Options

Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Pretty much.  It seems racism gets tolerated when it comes to indigenous peoples.

But racism also gets tolerated when it's your guy, even liberals.  The last few years has proved to me that Canada is far more racist than people ever want to admit...fuck, we elected a liberal prime minister that had photos survace of him wearing black face...him and his supporters have more excuses than a 2 year old...”he was young” or my favorite “i didn't even know what blackface was,” yeah right...

Elect anyone...don’t elect a known racist.  But liberals love him...

My favorite is the money...We spend about 30 billion a year on indigenous affairs.  People gripe about that...lol

Some reserves are in rough shape, some are not so bad.  Some chiefs are crooked, some are excellent and do good work.  Very similar to politics everywhere.  The reserve I visit most frequently for my Cannabis fix is in real good shape.

People bitch about accountability in reserves with the money.  The last Prime Minister, Steven Harper had legislation passed that required accountability...but our racist PM got rid of that legislation.  It isno win.  I would think accountability would benefit the little guy in the reserve and keep the chief accountable...guess not.  

Maybe it's time to desegregate the reserves.   Really get white folks up in arms then...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    brianlux said:

Pretty much.  It seems racism gets tolerated when it comes to indigenous peoples.

But racism also gets tolerated when it's your guy, even liberals.  The last few years has proved to me that Canada is far more racist than people ever want to admit...fuck, we elected a liberal prime minister that had photos survace of him wearing black face...him and his supporters have more excuses than a 2 year old...”he was young” or my favorite “i didn't even know what blackface was,” yeah right...

My favorite is the money...We spend about 30 billion a year on indigenous affairs.  People gripe about that...lol

Some reserves are in rough shape, some are not so bad.  Some chiefs are crooked, some are excellent and do good work.  Very similar to politics everywhere.  The reserve I visit most frequently for my Cannabis fix is in real good shape.

People bitch about accountability in reserves with the money.  The last Prime Minister, Steven Harper had legislation passed that required accountability...but our racist PM got rid of that legislation.  It isno win.  I would think accountability would benefit the little guy in the reserve and keep the chief accountable...guess not.  

Maybe it's time to desegregate the reserves.   Really get white folks up in arms then...lol
    Were you appalled by black face in the 80s? Did you protest when the movie Soul Man came out?  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Were you appalled by black face in the 80s? Did you protest when the movie Soul Man came out?  
    I was appalled at that movie but only because of how bad it was.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,871
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

And how did he feel about Silver Streak? Wilder in a gross stereotypical act of being black
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

And how did he feel about Silver Streak? Wilder in a gross stereotypical act of being black
    I often wonder how many of us called our friends "fag" or "gay" as a joking insult.  If you did that, even as a teen in the 80's, you should be outlawed from running for public office or generally being employed. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

I often wonder how many of us called our friends "fag" or "gay" as a joking insult.  If you did that, even as a teen in the 80's, you should be outlawed from running for public office or generally being employed. 
    https://youtu.be/sKrpl-KBTzQ
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

I never did that myself, although when I was 15 and started smoking a friend of mine asked If I had a fag.  He was using the UK slang meaning cigarette. This was mid 60's and that term had not come into common use as a disparaging remark toward gays like it (sadly) is today.   So I first learned "fag" to mean cigarette.  It also means "to be boring and tiring to do":  It's such a fag to have to make you bed every morning.

Another good word ruined.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

In my teens, I’d say “that’s gay”. With that (and my other) skeletons, I’m done for =)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

Guilty as charged.  Older kids also taught us a game called smeer the queer (kill the man with the football).  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

Guilty as charged.  Older kids also taught us a game called smeer the queer (kill the man with the football).  
    Yeah, alternate name for Kill the Carrier
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

I think we turned out alright.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I'll agree with that! 

I think we turned out alright.  

SAYS WHO?

hahahaha
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    @mrussel1  I think you’ll appreciate this story.  

