Pearl Jam Headline Two Nights at BST Hyde Park

Comments

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Tjm007 said:h
    Tjm007 said:

Numbers are falling faster than expected.
    Having seen all the unmasked parents hugging each other outside the school today I'm expecting them to rise again.
    Depressing that every sign of good news like schools going back is accompanied by gloom and doom.
    I've lost 2 close friends to Covid before you start on me.
    Sorry for your loss.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    Tjm007 said:
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Difficult for PJ to cancel without financial penalties given that the Uk is well on schedule to lift all restrictions mid-June.

The governemt has said that it hopes to lift restrictions by 21st June - no guarantees. No where has is been stated that full capacity events will be permitted by any date. I suspect July will be too early for 50,000 people in Hyde Park.

From the govt advice. This was my main point - it wouldn't be possible to cancel right now based on the govt blocking the event. Any cancellation would have to be on uncertainty grounds.

Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

• It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
    • We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
    • This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.
    It seems to me they can’t proceed with July, because they won’t know until mid June if they will be allowed to, and they will need to commit a lot of resources between now and then, at risk.  If the fest were to be moved to Sept., then they could make a final decision in June.  That’s probably the best case scenario.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,051
    Tjm007 said:
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Difficult for PJ to cancel without financial penalties given that the Uk is well on schedule to lift all restrictions mid-June.

The governemt has said that it hopes to lift restrictions by 21st June - no guarantees. No where has is been stated that full capacity events will be permitted by any date. I suspect July will be too early for 50,000 people in Hyde Park.

From the govt advice. This was my main point - it wouldn't be possible to cancel right now based on the govt blocking the event. Any cancellation would have to be on uncertainty grounds.

• We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
    • This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.
    It seems to me they can’t proceed with July, because they won’t know until mid June if they will be allowed to, and they will need to commit a lot of resources between now and then, at risk.  If the fest were to be moved to Sept., then they could make a final decision in June.  That’s probably the best case scenario.  
    Indeed and that’s why a few of the earlier festivals in the U.K. have moved to September. Still think this timeline works for PJ if they schedule in one of the two weekends before SHN
    If BST, SHN and Ohana are on back to back to back weekends, and that’s the 2021 tour, I’ll take it.  

• Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Tjm007 said:
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:

Yes - interesting that it hasn't yet been cancelled/moved. That must either be because there is a chance it goes ahead - or nobody wants to cancel yet as it will cost $$$£££.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    When you have put money to something there is nothing worse than poor communication. Obviously this is on the organisers and not the band in this case. There is no scenario they couldn't communicate over a simple FB post etc. Even if it's just a 'sit tight and bare with us' message. Pretty much every other UK festival has managed this.
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    Tjm007 said:
    Tjm007 said:
    abzmike said:
    Tjm007 said:

Yes - interesting that it hasn't yet been cancelled/moved. That must either be because there is a chance it goes ahead - or nobody wants to cancel yet as it will cost $$$£££.
    It's the only festival that hasn't made an announcement in the uk. If it was going ahead as planned then I'm sure we'd have heard that it is full steam ahead. So odds are that BST is either cancelled altogether this year or is moving to September.  There had been rumours the organisers were exploring September as a Plan B before the gov announced its timeline so i think there's a very strong possibility it will move. It's also arguably the scenario which requires the most organisation - new contracts/arrangements with bands, security, etc etc, potentially arranging new bands on the bill...  So that could explain the radio silence.
  • InsideJob75InsideJob75 Posts: 126
    beano.79 said:
    When you have put money to something there is nothing worse than poor communication. Obviously this is on the organisers and not the band in this case. There is no scenario they couldn't communicate over a simple FB post etc. Even if it's just a 'sit tight and bare with us' message. Pretty much every other UK festival has managed this.
    EXACTLY THIS
    Promoters/Management sort it out
    Dublin '06, Lisbon 1 '06, Lisbon 2 '06, London '07, Manchester '09, London '09, Dublin '10, Belfast '10, London '10, Manchester 1 '12, Manchester 2 '12, Berlin 1 '12, Berlin 2 '12, Amsterdam 1 '14, Amsterdam 2 '14, Berlin '14, Leeds '14, London 1 '18, Prague '18, Krakow '18, Berlin '18, London 2 '18, London 1 '22, London 2 '22, Budapest '22, Amsterdam 2 '22
    beano.79 said:
    Could be that this isn't really a PJ gig - its BST running it.

edited March 2021
    Tjm007 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Could be that this isn't really a PJ gig - its BST running it.

That's why I said in this case it is the organisers responsibility, and that pretty much all other UK festivals have managed to communicate.

If I'm stuck in traffic and don't know how late for work I will be.. I still contact work to tell them I'm stuck in traffic. Simple communication, it's so frustrating.
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • InsideJob75InsideJob75 Posts: 126
    Eden Sessions mini festival in the UK have just pulled their Summer 2021 shows today.  BST still no announcement - c'mon
    Dublin '06, Lisbon 1 '06, Lisbon 2 '06, London '07, Manchester '09, London '09, Dublin '10, Belfast '10, London '10, Manchester 1 '12, Manchester 2 '12, Berlin 1 '12, Berlin 2 '12, Amsterdam 1 '14, Amsterdam 2 '14, Berlin '14, Leeds '14, London 1 '18, Prague '18, Krakow '18, Berlin '18, London 2 '18, London 1 '22, London 2 '22, Budapest '22, Amsterdam 2 '22
    I’m ok w no announcement if they’re trying to make it work and haven’t given up but also can’t confirm.  However an update to that effect would be nice.  Rock Werchter has such an update on their website.  

I’m ok w no announcement if they’re trying to make it work and haven’t given up but also can’t confirm.  However an update to that effect would be nice.  Rock Werchter has such an update on their website.  
    This is what I mean. There doesn't need to be a solid decision to put out an update of some kind.
    All Points East festival (Victoria Park in London) just announced that it is going ahead. Normally in May but is gonna take place over the August bank holiday instead. Gotta be hearing something about BST soon now.
    Another data point 

Following the announcement of the Government’s roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions, we’re over the moon to let you know that Kaleidoscope Festival will be taking place on Saturday 24th July 2021 in the beautiful grounds of Alexandra Palace.

Kaleidoscope is London’s highest festival, set atop a hill within 196 acres of spacious parkland, offering the best panoramic views across the city. We’re chuffed to confirm that electronic dance duo Groove Armada will be headlining joined by The Coral, House Gospel Choir, Mr Wilson’s Second Liners, Norman Jay MBE, Greg Wilson, Matt Jam Lamont and The Glory feat. John Sizzle. Much more than just a music festival, Kaleidoscope will play host to some of the biggest names in comedy including sets from Phil Wang and Sophie Duker.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Tjm007 said:
    Another data point 

Following the announcement of the Government’s roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions, we’re over the moon to let you know that Kaleidoscope Festival will be taking place on Saturday 24th July 2021 in the beautiful grounds of Alexandra Palace.

Kaleidoscope is London’s highest festival, set atop a hill within 196 acres of spacious parkland, offering the best panoramic views across the city. We’re chuffed to confirm that electronic dance duo Groove Armada will be headlining joined by The Coral, House Gospel Choir, Mr Wilson’s Second Liners, Norman Jay MBE, Greg Wilson, Matt Jam Lamont and The Glory feat. John Sizzle. Much more than just a music festival, Kaleidoscope will play host to some of the biggest names in comedy including sets from Phil Wang and Sophie Duker.

So as I see it either all of these festivals are getting it wrong and the governments return to normal post June 21st does not include huge outdoor festivals to be allowed (which should be communicated to them immediately) or they in fact have been told that the plan is to for them to be able to go ahead and in fact have them. 

This is going to be interesting if festivals can go on with Hyde Park making a decision. The band will ultimately make the final choice if Hyde Park says its happening but they would be in a bit of a spot if a bunch of other festivals happen and they still cancel I think. Hope to hear something soon from them.
    PJNB said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Another data point 

So as I see it either all of these festivals are getting it wrong and the governments return to normal post June 21st does not include huge outdoor festivals to be allowed (which should be communicated to them immediately) or they in fact have been told that the plan is to for them to be able to go ahead and in fact have them. 

This is going to be interesting if festivals can go on with Hyde Park making a decision. The band will ultimately make the final choice if Hyde Park says its happening but they would be in a bit of a spot if a bunch of other festivals happen and they still cancel I think. Hope to hear something soon from them.
    Uk govt : Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

Given that the numbers are dropping far faster than when they issued this plan - my confidence is that BST can proceed is rising sharply. PJ may well pull out I guess. 

I also note tickets are still on sale.
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Tjm007 said:
    PJNB said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Another data point 

Given that the numbers are dropping far faster than when they issued this plan - my confidence is that BST can proceed is rising sharply. PJ may well pull out I guess. 

Listening to Chris Witty yesterday, because of the Impact of the Vaccine, there is pressure to open up sooner than the plan. If so, he predicts another surge by the summer so I wouldn't be too hopeful just yet.
    Kearnsy
    Kearn5y said:
    Tjm007 said:
    PJNB said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Another data point 

Listening to Chris Witty yesterday, because of the Impact of the Vaccine, there is pressure to open up sooner than the plan. If so, he predicts another surge by the summer so I wouldn't be too hopeful just yet.
    For another surge to happen in the UK (hospitalizations and deaths are being counted only) that would mean that the vaccine is not working. If that is the case we are all fucked. 
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,130
    PJNB said:
    Kearn5y said:
    Tjm007 said:
    PJNB said:
    Tjm007 said:
    Another data point 

For another surge to happen in the UK (hospitalizations and deaths are being counted only) that would mean that the vaccine is not working. If that is the case we are all fucked. 
    He seemed to mean it wouldn't be quicker as they want to monitor each stage for 4 or 5 weeks out of caution dont think there is any suggestion of slowing down the easing of restrictions. Still don't think it will happen for various reasons, the rest of the dates, the logistics of checking people have been vaccinated or have a negative test etc 

• whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    The BST organizers need to make an announcement SOON, like this week if it's canceled or pushed into September. Any more delay with no communications to the thousands of fans, many of whom are American like me, need to have our refunds processed because that's money I can use right now for other things. Just last week I read that queues at Heathrow to get processed for Covid-19 tests to be ok'd to enter the UK were 7 hours long. There's no fucking way I will participate in that circus to enter a country I have visited over a dozen times in the past 25 years! Just make an announcement now so that fans can make appropriate plans. This festival ain't happening in July, so stop with the thumb-twiddling.  
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,710
    This won't  happen. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    UK government now saying opening of international travel won't happen on May 17th now and that was the earliest date not a guarantee. Same could happen with June 21st date, cant see how it can be planned with the level of uncertainty still around 
    It'll be moved to Sept or won't happen at all this year, I'd have thought. And TBH even if it moves to Sept I can't envisage that PJ would be on the bill. Hope I'm wrong though. 
  • chalonchalon Posts: 106
    Seems unlikely to happen because even if restrictions are lighter in the UK starting June 21st, international travel will still not be viable by early July.
    UK government now saying opening of international travel won't happen on May 17th now and that was the earliest date not a guarantee. Same could happen with June 21st date, cant see how it can be planned with the level of uncertainty still around 
    Key date is April 12th when the report on opening up travel is due to be published.

"The Government's Global Travel Taskforce is due to release its plans for the reopening international travel on April 12."

Which is still 3 months before the gig. 
    Tjm007 said:
    Key date is April 12th when the report on opening up travel is due to be published.

"The Government's Global Travel Taskforce is due to release its plans for the reopening international travel on April 12."

Yes but the point I was trying to make is that the dates aren't guaranteed so it's difficult for the promoters and band to plan
    Tjm007 said:

Yes but the point I was trying to make is that the dates aren't guaranteed so it's difficult for the promoters and band to plan
    Yes I agree - if it is cancelled/rearranged  it would be because of uncertainty - not because it has been ruled out by government rules.  I'm pretty confident that by July in the Uk, restrictions will be lifted for gigs and travel. But I'm not the one shelling out money on infrastructure for a concert - most of the cost is likely due in the coming weeks.

The move to September is probably going to be doable I would guess but does Pearl Jam want to play 4 shows this year? I say 4 shows because while they could just do BST in the first half of September it would look mighty odd cancelling two festivals in your home country that would be after those two dates and do a couple of shows across  the pond. If it is safe to have shows in the UK it has to be safe to have shows in the US too and I still do not see shows that early in those two states sadly. 
    Hyde Park Sept 10-11, SHN Sept. 18-19, Ohana Sept. 25-26.  Best month ever?