Options

Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    Jesus.  People ready to jump off the roof at 6:35am eastern.

Not sure if that’s a put down or not but it’s certainly an interesting way to disguise it.

I am in a deep blue state and just waited an hour plus to vote.  Many will say that’s nothing as waits are longer in swing states, but I have voted here for 25 years, thru the Obama surge turnout and all the other years, and never ever saw a line, let alone one that extended nearly half a mile.

To pretend there is any way to forecast this phenomenon whether pro trump or con, seems unrealistic. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

Not sure if that’s a put down or not but it’s certainly an interesting way to disguise it.

I am in a deep blue state and just waited an hour plus to vote.  Many will say that’s nothing as waits are longer in swing states, but I have voted here for 25 years, thru the Obama surge turnout and all the other years, and never ever saw a line, let alone one that extended nearly half a mile.

To pretend there is any way to forecast this phenomenon whether pro trump or con, seems unrealistic. 
    I think you have to look at the party registrations to get an idea.  High turnout has always favored democrats.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    mrussel1 said:

I think you have to look at the party registrations to get an idea.  High turnout has always favored democrats.
    Confidence levels remain high...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:
    I can't wait for the election to be over just to quit hearing the doom and gloom of the Debbie downers around here.
    Better include CNN and MSNBC and all their guests. All Dem leaning guests seem very nervous. Except Charlie Cook. 

Chris Hayes said it best, Democrats are nervous as hell and Republicans have swagger 100% they are winning. Without a doubt this mirrors everyone I know personally. All this while polls say Dems are likely to sweep congress and presidency.

Very bizarre moment in American history
    I haven't seen any of that. mind you, maybe I don't consume as much MSM as you do, but the guests I've seen all either have Biden as a shoe-in or cautiously optimistic. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    igotid88 said:
    More people have early voted in Texas than have voted in previous elections. Especially among minorities. 
    I hope we go blue.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    More people have early voted in Texas than have voted in previous elections. Especially among minorities. 
    I hope we go blue.  
    Man,  what a day that would make it.  I would owe you multiple rounds of beer, since I didn't take you seriously when you said that before.  I think Georgia goes before Texas,  but man... dream come true
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    Man,  what a day that would make it.  I would owe you multiple rounds of beer, since I didn't take you seriously when you said that before.  I think Georgia goes before Texas,  but man... dream come true
    @Ledbetterman10

I think I feel more confident about Texas than I do Florida at the moment
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    @Ledbetterman10

Whoa. Can you imagine if that’s how Trump loses? Winning the swing states he needs and losing Texas? 

Is it the high amount of early voting that has you confident in Texas?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    Not to go through the whole working class thing from yesterday, but my optimism has been that the majority of people I interact with are blue collar types and they are done with that BS that is Trump.  The BLM movement has also opened up a lot of people to organizing and lookjj oooohbg beyond the binary red/blue political construct.  I know several Rs and multiple non-voters that have decided to register this cycle that are casting or have casted ballots for Biden.  Granted I’m in Austin,  but the same is True for everyone I know in Houston.  Time will tell.  I’m hoping that a Blue Texas would reward us with a PJ date for the rescheduled tour.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    @Ledbetterman10

Whoa. Can you imagine if that’s how Trump loses? Winning the swing states he needs and losing Texas? 

Its gotta be. The magic number seems to be 12 million. Over Biden is likely to win under Trump has got TX. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    @Ledbetterman10

Yeah. That Harris County ruling yesterday was a big deal.

I mean I guess it's still a long shot, but it would not surprise me if Trump won Florida and even PA (god forbid!) but Biden stuns everyone with Texas and this thing is called before 11 tonight. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    Not to go through the whole working class thing from yesterday, but my optimism has been that the majority of people I interact with are blue collar types and they are done with that BS that is Trump.  The BLM movement has also opened up a lot of people to organizing and lookjj oooohbg beyond the binary red/blue political construct.  I know several Rs and multiple non-voters that have decided to register this cycle that are casting or have casted ballots for Biden.  Granted I’m in Austin,  but the same is True for everyone I know in Houston.  Time will tell.  I’m hoping that a Blue Texas would reward us with a PJ date for the rescheduled tour.
    I was thinking about your comments a few weeks ago where you had to keep your mouth shut about Biden for fear it would lose work. When I wrote that,  I had you in mind. 
  • Options
    Yeah it’s over tonight if Biden wins Texas. So, will the Texas ballots be all counted by tonight like Florida, or will they begin counting today like Pennsylvania? I’m guessing the former if they already know the amount of ballots cast in Texas 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    I was thinking about your comments a few weeks ago where you had to keep your mouth shut about Biden for fear it would lose work. When I wrote that,  I had you in mind. 

