Options

Cleveland Indians to drop "Indians" from team name after 105 years

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    OnWis97 said:
    I was taught not to swing on 3-0 simply because of the possibility of a walk. It's kind of always been a rule of thumb that extends to the Majors ("I wonder if they'll green-light him here on a 3 and 0 count").

I kinda wonder where your kid heard that. Sometimes norms like that get morphed by over-zealous culture warriors who are always on the lookout for someone being too soft. Like, maybe your kid picked this up third-hand and it traces back to some father saying it sarcastically. I mean, if anything, not swinging is what's going to bug the pitcher (if it results in a walk anyway)...swinging lets a pitcher who can't throw strikes (common in little league and Target Field) off the hook.

Is the idea of not swinging on 3-0 because of "feelings" stupid? Yeah. But I'm going to need more than that story to believe that it's really a big thing now. Whatever bad political correctness has (and it can be bad in many instances), the reactions to it, assumptions of it, and manufacturing of it are probably far more prevalent.
    Agreed.  It could be a misinterpretation by the young man,  assuming it's a kindness thing rather than the old "walks as good as a hit" mantra. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @mrussel1  I think you’ll appreciate this story.  

I was playing wiffleball with my son the other day, I was batting and it was a 3-0 count.  He said to me, “remember you can’t swing.”
      I was like, “ugh what? Why not?”  “Because if you get a hit on 3-0 it might hurt the pitchers feelings.”   
    We had a long talk but he told me that s how they play.  I am still in disgust.  
    That’s how they play in MLB too.  The Rangers threw a fit last year to the media when Tatis hit a 3-0 pitch for a grand slam.  Unwritten rules are stupid.  I teach my youngest how to dominate lol
    It depends on the situation.  You absolutely can get a green light in a normal game.  Same concept with stealing. You don't do it when you're leading big. 
    I disagree with the oldschool approach there.  I don't even think a coach should be stopping that in MLB.  Game isn’t over.  
    You may disagree,  but it happens. It's a players rule.  The guy up behind you will get drilled if you swing 3-0, up big,  late.  
    I had the same debate with a retired major league pitcher that i work with.  He told me about the mandatory beanings lol.  I still don’t mind these young guys blasting off if it’s right there for the taking.          If a pitcher wants to retaliate that’s their own business lol. 

I dont think a little kid should be told it hurts the pitchers feelings tho.  That’s insane. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much.  It seems racism gets tolerated when it comes to indigenous peoples.

But racism also gets tolerated when it's your guy, even liberals.  The last few years has proved to me that Canada is far more racist than people ever want to admit...fuck, we elected a liberal prime minister that had photos survace of him wearing black face...him and his supporters have more excuses than a 2 year old...”he was young” or my favorite “i didn't even know what blackface was,” yeah right...

Elect anyone...don’t elect a known racist.  But liberals love him...

My favorite is the money...We spend about 30 billion a year on indigenous affairs.  People gripe about that...lol

Some reserves are in rough shape, some are not so bad.  Some chiefs are crooked, some are excellent and do good work.  Very similar to politics everywhere.  The reserve I visit most frequently for my Cannabis fix is in real good shape.

People bitch about accountability in reserves with the money.  The last Prime Minister, Steven Harper had legislation passed that required accountability...but our racist PM got rid of that legislation.  It isno win.  I would think accountability would benefit the little guy in the reserve and keep the chief accountable...guess not.  

Maybe it's time to desegregate the reserves.   Really get white folks up in arms then...lol
    Were you appalled by black face in the 80s? Did you protest when the movie Soul Man came out?  
    I was appalled at that movie but only because of how bad it was.
    I'll agree with that! 

And how did he feel about Silver Streak? Wilder in a gross stereotypical act of being black
    I often wonder how many of us called our friends "fag" or "gay" as a joking insult.  If you did that, even as a teen in the 80's, you should be outlawed from running for public office or generally being employed. 
    Guilty as charged.  Older kids also taught us a game called smeer the queer (kill the man with the football).  
    Was just called "kill the man with the ball" in my neighborhood.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    My son keeps bringing up that Tatis grand slam.  Maybe that’s the root of it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My son keeps bringing up that Tatis grand slam.  Maybe that’s the root of it.  
    Yeah that was the 8th inning and 11-3 at the time.  There's certainly arguments for both.  Tatis also ignored the take sign. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    edited August 2021
    I think we’ll see things like this and bat flips fade away.  

“ So you take a pitch...now you're 3-1. Then the pitcher comes back with a great setup pitch...3-2. Now you're ready to groundout into a double play. Everyone should hit 3-0. Grand Slams are a huge stat”
    ————Johnny Bench 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    I think we’ll see things like this and bat flips fade away.  

“ So you take a pitch...now you're 3-1. Then the pitcher comes back with a great setup pitch...3-2. Now you're ready to groundout into a double play. Everyone should hit 3-0. Grand Slams are a huge stat”
    ————Johnny Bench 
    Except the score is 11-3. Who cares about the dp. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    *eyes glazed over”

:lol:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    doesn't good sportsmanship kinda demand your best at all times? or should demand it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    doesn't good sportsmanship kinda demand your best at all times? or should demand it?
    Football teams take a knee at the goal line all the time.  Or don't kick a fg late.  It's pretty common, especially in college when the disparity can be significant. 

Of course there's the old, probably false tale of when OSU smoked Michigan in 68 I think, 50-15.  Woody was asked why he went for two late in the game, and he said "because I couldn't go for three".  Probably not true though. Still funny.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Football teams take a knee at the goal line all the time.  Or don't kick a fg late.  It's pretty common, especially in college when the disparity can be significant. 

Of course there's the old, probably false tale of when OSU smoked Michigan in 68 I think, 50-15.  Woody was asked why he went for two late in the game, and he said "because I couldn't go for three".  Probably not true though. Still funny.

may have been at one time up north or at osu but sec got everyone running up the score to get in the playoffs.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

may have been at one time up north or at osu but sec got everyone running up the score to get in the playoffs.
    Yeah that definitely started in the BCS era.... another unfortunate byproduct. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited August 2021
    BCS?  OSC? sec?
    Oh wait, I know that last one- "wait a sec!"  :lol:

Ack ack ack aaaacaacronyms!  :anguished:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Things could get interesting:

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/07/31/cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-files-trademark-application/?fbclid=IwAR3IM2txraigzRRSuSjB85XTgaCUQ997LItQ4kMXB3e6ga0vx4KYVjNNAhM

Cleveland Guardians roller derby team files trademark application

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - There’s a trademark battle for the name Cleveland Guardians.

The local roller derby team filed a trademark application July 27 for rights to “Cleveland Guardians.”

The baseball team filed their own application July 23 with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. That’s the same day the team announced “Cleveland Guardians” as their new name.

However, according to trademark attorney Josh Gerben, the Cleveland Indians first submitted a trademark filing on April 8 in the Republic of Mauritius, a small island nation near Africa.

That means the Indians can claim April 8 as their “priority” filing date in the United States, according to a tweet posted by Gerben.

Both groups are seeking to use the name on clothing, accessories and more.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Things could get interesting:

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/07/31/cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-files-trademark-application/?fbclid=IwAR3IM2txraigzRRSuSjB85XTgaCUQ997LItQ4kMXB3e6ga0vx4KYVjNNAhM

Cleveland Guardians roller derby team files trademark application

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - There’s a trademark battle for the name Cleveland Guardians.

The local roller derby team filed a trademark application July 27 for rights to “Cleveland Guardians.”

The baseball team filed their own application July 23 with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. That’s the same day the team announced “Cleveland Guardians” as their new name.

However, according to trademark attorney Josh Gerben, the Cleveland Indians first submitted a trademark filing on April 8 in the Republic of Mauritius, a small island nation near Africa.

That means the Indians can claim April 8 as their “priority” filing date in the United States, according to a tweet posted by Gerben.

Both groups are seeking to use the name on clothing, accessories and more.

I keep telling them, go with Cuyahoga Flames!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Cleveland Also Rans
    Cleveland Wait Til Next Year

Cleveland Underwear Stains
    oh wait, thats the brownies

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    The little guys just need a couple hundred grand payday -- I am sure that would be a huge windfall for them to go away. 
    How dumb does it make the Cleveland baseball folks look, though.  Too funny.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    Cleveland Steamers is still the best option.

Some great logo options:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Some great logo options:

Very cool- those are great, especially the first two.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Cleveland Cuckoulds?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Cleveland Cuckoulds?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

Some great logo options:

Very cool- those are great, especially the first two.
    There needs to be a team from Arkansas named the Steamer Beans.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    mickeyrat said:
    These words are fascinating.  And it's interesting because it goes to show that even in the world of sports where you would figure so many things should be cut and dry....  there is a fine gray area where human emotions play a strong role especially in team sports and especially in contact team sports. 

The dream of good sportsmanship is rooted in all players being good sportsmen.  Which is of course non-existent.  In hockey, if you run up the score because you're 'being good sportsmen' sure 10 players will appreciate and respect the good sportsmanship being shown by not letting up.  8 however will see things through  a different lens and interpret the effort as an act of disrespect and respond by bludgeoning an opposing player at the first opportunity.  :)  

These numbers are uneducated estimates and would tip one way or another usually depending on a coach. 

Good sportsmanship is sometimes sacrificed for safety and survival lol. 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:
    These words are fascinating.  And it's interesting because it goes to show that even in the world of sports where you would figure so many things should be cut and dry....  there is a fine gray area where human emotions play a strong role especially in team sports and especially in contact team sports. 

The dream of good sportsmanship is rooted in all players being good sportsmen.  Which is of course non-existent.  In hockey, if you run up the score because you're 'being good sportsmen' sure 10 players will appreciate and respect the good sportsmanship being shown by not letting up.  8 however will see things through  a different lens and interpret the effort as an act of disrespect and respond by bludgeoning an opposing player at the first opportunity.  :)  

These numbers are uneducated estimates and would tip one way or another usually depending on a coach. 

That coach usually sends in the goons to start a damn fight.  Actually, do they do that anymore?
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

In this team, the losing team should not have skipped leg day. It's fucking embarrassing!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

In this team, the losing team should not have skipped leg day. It's fucking embarrassing!
    Why is everyday a leg day  Midstrongcom
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

That coach usually sends in the goons to start a damn fight.  Actually, do they do that anymore?
    They sure do. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    dankind said:
    Parksy said:
    mickeyrat said:

haha
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The weird twists and turns threads on AMT take... :lol:

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I was actually going to comment that baseball isn't football, so I don't think the same rationale applies. while it's unlikely that a team down 11-3 isn't likely going to win the game, it's still way more probable than if a football team is up 60-20. I've never heard of this unwritten rule about baseball. that's weird to me. it's not unheard of to see high scoring single innings. imagine you're up 11-3, decide not to swing on the 4th pitch, take the walk, and the other team scores 9 in the last inning to win. how dumb would that be?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com