Options

Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I'm still at the "swing at anything close" level with my team. And I don't know if I'll change that strategy as we move up the ranks; the umps would have to change the way they call balls and strikes for me to change the way that we hit.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    doesn't good sportsmanship kinda demand your best at all times? or should demand it?
    Football teams take a knee at the goal line all the time.  Or don't kick a fg late.  It's pretty common, especially in college when the disparity can be significant. 

Of course there's the old, probably false tale of when OSU smoked Michigan in 68 I think, 50-15.  Woody was asked why he went for two late in the game, and he said "because I couldn't go for three".  Probably not true though. Still funny.
    I was actually going to comment that baseball isn't football, so I don't think the same rationale applies. while it's unlikely that a team down 11-3 isn't likely going to win the game, it's still way more probable than if a football team is up 60-20. I've never heard of this unwritten rule about baseball. that's weird to me. it's not unheard of to see high scoring single innings. imagine you're up 11-3, decide not to swing on the 4th pitch, take the walk, and the other team scores 9 in the last inning to win. how dumb would that be?
    Well you may not think the analogy applies, but it's a fact that certain actions are not looked upon favorably in the pros.  Stealing and swinging on 3-0 during a blowout are two examples.  Could they have lost after being up 11-3 in the 8th?  Sure.  But the risk is remote, at best.  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    dankind said:
    I'm still at the "swing at anything close" level with my team. And I don't know if I'll change that strategy as we move up the ranks; the umps would have to change the way they call balls and strikes for me to change the way that we hit.
    I presume you mean a little league team, and yeah that's true.  Put the ball in play, put pressure on the defense at that age.  Infield hits are a dime a dozen.  But that mentality should be gone by 14 or so. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,857
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    doesn't good sportsmanship kinda demand your best at all times? or should demand it?
    Football teams take a knee at the goal line all the time.  Or don't kick a fg late.  It's pretty common, especially in college when the disparity can be significant. 

Of course there's the old, probably false tale of when OSU smoked Michigan in 68 I think, 50-15.  Woody was asked why he went for two late in the game, and he said "because I couldn't go for three".  Probably not true though. Still funny.
    I was actually going to comment that baseball isn't football, so I don't think the same rationale applies. while it's unlikely that a team down 11-3 isn't likely going to win the game, it's still way more probable than if a football team is up 60-20. I've never heard of this unwritten rule about baseball. that's weird to me. it's not unheard of to see high scoring single innings. imagine you're up 11-3, decide not to swing on the 4th pitch, take the walk, and the other team scores 9 in the last inning to win. how dumb would that be?
    Well you may not think the analogy applies, but it's a fact that certain actions are not looked upon favorably in the pros.  Stealing and swinging on 3-0 during a blowout are two examples.  Could they have lost after being up 11-3 in the 8th?  Sure.  But the risk is remote, at best.  
    I just don't understand why a pro team would risk it, especially in baseball. I agree it's not likely, but it's so much less likely in other sports. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=638HZnUTWVE
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I just don't understand why a pro team would risk it, especially in baseball. I agree it's not likely, but it's so much less likely in other sports. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=638HZnUTWVE
    Playoffs they likely wouldn't.  162 game season,  yes. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    These words are fascinating.  And it's interesting because it goes to show that even in the world of sports where you would figure so many things should be cut and dry....  there is a fine gray area where human emotions play a strong role especially in team sports and especially in contact team sports. 

The dream of good sportsmanship is rooted in all players being good sportsmen.  Which is of course non-existent.  In hockey, if you run up the score because you're 'being good sportsmen' sure 10 players will appreciate and respect the good sportsmanship being shown by not letting up.  8 however will see things through  a different lens and interpret the effort as an act of disrespect and respond by bludgeoning an opposing player at the first opportunity.  :)  

These numbers are uneducated estimates and would tip one way or another usually depending on a coach. 

Good sportsmanship is sometimes sacrificed for safety and survival lol. 

That coach usually sends in the goons to start a damn fight.  Actually, do they do that anymore?
    No they do not do that anymore…lol.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,680
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    These words are fascinating.  And it's interesting because it goes to show that even in the world of sports where you would figure so many things should be cut and dry....  there is a fine gray area where human emotions play a strong role especially in team sports and especially in contact team sports. 

The dream of good sportsmanship is rooted in all players being good sportsmen.  Which is of course non-existent.  In hockey, if you run up the score because you're 'being good sportsmen' sure 10 players will appreciate and respect the good sportsmanship being shown by not letting up.  8 however will see things through  a different lens and interpret the effort as an act of disrespect and respond by bludgeoning an opposing player at the first opportunity.  :)  

These numbers are uneducated estimates and would tip one way or another usually depending on a coach. 

That coach usually sends in the goons to start a damn fight.  Actually, do they do that anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ364V_vWN4
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    The post Tom Wilson fight... hate that fucking guy.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm going to go very out of my way to watch the first Rangers vs Caps game with Reaves in the lineup. :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm going to go very out of my way to watch the first Rangers vs Caps game with Reaves in the lineup. :) 
    Take a shot at Ovi. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

A few guys tugging and wrestling is not a brawl…lmfao.  

