Options

Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 173
    I think u missed point this is not about being stuck in the past and PJ is probably better musically than they were in 90s, I have heard/been to many shows to know this. As a musician you get better with age musically speaking. 

The problem for me are the last 3 albums (more than a decade) have been really weak compare to others - I can take one bad album here and there but three in a row hurts me, hope they get out of this song writing funk they are in for the last 10 years or so.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    JF116983 said:
    Well I connected with RVM from Vs, PJ is capable of that level. I have heard this album more than 3xs and not there (same thing happened with LB, never connected) and I don’t think it ever will. 

There is a reason the songs released were their best three - I am sure we can all agree that the best three are tracks 2-4. 

The others are fillers nothing like the days when non-singles were gems still played during last tour. 

Last US Gold album was Backspacer, Last platinum album was Yield. Most posts I have seen in this thread list Avocado as last good album and that was what 15 years ago?

I've heard that some people like Born To Run and Born In The USA more than some of Bruce's newer stuff.  It's weird that people are so partial to albums that were part of their youth.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Well I can see that because when u are young the bands are young and hungry but look at someone like Paul McCartney - he is putting out gems in his 70s and the Beatles put out their Best albums last (White/let it Be/Abby Road) last.
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    Well I can see that because when u are young the bands are young and hungry but look at someone like Paul McCartney - he is putting out gems in his 70s and the Beatles put out their Best albums last (White/let it Be/Abby Road) last.

Some people would say those Beatles albums were all released in less than 10 years from when they started... not almost 30 years.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Those albums were stellar what made the Beatles the Beatles is they all could write songs even Ringo George had gems (Gently Weeps my fav Beatles song) and Paul and John were just at another level, I love how the Beatles stood the test of time and I want PJ to produce at that level cause they are all so talented and able!
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    Those albums were stellar what made the Beatles the Beatles is they all could write songs even Ringo George had gems (Gently Weeps my fav Beatles song) and Paul and John were just at another level, I love how the Beatles stood the test of time and I want PJ to produce at that level cause they are all so talented and able!

So unless Pearl Jam writes an album that matches the Beatles at their peak you're going to run their efforts down no matter how good?

• Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    This thread has turned to pure poppycock.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:

So unless Pearl Jam writes an album that matches the Beatles at their peak you're going to run their efforts down no matter how good?
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:

Not expecting Beatles at all but the point is that Beatles Out did themselves late in their careers cause they got better, I would expect something as good or better from PJ as they got the talent to do it. 

So far most In this thread ranks Gigaton bottom tier - I want/need PJ to do better since they are better musicians now, perhaps too distracted now? Don’t know, the pint is do their best work later since they are better - it’s possible but take more hard work and dedication than before since they lost the hunger - trust me adversity would bring out their best
    Post edited by JF116983 on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,389
    Trust him. He knows the band better than they know themselves. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    love the diehards - Just an individual with an opinion different than yours, I am bored today with quarantine so been replying more than usual (check my post numbers) don’t plan on days like this so might as well have some fun, why don’t you post your views on the album and why it’s so great/your take on it instead of try an attack? I honestly would like to read constructive opinions on the album - so far I can tell u not the only one who doesn’t like this album.

why do you like/dislike it?
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    JF116983 said:
    you don’t have to agree that’s what’s beautiful about the world we are all different - trust me I was as diehard a PJ fan as there was until I became a musician in late 90’s and started figuring out how to play songs be ear. 

My musical experience helps me realize when they get lazy because I myself have been there & written songs that I know were not the Best but were played cause we needed more songs and that’s what Gigaton is to me, an album of compromises with scraped songs - there is a reason for that (scrapped songs) but I don’t expect any diehards to understand, just putting it out there.

And by the way, I once had the opportunity to meet Stone Gossard and told him I figured out a song by ear with chords listed and he confirmed the chords and then was upset by that fact while discounting the individual who wrote it musically with his friends present (won’t disclose song/who as to not add controversy). I gained Stone’s respect that night as after the show he hung out with me an ordinary fan asking me about the show and talking shop. Stone is the glue of that band and the one that is most musically inclined there, my point is that I am sure Stone would agree Gigaton is not his best album and that’s really the pint of making albums, sound better than last time.
    It might be time to leave your Grandmother’s basement.  
  • Options
    If that makes u feel better about yourself, anyone with a constructive opinion or is this board that toxic?
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    All these reviews are fascinating - not so much the reviews, but the responses to the reviews.  Like, what fans are allowed to think or should think.  

Chances are if you’re on this chat you’re a pretty big fan.  Then the critiques evolve into the validity of an opinion in relation to factors like musical knowledge, can u play an instrument, etc.

I tried to think what my 13 year old self would have thought of this album, similar to my age when I heard Ten.  Impossible to know. 

