning down the vax for various reasons that have nothing to do with Trump or right wing politics. Some people don’t trust govt, big pharma, news media etc for very legitimate reasons, I think they are wrong on covid obviously, but without a pattern of deceit  spanning years many people wouldn’t have so much mistrust.   I also will guarantee you there is someone you know that is not fully vaxxed and is lying to you that they are. I wish everyone would get vaccinated, but it’s just not going to happen unless things get really bad.  At this point all the stats and finger wagging will literally do nothing.  If anything we need some compassionate teaching in this moment.
    I agree. This is where I was coming from only much better expressed. 
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The problem is right wing politicians and media validating those beliefs. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    How's this for some unhinged insanity...

Marjorie Taylor Greene Suggests People Encouraging Others to Get Vaccinated Should Be Shot

Unsurprisingly, that politician is Marjorie Taylor Greene, whose own existence is hopefully inspiring scientists to develop a vaccine against crazy. At an event last month in Alabama, the Georgia representative, who has previously compared mask mandates to the Holocaust and vaccine requirements to segregation, suggested that the Biden administration’s door-to-door vaccination push will result in government officials showing up to people’s homes and demanding personal information for extremely nefarious purposes, and that those people should be greeted with the barrel of a gun.

cussing
    :anguished:
    realmad

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Those waiting for a vaccine app, did they not give cards to everyone?
    I a card, put it in my wallet and took a picture just in case. Haven’t thought about how I’m going to prove it since. What’s the need for an app?
    mace1229 said:
    Those waiting for a vaccine app, did they not give cards to everyone?
    I a card, put it in my wallet and took a picture just in case. Haven’t thought about how I’m going to prove it since. What’s the need for an app?
    1. So you don't have to carry the card. It doesn't fit right in a man's wallet (or billfold)

2. So you don't have to hunt for the photo. 

Just a little convenience. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    I lost my card almost immediately. I knew would. :lol:

I do have pictures of the front and back, and I'm sure it's on file somewhere with someone. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I wasn’t going to respond to this but fuck it.  4.36 billion people have stepped up to make a difference.  Absolutely the majority of us have not died from this vaccine.  We put our lives on the line when we didn’t know what would happen to us. We waited wearing masks and social distancing until our group (by age, etc) was called and we answered that call.  I stopped seeing this as political a long time ago. I don’t give a fuck what your (not you personally) issue is.  Unless you’re unable medically to get the vaccine or under the age of 12 there’s no reason left not to be vaccinated.  I’m tired of all the excuses, tired of hearing that shaming people won’t help.  Tired of seeing nurses cry everyday. Tired of seeing nurses and doctors being disrespected everyday while they’ve been busting their asses for 18+ months, putting themselves and their loved ones in harms way every fucking day.  I’m tired of all of it.  And I tried the shaming and being extremely compassionate and it makes no difference.  So here’s what I say…..fuck you to anyone who doesn’t choose to be vaccinated, plain and simple….fuck you. No compassion, no shaming…just one big fuck you.  
    edited August 2021
    I’m sick of it ALL. 

This country has never been more divided and angry.

Post edited by Kat on
    edited August 2021
    hedonist said:
    I’m sick of it ALL. 

1861, 1968
    Post edited by Kat on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    This country  too. Divided real bad
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    I’m sick of it ALL. 

1861, 1968
    Hair-splitting ;)
    Post edited by Kat on
    edited August 2021
    hedonist said:
    I’m sick of it ALL. 

But that said, Mother Nature is doing a fine job and everyone knows, it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.
    My old ass remember those commercials. And the big N abides by no one or nothing. It’s humbling. 

Post edited by Kat on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,929
    brianlux said:
    How's this for some unhinged insanity...

Marjorie Taylor Greene Suggests People Encouraging Others to Get Vaccinated Should Be Shot

Not so much  a politician as a performance artist -- a very bad one..
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
This discussion has been closed.