Options

The Last “Dance” ESPN Documentary

Comments

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    Makes sense.  I wonder how well it worked earlier in the series, because Davis was having his way early in game 7.  
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Here’s something topical from Episode 5.  I got this back in 1993.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    Here’s something topical from Episode 5.  I got this back in 1993.

Very cool.  I thought those jerseys were horrible.  I was given a Marjle jersey and I gave it away because I wouldn't wear it, lol.
  • Options
    More than half way through and I don't want it to end.

So Krause gets credit for making the team but also gets credit for dismantling it.  How big is your ego that you feel the need to tear down dynasty?

I remember back in the day the team talking about breaking up and I always thought they didn't mean it, surely they would stay together?  I was wrong.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,798
    More than half way through and I don't want it to end.

So Krause gets credit for making the team but also gets credit for dismantling it.  How big is your ego that you feel the need to tear down dynasty?

I remember back in the day the team talking about breaking up and I always thought they didn't mean it, surely they would stay together?  I was wrong.
    I mentioned earlier, and I do not know the truth to it, but:

I recall there being strong rumors that David Robinson wanted wanted to join them AFTER the 98 season...for league minimum. Imagine replacing Bill Wennington with David freaking Robinson. No doubt that would have won them another ring at least.

I am all in on this series. I wish it were 20 episodes at least!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    Man that '92 Olympics squad was the shit. Forgot Isiah wasn't on the team. Now i know why. I miss 90's basketball. So many great players
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    These 2 episodes were my favorite.  Seeing how the Nike deal came together, building the Air Jordan brand, the Olympic practice story, the Kukoc story, the early 90's Bulls team replays showing how dominant they were, etc.  The list goes on and on.  So cool to re-live all of that.  What I liked even more was hearing the best players in the world all acknowledge MJ had another gear and was the greatest.  Best line of the night was MJ talking about the '92 Finals and Drexler in particular.  "Based on the way I was paying at that time, it wasn't even close, so I attacked him every time."  Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Man that '92 Olympics squad was the shit. Forgot Isiah wasn't on the team. Now i know why. I miss 90's basketball. So many great players
    Just think they left off Tim Hardaway, Nique and Worthy too.   Those 3 weren't slouches.  I mean Nique wouldn't pass but still, lol.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    Just think they left off Tim Hardaway, Nique and Worthy too.   Those 3 weren't slouches.  I mean Nique wouldn't pass but still, lol.
    yeah man but I guess the question would be who would you leave out? Laettner? Mulllin? Those would be the only two who would most likely be left out.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    I never realized how many people hated Isiah.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    yeah man but I guess the question would be who would you leave out? Laettner? Mulllin? Those would be the only two who would most likely be left out.

You could have left Bird off since he was a shell of himself.

Mullin was lethal back then, no way you leave the assassin from perimeter out.

Laetner had to be there for collegiate reasons.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yep.  It's always Jordan that gets blamed for keeping him off the dream team but Larry and Magic hated him too.  He was such a phony asshole.  Love that he wasn't part of that team.
  • Options
    So something they showed twice now was Jordan wearing the Bordeaux VII's.  I know he wore them during the Allstar game and the Michael Jackson video.  I would love to know where that footage of him wearing those came from in 92.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    As great as these guys were, they were not Dream Team material. Might've been Penske material though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yep.  It's always Jordan that gets blamed for keeping him off the dream team but Larry and Magic hated him too.  He was such a phony asshole.  Love that he wasn't part of that team.
    Pippen hated him too. He's complained that Isiah put forth a "choir-boy" image but he  was the one in Rodman's and Mahorn's ears getting them to play so dirty. Laimbeer was too....but Laimbeer owns it. Like Michael implied, Isiah was a great player, but for comradery and just having a good time in Barcelona, who needs him?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    As great as these guys were, they were not Dream Team material. Might've been Penske material though...
    Hardaway had the sickest crossover in the league.  Dominique Wilkins could friigin score on anyone, no defense though and Worthy was awesome, stop it.

But in seriousness I get your point but still that is some talent that didn't make the team.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Does everyone forget the kiss that Isaiah and Magic would do before each game when they met?  

Who was being phony then?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Hardaway had the sickest crossover in the league.  Dominique Wilkins could friigin score on anyone, no defense though and Worthy was awesome, stop it.

But in seriousness I get your point but still that is some talent that didn't make the team.
    Yeah but you gotta draw the line somewhere. 

Interested in how they handle next week's episodes with the gambling debt rumors and stuff.

I NEVER WANT THIS SHOW TO END!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,243
    I forgot how much I loved the NBA back then. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Same here.  Haven't felt the same about it since and never will again.  That was a magical era to be a fan.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    Same here.  Haven't felt the same about it since and never will again.  That was a magical era to be a fan.

The level of competition was amazing.
  • Options
    I didn't realize how much of a toll the gambling questioning wore down MJ.  Makes sense why he turned himself off to the media for a little while.  That and eventually losing his dad had to be too much.
  • Options
    I didn't realize how much of a toll the gambling questioning wore down MJ.  Makes sense why he turned himself off to the media for a little while.  That and eventually losing his dad had to be too much.
    When they went inside of his hotel room and he said "it's peaceful in here until you guys came in".  Then they showed the mobs of people like in the Olympics.  It's just unimaginable that he was always under a microscope.
  • Options
    I would love to see a 90's documentary.

There were so many great battles back in the day.

Miller/Starks, Shaq/Barkley or Shaq slapping Ostertag.  Shaq destroying the hydraulic backboards, Latrell choking PJ, MJ Choking Miller.

Man so many classic story lines!
  • Options
    Keeping with the choking theme.  The Sonics choking to the Nuggets.  Nick Anderson choking in the Finals.
  • Options
    Keeping with the choking theme.  The Sonics choking to the Nuggets.  Nick Anderson choking in the Finals.
    Don't pick on Nick.  I liked him!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited May 2020
    Malone on those free-throws in the finals (Pip to him before the free-throws: "Mailmen don't deliver on Sundays"). Not as bad as that Nick Anderson debacle. But still some big misses in a big spot. 

Speaking of Pip though, I can't remember the exact game but I think it was one of the 97 or 98 finals games where Pippen missed two big free-throws that would have iced the game, but Rodman got the offensive rebound on the second one, was fouled, and MADE both free-throws. A very overlooked Rodman moment. I wish I remembered the exact game. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Does anyone remember when Pippen was dunking and not touching the rim?  He would go up and flip the ball in.

I loved when he did that.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,243

Miller/Starks, Shaq/Barkley or Shaq slapping Ostertag.  Shaq destroying the hydraulic backboards, Latrell choking PJ, MJ Choking Miller.

Can’t believe how much I forgot about this time. Starks was such a punk.
  • Options

Can’t believe how much I forgot about this time. Starks was such a punk.
    When Rodman was on the Spurs you watched those games because you knew it was a 50/50 shot he was getting kicked out and what color was his hair going to be and how many boards will he get?

There was a game against the Pistons where he got T'd up and Laimbeer is clapping at his appreciation for Dennis getting shown the door.