I have spent so much time and money on this band.  And I wouldn’t change a second of it.  This album is ok, just ok, and that’s alright.  

Lose the damn Kalimba, cut out the damn layering.  Give me guitars, drums and Eddie being pissed writing quick, sharp, poignant lyrics.  

This album needed one thing - restraint.  Restraint on kalimba, restraint on the production, and  fewer damn words.  Yes, I agree w others on that. 

The 1 thing it seems everyone agrees on is this - Lightning Bolt was not good.  Like really not good.  

Gigaton is better than that.  We got 4 or 5 really strong songs.  That’s 4 or 5 more than we had this time last year.  
  • Options
    TN49724 said:
    All these reviews are fascinating - not so much the reviews, but the responses to the reviews.  Like, what fans are allowed to think or should think.  

Chances are if you’re on this chat you’re a pretty big fan.  Then the critiques evolve into the validity of an opinion in relation to factors like musical knowledge, can u play an instrument, etc.

I tried to think what my 13 year old self would have thought of this album, similar to my age when I heard Ten.  Impossible to know. 

I have spent so much time and money on this band.  And I wouldn’t change a second of it.  This album is ok, just ok, and that’s alright.  

Lose the damn Kalimba, cut out the damn layering.  Give me guitars, drums and Eddie being pissed writing quick, sharp, poignant lyrics.  

This album needed one thing - restraint.  Restraint on kalimba, restraint on the production, and  fewer damn words.  Yes, I agree w others on that. 

The 1 thing it seems everyone agrees on is this - Lightning Bolt was not good.  Like really not good.  

Gigaton is better than that.  We got 4 or 5 really strong songs.  That’s 4 or 5 more than we had this time last year.  
    Like your view here - just curious u didn’t like Sirens? Why not? That song was deep 
  • Options
    TN49724 said:

Like your view here - just curious u didn’t like Sirens? Why not? That song was deep for me
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    If that makes u feel better about yourself, anyone with a constructive opinion or is this board that toxic?
    Little bit self absorbed are ya?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    I would agree that it's probably going to end up being my favourite of the last 3.  I do love me some backspacer though.    Is it first five albums great?  I don't think so.   Do I have soft spots for Binaural an Riot act? yah. Is Avacado my favourite of the 2000's?  Definitely..  It really only leaves Gigaton to contend for spots 9,10, or 11 :(   It does grow on me more with each listen.   I suppose the things I don't like.. are some songs sound like they layered or effect eds voice.. especially during some courses..... I'd love to not have that.. it's one of the reasons I don't like many rock bands... they all sound like they got put through protools..... If you've got a singer who can sing... maybe record the old school way? :)
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    edited March 2020
    Really like this one, glad they gave a new producer a shot.  Love the loose song structures that keep your ear guessing the first few listens. Favorite part is the second half of Whoever Said where Ed and Matt speed up and build to the end.

Fast/mid tempo songs are all winners . Slow songs are fine and still growing on me.  Matt’s toms still sound Phil Collins-y on the slow ones though like  they did on Sirens. River Cross for example would be better without them.  

Only other gripe is that with that artwork, how do you NOT include “Of the Earth”?  It’s a picture of a cliff! And it’s a great song.

Overall this album is a welcome addition.  
    Post edited by Tremorman on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I would agree that it's probably going to end up being my favourite of the last 3.  I do love me some backspacer though.    Is it first five albums great?  I don't think so.   Do I have soft spots for Binaural an Riot act? yah. Is Avacado my favourite of the 2000's?  Definitely..  It really only leaves Gigaton to contend for spots 9,10, or 11 :(   It does grow on me more with each listen.   I suppose the things I don't like.. are some songs sound like they layered or effect eds voice.. especially during some courses..... I'd love to not have that.. it's one of the reasons I don't like many rock bands... they all sound like they got put through protools..... If you've got a singer who can sing... maybe record the old school way? :)
    Ed can belt for sure one of best tenor voices in music , I am with you on post that’s the reason I put this thread up I wanted to see constructive views good and or bad, thanks for sharing man
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    It is my least favorite of PJ albums after several listens.  I really only like one song.  I am not a fan of how Eddie sounds like he is mumbling a lot when singing and just a crap load of lyrics.  Along with the production.  If anyone other than PJ put this out they would be panned I think.

Doesnt make me less of a fan.  It is art and we are all allowed to be a critic.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:

on2legs said:
    JF116983 said:

Not expecting Beatles at all but the point is that Beatles Out did themselves late in their careers cause they got better, I would expect something as good or better from PJ as they got the talent to do it. 

So far most In this thread ranks Gigaton bottom tier - I want/need PJ to do better since they are better musicians now, perhaps too distracted now? Don’t know, the pint is do their best work later since they are better - it’s possible but take more hard work and dedication than before since they lost the hunger - trust me adversity would bring out their best

I have no idea what your point is anymore.  You actually typed "I love how the Beatles stood the test of time and I want PJ to produce at that level" and in your next post you type "Not expecting Beatles at all but the point is that Beatles Out did themselves late in their careers cause they got better, I would expect something as good or better from PJ as they got the talent to do it. "  

Sorry you didn't like the album.  Spin that Can't Deny Me single and relax with a nice glass of wine.  Enjoy.

• Options
    It is my least favorite of PJ albums after several listens.  I really only like one song.  I am not a fan of how Eddie sounds like he is mumbling a lot when singing and just a crap load of lyrics.  Along with the production.  If anyone other than PJ put this out they would be panned I think.

Doesnt make me less of a fan.  It is art and we are all allowed to be a critic.  
    I am with you, thanks for your views. I want them to be the best PJ they can be nothing more nothing less , only comparing to their own output and seeing other bands put out great material hurts cause PJ is my favorite band (I don’t just listen to PJ and have a diverse musical taste that includes blues, folk, country, and even R&B - I appreciate great music no matter who puts it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Again, they are the best Pearl Jam they can be and this album reflects that. Sorry you don’t agree.  Entertainers can’t please everyone so stop stating opinions like they are facts.  You are no higher authority.  That’s why you are being discounted.  Put on your flannel and Doc Martins and throw on those 90’s PJ albums.  I do that often and it still feels good. 
  • Options
    I don’t claim any of what u say, be careful to not judge as you do as you will be judged same way, you are attacking me for an opinion you don’t agree with even in this post. I don’t like the album so what? Why do you have to judge and post attacks? Why not post why you like the album, what your favorite songs are, why you think it’s great to you? I can respect that, hope you don’t act like you have been here in real life or you will be the one discounted real quick.

Ok let’s start over, why do you love your album over others? What do you not like if anything? Let’s go I know you can take emotions out of it and respect my opinion like I do yours.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,694
    TN49724 said:

Lightning Bolt is good. Not every song, but it is good. All of their albums are solid. I was 20 when Ten came out so I grew up with these guys. I’m reading the same kind of comments for this album that I heard with No Code and Yield and Binaural. Rinse and repeat. 20 years from now people will say this is a classic or their favorite album. 😂 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    I've likely said it too much, but again: "Comes Then Goes" times a million, this song is fucking incredible.  I hope everyone comes onboard soon.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Me and my wife are loving this album! Sounds like Pearl Jam to me.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,389
    It’s the way you are saying it. As if you could have guided them in a better direction. Your little I met Stone story and I am a musician I know this theme really prove it.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Great that ppl like this.

side question for those who like this album and have kids, what you think of boys want to grow lyric - will u play that song for your kids? 

I think it’s Ed’s worst lyric of his career & removed song from album download (no more CDs for me) but just wondering what others think

here is a little tidbit for those who care, I have an old friend since high school that loved PJ as much as I did - we even played PJ cover songs in a band and had lots of fun doing that.

After BS and LB he said he was done with PJ and went to U2 instead. He spent 400 bucks on U2 Gen Admin tix right after I know he would have spent that (and more) to see PJ but the lackluster albums did it for him - I can’t help but think many are starting to lose their patience with the band as well (what are the odds of me knowing the only one?) but those type don’t post here given all the diehards. 
    Post edited by JF116983 on
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    edited March 2020
    I don’t understand the whole “keep listening to it, it gets better” take.  That’s like asking someone to keep watching a movie over and over again...that it gets better on the 15th or 20th viewing.  

Now, certainly some songs can sound better live, so that’s possible.  That’s a whole different argument. 

Everyone seems to be ranking albums, that’s a trap I’ll avoid.  I think everyone knows we’re not here without the greatness of the first 5 albums.  Just next level stuff.  PJ set the bar so damn high - it’s almost unfair that we know they can be that good.  It’s also a shame that we know they have, admittedly at times, intentionally avoided writing “hits.”  Like it or not, those first 5 albums are filled with hits.  Some would say No Code doesn’t have any hits and I’d say sometimes/hail hail/In my Tree/Present Tense/Red Mosquito/smile/off he goes are all f’in incredible and i left off the others on the album and those are all awesome too.  So shit, No Code might be my favorite ever, but that’s what’s so frustrating about these guys.  

LB did have Pendulum.  Gigaton has a couple really good songs and some head scratchers.  I’ve tried a couple times this weekend to take everyone’s advice and keep listening and then I saw how silly an effort that was.  Quick Escape made the last 7 years worth the wait though.  Hell, that’s their best song since Yield. 

Hopefully Dirty Frank steals that fling Kalimba.  
    Post edited by TN49724 on