Options

The Last “Dance” ESPN Documentary

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    I got to thinking about it and I don't believe they ever really discussed how Kukoc and the team ultimately got along. I know it was a tumultuous albeit not personal start st the Olympics, but what about after he spent time with the team? You'd think they got along well enough, but I felt Kukoc may have come off during the interviews with a chip on his shoulder.

Wasn't Drazen Petrovic also on that Croatia team? I think he was Croatian (or Yugoslavian or something).
    Yes, Petrovic played on that 92 Croatian team. If I remember correctly, there were 4 or 5 on that team that made it to the NBA. Dino Radja comes to mind.

Petrovic, Kukoc, and Vlade Divac played on the 88 Yugoslavia team. If you haven't, watch the Once Brothers 30 for 30. That, imo, is one of the best of the 30 for 30 series.
    Fantastic piece.

You youngsters here might not recognize Drazen Petrovic but that guy could friggin ball!  Taken away from us way too soon.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    I got to thinking about it and I don't believe they ever really discussed how Kukoc and the team ultimately got along. I know it was a tumultuous albeit not personal start st the Olympics, but what about after he spent time with the team? You'd think they got along well enough, but I felt Kukoc may have come off during the interviews with a chip on his shoulder.
    I see this as backstory and how everyone got to where they are.  Like blips of Ron Harper and Cartwright.

Where is Luc Longley at, lol? Wennington?
    Kukoc's story will probably be featured more prominently this Sunday as they move into '94 and '95...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110

Wasn't Drazen Petrovic also on that Croatia team? I think he was Croatian (or Yugoslavian or something).
    Yeah. Radja, Petrovic, Kukoc.   Croatia was really good.  Add in Goran Ivanisevic and you wonder how that country had so many awesome athletes at once.  

I agree i havent seen anything on Luc Longley yet. That’s crazy.  

they had a good team. Wonder how Drazen would have done in the NBA if he wasn't killed? Would he have won a championship? Been a huge NBA star?
    He was, imo, a star when he was killed. He averaged over 20 ppg his last 2 years in the NBA. It's tough to say if he would have won a championship though. I don't think he would have ever won one with the Nets. They were good (playoff level) while he was there, but I don't think they would have become one of the best teams. Now, if he would have left the Nets, who knows?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited May 2020
    Petrovic could have been a great #2 man on a contending team. Like if he was on the Knicks in the early 90's instead of the Nets, he might have been the piece that could have pushed them past Chicago.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Petrovic could have been a great #2 man on a contending team. Like if he was on the Knicks in the early 90's instead of the Nets, he might have been the piece that could have pushed them past Chicago.
    He wasn't going anywhere with DC, that is for sure.  Dude gave you 20 and 10 a night but wasn't clutch by any means.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    He wasn't going anywhere with DC, that is for sure.  Dude gave you 20 and 10 a night but wasn't clutch by any means.
    Fucking Derrick Coleman....dude could've been SOOO much better if he gave a shit about the game. He wasted so much talent...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Fucking Derrick Coleman....dude could've been SOOO much better if he gave a shit about the game. He wasted so much talent...
    100% agreed.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448

Yes, Petrovic played on that 92 Croatian team. If I remember correctly, there were 4 or 5 on that team that made it to the NBA. Dino Radja comes to mind.

Petrovic, Kukoc, and Vlade Divac played on the 88 Yugoslavia team. If you haven't, watch the Once Brothers 30 for 30. That, imo, is one of the best of the 30 for 30 series.
    Fantastic piece.

You youngsters here might not recognize Drazen Petrovic but that guy could friggin ball!  Taken away from us way too soon.
    Agree about Petrovic.

He could really shoot.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    100% agreed.
    Him and Kenny Anderson were a respectable tandem.  Both of those dudes had their separate issues.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    DC was one of my favorite college players.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Made a name for himself a little bit later (I think drafted in '96 or '97ish) and a bit off topic, but how about Peja Stojakovic?  Now that man could shoot!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938

Yeah. Radja, Petrovic, Kukoc.   Croatia was really good.  Add in Goran Ivanisevic and you wonder how that country had so many awesome athletes at once.  

I agree i havent seen anything on Luc Longley yet. That’s crazy.  

they had a good team. Wonder how Drazen would have done in the NBA if he wasn't killed? Would he have won a championship? Been a huge NBA star?
    He was, imo, a star when he was killed. He averaged over 20 ppg his last 2 years in the NBA. It's tough to say if he would have won a championship though. I don't think he would have ever won one with the Nets. They were good (playoff level) while he was there, but I don't think they would have become one of the best teams. Now, if he would have left the Nets, who knows?
    He was a star but I was thinking more like on the lines of Yao Ming as far as foreign superstar. Oh yeah Nets had a decent tteam, forgot about Coleman.

bbiggs said:
    Made a name for himself a little bit later (I think drafted in '96 or '97ish) and a bit off topic, but how about Peja Stojakovic?  Now that man could shoot!
    He might be best foreign/international shooter in the world. Only other person I can think of would be Dirk Nowitski.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I bought some British Knights because of Derrick Coleman
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    cutz said:

Fantastic piece.

