Options

Pearl Jam Headline Two Nights at BST Hyde Park

Comments

• Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    I dont think there is any indication that they're playing IoW. There are however rumours that BST might move to September.  Whether PJ will be part of that is unknown however.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    It's just wishful thinking folks! :smile: I'd really like to see them adding the IoW festival to their 2022(?) itinerary. :prayer:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,852
    So there are some obvious options here and I am curious how this plays out. I wonder when it will be announced what direction they are going to go here. BST is tied to the Euro tour and refunds are good up until April 1 for 10C tickets for the Euro shows.  BST postponed first last year before Pearl Jam made an announcement on the festival and the whole Euro tour. I wonder if it will be flipped this year where Pearl Jam announces first out of caution and BST tries to go on with other acts either on that date or a later one. This whole June 21st tease has really gotten peoples hopes up. I wish that shows can happen this summer just not sure just because the UK is doing well with the vaccine roll out that equals 60K plus travelling from all over the world and going to a packed concert again. I hope they can pull it off. 

- BST postpones another year. Pearl Jam is booked for a two nighter for the same weekend
    - BST pushes until September. Pearl Jam cancels until the following year
    - BST pushes until September and Pearl Jam makes the date and is the only Euro show for 2021
    - Pearl Jam comes out and postpones all of the Euro tour until 2022
    - Pearl Jam comes out and postpones all of the Euro tour with no mention of BST waiting for BST to make the announement on the path forward. 
    - Euro tour happens 

• Options
    The fact that BST is the ONLY festival that hasn't made an official statement regarding its future since the gov outlined its june 21 target leads me to think it's either gonna be pushed to September or cancelled altogether.  I think if it was steam ahead for the present dates they'd have come out already and said how excited they are etc etc. 

What PJ's role in any of this is, is anyone's guess. Would they play rescheduled September dates? Would they play 2022 dates?  Is it the band's reluctance to play the july dates as the rest of the tour is dead the reason for the announcement delay?

But I do think the existing dates are likely toast now.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,093
    PJNB said:
    So there are some obvious options here and I am curious how this plays out. I wonder when it will be announced what direction they are going to go here. BST is tied to the Euro tour and refunds are good up until April 1 for 10C tickets for the Euro shows.  BST postponed first last year before Pearl Jam made an announcement on the festival and the whole Euro tour. I wonder if it will be flipped this year where Pearl Jam announces first out of caution and BST tries to go on with other acts either on that date or a later one. This whole June 21st tease has really gotten peoples hopes up. I wish that shows can happen this summer just not sure just because the UK is doing well with the vaccine roll out that equals 60K plus travelling from all over the world and going to a packed concert again. I hope they can pull it off. 

- BST postpones another year. Pearl Jam is booked for a two nighter for the same weekend
    - BST pushes until September. Pearl Jam cancels until the following year
    - BST pushes until September and Pearl Jam makes the date and is the only Euro show for 2021
    - Pearl Jam comes out and postpones all of the Euro tour until 2022
    - Pearl Jam comes out and postpones all of the Euro tour with no mention of BST waiting for BST to make the announement on the path forward. 
    - Euro tour happens 

I’m hoping for option 3, with the festival moving to 3/4 or 10/11 September forming a 4 date mini “festival type” tour with SHN and Ohana. Given vaccine rollouts and forecasts over the coming months, my guess is it will only really be possible for Brits and Americans to attend. Then have a few arena shows in U.K. in 2022 (maybe in Leeds or Manchester). I have my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,313
    edited March 2021
    Is BST tied to the Euro tour?

It wasn’t announced with the 2021 tour, wasn’t sold by 10c, and was sold much later.  

Just saying.

Post edited by RatherStarved on
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Is BST tied to the Euro tour?

It wasn’t announced with the 2021 tour, wasn’t sold by 10c, and was sold much later.  

Just saying.

Technically no. That festival is on its own island with regards to planning and setup. It is tied to it with regards to Pearl Jam possibly saying fuck it its not worth making the trip for 2 shows and we would rather do it in full in 2022 when it would financially be better as well as covid safety would likely be better too. 

Maybe they think they would rather do something rather than nothing and bands do one off (two shows in this case) all of the time. That said if it is not safe elsewhere in the world to have shows but it is in the UK they will still think about all of the travelers coming in and being at risk as they did back in March of last year. 

Just random brainstorming here with a lot that I am saying has already been said and is fairly obvious options wise I guess. 
  • Options
    I am sure that PJ’s appearance fee would more than cover their return flights to London.  For sure they won’t come if it’s not safe.  I’m just wondering, if science establishes that a festival is safe if everyone there is vaccinated, and the UK is uniquely in a position to pull that off, then why couldn’t it happen?
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 690
    I am sure that PJ’s appearance fee would more than cover their return flights to London.  For sure they won’t come if it’s not safe.  I’m just wondering, if science establishes that a festival is safe if everyone there is vaccinated, and the UK is uniquely in a position to pull that off, then why couldn’t it happen?
    This is my line of thinking too. If it could happen safely.. surely they will jump at the chance to perform In front of fans.
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,172
    It would need to be September for that to work everyone won't have been vaccinated by the existing date in July 
  • Options
    TBF not everyone is going to be vaccinated by September either, in terms of their second jab. 
  • Options
    GP11767GP11767 Posts: 7
    What is making everyone think that PJ will be touring in the same order that they intended to do before  the Covid crisis? They may be a lot more anxious to tour more completely their home territory in the US first and maybe even Latin America or Oceania before rescheduling for Europe. I have no inside knowledge and could be completely wrong  but to assume the order of things will stay the same in the future may also  be wrong. Lots of personal factors enter into this kind of thing.
  • Options
    Australia is looking like the most likely starting point of the Gigaton tour at this moment for sure, given what Ed said the other day and general covid numbers. The question is whether BST might/could be a one-off before that. Seems unlikely but you never know. 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,093
    TBF not everyone is going to be vaccinated by September either, in terms of their second jab. 
    Not so sure about this. Recent news reports suggest all U.K. adults will have had a first jab by end June and most with their second my August. Similar in the US. 
  • Options
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

It'll be close judging by the current rate. Those that haven't been jabbed by September will be a combination of those that are anti-vax and/or the last in the queue - ie the youngest , ie those most likely to attend a festival. It's all a calculated risk. 
  • Options
    Vaccination timeline in Canada seems to be improving a little over the last week.  They’re now saying first shots potentially possible for most people by June.  Previously they were saying September.  Not sure what changed, but anything that points to normalcy at any point this year is fine by me.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Vaccination timeline in Canada seems to be improving a little over the last week.  They’re now saying first shots potentially possible for most people by June.  Previously they were saying September.  Not sure what changed, but anything that points to normalcy at any point this year is fine by me.
    A few things:
    1. They are making people wait 4 months between shots
    2. more approvals for various vaccine companies
    3. shipments are actually arriving and also not being wasted 

timeline for second shot for anyone under 60 still seems to be September to December give or take a month. 

My parents are 70 and were moved up from may to April. That suggests that yeah most likely I’ll get the first shot in June/July 
    Post edited by LeafsJaysCubsRaptorsFan on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2021
    A few things:
    1. They are making people wait 4 months between shots
    2. more approvals for various vaccine companies
    3. shipments are actually arriving and also not being wasted 

timeline for second shot for anyone under 60 still seems to be September to December give or take a month. 

My parents are 70 and were moved up from may to April. That suggests that yeah most likely I’ll get the first shot in June/July 

Biden promising to vaccinate all willing Americans by the end of may should  have a big impact. One the US is done, Canada could be supplied in full in about 15 days, probably in June, if the US is done, considering production would be over  3 million doses by then

I am not sure what this means for international  touring. I think governments  will need proof the vaccine will stop infection spread before travel restrictions are lifted. Until then, 14 day quarantines will make touring very unprofitable when entering new countries, even if bands start off with “safe zones” such as Oceania
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    chilisuarezchilisuarez USA / Canada Posts: 110
    He promised to have the doses available by the end of May, not for everyone to be vaccinated by then. It also wasn't clear if this meant if it was enough doses for the first jab or both jabs. 
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 154
    Difficult for PJ to cancel without financial penalties given that the Uk is well on schedule to lift all restrictions mid-June.

Numbers are falling faster than expected.
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 436
    Tjm007 said:

Having seen all the unmasked parents hugging each other outside the school today I'm expecting them to rise again.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:

Having seen all the unmasked parents hugging each other outside the school today I'm expecting them to rise again.
    Depressing that every sign of good news like schools going back is accompanied by gloom and doom.
  • Options
    abzmikeabzmike Posts: 25
    Tjm007 said:
    Difficult for PJ to cancel without financial penalties given that the Uk is well on schedule to lift all restrictions mid-June.

The governemt has said that it hopes to lift restrictions by 21st June - no guarantees. No where has is been stated that full capacity events will be permitted by any date. I suspect July will be too early for 50,000 people in Hyde Park.
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 436
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:

Depressing that every sign of good news like schools going back is accompanied by gloom and doom.
    I've lost 2 close friends to Covid before you start on me.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,556
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:

The governemt has said that it hopes to lift restrictions by 21st June - no guarantees. No where has is been stated that full capacity events will be permitted by any date. I suspect July will be too early for 50,000 people in Hyde Park.

Agreed - not to mention the fact that a huge portion of that crowd will be travelling from outside of the UK. Would be shocked to see the city allow such an influx so fast.

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Tjm007 said:

Not in NY. Please come visit if you want restrictions lifted. Our schools have been open since summer and now are at about 100% capacity in many locations. Indoor restaurants are about to increase to 75% capacity. But our per capita infections the last couple months  are among the worst on earth, despite having access to all of the US vaccines.

As far as PJ touring this year, if the US still has widespread infections and up to 40% of its population are refusing the vaccines, I doubt most govts will lift restrictions allowing Americans to freely travel without quarantines. 
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:

Not in NY. Please come visit if you want restrictions lifted. Our schools have been open since summer and now are at about 100% capacity in many locations. Indoor restaurants are about to increase to 75% capacity. But our per capita infections the last couple months  are among the worst on earth, despite having access to all of the US vaccines.

As far as PJ touring this year, if the US still has widespread infections and up to 40% of its population are refusing the vaccines, I doubt most govts will lift restrictions allowing Americans to freely travel without quarantines. 
    Protect the idiots that refuse to get vaccinated by restricting those that do get vaccinated. Makes perfect sense to me. 
  • Options
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:

From the govt advice. This was my main point - it wouldn't be possible to cancel right now based on the govt blocking the event. Any cancellation would have to be on uncertainty grounds.

Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

• It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
    • We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
    • This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.
  • Options
    It’s not fun living among trumpsters. It’s difficult for me to get along with certain friends and fam. But the good news is if they refuse vaccines and production is over 3M doses per day in the summer (4M factoring J&J single dose), in about three weeks time we could have enough supply for our friends along our northern border.
  • Options
    He promised to have the doses available by the end of May, not for everyone to be vaccinated by then. It also wasn't clear if this meant if it was enough doses for the first jab or both jabs. 
    Enough vaccine for all adults by end of May per Biden. States have been strict about scheduling second doses at the first appointment. So three weeks after that at most for second dose. 

With J&J now approved, the US will be fully vaccinating 50 million per month soon and rising, with Merck joining production in the spring. The biggest challenges are the 40% who could be vax averse and the variants.