Options

Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    edited March 2020
    MN3270 said:
    Based on the last couple albums, I wasn't expecting anything great. And in my opinion, this record isn't great. A couple of strong songs but, overall, more uninspired music from a band that can't seem to find its way or place anymore. I must say that Matt and Mike are killing it on this record but the vocals seem forced at times and the song structures seem to be all over the place. I'm all for a band changing sounds, or evolving, but the songs still need to be strong. I'm not feeling that here. I don't want or expect them to sound like they did 20+ years ago but I do want a great, new Pearl Jam record. I'm still waiting for that. 
    I think you hit the nail on the head here - I am not expecting the same sound from the beginning (and PJ has for the most part had different sounding albums) but it seems that contemporary music has inspired their sound and they are leaving their roots behind without noticing it.

For example, this is by far Eddie’s worst record lyrically and vocally and it’s not close (the boys want to grow part - where does he get this stuff from Facebook 13 year olds?)

I hope they have a heart to heart meeting after this album sells the least amount in their careers and go back to their roots they are all so talented and can do a great record again if they put the effort.
    Post edited by JF116983 on
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    JF116983 said:
    MN3270 said:
    Based on the last couple albums, I wasn't expecting anything great. And in my opinion, this record isn't great. A couple of strong songs but, overall, more uninspired music from a band that can't seem to find its way or place anymore. I must say that Matt and Mike are killing it on this record but the vocals seem forced at times and the song structures seem to be all over the place. I'm all for a band changing sounds, or evolving, but the songs still need to be strong. I'm not feeling that here. I don't want or expect them to sound like they did 20+ years ago but I do want a great, new Pearl Jam record. I'm still waiting for that. 
    I think you hit the nail on the head here - I am not expecting the same sound from the beginning (and PJ has for the most part had different sounding albums) but it seems that contemporary music has inspired their sound and they are leaving their roots behind without noticing it.

For example, this is by far Eddie’s worst record lyrically and vocally and it’s not close (the boys want to grow part - where does he get this stuff from Facebook 13 year olds?)

I hope they have a heart to heart meeting after this album sells the least amount in their careers and go back to their roots they are all so talented and can do a great record again if they put the effort.
    Wow...thats crazy. So many differing opinions here. I actually think its possibly the strongest album lyrically in the whole catalog.

I was not expecting much with gigaton. Ive been unimpressed with pearl jam's studio output since riot act, which up until now i thought was the last really good album they put out. After being disappointed with lightning bolt, i started to appreciate avocado a little more, but i think it was a relative appreciation due to backspacer and LB being so mediocre. 

The song structures, lyrics and production are what really take gigaton to a new level to my ears from what theyve been doing for most of this century. Love this album. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    JF116983 said:
    MN3270 said:

Wow. I couldn’t disagree more. Reading through the lyrics last night during my second listen I thought to myself this is Ed’s strongest in a long time. And I love his delivery as well. I personally don’t want a record that sounds like Ten or VS. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    It sounds like Pearl Jam without sounding like what any of their previous albums sound like.  To me that is a very great accomplishment
    Perfectly said. 👏🏼 
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    edited March 2020
    As with every other album these dudes have produced, the more you listen to it, the more it sounds like Pearl Jam. I'll admit the first time I heard DOTC two months ago or whatever, my initial reaction was "WTF is this?" It was such an unexpected departure. Now I've heard it so much it just sounds like Pearl Jam to me. You get used to it. The other less straightforward songs on the record will get there too.

Also, this band is set up to where there's really no "sounds like Pearl Jam." They were putting out friggin accordion songs in 1995, so all bets are off now.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Well I respect all views and not all of us going to agree other than we fell in love with the band for one reason or another. 

Personally older PJ had strong lyrics listen to RVM on Vs and see what I mean, that song is about being abused as a child and leaving that, really powerful. While I don’t expect Ed to have lyrics like that cause he already got that off his chest, there so much to write about what’s going on that he could really get to the next level in Lyrics

Sirens was one of this songs last album, - this one doesn’t have anything close lyrically BS had Just Breathe & The End, really strong lyrics there. I expected more and they didn’t get there this time. 

Oh well there is always next time. Based on some lists I have seen, some have ranked what I think are strong albums really low so we are all different and that’s ok. I was a kid when PJ came out and they just connected with why was happening in the world at the time, last time they did that was Avocado with World Wide Suicide, I just expected more, nothing wrong with that given this bands output over their career.

I am sure the band realizes themselves this is not a strong album hence why they waited six years and multiple re-recordings. Can’t deny me was closest to classic PJ they had and they removed it from the album due to not fitting - that should speak volumes. Can’t Deny Me is classic PJ this album is not.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    What makes you so damn sure the band isn’t happy with the album. They sure sound happy talking about it. So they should
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    What makes you so damn sure the band isn’t happy with the album. They sure sound happy talking about it. So they should
    Because Can’t Deny Me was released abruptly and supposed to be part of the album but then did not make it. Album was delayed for years and that’s usually a bad sign of disagreement - of course they have to promote it and be on same page now but you can tell by process. You will see as I’m sure that will come out in something one day. Bands don’t just release album songs years early and that song doesn’t make album.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    pdalowsky said:
    I love it. 

So happy 
    Yes!
  • Options
    I adore this album. Not gonna rank it because ranking art is pointless. But this album really says a lot to me. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    JF116983 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Because Can’t Deny Me was released abruptly and supposed to be part of the album but then did not make it. Album was delayed for years and that’s usually a bad sign of disagreement - of course they have to promote it and be on same page now but you can tell by process. You will see as I’m sure that will come out in something one day. Bands don’t just release album songs years early and that song doesn’t make album.
    yeah no, I don't understand your logic.but that's fine :)
  • Options
    mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    JF116983 said:
    Well I respect all views and not all of us going to agree other than we fell in love with the band for one reason or another. 

Personally older PJ had strong lyrics listen to RVM on Vs and see what I mean, that song is about being abused as a child and leaving that, really powerful. While I don’t expect Ed to have lyrics like that cause he already got that off his chest, there so much to write about what’s going on that he could really get to the next level in Lyrics

Sirens was one of this songs last album, - this one doesn’t have anything close lyrically BS had Just Breathe & The End, really strong lyrics there. I expected more and they didn’t get there this time. 

Oh well there is always next time. Based on some lists I have seen, some have ranked what I think are strong albums really low so we are all different and that’s ok. I was a kid when PJ came out and they just connected with why was happening in the world at the time, last time they did that was Avocado with World Wide Suicide, I just expected more, nothing wrong with that given this bands output over their career.

I am sure the band realizes themselves this is not a strong album hence why they waited six years and multiple re-recordings. Can’t deny me was closest to classic PJ they had and they removed it from the album due to not fitting - that should speak volumes. Can’t Deny Me is classic PJ this album is not.
    LOL what an absolute buffoon. This is hilarious. One of the all time "Talking Out of My Ass Posts" I've seen on here in a LONG time
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,833
    Aw yeah it does.  The ‘90s are over.  They are not going to make another record like Vitalogy or Vrs.  
    These guys are in their 50s who just gave us a tremendous record. 
  • Options
    Age doesn’t matter they are capable - Paul McCartney has put out gems in his 70s. There are no shortcuts, you got to be willing to put in the work to get results. 

I know all the diehards will say it best PJ/album of the year/great this and that just because their favorite band put this out, but musically you will see years down the road - why? Because live they won’t play the song anymore. Think back on how many Backspacer songs made their last tour? And how many other songs form before did? 

Why does A song Present Tense (a non single) get so much play on tours? The reason is simple, it’s a gem and musicians know what their gems are.

When the next tour kicks off and very few Gigaton songs are played you will see what I mean right low y’all diehards are just happy you have PJ music and with that said I am glad SBWM was released as thats their best song in years.
  • Options
    AKRounder85AKRounder85 Phila Posts: 250
    edited March 2020
    Gigaton is bottom 3 for me. Ahead of only Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

Great production though.
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    JF116983 said:
    Age doesn’t matter they are capable - Paul McCartney has put out gems in his 70s. There are no shortcuts, you got to be willing to put in the work to get results. 

I know all the diehards will say it best PJ/album of the year/great this and that just because their favorite band put this out, but musically you will see years down the road - why? Because live they won’t play the song anymore. Think back on how many Backspacer songs made their last tour? And how many other songs form before did? 

Why does A song Present Tense (a non single) get so much play on tours? The reason is simple, it’s a gem and musicians know what their gems are.

When the next tour kicks off and very few Gigaton songs are played you will see what I mean right low y’all diehards are just happy you have PJ music and with that said I am glad SBWM was released as thats their best song in years.

Can't Deny Me is classic Pearl Jam?!??

I'd be happy to wager that we hear Gigaton songs far more often and longer in the future than we ever hear CDM.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Absolutely - see Ticketmaster fight, Blood (media such as Circus Magazine), World Wide Suicide, Grievance, Got Some, Mind Your Manners, these type of songs are Classic Pearl Jam in that they rock out and are about the current world situation. 
  • Options
    JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    JF116983 said:

For me personally, it took me three listens, vinyl with and without ear muffs, but to me there is more here than what meets the ear upon a few listens....lyrically Eddie and the boys have put some in depth work into this album.  Abuse of a child, as sick and sad as that is, relationships lost and gained, success and failures, this album not only takes more from that, it expounds it 100x fold. Their maturity and agedness shows from the opening beat. I firmly believe this album will have more to say as time moves forward, and some eyes will be wrenched open further than they have in years. the messages within are really disturbing and uplifting simultaneously...I have had to put it on pause, a step away and letting it digest....I just say, PJ, you five men have sent a clear and loud message that once heard is most challenging to remove from the psyche....then again my 2 cents
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    Absolutely - see Ticketmaster fight, Blood (media such as Circus Magazine), World Wide Suicide, Grievance, Got Some, Mind Your Manners, these type of songs are Classic Pearl Jam in that they rock out and are about the current world situation. 

So 5 years from now... what has more plays - CDM or Gigaton?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Well I connected with RVM from Vs, PJ is capable of that level. I have heard this album more than 3xs and not there (same thing happened with LB, never connected) and I don’t think it ever will. 

There is a reason the songs released were their best three - I am sure we can all agree that the best three are tracks 2-4. 

The others are fillers nothing like the days when non-singles were gems still played during last tour. 

Last US Gold album was Backspacer, Last platinum album was Yield. Most posts I have seen in this thread list Avocado as last good album and that was what 15 years ago?
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,254
    JF116983 said:

With the greatest amount of respect that I can summon, this is absolute and utter tripe.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    you don’t have to agree that’s what’s beautiful about the world we are all different - trust me I was as diehard a PJ fan as there was until I became a musician in late 90’s and started figuring out how to play songs be ear. 

My musical experience helps me realize when they get lazy because I myself have been there & written songs that I know were not the Best but were played cause we needed more songs and that’s what Gigaton is to me, an album of compromises with scraped songs - there is a reason for that (scrapped songs) but I don’t expect any diehards to understand, just putting it out there.

And by the way, I once had the opportunity to meet Stone Gossard and told him I figured out a song by ear with chords listed and he confirmed the chords and then was upset by that fact while discounting the individual who wrote it musically with his friends present (won’t disclose song/who as to not add controversy). I gained Stone’s respect that night as after the show he hung out with me an ordinary fan asking me about the show and talking shop. Stone is the glue of that band and the one that is most musically inclined there, my point is that I am sure Stone would agree Gigaton is not his best album and that’s really the pint of making albums, sound better than last time.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    What a load of shit that post is in so many ways^
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hey you don’t have to believe me it doesn’t matter to me I said in beginning was ready for diehards to kill me, don’t care man go troll somewhere else - start your own thread or go find the other thread Where someone is arguing a counterpoint, stay safe.
  • Options
    dogmattdogmatt Posts: 101
    Thankful for new PJ.  Love the album.

• Options
    I have no idea how you can dismiss Gigaton as a collection of scrapped songs and also declare Can't Deny Me to be a masterpiece. 

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    JF116983 said:
    Hey you don’t have to believe me it doesn’t matter to me I said in beginning was ready for diehards to kill me, don’t care man go troll somewhere else - start your own thread or go find the other thread Where someone is arguing a counterpoint, stay safe.
    I didn’t care about your opinion being different from mine. It was how hard you are trying to stroke yourself in a post. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Great that a handful like the album, happy for you but the majority seem to not be happy and I’m glad not only one, struck a chord in community as 5k ppl following/seeing thread.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    lol you wanna listen to VS or TEN go ahead that was then this is now , your not in their world this is where they are now musically! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    wall232 said:
    JF116983 said:
    I agree (with just a few exceptions)
    I only like about half of backspacer  and lightning bolt but, sadly,  I'm even less of a fan of GT
    Glad not only one
    I really won’t make a full judgement until I hear the songs live but I felt like I was missing something with all the praise on here for the album. Glad to see I’m not the only one too. 

I want to love it and really do like the first few songs but then it drops off so quickly, for me that is. Will need a few more listens for sure. Vinyl is suppose to get delivered today so I’ll be spinning that tonight. 

this.  second half hit and miss