Options

Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    I loved Little help from my friends and Yellow Sub both gems but what made Ringo special is how he played the drums in a way that let songs breathe and have space no other drummer could have done that he was perfect for the Beatles 
  • Options
    mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    JF116983 said:
    I guess you weren’t around for the lottery drawings for MSG & Baltimore loosing interest lol 
    Enlighten me I have been around since 2002 just don’t live posting here but quarantine has me bored.
    You claim people are losing interest in the band and yet the lottery drawings for the Spring Tour were some of the toughest ever to get a ticket at MSG and Baltimore. Not to mention sold out shows on the west coast too. You're just totally full of crap...tickets that made their way to the secondary market for New York were going for like $800 just to get in the building. More people want to see them now than maybe ever...you sound really dumb.

Also despite what you think you really really REALLY don't know more than other people man. You can have your opinion and that's all well and good but your opinion is NOT "more right" than anyone else's. Art is subjective and you being a "musician" doesn't mean you are suddenly able to throw stones from a glass house. Quite obnoxious actually..
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    What do sold out shows have to do with albums? Are they playing Gigaton Backspacer and Lightning Bolt only at shows now or do they play songs form be entire catalog? When you see a show playing those albums only and sold out tours, then come talk to me about that. 

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    JF116983 said:
    Thanks to all that gave constructiva comments, I was looking up reviews of the album outside this website and saw that I am not the only one disappointed with the last 12 years it’s also nice to know I’m not the only one here. 

For the haters, I hope you are able to learn how to accept differences of opinion as that emphatic response will serve you well instead of attacking others for their differences. I truly hope you all change and become constructive rather than spit venom at people here. There are some that are lonely and looking for an escape here, I hope you don’t hurt those ones (I have thick skin and your attacked meant nothing to me) - this community is better than that.

Stay Safe

Never understood people caring about reviews anyways... It's one persons opinion..  just 1.  Doesn't matter if they write for Rolling Stone or post on a forum. It's 1 persons opinion.

See you guys later- Stay Safe!

Gonna go listen to the album a bunch more, before I form an opinion on something that should be allowed to simmer. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    JF116983 said:
    What do sold out shows have to do with albums? Are they playing Gigaton Backspacer and Lightning Bolt only at shows now or do they play songs form be entire catalog? When you see a show playing those albums only and sold out tours, then come talk to me about that. 

You LITERALLY said people were losing interest in them and are going to shows less because you have one friend that saw U2 instead. Holy crap you really are being a troll. You must be SUPER bored...what a child
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    Great that ppl like this.

side question for those who like this album and have kids, what you think of boys want to grow lyric - will u play that song for your kids? 

I think it’s Ed’s worst lyric of his career & removed song from album download (no more CDs for me) but just wondering what others think

here is a little tidbit for those who care, I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did - we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that.

After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 
    Here's the post btw 

"many are starting to lose their patience with the band" uh no
  • Options
    Thanks for your views and stay safe - I agree opinions don’t matter if you enjoy it, I was just looking for people that felt similar to me and based on views and replied I can sense not only one and that makes me feel better. 

It’s too bad people with different opinions come to attack, I just posted my opinion looking for others to help me mourn nothing more - I should have ignited the trolls but I really want them to change since that attitude will lead to failure outside this virtual fence.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    JF116983 said:
    Thanks for your views and stay safe - I agree opinions don’t matter if you enjoy it, I was just looking for people that felt similar to me and based on views and replied I can sense not only one and that makes me feel better. 

It’s too bad people with different opinions come to attack, I just posted my opinion looking for others to help me mourn nothing more - I should have ignited the trolls but I really want them to change since that attitude will lead to failure outside this virtual fence.

Mourn really mourn damn dude there’s a pandemic happening and your talking mourning lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JF116983 said:

I will give you an A+ grade as a troll. Just wish you would take the trolling to a different message board...

And if you're not a troll maybe learn how to communicate and discuss like a normal person. I imagine if you're like this in the real world you don't get along with many people. No one likes a condescending jerk! 

Stay safe though and enjoy your Beatles albums!
  • Options
    JF116983 said:

Mourn really mourn damn dude there’s a pandemic happening and your talking mourning lol 
    I am not discounting the pandemic at all there are bad things happening in world but talking about the pandemic will not be allowed here - go see my empty grocery stores post elsewhere on this board to see I am worried about all amid this pandemic.

you should not worry about my album opinion to compare it to a pandemic and add negativity - go spend your negative energy and do something positive for preparing your family for more lockdown and ensure you have enough cleaning supplies, food, toilet paper etc. if you only listen to this it will be worth it. we all only have so much energy and it’s best to spend that energy in a positive way.

Again thanks to all Constructive ones, I am out of here, stay safe.

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    JF116983 said:

Ask me?.....You seem to want to get attacked...  :o

The album has been out how long?  and you post this? Get Real... I agree with above.. A++ on the Trolling.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I honestly feel bad for those who are not enjoying this album. Wtf did you expect 30 years into their career? Oh well, I think it’s brilliant.  
    This is sort of where I am. Even if it only had three or four songs worth adding to the tour setlist, it would still be a successful album. I think it is much, much better than that. With nothing to do, I've been listening to the whole thing at least once a day as I walk around my block for exercise. It's an hour long, so that's a good enough little workout. Last night I sat on my back porch on a crystal clear night and listened to those final three songs under the stars and moon. Gave me chills.

So yeah, I pity the people who just don't ... feel the music the way I do. It's a very visceral thing that gets me right down to my bones. It's sort of like those people who aren't able to have an orgasm. It's not their fault, but you still feel sorry for them.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    OP’s two points:

#1 Gigaton won’t have any tour regulars so it must suck

Many shows have no songs from No Code, Riot Act, Binaural and only one or two from Yield.  So do those albums suck because they don’t get consistent play at shows?   