Agree about Petrovic.

He could really shoot.
    He was better than Kukoc..we call him Mozart in Europe..
    he was on the way to sign for my team, Panathinaikos, when he died..

MJ is slave money and cocksure..more i watch this, less i like him..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Must be a translation thing ..... 
  • Options
    Drazen would’ve been great in today’s NBA.  I didnt watch the Nets much but man he could shoot 3’s. 

Peja as well if he played ten yrs later.  He’d be a Way bigger asset. 
  • Options
    Drazen would’ve been great in today’s NBA.  I didnt watch the Nets much but man he could shoot 3’s. 

Do we all forget that the Euro's changed basketball?

7'0 forwards shooting 3's.
    Euro step.
    Deft passing.
  • Options
    Yep.  The current game suits them so well tho.  I cant imagine even someone like prime Dirk playing last season.  Its changed so much in the last five years. 
  • Options
    Yep.  The current game suits them so well tho.  I cant imagine even someone like prime Dirk playing last season.  Its changed so much in the last five years. 
    Isolation ball?
  • Options
    What you mean??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Euro step.
    Deft passing.
    Not the so-called "Euro Step."
    That was being done before Bob Cousy played>LOL
    I cringe when I ever I hear that term being used. 
    How about this "Euro Step" from this 7' ? 
    https://youtu.be/rte0KxWhO3g

How about this? First player in the Video is DR. J !
    https://youtu.be/YAEPA-_ulPE

I'll give them the 7' shooting 3's. Dirk was the first to be able to hit 3's on a consistent bases? 
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    cutz said:

Euro step.
    Deft passing.

I'll give them the 7' shooting 3's. Dirk was the first to be able to hit 3's on a consistent bases? 
    Ginobili made the Euro Step popular.  That's easy research.  He did that second move laterally that was different than the usual 2 step.

Back in the 90's you had big guys running the floor and making 3's and passing like point guards.

Read above and all those players were big guys that changed the game to how it's played.

Watching Shaq go cost to coast was always entertainment, lol!
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    What you mean??
    Slave money?
    Didn't understand the comment and was guessing it made sense to you but was lost in translation.....could be I just didn't get it.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,797
    23scidoo said:
    What you mean??
    Slave money?
    Didn't understand the comment and was guessing it made sense to you but was lost in translation.....could be I just didn't get it.
    I'm right there with you brother.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    cutz said:

Euro step.
    Deft passing.

Ginobili made the Euro Step popular.  That's easy research.  He did that second move laterally that was different than the usual 2 step.

Back in the 90's you had big guys running the floor and making 3's and passing like point guards.

Read above and all those players were big guys that changed the game to how it's played.

Watching Shaq go cost to coast was always entertainment, lol!
    The so-called Euro Step was  being done well before Ginobili. 

I think a lot of people forget how well Shaq could run when he was younger. It was scary and, like you said, entertaining. 
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    What you mean??
    Slave money?
    I'm right there with you brother.
    My bad..i was thinking that, this guy loves money..a lot..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    No worries.  That is not a saying here.  Slave to the money I guess can be but when used with African Americans there is a sensitivity here to the word slave.
    Get what I think you were saying....he did take a lot of criticism for his "Republicans buy sneakers, too" comment.
  • Options
    No worries.  That is not a saying here.  Slave to the money I guess can be but when used with African Americans there is a sensitivity here to the word slave.
    Get what I think you were saying....he did take a lot of criticism for his "Republicans buy sneakers, too" comment.
    Apologies for the word..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    Apologies for the word..
    I don't think any apologies are needed.  I assumed it was just a translation thing.  
    Props to you for being able to communicate so well in English.
    I don't disagree that he seemed to worship the mighty dollar....but I can respect that he just wanted to play ball and cash checks.  (And gamble, he wanted to gamble!  Lol)
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    Could you even imagine how passionate and driven MJ may have sounded, had he used his platform to speak out against political issues and racial inequality?  I can't blame anyone for not using their platform.  We all in essence have a platform and there is always a risk when exercising free speech.  The man focused his energy mainly on athletic competition and I can't imagine he would have much left to give outside of that given the intensity in which he focused that energy.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.