I was playing wiffleball with my son the other day, I was batting and it was a 3-0 count.  He said to me, “remember you can’t swing.”
      I was like, “ugh what? Why not?”  “Because if you get a hit on 3-0 it might hurt the pitchers feelings.”   
    We had a long talk but he told me that s how they play.  I am still in disgust.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I was playing wiffleball with my son the other day, I was batting and it was a 3-0 count.  He said to me, “remember you can’t swing.”
      I was like, “ugh what? Why not?”  “Because if you get a hit on 3-0 it might hurt the pitchers feelings.”   

hurt the pitchers feelings? no chance of motivating to do better? idk, 3-0 might not swing in the chance of a walk. Hows his feelings then......

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Er... what? You don't swing 3-0 if you are up by ten runs or something. But otherwise it's his job to get you out.  Where did your son learn that?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Er... what? You don't swing 3-0 if you are up by ten runs or something. But otherwise it's his job to get you out.  Where did your son learn that?

dont hurt you feelings little league.....

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2021
    mcgruff10 said:

That’s how they play in MLB too.  The Rangers threw a fit last year to the media when Tatis hit a 3-0 pitch for a grand slam.  Unwritten rules are stupid.  I teach my youngest how to dominate lol
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Probably my ex wife.  

I'm pressing my kid hard about this 3-0 stuff.  He's telling me it's not nice and disrespectful to the pitcher.  I'm gonna lose it. lol
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    mcgruff10 said:

That’s how they play in MLB too.  The Rangers threw a fit last year to the media when Tatis hit a 3-0 pitch for a grand slam.  Unwritten rules are stupid.  I teach my youngest how to dominate lol
    It depends on the situation.  You absolutely can get a green light in a normal game.  Same concept with stealing. You don't do it when you're leading big. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    If the pitcher throws a pitch that you like, hit it.
    At any count, at any point in the game, unless you are working a walk or taking a pitch is some strategic thing.
    I would teach the kids this and that any other way is lame.  
    To think major leaguers object is hilarious.  (Not questioning that they did/do, just laughing at them.)
  • Options
    At any count, at any point in the game, unless you are working a walk or taking a pitch is some strategic thing.
    To think major leaguers object is hilarious.  (Not questioning that they did/do, just laughing at them.)
    Agree on all counts.  To me you can swing 3-0 up one run or fifteen.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gotta listen to the coaches, of course, but yes.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gotta listen to the coaches, of course, but yes.
    Absolutely.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It depends on the situation.  You absolutely can get a green light in a normal game.  Same concept with stealing. You don't do it when you're leading big. 
    I disagree with the oldschool approach there.  I don't even think a coach should be stopping that in MLB.  Game isn’t over.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I was taught not to swing on 3-0 simply because of the possibility of a walk. It's kind of always been a rule of thumb that extends to the Majors ("I wonder if they'll green-light him here on a 3 and 0 count").

I kinda wonder where your kid heard that. Sometimes norms like that get morphed by over-zealous culture warriors who are always on the lookout for someone being too soft. Like, maybe your kid picked this up third-hand and it traces back to some father saying it sarcastically. I mean, if anything, not swinging is what's going to bug the pitcher (if it results in a walk anyway)...swinging lets a pitcher who can't throw strikes (common in little league and Target Field) off the hook.

Is the idea of not swinging on 3-0 because of "feelings" stupid? Yeah. But I'm going to need more than that story to believe that it's really a big thing now. Whatever bad political correctness has (and it can be bad in many instances), the reactions to it, assumptions of it, and manufacturing of it are probably far more prevalent.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I disagree with the oldschool approach there.  I don't even think a coach should be stopping that in MLB.  Game isn’t over.  
    I don't have strong feelings either way. But note that the approach is old school.  In other words, it's either not symptomatic of how out-of-control PC we've become or we've always been a bunch of soft, whiny PC babies.

I mean, some stuff can be sportsmanship and respect without actually being the downfall of society.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    edited August 2021
    25 years ago the principal called to say our son was going to be suspended for one day for being too aggressive during a game in gym. “How’s that” we asked, “he was determined to win instead of just participating” replied the principal.  Needless to say that suspension never occurred.  You can be respectful and still actually play the game - swing at the ball if for no other reason then to get the practice.
     My husband would scream at the other coach if he wouldn’t steal because they were up by too many runs.  He thought it was insulting.  How are the kids supposed to truly learn the game like that was his reasoning. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You may disagree,  but it happens. It's a players rule.  The guy up behind you will get drilled if you swing 3-0, up big,  late.