Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    I think Gigaton is decent. I REALLY like the first half of the album. The second half is sort of meh. 

But more than anything, I really wish Ed would enunciate a little more. I haven’t been able to understand the lyrics without reading them in a long, long time. I know he’s kind of always been like that, but it’s getting worse. He changed the way he sings starting with Riot Act, and sometimes it’s just not good. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited March 2020
    JF116983 said:
    Great that ppl like this.

side question for those who like this album and have kids, what you think of boys want to grow lyric - will u play that song for your kids? 

I think it’s Ed’s worst lyric of his career & removed song from album download (no more CDs for me) but just wondering what others think

here is a little tidbit for those who care, I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did - we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that.

After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 
    Get lost troll.  This guy is poisoning every thread with his nonsense. It’s one thing to state your opinion but you are obviously making it your full time job to post in every forum how much you hate the new album, almost like you are getting paid to do so. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    I think Gigaton is decent. I REALLY like the first half of the album. The second half is sort of meh. 

But more than anything, I really wish Ed would enunciate a little more. I haven’t been able to understand the lyrics without reading them in a long, long time. I know he’s kind of always been like that, but it’s getting worse. He changed the way he sings starting with Riot Act, and sometimes it’s just not good. 
    You are correct, he has changed the way he sings and sometimes it isn’t good. I was listening to Yield the other day and it was so evident. He also does this thing with his jaw now which I really dislike. He needs to drop the smoking like Cornell did. It really improved his voice. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Comes and Goes has really strong lyrics, but I was hoping somewhere in the middle Mike would have done a Patience like acoustic solo. I see a lot of places on the album that songs are good, but not great. Somethings missing. (Maybe Eddie’s phrasing is not as usual) A lot of song Eddie doesn’t hook you on the beginning and it’s Mike and Jeff that take the song to another level during the second half. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    PJammin' said:

You are correct, he has changed the way he sings and sometimes it isn’t good. I was listening to Yield the other day and it was so evident. He also does this thing with his jaw now which I really dislike. He needs to drop the smoking like Cornell did. It really improved his voice. 
    Agreed. I wonder if the jaw thing is why some of the words sound weird. I keep hearing “Mush to be done” on Seven O’clock. I don’t really understand why he changed the way he sings. I wish he could quit smoking if he still hasn’t. That’s a tough battle.
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    PJammin' said:

Agreed. I wonder if the jaw thing is why some of the words sound weird. I keep hearing “Mush to be done” on Seven O’clock. I don’t really understand why he changed the way he sings. I wish he could quit smoking if he still hasn’t. That’s a tough battle.
    Both of you make interesting points thank you what’s the jaw thing you are noting above? I did notice voice less powerful @ Riot Act too but really didn’t think about it since reading this here.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    JF116983 said:
    PJammin' said:

Both of you make interesting points thank you what’s the jaw thing you are noting above? I did notice voice less powerful @ Riot Act too but really didn’t think about it since reading this here.
    If you watch newer performances I’m sure you’ll notice it. I would have to find one on YouTube. More than anything, I believe the smoking had the biggest impact on his voice; but it looks like he’s not stopping anytime soon, judging from that podcast. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    Take a look I wonder is Stone still smokes - met him once and I think he smoked like a cigarette every 3 minutes, I have never seen someone smoke that fast including my dad/brothers. Hope they all stop
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    In through the out door doesn't sound like Zeppelin.  BUT I LOVE IT like I do the rest of their stuff.  Loving Gigaton!  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited March 2020
    If Ed quit smoking it would help his lung capacity and stamina I think.

But voices change no matter what after 30 years of being human.  Let alone a human who sang his entire life some very strenuous songs in marathon concerts.

Quitting smoking is overblown how difficult it is.

Not hard if you want to stop. 

Most people don't want to, even if they say they do.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    New album + Corona = the best and worst of some. Or is the latter even a factor? :lol:

Last I checked, it’s possible to disagree without being an asshole. 