The Dems will have electoral college challenges until if and when Texas turns blue (as the big dem states are +25 D and the big R states are closer to 50/50). That will be the day the GOP will need to change their strategy from obstructing the vote to policies that are better.

lets hope that f*cking day is today.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    Yeah it’s over tonight if Biden wins Texas. So, will the Texas ballots be all counted by tonight like Florida, or will they begin counting today like Pennsylvania? I’m guessing the former if they already know the amount of ballots cast in Texas 

"Most Texas counties report their early vote tallies pretty soon after the polls close at 7 p.m. The in-person Election Day count across the state usually comes in later, especially since Texas voters can cast a ballot if they are in line when polling sites close at 7 p.m. The polling analysis website FiveThirtyEight estimates that Texas should get most of its tallying done on Tuesday, but the counting might go into Wednesday or Thursday."

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11/02/texas-count-votes/

• Options
    RCP became trash this year and many networks continue to use them as a good source. AMT gang here was all over that. Good article backing that up.

The Independent: Joe Biden’s lead vanishes in four swing states, according to poll aggregator.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Is there any indication on how these NPA/I Voters swing to historically in Florida?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Is there any indication on how these NPA/I Voters swing to historically in Florida?
    Silver commented on that...didn't want to commit.  But I saw a reference to 49/41 Biden separately.  

But I think the atmosphere would suggest more would vote Biden but who knows....crazy shit.

I do know that tRump world is not happy with GOP turnout in PA today.  The FL #s seem to suggest something similar.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

• Options
    Try not to get too excited
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Not sure how much good news this is as Broward was +36 D for Clinton. Nationwide Nate’s projection is Biden 348 electoral votes, and Biden’s most likely win is over 410 EVs. Nates reputation has a lot riding on the next six hours. If we don’t know by 10.30 EST, Nates projection is likely significantly off and unfortunately we have a nail biter.

I really want Nate to be perfect tonight, but what I want the most from a forecaster is balanced science.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Not sure how much good news this is as Broward was +36 D for Clinton. Nationwide Nate’s projection is Biden 348 electoral votes, and Biden’s most likely win is over 410 EVs. Nates reputation has a lot riding on the next six hours. If we don’t know by 10.30 EST, Nates projection is likely significantly off and unfortunately we have a nail biter.

I really want Nate to be perfect tonight, but what I want the most from a forecaster is balanced science.
    "Nate's reputation?"

lol

Why? I think his reputation over the years is pretty much already settled except for those who think 30% and 10% = 0%.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Nate's point was that the GOP needed to make up ground...and between 3p-4p they lost ground

• Options

"Nate's reputation?"

lol

Why? I think his reputation over the years is pretty much already settled except for those who think 30% and 10% = 0%.

To call a nail biter when you’ve predicted 348 EVs, and he missed the same exact phenomenon as last time?

I really hope he is right.
  • Options
    Good news, Michigan now saying they expect most votes to be counted tonight, so it will not take days as the count is going much more efficiently than previously thought. Hopefully some good news out of the mitten before the day ends.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    Yeah well I am currently working in national security.  Which is a small margin of blue collar what have you.  Most of my friends work construction, food service, health care etc. which is a much larger population.  As far as the natsec crowd...no helping those paranoid maniacs
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    I can’t believe I had to be a shy Biden voter.  Good news is I go on my last gig with those guys next week and when I get back home I am starting a QC/QA position at a semi conductor factory here in town.  It will be good to leave the Defense industry behind
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options

"Nate's reputation?"

lol

To call a nail biter when you’ve predicted 348 EVs, and he missed the same exact phenomenon as last time?

I really hope he is right.
    Dude. Come on. How many times have we been through this?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I hope we go blue.  
    I can’t believe I had to be a shy Biden voter.  Good news is I go on my last gig with those guys next week and when I get back home I am starting a QC/QA position at a semi conductor factory here in town.  It will be good to leave the Defense industry behind
    Congrats and good luck