Options

UK tribute band getting a cease and desist

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    leespj said:
    I can understand Pearl Jam's management and lawyer's etc having an issue with Pearl Jamm but why (if true) has the band instigated this? Disappointed. If anything Tribute bands only enhance the Pearl Jam brand. Tribute bands can generate more fans of the actual genuine band or even get casual fans going to more gigs, former fans returning to the band they once loved, buying more merch etc.
    Petty if you ask me.  I really hope this is a management and legal matter rather than the band wanting it dealt with. 

I think Pearl Jam enhances Pearl Jam.   Tribute bands are cool but I think you are way off on their influence.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    leespj said:
    I can understand Pearl Jam's management and lawyer's etc having an issue with Pearl Jamm but why (if true) has the band instigated this? Disappointed. If anything Tribute bands only enhance the Pearl Jam brand. Tribute bands can generate more fans of the actual genuine band or even get casual fans going to more gigs, former fans returning to the band they once loved, buying more merch etc.
    Petty if you ask me.  I really hope this is a management and legal matter rather than the band wanting it dealt with. 

I think Pearl Jam enhances Pearl Jam.   Tribute bands are cool but I think you are way off on their influence.  
    The ONLY reason they sell tickets in Missoula is because No Kodiak holds it down between Tester benefits 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    leespj said:

The ONLY reason they sell tickets in Missoula is because No Kodiak holds it down between Tester benefits 
    Same with Fenway.  
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    MedozK said:
    Lazy, blatant copyright infringement. I have no problem with Pearl Jam being aggressive in protecting their intellectual property.
    The funny thing is people are reacting like PJ did this incredibly shitty thing. Cease and desist is pretty much the least aggressive approach to something like this. P Jamm acts like Pearl Jam is some shitty garage band who performs in a storage unit and would just come up to them and say "hey mannn... that's so not cool... change your band's name brooo."
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    MedozK said:
    Lazy, blatant copyright infringement. I have no problem with Pearl Jam being aggressive in protecting their intellectual property.
    The funny thing is people are reacting like PJ did this incredibly shitty thing. Cease and desist is pretty much the least aggressive approach to something like this. P Jamm acts like Pearl Jam is some shitty garage band who performs in a storage unit and would just come up to them and say "hey mannn... that's so not cool... change your band's name brooo."
    Ha, if they would have done a friendly cease and desist phone call or email before the formal cease and desist letter it would have been totally cool  (◔_◔)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,071
    edited January 2021
    MedozK said:
    I am fairly certain you are saying this, just because this is what Pearl Jam did.

If Pearl jam's team would have sent out a more "imformal"  "Hey mannn..." response, your post - I am certain - would have been about how that is pretty much the least aggressive approach to something like this. 

The same with many people in here.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    leespj said:

They seem to be totally cool with the myriad other tribute bands who weren't dumb enough to name themselves Pearl Jamm and sell stickman t-shirts 
    Exactamundo 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    MedozK said:
    Ha, if they would have done a friendly cease and desist phone call or email before the formal cease and desist letter it would have been totally cool  (◔_◔)
    Pearl Jam is a brand, a company if you may. A big one. You actually believe they should've called or emailed some dude/s across the pond? (◔_◔)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    SHZA said:
    MedozK said:
    Pearl Jam is a brand, a company if you may. A big one. You actually believe they should've called or emailed some dude/s across the pond? (◔_◔)
    Well, I mean they must have a pretty good deal with Verizon? If you worry about the phone cost.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    I am fairly certain you are saying this, just because this is what Pearl Jam did.

If Pearl jam's team would have sent out a more "imformal"  "Hey mannn..." response, your post - I am certain - would have been about how that is pretty much the least aggressive approach to something like this. 

The same with many people in here.
    Nope. I wouldn't have expected anything less. I only have unrealistic expectations with my sports teams. 
  • Options
    If naming your tribute band Pearl Jamm gets you a call or letter from a band member do you think that will lead to fewer or more tribute bands ganking your name? Another reason why you just have your lawyer send a letter.
  • Options
    Who has said a band member should have called them?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,513

In the adult world, cease and desist letters are a normal thing and adults don't get upset about receiving them when they are stealing someone else's intellectual property. 
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Nobody should call the copy band. They should just be written to like any other business. The name and merch was poor. So is the new name.  the whole "tribute" written statement thing!
     As for the horrendous very limited "tribute EV telecasters" they make and sell...  
    In any case, I have never seen them, never will. I just don't appreciate cover bands. Especially the ones who somehow inhabit their idols like in Stars in Their Eyes.  I get people doing that once on a crappy show, but making a habit of it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable . 
    Appreciate some like it. Just not for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    What should a PJ tribute band be called ?
    Jearl Pam ? 
    Alive
    Quiet Act 
    Fakinball 
    Teddy Vedder and the 1 song an album writing credit backing band ?
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,212
    SHZA said:
    MedozK said:
    No, I was agreeing with you. Pointing out that it's not realistic, for those that think the band should have done something else instead of the letter that was sent. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    pjl44 said:
    If naming your tribute band Pearl Jamm gets you a call or letter from a band member do you think that will lead to fewer or more tribute bands ganking your name? Another reason why you just have your lawyer send a letter.
    i was just going to say this exact thing. "hey, i'm going to start performing as eddie veddur and maybe Ed will personally call me to ask me politely to stop!". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    i was just going to say this exact thing. "hey, i'm going to start performing as eddie veddur and maybe Ed will personally call me to ask me politely to stop!". 
    So again, who has said that Eddie Vedder should have called them up?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    pjl44 said:
    The cover band.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    pjl44 said:
    The cover band.
    Haha. In the overly long sttement? Need to read it. 

This sure is a Legal Pickle.

EDIT: Haha. "We would have had reached out to you"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2021
    Lol
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    MedozK said:
    No, I was agreeing with you. Pointing out that it's not realistic, for those that think the band should have done something else instead of the letter that was sent. 
    My bad my bad. We need a sarcasm font. I suck at reading into emojis  Lol 
  • Options
     As for the horrendous very limited "tribute EV telecasters" they make and sell...  
    I had to look this up. Slap a couple stickers on and sell a telecaster for almost double the price. These guys are a trip.
  • Options
    PorchRatsPorchRats Albany, NY Posts: 164
    RatherBe said:
    PorchRats said:
    PJ has gotten lamer and lamer over the years... sad to see 😕
    Porch Rats would be a great name for a Pearl Jam tribute band.
    Ha definitely. To be clear I do think it’s totally reasonable to request the change. I just wish they didn’t go straight to lawyers to do it 
    2000: Saratoga
    2003: Albany, Hartford, Camden 1+2,
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 2,
    2008: Mansfield,
    2010 MSG 1+2,
    2011: Alpine Valley 1+2
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn 1+2, Philly 1+2, Hartford
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    pjl44 said:
    if i got a cease and desist from the band i would do the following:

1. immediately change my band name and immediately stop selling pirated merch
    2. NOT go on various social media sites and advertise my butthurt, nor send a letter appealing to members of pearl jam
    3. see #1. do not change new band name to draw attention to the fact that pearl jam legal team is making us change our name
    4. frame and hang that cease and desist letter on my wall. because when you think about it, getting any kind of letter from the band's legal team is actually pretty metal.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    Nobody should call the copy band. They should just be written to like any other business. The name and merch was poor. So is the new name.  the whole "tribute" written statement thing!
    In any case, I have never seen them, never will. I just don't appreciate cover bands. Especially the ones who somehow inhabit their idols like in Stars in Their Eyes.  I get people doing that once on a crappy show, but making a habit of it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable . 
    who is selling these teles and why have I not seen them? anybody got a link?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if linking to it is frowned upon. Just Google the illegal band name, our favorite lead singer, and the guitar type. I found it that way.
  • Options
    It’s a squier tele, not a fender.  
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,513
    mcgruff10 said:
    It’s a squier tele, not a fender.  
    Just saw it... that's sad.

Am I the only one who's thinking the cease & desist WAS polite? If PJ really wanted to be dicks they could have outright sued them.