This is a brawl.  It’s not a brawl until the goalies duke out…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVZYWuA_0EH

people want fighting. Out of hockey…not 1 person goes to the concession when a a fight breaks out…

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVZYWuA_0E
    Oh right,  this is when the Russian 5 decided that America was a better place to live than Russia.  Boy were they wrong,  eh? That's why you always root for Russia over the US.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

Oh right,  this is when the Russian 5 decided that America was a better place to live than Russia.  Boy were they wrong,  eh? That's why you always root for Russia over the US.
    What’s that got to do with my post…you sound pathetic…your are very insecure.  The difference between you and me is I can separate politics from a countries citizens…

Or maybe you are a jilted lover…

and a very typical indoctrinated American.

Quite honestly why would I even really root for 1 or the other…I could care less which of you wins.  Unless your talking hockey…I always root for Canada 🇨🇦 v Russian final…that’s because we have a deep history with Russian hockey.

The Russian 5 came for the money.  But I don’t really care either way.  

They would have played in Canada if a Canadian team held their rights…

Should I call you a waambulance?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

What’s that got to do with my post…you sound pathetic…your are very insecure.  The difference between you and me is I can separate politics from a countries citizens…

Quite honestly why would I even really root for 1 or the other…I could care less which of you wins.  Unless your talking hockey…I always root for Canada 🇨🇦 v Russian final…that’s because we have a deep history with Russian hockey.

Nah, I just think your arguments across the board are pathetic.  Doesn't matter which thread. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nah, I just think your arguments across the board are pathetic.  Doesn't matter which thread. 
    this
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "or maybe you are a jilted lover"

what in the holy hell does that even mean? LOL maybe post another pic of Trudeau in blackface so you can make yourself feel better. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I went and watched a you video on the US flag and anthem…I am so wrong….USA USA USA 🇺🇸 sign me up fo your next war…lmfao.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I went and watched a you video on the US flag and anthem…I am so wrong….USA USA USA 🇺🇸 sign me up fo your next war…lmfao.
    Try to construct that sentence again.  
  • Options
    I went on Amazon and order myself an American Flag

USA USA USA
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I’m going to watch a good ‘ol Hollywood WW2 movie to really get behind the US.

I will ignore every war the US involved in since…because that may put my loyalty in doubt.  I will also forget the spying on her allies.

USA USA USA 🇺🇸 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I’m going to watch a good ‘ol Hollywood WW2 movie to really get behind the US.

I will ignore every war the US involved in since…because that may put my loyalty in doubt.  I will also forget the spying on her allies.

USA USA USA 🇺🇸 
    You're a sad,  sad person. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,646
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I would still say that the general opinions are changing on this particular topic.  The support for Tatis from other players was overwhelmingly positive. Even from pitchers.  Could be a new school thing but some retired greats definitely spoke up supporting swinging at 3-0.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I would still say that the general opinions are changing on this particular topic.  The support for Tatis from other players was overwhelmingly positive. Even from pitchers.  Could be a new school thing but some retired greats definitely spoke up supporting swinging at 3-0.  

It's going to be a very very slow change if it happens at all. Most sports, or at least the three I follow (Baseball, Hockey, Football) all have interesting unwritten rules and also have a host of 'old school' mentality in coaching and managing. You mix in that these are all team sports with multiple people and it would take something quite drastic to get any fundamental change. 

Might seem weird but this is what I love about sports... these little storylines. 

You take the Tatis situation.  Beyond us, the public, with our opinions... and analysts, etc.  You have the players.  Of the players on that 40 man roster, there's a real, real, real good chance that you have a mixed bag of opinions as well.   If you're a Padre for example and you 100% support Tatis and don't think he did anything wrong then you basically can't say squat about any other team breaking those unwritten rules against you. 

I love this kind of stuff... love that we're talking about it. :)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Baseball is different from any other sport in that the team trailing always has a chance to win. An 11-3 lead in baseball doesn't mean shit when the trailing team is up to bat last.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,926
    edited August 2021
    An nfl qb can throw a 85 yard td pass up 42-0 and we don’t blink an eye but someone swings 3-0 up 9 and the next guy up gets a 95 mph in the back.  Makes no sense. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Baseball is different from any other sport in that the team trailing always has a chance to win. An 11-3 lead in baseball doesn't mean shit when the trailing team is up to bat last.
    Actually, according to this link it is 100% that the visiting team will win.  Obviously it has happened, but you make it out like it happens all the time.  It does not.  

https://gregstoll.com/~gregstoll/baseball/stats.html#H.-8.9.0.1.0.0
  • Options
    exactly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Talk about spreading misinformation. 
  • Options
    Talk about spreading misinformation. 
    this is what you call "calling out a troll"? BWAHAHAHAHA. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    This thread is starting to look like a swing and a miss.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.