Options

Gigaton Album doesn’t Sound like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    Album has 4 great songs 5 good songs and 3 duds . My first opinion this album rocks. 
    Not really into a lot of the slow stuff. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    mshnayder said:
    JF116983 said:
    Serious if you remove Eddie Vedder vocals this would be another band.

What a weird comment....you literally could have said that after No Code came out and after Binaural came out and after Riot Act. It's what Pearl Jam does...their sound changes. Their sound has always constantly evolved...so in essence this album is exactly what makes Pearl Jam so great in that the sound has changed like they always do. 
    The difference was No Code is a great album.

Binaural and Riot Act, not so much.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,613
    Overall, this album might have the most impressive lyrics ever written by pearl jam. Suprised by some of the comments. Its very good, maybe great.
  • Options
    ao252010ao252010 Posts: 8
    edited March 2020
    JF116983 said:

I am not sure what to think right now as nothing hit me right away. Also, Vedder seems to be rambling more on this one than on previous albums like he doesn’t know what to sing, sort of like the live improvisations he does. Anyways, thoughts wheee does this tank for you? For me it’s bottom 2 albums (with backspacer).

Ok ready to get killed by all the die hards now,
    I love the fact that the band branched out so much with the music on the album. It’s the reason many of us love the Beatles so much, none of the instruments on their debut sound like they did on Revolver or on Abbey Road. 

That being said I don’t think the vocals on this album are nearly as good as the music. Other than Comes Then Goes it’s really hard to hear EV trying to fit 17 syllables where you should only be singing 8 on most of the other songs. I agree with you, it does sound a lot like improvised rambling namely on Never Destination. 

SBWM is probably my second favorite song on here. I still wish we’d seen Of The Earth. 
    Post edited by ao252010 on
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    Give it a chance and keep listening to all of the songs, they are great and you will eventually like/love the album. I am happy they put out new music and we have something to look forward to when they go back on tour.
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 745

If it was written, performed and recorded by Pearl Jam then it sounds like Pearl Jam.  If it doesn't sound like your expectations of how Pearl Jam should sound, that's an entirely different issue. 

I was lukewarm on Backspacer and hated a good 75% of Lightning Bolt.    I adore Gigaton though.   I'm a fan of Binaural, Riot Act and Acodado - but this is their best since Yield, in my opinion. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 273
    I just love how fresh it sounds. To me, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt sounded too familiar to each other - especially after a 4 year gap. To me, Gigaton's sound being all over the place is what makes it so awesome. I think it's their best work since Binaural.
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    After first full listen, better than I expected and definitely a step up from LB. Along with SBWM I’m digging Alright and Comes Than Goes. Gigaton isn’t cracking my top 5 although a solid effort. 
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Always glad to hear of fans not being on board.  It's a good indicator they're trying to mix things up instead of phoning it in.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    You could of just put your opinion in the thread that’s already there , don’t need a thread for everyone’s opinion it’s redundant..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    You could of just put your opinion in the thread that’s already there , don’t need a thread for everyone’s opinion it’s redundant..
    That's just your opinion. :wink:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    mfc2006 said:
    Touché no doubt Matt lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    mfc2006 said:
    Touché no doubt Matt lol 

Can we have a Second Opinion Thread?
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    I found the Christian rap song hidden after River Cross to be a strange choice.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rats619rats619 Posts: 72
    Love the energy of this record. Musically it is their best work yet. The music is flat out amazing! Just a shame that "wordy" Ed is back and for me that's not a good thing. Less is more! The vocals on the majority of the songs have very little "flow" with the music. It's almost like it's words vs. lyrics. Sounds to me like it's just his words put to the music with little thought to how they interact with each other vs. tailoring lyrics to flow with the music. I've never been a fan of Ed when he speaks the lyrics vs. singing them. I know he has a lot to say these days but that doesn't mean they make for great song vocals. I've been listening for 5 days now and bottom line for me is, I think the record is great and they are better than ever musically as a band just not a fan of the vocals (not all but most of the songs). 
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    JimmyV said:
    I found the Christian rap song hidden after River Cross to be a strange choice.
    LOL, I thought the same thing, the ending of River Cross is just so cringe in my opinion. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    I never was into the Lightning Bolt album like others on here were. So I  tempered expectations based on others opinions. In fact I barely  listen to
    it. There are good songs on this one especially Comes and Goes. I like Superblood Wolf Moon, Dance of the Clairvoyants is good, diggin Quick Escape. But a lot of slow songs and few rockers. Very introspective. It’s new music to add to the shuffle or playlist. But I’m not saying it connects to me the most. In fact I kinda wonder how some of these these new songs mesh with the hits in concert. Buckle Up is this albums Parachutes, Sleeping by Myself, or Speed of Sound. It gonna get skipped.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I think it's amazing. It sounds exactly like Pearl Jam - like new Pearl Jam, which is thrilling to me. I think it sounds like the whole band brought in new ideas and sounds from all their side projects and influences, hence the fresh sound.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's amazing. It sounds exactly like Pearl Jam - like new Pearl Jam, which is thrilling to me. I think it sounds like the whole band brought in new ideas and sounds from all their side projects and influences, hence the fresh sound.
    Boo hiss...
  • Options
    rats619rats619 Posts: 72
    ao252010 said:
    JF116983 said:

I am not sure what to think right now as nothing hit me right away. Also, Vedder seems to be rambling more on this one than on previous albums like he doesn’t know what to sing, sort of like the live improvisations he does. Anyways, thoughts wheee does this tank for you? For me it’s bottom 2 albums (with backspacer).

Ok ready to get killed by all the die hards now,
    I love the fact that the band branched out so much with the music on the album. It’s the reason many of us love the Beatles so much, none of the instruments on their debut sound like they did on Revolver or on Abbey Road. 

That being said I don’t think the vocals on this album are nearly as good as the music. Other than Comes Then Goes it’s really hard to hear EV trying to fit 17 syllables where you should only be singing 8 on most of the other songs. I agree with you, it does sound a lot like improvised rambling namely on Never Destination. 

SBWM is probably my second favorite song on here. I still wish we’d seen Of The Earth. 
    Spot on, IMO. The context of the lyrics is great. The presentation not so much. 
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    There are lots of new sounds, but plenty that “sound like PJ” too. The opening riffs of Who Ever Said, Take the Long Way and Never Destination sure sound distinctively PJ to me. Ed’s phrasing on Alright reminds me a lot of Who You Are. Lots of other moments scattered all over the album.

I think my favorite song right now is still DOTC, though others are gaining momentum. And that’s why I continue to love this band. Christ, these guys are in their 50’s and still surprising us, still capable of giving us an album like this. DOTC is a good encapsulation of what they “sound like” to me — “holy crap, what is this?? Wow. It’s...it’s amazing.” 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    Its almost as good as you can expect from them at this point....I give it a B Plus. Im not crazy about the last 4 songs being slow songs, even though i like them.....Maybe a 13th song like OF THE EARTH, or something else in between those 4 would have been great

VS
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    Gigaton
    Binaural
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    JF116983 said:
    I loved No Code day one
    Really? I call bullshit. When they released No Code they were at the height of their fame at that point in the 90's and that album sounded nothing like the first three which turned off a lot of people. Hell, it took me seeing those songs in a live setting before I ever went back and revisited that album. 
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited March 2020
    I find comparing an album you've heard a few times to one that's been around 10, 20, 30 years to be somewhat pointless.  Tough to rank until until its got some age on it
    BINGO! I mean who can logically rate this album against the others in their catalog until they've had an opportunity to see these songs live? Personally I think every track off Gigaton is going to translate well in a live setting. 
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • Options
    I love it.  I put it in a 3 way tie at # 5 on my list.
    Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Avocado / Gigaton / No Code
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot Act
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    edited March 2020
    It's good.   Definitely in the top half.  
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I love it.  I put it in a 3 way tie at # 5 on my list.
    Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Avocado / Gigaton / No Code
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    1. Vitalogy
    2. Yield
    3. Ten
    4. No Code
    5. Riot Act
    6. Vs.
    7. GIGATON
    8. Binaural
    9. Avocado
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Binaural
    7. GIGATON
    8. Avocado
    9. Riot Act
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt
  • Options
    JF116983 said:
    I loved No Code day one
    Really? I call bullshit. When they released No Code they were at the height of their fame at that point in the 90's and that album sounded nothing like the first three which turned off a lot of people. Hell, it took me seeing those songs in a live setting before I ever went back and revisited that album. 
    I loved No Code from the get go.  I heard Habbit and Lukin before the album and couldn't wait to hear those songs recorded.
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not a huge fan of any of their [recent] side projects.   I think a lot of the change has come from them being more individuals and not spending as much time with each other as they did 10-15 years ago.  Which is fine; just saying like with any relationship people start going in different directions.    Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.    
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste