Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,123

I have to wonder if this is just being floated to further damage McCarthy. But I hope he does it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    This Santos guy is so strange. 
    Yesterday he sat there alone, shunned by the R's.
    Today's he's hiding in the cloakroom, only coming out to vote. (Or when Gaetz is offering him something for him to flip.)
    Who would put themselves through that? I guess he has no shame and doesn't mind being humiliated? He thinks if he weathers the storm it will eventually blow over?
    I'm just surprised he didn't step down.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,780
    eddiec said:
    This Santos guy is so strange. 
    Yesterday he sat there alone, shunned by the R's.
    Today's he's hiding in the cloakroom, only coming out to vote. (Or when Gaetz is offering him something for him to flip.)
    Who would put themselves through that? I guess he has no shame and doesn't mind being humiliated? He thinks if he weathers the storm it will eventually blow over?
    I'm just surprised he didn't step down.
    Or maybe he likes the $200k a year that he will get paid for two years.  

My bet is that he is indicted for campaign finance fraud at some point though. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,051
    I'd stick it out for that kind of coin. no doubt. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,267

I have to wonder if this is just being floated to further damage McCarthy. But I hope he does it.
    democrats should NOT float a deal with him. he cannot be trusted, ever.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742

democrats should NOT float a deal with him. he cannot be trusted, ever.

Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,999
    At this point, why don’t Dems have some fun? Take turns nominating and rallying behind Charlie Chaplin, the Kool-Aid Man, an inanimate carbon rod, etc. Each time, they’ll be permanently recorded as more popular than Kevin McCarthy. Since there’s no law on who can govern, does it matter?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    At this point, why don’t Dems have some fun? Take turns nominating and rallying behind Charlie Chaplin, the Kool-Aid Man, an inanimate carbon rod, etc. Each time, they’ll be permanently recorded as more popular than Kevin McCarthy. Since there’s no law on who can govern, does it matter?
    They should nominate Hillary. Or Obama.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,267
    benjs said:
    honestly i would vote for the kool aid man.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    benjs said:

The political capital here is the Dems can campaign next year being the “responsible party.” Making a joke of the process only opens the clown car door for them with moderates and independents 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,450
    benjs said:

The political capital here is the Dems can campaign next year being the “responsible party.” Making a joke of the process only opens the clown car door for them with moderates and independents 
    Yeah I agree and that was probably their plan all along. The fact that the clown show started before congress even starts just makes it that much sweeter.

Anyone see clips of Hannity ripping into Boebert last night? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    benjs said:

Yeah I agree and that was probably their plan all along. The fact that the clown show started before congress even starts just makes it that much sweeter.

yep...it's interesting that he can make intelligent points with her yet act like a complete moron when talking about democrats.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,632
    benjs said:

yep...it's interesting that he can make intelligent points with her yet act like a complete moron when talking about democrats.

Key word being "ACT". It's all an act, and he knows exactly what he's doing.  
  • Options
    benjs said:

Key word being "ACT". It's all an act, and he knows exactly what he's doing.  
    I know...I just wish his audience would figure it out....they won't

• Options

• Options
    I'm still laughing...
    Mark Davis MarkDavis8919  Twitter
  • Options
    George Conway came up with a "joke" on twitter, and said the best answer wins:

How many Kevin McCarthy's does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

winning answer: can't screw in a lightbulb without a house
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    also saw someone made up one of those "I am not a robot" tests with "click on all the speakers" and all the boxes with audio speakers were checked and the box showing Kevin was not. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,363
    I'm still laughing...
    Mark Davis MarkDavis8919  Twitter
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Honestly this is fascinating to watch them implode and turn on each other.  It's great political theater.  

Remember that some members of the Squad tried (or entertained) a bit of a revolt against Nancy.  But she made a few compromises and then quashed it like a pro.  It's not unusual to have members that are difficult to control, but the GOP is way past that point.  They are nearing internal destruction.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Honestly this is fascinating to watch them implode and turn on each other.  It's great political theater.  

Remember that some members of the Squad tried (or entertained) a bit of a revolt against Nancy.  But she made a few compromises and then quashed it like a pro.  It's not unusual to have members that are difficult to control, but the GOP is way past that point.  They are nearing internal destruction.  
    It's just hilarious that McCarthy bowed down to the magats and now 10% of the party is holding him hostage. He fucking deserves it.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742
    edited January 2023
    benjs said:

Does anyone think this kind of thing actually makes a difference to GOP voters at the end of the day though, at this point?? Given the kinds of people who being voted into office by them, I don't feel like Republican voters mind a clown show at all. In fact, they seem to love and admire clowns.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,632

If i didn't know better, I would think the representatives from the party determined to see the federal government fail are doing everything they can to make the federal government fail. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:

Does anyone think this kind of thing actually makes a difference to GOP voters at the end of the day though, at this point?? Given the kinds of people who being voted into office by them, I don't feel like Republican voters mind a clown show at all. In fact, they seem to love and admire clowns.
    It moves the center, I think.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    I've never really paid a lot of attention to the speaker of the house selection process.  While there are far worse, self-centered, fame-hogging, seditionist-loving, morons than usual, I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a lot of contested processes (assuming that's the case). The party margin is usually pretty thin so I guess that means the majority party tends to be very unified and, therefore, a number of people have comprised their idea of perfect in favor of good enough. 

And from what I understand, Kevin McCarthy is and has always been awful but he's not awful enough for the worst-of-the-worst...It's only not funny because of how sad it is.

I have not watched a minute of coverage on this, but I have seen the occasional tweet from Marge, Boebert, Biggs, or whoever telling McCarthy to step down for the good of the (party, country, whatever). Imagine telling the guy with 200 votes that he needs to step aside for the guy with 19 votes. No wonder they all think Trump actually won.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    In the world of normal people, the new Democratic PA gov selects a Republican to run elections in PA. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/05/pennsylvania-josh-shapiro-al-schmidt-00076431
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I admire their resolve in not backing down on this, even if their principles are fucked at least they are sticking to them.  I'm curious to see how long they hold up the process, if their demands are met, or if McCarthy backs down, or if they back down.  It's very entertaining.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Except, members of the squad were interested in legislation and policy proposals and not power grabs. Based on the legislation passed, seems they got some of their policy goals addressed. Nancy knows what she’s doing. Kevin, not so much.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    static111 said:
    I admire their resolve in not backing down on this, even if their principles are fucked at least they are sticking to them.  I'm curious to see how long they hold up the process, if their demands are met, or if McCarthy backs down, or if they back down.  It's very entertaining.
    I'm going to predict that McCarthy either backs away or he accepts some sort of deal with the democrats. More likely he backs away....but damn I would love it if he agreed to fuck over those 20 dipshits by keeping them off of committee assignments. Jordan and Scalise would still be running free but at least the complete morons would be kicked in the nuts a bit.

If he caves to the 20 that means he is accepting a gov't shutdown related to the debt ceiling. That's what they want.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,450
    BREAKING ---- Trump loses another popular vote. 
    chinese-happy.jpg