As for myself, I kinda dig a few songs and others not so much. Plenty of time for re-listening. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    edited March 2020
    I honestly feel bad for those who are not enjoying this album. Wtf did you expect 30 years into their career? Oh well, I think it’s brilliant.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    I honestly feel bad for those who are not enjoying this album. Wtf did you expect 30 years into their career? Oh well, I think it’s brilliant.  

Agreed.  No one has to like it but too bad for them.   Really enjoy this album.  I love the layering and the little effects.  It is called evolving and changing.   My tastes have changed and I have been hoping PJ would make something closer to what I like now and they did.  
    edited March 2020
    JF116983 said:
    PJammin' said:

All Or None is a perfect example of how he purposefully changed his singing. The first half of it, he’s singing in his new style. Then after the first solo, starting with “To myself...” BAM. It’s back to the way he sounded on every other album. Unfortunately, he’s kept the new style for a long time now. 

It sounds like he puts marbles in his mouth before he records his vocals now. He pronounces words differently after the S/T album too. I think this is in part because of the “jaw thing” PJammin’ referenced. “Open” sounds like whoa-pen. “Or” sounds like horror. “For” and “forced” sounds like foah and foawced. His s’s are mush. “The” is da. (I know, it’s the Chicago in him, haha) 

I was so pissed when I bought the new album and listened to it on my way home. (I only got midway through Seven O’clock) I couldn’t understand a damn word he was saying! The vinyl arrived today, and I sat down and listened to it while reading the lyrics, and it helped. Like I said, I just really wish Ed would just enunciate a little better. 

Having said all that, I still love Ed and the band and I do think this is a pretty decent album. I wish the back half was a little more rockin, but I’m happy with it. The guitars and drums sound much better on Gigaton than Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. 
    Post edited by Jimmydean55 on
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    And here's to 20 more years of a career, if they want! 
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 449
    We're freakin' lucky they Play Live for us! 
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    TN49724 said:
    All these reviews are fascinating - not so much the reviews, but the responses to the reviews.  Like, what fans are allowed to think or should think.  

Chances are if you’re on this chat you’re a pretty big fan.  Then the critiques evolve into the validity of an opinion in relation to factors like musical knowledge, can u play an instrument, etc.

I tried to think what my 13 year old self would have thought of this album, similar to my age when I heard Ten.  Impossible to know. 

I have spent so much time and money on this band.  And I wouldn’t change a second of it.  This album is ok, just ok, and that’s alright.  

Lose the damn Kalimba, cut out the damn layering.  Give me guitars, drums and Eddie being pissed writing quick, sharp, poignant lyrics.  

This album needed one thing - restraint.  Restraint on kalimba, restraint on the production, and  fewer damn words.  Yes, I agree w others on that. 

The 1 thing it seems everyone agrees on is this - Lightning Bolt was not good.  Like really not good.  

Gigaton is better than that.  We got 4 or 5 really strong songs.  That’s 4 or 5 more than we had this time last year.  
    Is kalimba even on more than 2 tracks? Alright and River Cross, right? Am I missing something? Seems a strange thing to make mention of.
    Thanks to all that gave constructiva comments, I was looking up reviews of the album outside this website and saw that I am not the only one disappointed with the last 12 years it’s also nice to know I’m not the only one here. 

For the haters, I hope you are able to learn how to accept differences of opinion as that emphatic response will serve you well instead of attacking others for their differences. I truly hope you all change and become constructive rather than spit venom at people here. There are some that are lonely and looking for an escape here, I hope you don’t hurt those ones (I have thick skin and your attacked meant nothing to me) - this community is better than that.

Stay Safe

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    JF116983 said:
    side question for those who like this album and have kids, what you think of boys want to grow lyric - will u play that song for your kids? 
    Kid-friendly rock would likely be lame as fuck, but with Pearl Jam, is this the first lyric you've come across that made you wonder this?
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    JF116983 said:
    Thanks to all that gave constructiva comments, I was looking up reviews of the album outside this website and saw that I am not the only one disappointed with the last 12 years it’s also nice to know I’m not the only one here. 

For the haters, I hope you are able to learn how to accept differences of opinion as that emphatic response will serve you well instead of attacking others for their differences. I truly hope you all change and become constructive rather than spit venom at people here. There are some that are lonely and looking for an escape here, I hope you don’t hurt those ones (I have thick skin and your attacked meant nothing to me) - this community is better than that.

Stay Safe

I for one wasn’t bothered by your bad review. I was bothered with you saying „the band knows it’s bad“ and basically saying it’s a fact it’s bad and the rest just hasn’t realized it. That to me is a ridiculous statement. (If I got you mixed up with someone else, sorry)
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I've only listened twice, and my initial takeaway it that it's too wordy. The music is great but it doesn't seem to have any room to breathe.

But hey maybe that's the point of this album: a lot to say and not a lot of time to say it.
    edited March 2020
    I mentioned band knows it’s not a strong album (their best)

The process shows this they scrapped bunch of songs can’t deny me was supposed to be on the album and did not make it usually this is song does not fit you can interpret that as everything is perfect but you don’t spend lots of money on studio recordings and scrap them because you are happy with album. So they re-record what they end up accepting

Knowing the process of left out songs, time, and listening to this album confirms it’s an album of compromise and not their best output.

Post edited by JF116983 on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    JF116983 said:
    Great that ppl like this.

I think it’s Ed’s worst lyric of his career & removed song from album download (no more CDs for me) but just wondering what others think

here is a little tidbit for those who care, I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did - we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that.

After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 
    Really man your post is hilarious so now your friend is an authority as to why this band is done lol keep them post coming 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited March 2020
    JF116983 said:
    I mentioned band knows it’s not their best.

The process shows this they scrapped bunch of songs can’t deny me was supposed to be on the album and did not make it usually this is song does not fit you can interpret that as everything is perfect but you don’t spend lots of money on studio recordings and scrap them because you are happy with album. So they re-record what they end up accepting

Knowing the process of left out songs, time, and listening to this album confirms it’s an album of compromise and not their best output.

You gotta stop stating your opinions as facts. “...the band knows it’s not their best”. You don’t know shit.  Your just a troll, and a damn good one actually.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    I guess you weren’t around for the lottery drawings for MSG & Baltimore loosing interest lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    vedpunk said:
    JF116983 said:

You gotta stop stating your opinions as facts. “...the band knows it’s not their best”. You don’t know a damn thing.
    But he met Stone one time. Don’t forget that. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    vedpunk said:
    JF116983 said:

You gotta stop stating your opinions as facts. “...the band knows it’s not their best”. You don’t know a damn thing.
    But he met Stone one time. Don’t forget that. 
    Lol Thanks for reminding me!  
    edited March 2020
    Actually I said:

I am sure the band realizes themselves this is not a strong album hence why they waited six years and multiple re-recordings.

I believe this if you don’t I don’t care it’s my opinion you can have your own and ignore the facts they had multiple recordings and songs that they ultimately didn’t want to put out. 

The fact is studio time costs money and I am sure PJ likes wasting time and money just as much as I do (I don’t like it).

here are some reviews out there that feel similar to me:

Review: Pearl Jam's Gigaton is their best album in 12 years, but that doesn't make it good

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/review-pearl-jam-s-gigaton-is-their-best-album-in-12-years-but-that-doesn-t-make-it-good-1.998197

From the sounds of it, Pearl Jam pieced Gigatontogether from various sessions over several years, with Vedder adding vocals to the choice bits after the fact. It’s hard to imagine this process leading toward a unified statement from any band, let alone one that’s already been having trouble finding 
    inspiration. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/pearl-jam-gigaton/amp/
    Post edited by JF116983 on
    I guess you weren’t around for the lottery drawings for MSG & Baltimore loosing interest lol 
    Enlighten me I have been around since 2002 just don’t live posting here but quarantine has me bored.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JF116983 said:
    Those albums were stellar what made the Beatles the Beatles is they all could write songs even Ringo George had gems (Gently Weeps my fav Beatles song) and Paul and John were just at another level, I love how the Beatles stood the test of time and I want PJ to produce at that level cause they are all so talented and able!
    What ringo songs were gems?   yellow submarine?  little help from my friends?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......