#2 The band is not happy with the songs and scrapping CDM  and going back in the studio is proof.

Well, maybe they realized  they wanted stronger songs and to release something only when they were proud of it?  Your argument that they aren’t happy with the album because they spent more time because they didn’t like the early songs is nonsensical.  It would only make sense if they released the album as soon as they had 12 songs regardless of quality. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    This album keeps growing on me more and more with every listen.  Wasn't one of those albums that got me right out of the gate, but those are few and far between.   Loving having some new PJ to spin.
  • Options
    nigelnigel Posts: 267
    After a few listens my personal view is that Gigaton is FANTASTIC - the best since Riot Act.
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
     So far most In this thread ranks Gigaton bottom tier - I want/need PJ to do better since they are better musicians now, perhaps too distracted now? Don’t know, the pint is do their best work later since they are better - it’s possible but take more hard work and dedication than before since they lost the hunger - trust me adversity would bring out their best
    The issue I think with this is, who is to say you just personally don't like the musical direction they are choosing to go in, as opposed to them "losing the hunger"?

I feel like a lot of times there rises the increasing inability for some to say "this album isn't for my personal tastes" instead of blaming the band for not catering to their own personal tastes
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 
    On the other hand, I personally know someone who saw Pearl Jam on the Lightning Bolt tour for the first time and LB was their first PJ album beyond the 90s albums they checked out and they are now a hardcore fan because of that experience and album

All in all these are just anecdotal experiences, we can't extrapolate and say because your friend isn't into the recent albums that "many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well".

I get that from the statements you are making in this thread that the recent Pearl Jam albums do not resonate with you.  And that is totally cool - the world would be very boring if it was a requirement that we all liked the same albums.  However again, I feel like ultimately instead of making these odd extrapolations the best course of action would be to say "this isn't for my personal tastes" and that is it
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Great album great tunes different from the other albums which is what PJ do thank god.. We love ten vs etc... I personally love binaural and yield but if all the albums sounded the same, well surly you'd soon get bored.. Thanks PJ 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JF116983 said:

side question for those who like this album and have kids, what you think of boys want to grow lyric - will u play that song for your kids? 

I think it’s Ed’s worst lyric of his career & removed song from album download (no more CDs for me) but just wondering what others think

here is a little tidbit for those who care, I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did - we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that.

I don't understand why people are all twisted about this lyric lol

Are we a bunch of fucking pilgrims?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    And to answer the question:
    If my son (who is only 5, so unlikely for a while) ever asks, I will explain it to him like a rational, thinking adult. 
    It will be a great opportunity to open up conversations on both the literal and metaphorical implications of this loaded and, honestly, brilliant line.

I really do think people who wrinkle their nose at that line need to stop a second and THINK about what he is saying.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    rgambs said:
    If my son (who is only 5, so unlikely for a while) ever asks, I will explain it to him like a rational, thinking adult. 
    It will be a great opportunity to open up conversations on both the literal and metaphorical implications of this loaded and, honestly, brilliant line.

I really do think people who wrinkle their nose at that line need to stop a second and THINK about what he is saying.
    Absolutely agree! Don't get the outrage from some at all. there's a message in that lyric that people seemingly choose to ignore because of one word?!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    rgambs said:

Exactly.  I have 4 kids and our rule is that they can ask us any question they want and they will get an honest answer.  Believe me... there have been some doozy questions over the years.  But we answer them all honestly.  Explaining the line from this song would be a walk in the park compared to some
    of stuff we talk about 😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 901
    I think good music DOES often require time to appreciate.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    rgambs said:
    JF116983 said:

I don't understand why people are all twisted about this lyric lol

Are we a bunch of fucking pilgrims?
    😂😂😂 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    One full weekend in and, as if it weren't enough how amazing this album is upon first playthrough, it just keeps getting better with each subsequent listen. Well done, gents! :rock_on::plus_one::rock_on:
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    One full weekend in and, as if it weren't enough how amazing this album is upon first playthrough, it just keeps getting better with each subsequent listen. Well done, gents! :rock_on::plus_one::rock_on:
    100% agree - you saved me from typing this
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    Are people really listening to rocksongs, and going on a rockbands message board worrying about the rock songs they are listening to mentioning the word "dick" and they don't know how to relate that to their kids?

... really?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    I haven’t read through the first few pages of this thread.

But in relation to the OP‘s statement…IMO...PJ has always been a band that is capable of producing a wide spectrum of sounds (thus part of their greatness)...
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    JF116983 said:

U2?!! That’s the reference point? Talk about lacklustre. I saw them on the last tour, and yes they were good because they were relying on an album from 1987. I will be 40 this year, and that album came out when I was 7!

IMO, U2 hasn’t put out a good album in decades. And yet their ticket prices are sky-high. I was planing on doing 6 PJ shows this spring and would have been able too see all of them for the price of 1 ticket!

Anyways, I think PJ should be commended for keeping ticket prices low and for continuing to make fresh music this far into their career. It’s oft said, but our views on art are obviously subjective. Seems that this album is somewhat polarizing, but the majority on here seem to like it. I accept you don’t like it, but no need to go full-defence on your point.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    Are people really listening to rocksongs, and going on a rockbands message board worrying about the rock songs they are listening to mentioning the word "dick" and they don't know how to relate that to their kids?

... really?
    Whoever posted that either doesn’t have kids or they have very young kids.  Just wait until your kids are old enough to get on a school bus.  They’ll be coming home asking you what all kind of words mean. 😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore